PDA

View Full Version : Highway stone chips are taking their toll

SilentJay
06-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Hey guys,
I've had my car for about... 10-11 months now, and since I do 90% highway driving, PLUS I had this horrible event:

http://torontomazda3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20623

I'm looking into the prospects (and costs) behind getting the hood and front bumper repainted. Far be it from me to be cheap (*snicker*), but ballpark figures, anyone know what i'd be looking at for repainting, legit and under the table?

Once this is done, i'll do what I should've done when I first bought the car and get the clear bra :bang gotta pay for my stupidity :loco

Takumi616
06-10-2008, 05:47 PM
yea I have the same problem :complain

theurgy
06-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Always remember that an after market paint job will never match a factory paint job.
Think about maybe getting a new bumper with factory paint from a wrecker... and then apply the clear bra from there.

Mafty
06-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Always remember that an after market paint job will never match a factory paint job.
Think about maybe getting a new bumper with factory paint from a wrecker... and then apply the clear bra from there.

not true. ive had my entire side of my car repainted because my car was broken into. it all depends who you have repaint.......

i had Pfaff repaint mine (only because insurance paid for it lol), now their work is expensive, but its 100% perfect. you wouldnt be able to tell which side was repainted, its a perfect match to factory paint

SilentJay
06-10-2008, 07:53 PM
>.< Expensive is like my Kryptonite.

mazdathree
06-10-2008, 08:57 PM
not true. ive had my entire side of my car repainted because my car was broken into. it all depends who you have repaint.......

i had Pfaff repaint mine (only because insurance paid for it lol), now their work is expensive, but its 100% perfect. you wouldnt be able to tell which side was repainted, its a perfect match to factory paint

+1

It really depends who does the paint job. I had a previous Mazda 3 hit from behind and was damn pissed about it....had the repairs done through insurance and could not even tell that the car was hit....

bj21
06-11-2008, 10:20 AM

i could tell - 100% guarantee it

re-paint will never be as good factory

Takumi616
06-11-2008, 10:54 AM
i could tell - 100% guarantee it

re-paint will never be as good factory

yea true......

theurgy
06-11-2008, 12:03 PM
It's not a question of look... it's a fact that no body shop, no matter where you go, has the proper baking ovens and spray facilities to get anywhere near factory paint quality.
The colour will look the same, however to anyone who knows about paint and detailing, it's not the same.
The only people who can reproduce it properly are high end hot rod paint shops and they are both expensive and extremely exclusive. The cost for after product disposal etc... it difficult and too expensive for most shops to handle.

SilentJay
06-11-2008, 12:55 PM
Right, so back onto topic, can anyone answer my questions?

Junior
06-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Right, so back onto topic, can anyone answer my questions?

cheapest for a hood - 250-300
cheapest for front bumper - 350-400

Depends on how much prep work needs to be done, or if you want old paint striped or not. If you find a shop that wants to do cash deal without receipts, you can haggle a combo deal.

Maaco can do it for less, but you pay for what you get. IMO.