PDA

View Full Version : Serivce @ Mechanic or Dealer?

kid_icarus
06-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Advantages Disadvantages everyoen?

For all those who are UNDER warranty still.
Where do you guys usually go?

I was just thinking about it since when I saw Garu a few weeks ago, he said he always brings his car into Jimmy for service.

I wanted to hear what you guys had to say.

Personally, I think mechanics are a little more flexible to my time and can do a good job, especially if i'm familiar with them and trust them and are usually the same price if not cheaper.

So what do you guys think?

From some posts I've read, it is NOT MANDATORY to bring your vehicle into dealer to maintain your warranty correct? as long as you show receipt for service records?

I know if there is a TSB and recall I should obviously bring it back to dealer, but otherwise for the general oil change, lube, inspections and etc... does it really matter?

Wild Weasel
06-16-2008, 01:02 PM
It's definitely not mandatory to get the service done at a dealer. Only a dealer can do recalls. For other stuff, if you have a mechanic that you trust and prefer to going to a dealer, then by all means do so and keep the service records.

p-o-g-i
06-16-2008, 01:44 PM
Since my Mazda is under warranty, I just bring it there. But if there any repairs that need to be made that is not under warranty, I just bring it to a mechanic I've been using for a while.

With my wife's Rav4, we take it to Toyota for oilchanges and such, but once there is a repair that needs to be made, we just ask them to note it for us and we take it to the mechanic I know and trust, who charges me less.

Fuman
06-17-2008, 01:22 AM
dealer for regular maintance and warranty work.
depending on the prices of the recommended services that the dealer recommends, I might do it there.
it is less of a hassle if I ever have to do a big warranty claim

x_o_k_x
06-17-2008, 01:27 AM
you could go to your mechanic or even fix it yourself, make sure you keep the bills of service, so that its still covered under warranty and proofs that you are still doing your regular services. Even for oil changes, if you do it yourself, keep the bills of filter and oil, that way they know you still doing your services otherwise it voids your warranty.

kid_icarus
06-17-2008, 09:09 AM
you could go to your mechanic or even fix it yourself, make sure you keep the bills of service, so that its still covered under warranty and proofs that you are still doing your regular services. Even for oil changes, if you do it yourself, keep the bills of filter and oil, that way they know you still doing your services otherwise it voids your warranty.

cool
i guess overall i just want to know that going to a mechanic and having proof of service is enough to avoid hassles

i mean if NOT going to the dealer is gonna cause warranty issues... then i'll stick to the dealer, but personally i think dealers, no matter how good.. usually take a lot longer than necessary, not to mention the wait times are sometimes ridiculous

loganm3
06-19-2008, 10:26 AM
This is my experience from owning four different cars, an old ass Jeep with over 200km, a Protege 5 not under warrenty and a Mazda 3 with warrenty.

The Jeep: I would just do the oil changes in my driveway. 20 bucks later I'd be good for another 5000km. This is the cheapest, but you need 30-60 mins to do it. All other service was done by me, air filters, tire rotation, etc... But the good old beast really didn't need much work.

The Protege 5: Took it to my local mechanic, oil changes about $40 and service was reasonable. I had to re-do the brakes, new front rotors and all new pads was $300. Small shops are good in price, but I did have to take the TTC home and hitch a ride to pick the car up. But be warned, I had a TRUSTED shop that my family had been going to since 1993. I have heard some bad stories about small shops ripping people off. On the other hand a good shop isn't hard to find, my co-worker found a good small shop around the corner from our office.

The GTX: Well that's a money-pit....it is only touched by my race mechanic and he's not cheap. Not the right guy for minor service.

Mazda 3: I go to the dealer a few blocks from where I work. Non-service oil changes are $41.75 tax in (got one yesterday) regular maintence (every 24km) runs about $100. I get a ride in their van back and forth, any recalls are delt with and I have had a few minor problems like a broken trim piece and they fix it with no hasstle.

