PDA

View Full Version : GI: Cobb Sway Bars

Fobio
05-22-2008, 11:17 PM
Since Pat will be putting an order for more Cobb goodness, I thought I'd take the liberty of starting the "sway bars" thread. As per others, the front sway fitment issue has been resolved:

A direct replacement for the factory sway bars, the lightweight performance Swaybars improve handling, reduce body roll, and do not negatively impact ride quality or NHV. To improve handling and increase grip from the front of the vehicle, a larger, 35% stiffer than stock swaybar is utilized. CNC bent for a precise fit, the COBB front sway bar exactly replaces the factory swaybar and includes new mounting bushings.

In the rear, an adjustable swaybar is utilized to allow fine tuning of the vehicle’s handling. In both positions, cornering ability is greatly improved. Adjustment may be made in order to increase/decrease the rear swaybars effective stiffness. Compared to the stock swaybar, the COBB adjustable rear sway bar is 50% stiffer in the “soft” setting and 90% stiffer on the “hard” setting. Exactly replaces factory swaybar and includes new mounting bushings.

Pat, can you give us some pricing when available? Thanks in advance!

1. Fobio (front and rear)

RX9
05-23-2008, 12:22 AM
2. RX9 (springs and sways)

brecker
05-23-2008, 09:06 AM
I may be per-sway-ed into some sway bars.. :chuckle

kid_icarus
05-23-2008, 09:13 AM
3. kid_icarus (pending pricing)

mleblond
05-23-2008, 09:16 AM
4. mleblond (front and rear)(pending pricing also or else I will wait maybe a month)

CanadaGTO
05-23-2008, 09:34 AM
Hey guys.

Just a heads up. I'm bringing in 3 sets of sways and 2 more sets of springs.

I'm not going to have final pricing on these until I get them since the boxes are going to be hugh and I'm not going to have reliable shipping costs until they are actually shipped (2 to 3 weeks). I'm not going to make a list or take orders, but once I can calculate final pricing I'll post it and then you can all decide on if you want them or not :) I think that's the fairest since I don't want to tie you in in case pricing is too high for you or lock me into a price I have to change.

mleblond
05-23-2008, 09:39 AM
sounds good pat...I was gonna buy them directly from cobb anyways so I will mostlikely pick them up from you when you get them...2-3weeks also sounds good to me :)

CanadaGTO
05-23-2008, 10:52 AM
sounds good pat...I was gonna buy them directly from cobb anyways so I will mostlikely pick them up from you when you get them...2-3weeks also sounds good to me :)

I'll for sure be cheaper than buying from Cobb directly or SU directly. Shipping on those is very high, and I take care of clearance.

mleblond
05-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Thats what i like to hear :)

Gizzmo_jr
05-23-2008, 11:06 AM
Thats what i like to hear :)
Me too :) Dib's on you know what

mleblond
05-23-2008, 11:13 AM
Me too :) Dib's on you know what
yep :)

Fobio
05-23-2008, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the heads up pat. I'm sure your pricing will be better than than SU's, so please put me down for a set FOR SURE!

As for others, can they persuade you to bring in more than 3?

CanadaGTO
05-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Doubtful on the first shipment. I want to see what shipping is like.

kid_icarus
05-23-2008, 12:23 PM
i'm happy to wait for 2nd shipment to see what your pricing is like and maybe 2nd shipment will get more ppl in and better pricing?? haha

Ghost
05-25-2008, 12:31 PM
4. mleblond (front and rear)(pending pricing also or else I will wait maybe a month)
5. Ghost (Rear only)

CanadaGTO
05-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Just want to make sure that everyone realizes that the "list" is not binding. Since pricing is still up in the air I'm not going to hold anyone to a purchase and you can't hold me to any specific list order :)

Unoriginalusername
05-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Just want to make sure that everyone realizes that the "list" is not binding. Since pricing is still up in the air I'm not going to hold anyone to a purchase and you can't hold me to any specific list order :)

you know my cobb addiction problem, let me know when its time

SP33D 3
05-28-2008, 04:13 PM
i'd be interested for front and rear depending on pricing

kingpin748
05-29-2008, 12:36 PM
5. Ghost (Rear only)
6. kingpin748(springs and sways)

CanadaGTO
06-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Guess what's coming in mid next week???

