PDA

View Full Version : Where to get Paint Chips Fixed?

brecker
07-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Has anyone had their paint chips touched up professionally? If so, any recommendations?

Or, Is anyone on this forum really good at it, and wants to make some cash? :)

Unoriginalusername
07-02-2008, 09:58 PM
subscribing as i have some i need to get fixed too

Garu
07-02-2008, 11:16 PM
After fighting over a humongous chip on my hood numerous times (Undoing, redoing countless times) there is no way to fix it back to how it was on Crystal White Pearl cars.
This is because CWP is actually 2 paint in one, which are Crystal White and Pearl. You can buy the touch up paint pen from dealer, the paint is crystal white, the clear coat actually have pearl in them.

Now, applying just the paint is quite easy.
- Put a dab on a chip, wait about 5 to 10 min, when the paint is close to being harden just wipe out with a lint free fabric (old t shirt is best). If done correctly it will look so perfect, the paint will be only where the chip is.

But here's the problem. In order to get the pearl you need to apply the clear coat. But in order to apply correct amount of clear coat, it has to be super super thin layer. There is no way getting that with a human hand. I tried countless times to apply thin layer, which I got it very close after many tries. However it will not look perfect. That's because there is no way of wiping off the excess after applying it. If you try to wipe it off, it will just take the whole thing off along with the paint.

For the hood I'm just living with it, for other parts, I just apply the paint, I don't bother with the clear coat.
Welp that's the beauty of having CWP car.

brecker
07-03-2008, 08:10 AM
Now, applying just the paint is quite easy.
- Put a dab on a chip, wait about 5 to 10 min, when the paint is close to being harden just wipe out with a lint free fabric (old t shirt is best). If done correctly it will look so perfect, the paint will be only where the chip is.

Thanks for the tip, now get a video "How-To" and post it up :)

No one knows where to professionally get this done?

alhope34
07-03-2008, 09:50 PM
Wow, I never knew about the wiping thing. So now I have about 100 blotchy covered chips on my hood. The patches chips look darker than the actual paint...ugh. Is there any way at all to buff this stuff out? Can a pro body shop buff it out?

mit-gee-mui
07-03-2008, 11:15 PM
There is the name of one company that does mobile touchups in post 2.
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=13798&highlight=paint+chips

erratic
07-04-2008, 12:09 AM
I fought with my hood for a few days too trying to get the CWP to match. Applied, then re-applied and re-applied. I still wasn't satisfied. Eventurally I just had to live with how it looked. I guess it doesn't bother me too much anymore, I try not to look at it.