The moral of the story, do what you are comfortable with. For me, as long as you don't get the add-ons like windsheild washer fluid, tire rotation (like come on $20 to zip the tires on and off??) and other crap the prices are pretty good. Add in a ride to and from the dealership, it's worth the little extra. Be sure to tell them you ONLY want an oil change...if you don't they will just tack it on. Also, some dealership charge more or less for an oil change so be sure to call around.

What I will mention is DO NOT go to a Jiffy Lube. They charge a fortune. I paid $90 for an oil change once. They don't know what you need to keep a valid warrenty, and the service isn't that great. They play dumb to up-sell you on everything....and you have to pay more for a "Mazda" oil filter. The worst part about my jiffy lube experience (other than paying more than double what it should have cost) is I didn't even get my free coffee and newspaper!

McGuyver_3
06-20-2008, 08:55 AM
i do all my services myself seing how everytime i went to the dealer for some kind of warranty work all they did was give me troubles. They were never able to verify any of my concerns. :@ but ohh well thats the down side of trying to explain the problem 100% so they understand.

kid_icarus
07-05-2008, 11:19 AM
thanks for all your inputs.

question... does doing an oil change on a mazdaspeed 3 vs a mazda 3 require any major "differences" in terms of how the oil change is done?

i'm assuming it's just the same old thing right?

aka should it be necessary to emphasize that the speed 3 is turbo??

McGuyver_3
07-05-2008, 12:02 PM
IMO an oil change is an oil change haha. The only difference you may have is that your oil filter may be a cartridge instead of the aluminum/metal one. Personally i recommend you use pure synthetic to do your oil change but mazda uses semi synthetic

kid_icarus
07-05-2008, 12:52 PM
IMO an oil change is an oil change haha. The only difference you may have is that your oil filter may be a cartridge instead of the aluminum/metal one. Personally i recommend you use pure synthetic to do your oil change but mazda uses semi synthetic

the guy that did it for me today used castrol gtx 5w30? is that okay?
i'm not sure how to tell if it's semi or not?

Flagrum_3
07-05-2008, 08:54 PM
the guy that did it for me today used castrol gtx 5w30? is that okay?
i'm not sure how to tell if it's semi or not?

Castrol gtx is a conventional oil, you should really be using a Synthetic for your Speed, for ultimate protection.The 5w-30 is the correct grade though!

_3

kid_icarus
07-06-2008, 12:05 AM
is it really bad to use conventional on the speed 3? i'm slightly worried. maybe i should just switch the oil again right away to synthetic now even though i had the oil changed just today lol.

any suggestions?

McGuyver_3
07-06-2008, 04:25 AM
The saying is once you cross over to synthetic you cant turn back. personally i think it is bogus because if you are using synthetic the seals should be better then regular oil cars so it should be fine. But i would recomend you go back to synthetic

Flagrum_3
07-06-2008, 08:23 AM
is it really bad to use conventional on the speed 3? i'm slightly worried. maybe i should just switch the oil again right away to synthetic now even though i had the oil changed just today lol.

any suggestions?

Don't bother changing it again, it's not a bad thing to use conventional oil, its just far better to use synthetic for your turbo powered vehicle in many ways.
Just change it to synthetic at your next scheduled change or sooner if you like....whatever makes you feel more comfortable...I just wouldn't go racing the thing till then, personally. :)

_3

06Touring3
07-09-2008, 09:34 AM
I have a couple questions...

What about these special services Mazda says you "need to have done" that they charge like $200 for. Necessary??

Also, for you guys that use synthetic oil (NON-Speed3's) what filter do you use? Just regular Mazda filters or FRAM etc...? Reason being I think I'm going to switch to synthetic oil but i'm not sure how to go about the filter situation

Flagrum_3
07-10-2008, 08:05 AM
I have a couple questions...