Pricing available when they get here.

mleblond
06-06-2008, 02:17 PM
lol guess whos coming to toronto on friday the 13th :chuckle damn you Pat!

Garu
06-06-2008, 02:23 PM
Any news on SRIs Pat?

CanadaGTO
06-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Still no news on the SRI's..... close though :)

Just to confirm. 3 sets of sways (front and rear together) and 2 sets of springs on this order.

mleblond
06-06-2008, 03:13 PM
hey Pat PM me when they get here :) I have to be at Jimmy's for 9:30 on friday so it would be nice to install them at the same time :) Hoping I can get a set :blush

CanadaGTO
06-06-2008, 03:27 PM
When they get here and I post prices in this thread, it's first come first served..... No dibs on these since pricing is not firmed up yet.

mleblond
06-06-2008, 03:30 PM
*Subscribes to thread*

Fobio
06-06-2008, 04:44 PM
*woot*

mleblond
06-11-2008, 09:28 PM
I want it NOW! :) are they in? Check PM!

CanadaGTO
06-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Came in today, just finished pricing.

$405 + taxes for the sways, $275 + taxes for the springs.

2 sways sets left and 2 springs left, got your PM mleblond, you're set.

Those are cash prices. +3% for paypal.

Fobio
06-11-2008, 11:37 PM
PM sent!

CanadaGTO
06-12-2008, 08:32 AM
One set of springs left.

Another order going in today. Pricing is firmed up now, as long as the $ doesn't tank.

kid_icarus
06-12-2008, 09:15 AM
darn those sways are way out of my price range right now =(

has cobb provided any product information updates on these new sways? are they better?

mleblond
06-12-2008, 09:20 AM
Well it's 380 US off their website....what were you expecting?

Fobio
06-12-2008, 09:30 AM
darn those sways are way out of my price range right now =(

^^ when you think this through, you'll come to the natural conclusion that your OEM sways will need a new home anyway ;)

so turn that frown upside down!

CanadaGTO
06-12-2008, 09:32 AM
^^ when you think this through, you'll come to the natural conclusion that your OEM sways will need a new home anyway ;)

Smart thinking :)

Gizzmo_jr
06-12-2008, 09:40 AM
if you made mleblond happy, you made me happy :)
Sways and cat-back for all, hurray :bana

kid_icarus
06-12-2008, 10:32 AM

so turn that frown upside down!

if i can sell my sways for 300 i'll take these lol.

mleblond.. wasn't expecting much haha but hoping for a suprise

Unoriginalusername
06-12-2008, 10:40 AM
if i can sell my sways for 300 i'll take these lol.

mleblond.. wasn't expecting much haha but hoping for a suprise

i think 250-300 is the avg.

mleblond
06-12-2008, 10:51 AM
lol how stiff are you gonna go fobio? And who got the third set?

Fobio
06-12-2008, 11:04 AM
lol how stiff are you gonna go fobio? And who got the third set?

the way I understand it, if you just got the rear, then you should go soft, but if you're getting fronts as well, as in our case, I'd go full stiff in the rear too...(that line sounds wrong)...

I've also noticed that now, as I'm going into the corners at more appropraite speeds, that getting the back to come around is a bit easier...

for those who haven't had a chance to glimpse at the article...Road and Track did a little tuner shootout and the MS3 was represented by an Autoexe show car, and believe it or not, R&T actually said the car feels a little RWD...I don't know if that's really a good thing or not, but I'm looking forward to trying these Cobb sways out!

kid_icarus
06-12-2008, 11:08 AM
are these bars adjustable for stiffness or something?
or you guys just mean bolting it on and end of story in terms of stiffness?

sorry i'm a noob, but am curious.

