PDA

View Full Version : broken rear endlinks

lancesir
07-07-2008, 03:12 PM
After a year with MS sway bars, the driver's side rear endlink needs to be replaced. I had the sway's installed the same week I got the car.

I've heard of loose screws after install but has anyone else had to replace endlinks? I'm wondering if MS sway's need bigger rear endlinks. But after some searching it doesn't seem like we do, and I couldn't find larger rear endlinks on the market either.

cwp_sedan
07-07-2008, 03:26 PM
After a year with MS sway bars, the driver's side rear endlink needs to be replaced. I had the sway's installed the same week I got the car.

I've heard of loose screws after install but has anyone else had to replace endlinks? I'm wondering if MS sway's need bigger rear endlinks. But after some searching it doesn't seem like we do, and I couldn't find larger rear endlinks on the market either.

The MS accessory bar is the same size as the MS3 stock sway bar. The MS3 have larger endlinks compared to the non-turbo. I myself am running the 26mm rear sway and haven't had any issues but then again I haven't had it on for that long.

What exactly is wrong with the endlink?

Fobio
07-08-2008, 12:07 AM
ok...what a coincidence...

after installing the Cobb sways, my driver side rear endlink bolt became loose after several track events...it went from the odd clunk to constant clunking within a day...

after tightening it tonight, it's all good in the hood...I know it;s not the same problem as OP's but if you guys keep an eye out and tighten them everytime your car's up, then you might be able to make them last longer...but as to the OP's question...chk this out:

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/mazdaspeed-3-suspension-brakes/5959-i-broke-my-something-my-suspension.html

busted endlinks, upgraded, w/ tips on installing them to keep them quiet...

also, once you upgrade your sways, your endlinks become the "weakest link" in the suspension setup...but Jimmy thinks upgrading will cause more noise, and that's why I'm interested in finding a way to keep the metal-on-metal contact in check...in the link, trhere's mention of using self-fusing electrical tape...

good luck!

lancesir
07-08-2008, 08:26 AM
oh that's interesting...wonder if it's worth/possible to use the MS3 endlinks. I don't know how the endlink broke or what caused it but the dealer replaced it. Like others I've had loose bolts before as well.

fobio thanks for the link!

cwp_sedan
07-08-2008, 08:39 AM
If it's just a daily driver I wouldn't upgrade the endlinks. If you are tracking it then you should definitely upgrade them.

There was another individual who was selling some custom endlinks over on M3F. He talked about the chatter you get from the rear end because of the new endlink.

This is just one quote...

They are not super noisy but they will chatter a bit with repeated suspension movement and will pop once or twice when pulling in and out of driveways. It's just the nature of having a good suspension setup.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=95488.0

MS3 endlinks are like $80 each. Personally I wouldn't pay that much for them as you could replace the stock one 4 or 5 times before you would have reached the same price as the MS3.

As Fobio said anything aftermarket will be noisier unless you can find a solution to quiet them down. The nut may come loose. Try getting two new nuts or get some with a nylon insert. I heard that people are trying those and they seem to be working.

lancesir
07-08-2008, 11:47 PM
thanks for the info cwp sedan! how much are stock endlinks supposed to be? when I looked at the warranty invoice they were charging $60 for one endlink

cwp_sedan
07-09-2008, 07:13 AM
thanks for the info cwp sedan! how much are stock endlinks supposed to be? when I looked at the warranty invoice they were charging $60 for one endlink

I think if you talk to FLIPDADY (Joe), he can get you them at a better price. :)

lancesir
07-09-2008, 07:58 AM
yeah joe always gets us good prices :)

lancesir
09-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Is anyone here running upgraded sways on an otherwise stock suspension?

I have MS sways (F+R) and I think my rear endlink broken again, even though I just replaced it a month ago as per my first post.

I'm wondering if the sways are putting too much stress on the sways themselves? Do I need to upgrade shocks & springs to "lessen" the load? It's very frustrating and MS did not say that other upgrades were recommneded.