PDA

View Full Version : Recent tragedy @ Dunnville

Fobio
07-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Man dies @ 73, lapping at Dunnville over the wknd:

http://www.thestar.com/Comment/article/463717

Some of you might have heard/read about this, but after some snooping, I was able to dig this up:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3941503

I'm sure we're all aware of the dangers we face everyday, but I just wanted to point out that this elderly gentlemen DID NOT die due to a racing incident...RIP, but he died of a stroke and crashed his car into the hanger wihich is at least a good 50+ meter away from the track...

x_o_k_x
07-21-2008, 09:07 PM
Thats sad.. I think there should be age limit on track.

Unoriginalusername
07-21-2008, 09:41 PM

why? thats like saying you can't drive on the road either in which case he might have crossed lanes and killed more people

you can't control stuff like that from happening... taking away peoples rights isn't the answer imo

TheLouch
07-21-2008, 09:48 PM

As one of the posters from VWvortex said, and I completely agree:

Sir Stirling Moss is 78, Sir Jackie Stewart is 69 and Mario Andretti is 68...I wouldn't have a problem with any of those seniors being on the track...

It's just a shame that this incident might create a lot of bad press for public lapping days like these.

Fobio
07-21-2008, 10:06 PM
I hold opinions on both sides of the age argument...and I'll just leave it at that....

More importantly, ppl track their car on their own...it's not our job, we don't get paid or even earn braggin rights really...I've yet to have raced anyone on my lapping days...they let me pass and I return the favour...yes, there's always competition, but there's always always more comraderie ever between drivers of different marques and background...

So more than any sentiment...I salute the old hack as he sailed off doing what he loved...too bad he hit the hanger, cuz at the right time of day at Dunnville, he could've lieterally "went off" into the sunset...

borts
07-21-2008, 10:24 PM
Here we go again blaming age. Anyone, at any age can have a stroke/heart attack/ aneurysm. There are many older people out there in there 70's, 80's and even in there 90's who participate in all kinds of sports including auto racing. My great uncle was flying his homebuilt airplane until he was 92. Granted there are some older people out driving on the roads that have not business being behind the wheel of automobile, but I guess that can go for some young people too. If they are healthy and have it all together I see no reason for older people to enjoy the great sport of auto racing.

Fuman
07-22-2008, 12:53 AM
Doing what one loves to the very end, not a bad way to go.
I rather die like this than rotting away on a hospital bed; a sudden death doing what I love.

If they are healthy and have it all together I see no reason for older people to enjoy the great sport of auto racing.
agreed.

I'm all for lapping or even racing with elderly. I've met a few nice old people at the track. They've given me advice on driving, and on life.

x_o_k_x
07-31-2008, 05:11 PM
why? thats like saying you can't drive on the road either in which case he might have crossed lanes and killed more people

you can't control stuff like that from happening... taking away peoples rights isn't the answer imo

Driving to work, store is one thing, but going on the track to race is another. Thats the same as allowing 70 year old going to wanderland on the coasters.. Its just for their safety. I agree your point of view, but you cant allow stuff like this happening on track.

shootemup
07-31-2008, 06:10 PM
Taking a car to a track is not a right... And at the speeds cars travel on the track, it is far more dangerous for other cars on the track and spectators, than driving city speeds on a roadway. I understand that these things are unpredictable, but it has been proven that elderly people have slower response times and higher chanes of spontanious medical problems. They are also a lot more frail and can sustain injuries easier than their yonger counterparts. I am not saying that the track is a dangerous environment, but the risks are far greater on the track.

Unoriginalusername
07-31-2008, 10:16 PM
Driving to work, store is one thing, but going on the track to race is another. Thats the same as allowing 70 year old going to wanderland on the coasters.. Its just for their safety. I agree your point of view, but you cant allow stuff like this happening on track.

you say that now as a younger person, i am sure your mind will change as you get older at which point you'll think young people shouldn't be allowed to drive on the track because they are too reckless and take too many risks.

