PDA

View Full Version : Toronto to limit Idling to 10 sec!

gunslingeru
07-04-2008, 04:14 PM
http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_24461.aspx

I know this isn't a by-law yet, but won't that cause problems for us?
Our manual states that after hard driving or highway driving to idle the car up to 1 minute.

Gunslingeru

Fobio
07-04-2008, 04:18 PM
there current by-law of 3 minutes are enforced sporadically, and usually reserved for extreme cases...such as unloading or ppl just idling in front of a store...cuz you don't see the po-po waiting for you guys at the timmie's drive-thru line-up yet...

I think we'll be fine...

x_o_k_x
07-04-2008, 04:24 PM
10 sec is a little extreme, but down to 1min would sound alot better

stormin84
07-04-2008, 04:47 PM
10 secs the red lights are longer then 10 secs so i guess you have to turn off your car because you are going to sitting longer then 10 seconds at a light...

Flagrum_3
07-04-2008, 06:31 PM
10 secs the red lights are longer then 10 secs so i guess you have to turn off your car because you are going to sitting longer then 10 seconds at a light...

I don't think the law pertains to when your on the road, its more for people stopping places and leaving the vehicle idling, like at stores, banks etc;.
Weird part is I heard the same people who came up with this new by-law were contemplating banning drive-thrus in the city....now that would be something!, how do you suppose that would effect Timmies?

_3

RX9
07-04-2008, 09:32 PM
they just made the rules but its usually effected at busy area such like downtown toronto. my turbo timer has set to 1min, and i park on the timmies everynight for a coffee without any hassla so far (there are always police car stop by for a coffee at that time).

stormin84
07-04-2008, 09:43 PM
I don't think the law pertains to when your on the road, its more for people stopping places and leaving the vehicle idling, like at stores, banks etc;.
Weird part is I heard the same people who came up with this new by-law were contemplating banning drive-thrus in the city....now that would be something!, how do you suppose that would effect Timmies?

_3

well i know that....

Seliina
07-04-2008, 10:25 PM
I agree with this law.
It's to reduce pollution.
If you're stopped on the side of the road for more than 10 seconds, chances are you're stopped for at least a minute so you may as well turn your engine off.

tweak_s
07-04-2008, 11:46 PM
Cold starts..I understand leaving it on a for a bit longer.

Like seriously, yes our engines may be designed to run well in sub zero temperatures, but I'm sorry Mazda.... your defrosters dont work instantly yet :P.

Now other than that though...I think idling is stupid.

Hell, the lines at some timmies in the city I just sahek my head at.

Its seriously faster to go in and get your butt out, rather than sit there waste gas and pollute.

I agree with this law, as long as its not enforced for people turning on their cars to defrost in the winter.

Flagrum_3
07-05-2008, 08:15 AM
well i know that....

Sorry, didn't sound like sarcasm when I read it.

back on topic;

Anyways, IMO the law is stupid and a cop-out by the powers to be, they should be looking more at deisel vehicles and their excessive polluting!....even the city's own fleets of pick-ups, cube vans etc; are deisel.Do some research on the internet on the effects of deisel exhaust....its scary!

And they should be putting some of the billions they collect in gas taxes towards finding a cleaner solution....on another note I read somewhere several years ago that the worst polluting Honda engine in that particular year put out only about 8% of the pollutants of the average vehicle just 10 years earlier.
With all the new technology, most vehicles of today pollute very little, but obviously there are probably many more too!....Point being, I have a notion that it is not the average vehicle that is to blame but several other culprits are the main cause, such as deisel vehicles, industry etc;....so why don't they clamp down on them instead of the normal guy.

With that said mind you, I am not a proponent of excessive idling either, but 10 seconds is rediculous.

_3

wtom
07-06-2008, 03:33 AM
They should do something about the border-crossings! I'm sure we've all experienced the 3+ hour waits at the border where you can't exactly shut off the engine because every minute or so you have to move ahead anyway.

I'm sure the pollution coming out of border crossings during the long weekends is far worse than a few random peeps idling for 3+ minutes.

Gotta love the powers that (shouldn't) be.