RWD sounds interesting lol.
if that's what they're comparing it too

mleblond
06-12-2008, 11:10 AM
the rear bar has 2 settings "stiff" and "stiffer" lol it's not 100% customizable like some other products out there

Gizzmo_jr
06-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Um do the cobb's have multiple holes for the bolt? That changes the rotational arc making it more stiff/soft.

Unoriginalusername
06-12-2008, 11:12 AM
the way I understand it, if you just got the rear, then you should go soft, but if you're getting fronts as well, as in our case, I'd go full stiff in the rear too...(that line sounds wrong)...

I've also noticed that now, as I'm going into the corners at more appropraite speeds, that getting the back to come around is a bit easier...

for those who haven't had a chance to glimpse at the article...Road and Track did a little tuner shootout and the MS3 was represented by an Autoexe show car, and believe it or not, R&T actually said the car feels a little RWD...I don't know if that's really a good thing or not, but I'm looking forward to trying these Cobb sways out!

link to the article?

mleblond
06-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Um do the cobb's have multiple holes for the bolt? That changes the rotational arc making it more stiff/soft.

"In the rear, an adjustable swaybar is utilized to allow fine tuning of the vehicle’s handling. In both positions, cornering ability is greatly improved. Adjustment may be made in order to increase/decrease the rear swaybars effective stiffness. Compared to the stock swaybar, the COBB adjustable rear sway bar is 50% stiffer in the “soft” setting and 90% stiffer on the “hard” setting. Exactly replaces factory swaybar and includes new mounting bushings."

Fobio
06-12-2008, 11:15 AM
well..the autoexe car prolly has a full suspension upgrade...coilovers, sways, front/rear and top/bottom chassis braces, making the car super stiff...here's the article (from Road and Track):

Also on hand that day was a slick package for the Mazdaspeed3 built by AutoExe. A sporty body kit makes the BK-03 instantly distinguishable from the stock Mazdaspeed3, and thanks to a new intercooler and a host of breathing improvements, the AutoExe hatchback is noticeably quicker. The handling has been drastically improved via a new suspension, and the car felt more like a rear-wheel driver around the Motegi short road course. AutoExe hasn't officially entered the U.S. market, but that may soon change, according to a company spokesperson

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z245/mberescik/cusc6.jpg

kid_icarus
06-12-2008, 11:15 AM
"In the rear, an adjustable swaybar is utilized to allow fine tuning of the vehicle’s handling. In both positions, cornering ability is greatly improved. Adjustment may be made in order to increase/decrease the rear swaybars effective stiffness. Compared to the stock swaybar, the COBB adjustable rear sway bar is 50% stiffer in the “soft” setting and 90% stiffer on the “hard” setting. Exactly replaces factory swaybar and includes new mounting bushings."

seems like the rears play the most pivotal role?
how would only having the rears work? and no cobbs on the front? any negative consequences from doing so?

90% stiffer is really a big increase... almost hard to imagine

mleblond
06-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Ah man I want that front bumper!!!!

seems like the rears play the most pivotal role?
how would only having the rears work? and no cobbs on the front? any negative consequences from doing so?

90% stiffer is really a big increase... almost hard to imagine

yes rear would be the best to get if you only get the on but setting it a 90% may give you less stability....what fobio said early makes more sense! I would get both at the same time. Save on installation and a bit on bundled product.... CTA Pat FTW cobble cobble

Unoriginalusername
06-12-2008, 11:28 AM
i don't recommend just one sway bar... that is like saying i am wearing sandles now which perform ok when i try to job so i am going to upgrade to running shoes, but only on one foot. you get miss matched performance.

you are changing the weight transfer and chassis load points on just the rear of the car which can lead to an out of balance handling car... in this case it would make the rear less predictable and more prone to spining out without notice

CanadaGTO
06-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Just got a nice order of sways and springs in. If anyone is interested, get ahold of me before they are gone.

Unoriginalusername
06-25-2008, 03:00 PM
Just got a nice order of sways and springs in. If anyone is interested, get ahold of me before they are gone.

i'll do one pickup next week :bana2