What about these special services Mazda says you "need to have done" that they charge like $200 for. Necessary??

Also, for you guys that use synthetic oil (NON-Speed3's) what filter do you use? Just regular Mazda filters or FRAM etc...? Reason being I think I'm going to switch to synthetic oil but i'm not sure how to go about the filter situation

What special services might you mean? ...more details please!

I for one just use the Mazda filters they're good enough for the purpose, its the oil that counts! ...plus I think I read somewhere here that the Mazda filters are made by Purolator, which is a good brand.....someone correct me if I'm wrong.

_3

06Touring3
07-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Sorry these are what I'm talking about...

http://torontomazda3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10711

It seems like whenever I call Mazda (Whitby) to book an appointment they tell me I need to get these $200 services done (I've gotten a couple done and just feel ripped off at the end)

Flagrum_3
07-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Sorry these are what I'm talking about...

http://torontomazda3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10711

It seems like whenever I call Mazda (Whitby) to book an appointment they tell me I need to get these $200 services done (I've gotten a couple done and just feel ripped off at the end)

I for one believe that most of those services are useless, you can perform most of them yourself, i.e; checking levels, belts etc; You have a 5 speed, so basically your looking at oil/filter changes every 8k and cleaning/lubing brakes every 24k, air filter at 48k, till you hit 90k or so nothing else is really needed...Mind you many including myself have switched to synthetic gear oil for the standard tranny, it helps with the notchiness and offers better protection....Also, I am hitting 75k now and am planning on changing my plugs soon, I don't want to wait till 120k as I'm a little worried about them being seized in the head....which would really suck.

Hope that helps.

_3

06Touring3
07-11-2008, 08:40 AM
yeah that clears it up...i never even considered syn tran fluid....good idea

IrishmanM3
07-13-2008, 11:56 AM
Hi new to the board...
I noticed this "the biz" guy works @ Toronto Mazda. I am buying one from there atm and was wondering if Toronto Mazda recognizes forum members with service discounts?

As a former Toronto-Subaru-club member we had places that would give a good deal on purchase but also some that extended a % discount for all service from oil change to major repair.

Just wondering if any of the dealers out there offer a similar set up? Ty for the info in advance, love this site already ;)

06Touring3
07-13-2008, 02:22 PM
yes I believe it's 20% at select dealerships

http://torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=22297

IrishmanM3
07-13-2008, 06:54 PM
Thanx for that. Still gettin used to the size of the forum and all the info. Looks like a great community you have here.

06Touring3
07-13-2008, 08:09 PM
no problem man. it's a lot to sift through but you eventually find what you need

wantboost
09-30-2008, 07:59 AM
Say if u dont do things like clean the piston pins.
Can they not clam warranty of something happens within the system?

Noisy Crow
09-30-2008, 08:54 AM
Can they not clam warranty of something happens within the system?

If you did clean your "piston pins" you wouldn't have any engine warranty left, as you would need to disassemble the engine to do that!

MRT_MS3
10-01-2008, 04:18 PM

any suggestions?

Just make sure you change your oil at 4000K or less. Do not go crazy on the gas pedal as turbo's does not like conventional oil. :)

Can they not clam warranty of something happens within the system? I've never heard somebody clean their pistons rings. They either upgrade or change them. :chuckle

wantboost
10-01-2008, 04:23 PM
caliper pins! watever they are called. was trying to give an example.

MRT_MS3
10-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Ok. you meant Caliper Pistons.:chuckle
Caliper pistons does not require cleaning but you must check the boot and make sure its not ripped or leaking.

wantboost
10-02-2008, 02:42 AM
ok, i thought i read that on the maintanace schdule...
But im giving an example if u dont do something little like that will they void your whole warreenty of just for that system

fjb2378
10-04-2008, 02:32 AM
Smoked the bottom belt in the engine compartment, curious as to whether i should fix it right away or not. I did make it home so from what my friend says power steering and drive train should be okay. possibly the A/C or climate control may be an issue...