Despite your perceptions, young drivers cause more accidents on the roads than older drivers based on a news report i saw a while back and a driver who tracks there car i think is obviously different then the typical elderly couple who backs into stuff at the store.

x_o_k_x
07-31-2008, 10:40 PM
you say that now as a younger person, i am sure your mind will change as you get older at which point you'll think young people shouldn't be allowed to drive on the track because they are too reckless and take too many risks.

Despite your perceptions, young drivers cause more accidents on the roads than older drivers based on a news report i saw a while back and a driver who tracks there car i think is obviously different then the typical elderly couple who backs into stuff at the store.

Thats totally different, I mean yes younger people tend to race more then elderly, therefore get into accidents more/tickets. But in this case we are talking about health issues. Im sure he was driving carefull and all, maybe even he was a professional race car driver at one point, the fact is, with his health problems should not be allowed on track or his heart condition. Whatever the cause might be. The younger people dont have that problem.

Fuman
08-01-2008, 04:46 AM
but it has been proven that elderly people have slower response times
lol, you'll be surprised at the number of elderly people that can whoop our asses up and down the track. Just cause someone is old doesn't mean they are unhealthy. Most of the senior instructors at Ian Law Racing School have a head full of white hair. I'm sure they'll destroy 99% of the members here at the track.

On Lapping days, I don't see how old people will pose as a greater threat to others. There are barriers in place to protect spectators. As for fellow drivers on the track, people go off the track regardless of their age. If you ask me, it is MORE dangerous to go to a lapping event with amateurs who have not taken track school; even worse if the track is wet.

borts
08-02-2008, 10:35 AM
the fact is, with his health problems should not be allowed on track or his heart condition. Whatever the cause might be. The younger people dont have that problem.

Again like I posted earlier. Health issues have no age barrier. You can have a heart attack, or any medical condition at any age. I had a friend who was in great physical shape at age 25, had a heart attack, lost control of his car and was killed when his car impacted a hydro pole. You can't exclude people based on age, there are many older people in their 60's, 70's and even in their 80's who participate in all kinds of sports. I was in Vermont snowboarding this past winter and met a man who was 60 years old who was boarding and I could barley keep up with him.

And to add one more thing, there are people at my gym who are in their 50's that are in greater shape than some who are in their 20's. So give the older folk a break, you'll be there one day.

Fuman
08-02-2008, 02:00 PM
And to add one more thing, there are people at my gym who are in their 50's that are in greater shape than some who are in their 20's. So give the older folk a break, you'll be there one day.
don't remind me man, i was at the gym a few days ago...
Gotta P90X after exams... lol

x_o_k_x
08-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Again like I posted earlier. Health issues have no age barrier. You can have a heart attack, or any medical condition at any age. I had a friend who was in great physical shape at age 25, had a heart attack, lost control of his car and was killed when his car impacted a hydro pole. You can't exclude people based on age, there are many older people in their 60's, 70's and even in their 80's who participate in all kinds of sports. I was in Vermont snowboarding this past winter and met a man who was 60 years old who was boarding and I could barley keep up with him.

Yes thats what i mean, IF you have health problems you should not race. I dont mind people racing from 10-80 years of age.. Its all part of a fun. If thats what they like doing noone should stop them from it.

bhrm
08-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Some of you might have heard/read about this, but after some snooping, I was able to dig this up:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3941503

hey you found my thread from the vortex!

anyways

check out this week's Maclean's, last page in their "The End" section. Great write up about his life and passion for airplanes and cars. He had three things that were his life:
1. His family
2. His family's prized roses
3. Cars.

Fobio
08-26-2008, 10:18 AM
hey you found my thread from the vortex!

anyways

check out this week's Maclean's, last page in their "The End" section. Great write up about his life and passion for airplanes and cars. He had three things that were his life:
1. His family
2. His family's prized roses
3. Cars.

You have a link to the Maclean's column?
EDIT: Found - http://www.macleans.ca/canada/national/article.jsp?content=20080806_118820_118820

Talking about age and health...here's good ol' Paul Newman...last laps of a great man's life:

Paul Newman Takes last Laps at Lime Rock -
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/26/paul-newman-takes-last-laps-at-lime-rock/