Can anybody fill me in on what it may be before i bring it out to see a real mechanic? Need to know what that bottom belt gear may be for?

rick10
10-04-2008, 07:03 PM
screw the dealer. The overcharge you on almost everything. It is a shame they do that.

Also most of the dealerships have apprentices from college doing the work on your car , so its not like you are getting a experience mechanic working on it (if you are lucky you may get one)

I only took my car to the dealership once to determine a problem in my jetta, i got charge like 120 just to look at the car and put the computer on , they could not even figured out the problem and they wanted me to change a few things but they could not assure me the problem was going to be fix

I take my car to a small garage, they scan my car for free. I recently change my timming belt and water pump for my honda for like 300 -350. I called the honda dealer and they wanted 800 $

my advice, only take it to the dealer if warranty covers you , otherwise avoid dealers unless you have the money to spend.

wantboost
10-05-2008, 08:08 AM
Fine print? If u service the car elsewhere i think u have to use oem parts. IF u try to claim warranty... i ve seen on other manufactures

mazdaagain
10-29-2008, 02:14 AM
You can get oil changes done anywhere as long as you keep the invoices as proof of service.
If you go to a shop other than the dealer and they do work on your car, it voids the warranty if that part or any other related part needs warranty repair. The manufacturer does not take responsibility for non-dealer shop work that may or may not cause other problems or damage.
You take your risk if you get major work done away from the dealer. For example if an independant shop does work on your brakes, especially if they use non OEM parts, warranty work on anything related to the brakes could be refused because they could claim that the other shop installed things wrong or damaged the brake system.

My brother in law put major mods on his car and engine while still under warranty. He then had major problems with the engine. He tried to restore the engine to factory spec. The dealer refused warranty work on the engine and he ended up having to completely replace his engine at his own cost.

lightingwhite32008.5
10-29-2008, 11:26 PM
if u bring your own oil and also filter can the dealer change it still or they refuse it

blackspeed3
10-31-2008, 10:38 AM
if u bring your own oil and also filter can the dealer change it still or they refuse it

I'd like to know that too! Sometimes they have smoking deals at parts source or crappy tire on synthetic....about 1/3 cheaper then the dealer.

Zoom Zoom Boy
10-31-2008, 03:30 PM

I'd like to know that too! Sometimes they have smoking deals at parts source or crappy tire on synthetic....about 1/3 cheaper then the dealer.

I have been taking my own synthetic oil to the dealerships for about 10 years now. Never had an issue. I prefer to use the OEM oil filter though, but I want the oil of my choice going into the vehicle.

Make sure, if you bring your own oil and or filter, that they give you a discount on the service commensurate to how much the oil and filter charge would be. To make sure, ask them upfront, how much the service is and how much the oil and/or filter portion of the service is. Then you will know you are not being charged for it.

Donutz
10-31-2008, 08:27 PM
I have been taking my own synthetic oil to the dealerships for about 10 years now. Never had an issue. I prefer to use the OEM oil filter though, but I want the oil of my choice going into the vehicle.

Make sure, if you bring your own oil and or filter, that they give you a discount on the service commensurate to how much the oil and filter charge would be. To make sure, ask them upfront, how much the service is and how much the oil and/or filter portion of the service is. Then you will know you are not being charged for it.

I have to agree. I've been bringing in my own synthetic oil to the dealership for years and never had an issue. I usually by OEM Mazda filters though. You'll definitely want to know what the dealer price is up front though. I was told by the dealership that the oil only costs them like $10 so the discount isn't the greatest, but at least you get the oil that you want.

Recently I've been getting my work done by Jimmy and not the dealership. I will keep my major service intervals at Mazda though.

lightingwhite32008.5
11-01-2008, 12:03 AM
Is any mazda dealer ok or the ones listed on the mazda site for discounts, is better for handle your oil changes