PDA

View Full Version : Cobb Stg. 2 Suspension - UOU's review

Unoriginalusername
07-21-2008, 08:05 PM
So I went to street performance for the spring spring GB lol but didn't actually get the complete Cobb Stage 2 suspension setup until this past week when I headed back to Jimmys having rec'd the sways from the GB CTA Pat did a few weeks back.

When I first got the MS3 I actually thought the suspension was good enough it didn't warrant touching as you wouldn't feel much of an improvement.... well I was wrong. The sways really help the springs make sense in terms of the overall handling and while coils would be nice I am quite happy with the ride height with the cobb drop so paying a lot more money for a decent set didn't really make sense for me although I might be open to a set of Koni yellows down the road as apparently they are working on some tweaks for an ms3 specific application

Anyways if you missed out on one of the previous gb's pat ran for either the springs or sways and were wondering if they make a difference I can say that I am very pleased with the cars attitude now. Doesn't buck or row, rotates better, stays flat, fast and fun. A+

CanadaGTO
07-21-2008, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the writeup James.

FYI, I have both sways and springs in stock if anyone's interested.

kid_icarus
07-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the writeup James.

FYI, I have both sways and springs in stock if anyone's interested.

how much again for sways?

james. how much does jimmy charge for the sways install as well?

Unoriginalusername
07-21-2008, 09:38 PM
how much again for sways?

james. how much does jimmy charge for the sways install as well?

I believe the sways were $150 and i got the springs on the GB which i think was $80 but don't quote me on that since the baby has born my memory hasn't been working the best.... i forgot my pin the other day completely lol :chuckle

don't forget you can sell your oem springs/sways which make a great upgrade for the larger mazda 3 group as well to offset part of the costs.

CanadaGTO
07-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Cobb sways are $405 + taxes. Currently one set in stock :)

kid_icarus
07-21-2008, 09:51 PM
I believe the sways were $150 and i got the springs on the GB which i think was $80 but don't quote me on that since the baby has born my memory hasn't been working the best.... i forgot my pin the other day completely lol :chuckle

don't forget you can sell your oem springs/sways which make a great upgrade for the larger mazda 3 group as well to offset part of the costs.

lol... late nights getting to you eh... =(
i bet the cahsier didn't buy your excuse when u kept getting it wrong lol
it's okay man we're all gonna be there someday... haha

thanks for the info.

Cobb sways are $405 + taxes. Currently one set in stock :)

thanks pat. i'm interested in this. will have to relook next month after next paycheque and after paying off all my expenses and getting back to ground zero.

it's either going to be the sways or wait a lil longer for the cobb dp...
i might just leave the dp till next summer though....

selling my oem sways will probably enough to only offset the install i think... haha.. sigh...

EddieM
07-22-2008, 10:58 AM
I'm really tempted to get the Cobb stage 2 suspension but I am worry about winter driving since I am from Ottawa and our normal winter weather (cold and lots of snow) seem to making a come back. It is probably too new for anyone to have any experiences of winter driving with the stage 2 setup but if you do please share with us here :)

Unoriginalusername
07-22-2008, 11:10 AM
I'm really tempted to get the Cobb stage 2 suspension but I am worry about winter driving since I am from Ottawa and our normal winter weather (cold and lots of snow) seem to making a come back. It is probably too new for anyone to have any experiences of winter driving with the stage 2 setup but if you do please share with us here :)

The car is low to begin with so its not like you are deciding between and SUV and a sports car. Many folks in the US and even some here locally had lowering springs and sways on this past winter and I am sure can chime in.... long story short you need good winter tires more then worrying about a low car being slightly lower lol

mleblond
07-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Ive been stage 2 for over a month and love it too. Car response in turns are amazing. almost no body roll. Would recommend for anyone participating in AutoX or Lapping.

As for winters I got stuck more than once in ottawa with a stock mazda 3 so your really SOL.

Fobio
07-22-2008, 11:25 AM
As for winters I got stuck more than once in ottawa with a stock mazda 3 so your really SOL.

Cobb's Stage 2 suspension, I'd dare say is not as low as most other spring+sway setup...but if it's deep snow banks you're worried about then you'll be in trouble with any car, MZ3 or MS3, Stage 2 or not...

I tend to drive my car away from the snow, but that's just me... :chuckle

kid_icarus
07-22-2008, 12:00 PM
alright... before i make a decision at the end of the week about the sways.... do you guys think the sways are worth the $$?

i don't track the car... i got not $$ to dispose on tires and etc
but i do love a good handling car... on any corner or turn or windy situation...

will these sways make the car feel like a different drive altogether and all for the better?

Fobio
07-22-2008, 12:07 PM
alright... before i make a decision at the end of the week about the sways.... do you guys think the sways are worth the $$?

i don't track the car... i got not $$ to dispose on tires and etc
but i do love a good handling car... on any corner or turn or windy situation...

will these sways make the car feel like a different drive altogether and all for the better?

it's a no-brainer for me as I deemed the sways a NECESSITY...on the driving impression front, this is the clincher:

@ Mosport DDT, there's a slow-speed semi-u-turn going onto the front straight...I used to have to dial the car in and hope the understeer will pull me out to the outside curb which means I'm not unwinding the wheel as quickly...

NOW...I make a slight flick to the right...the front bites and and I can play with the throttle to "steer" the backend to play nice with me (read, allowing me to unwind the wheel much more quickly) and thus applying power to the tarmac quicker...

kid_icarus
07-22-2008, 02:19 PM
thanks for your convincing fobio lol

i'll see how the rest of the week pans out and then i'll decide on friday assuming pat still has one in stock lol

silvermist99
07-22-2008, 03:14 PM
it's a no-brainer for me as I deemed the sways a NECESSITY...on the driving impression front, this is the clincher:

@ Mosport DDT, there's a slow-speed semi-u-turn going onto the front straight...I used to have to dial the car in and hope the understeer will pull me out to the outside curb which means I'm not unwinding the wheel as quickly...

NOW...I make a slight flick to the right...the front bites and and I can play with the throttle to "steer" the backend to play nice with me (read, allowing me to unwind the wheel much more quickly) and thus applying power to the tarmac quicker...

your car turns more tidy and plow less then stock ms3!

thanks for your convincing fobio lol

i'll see how the rest of the week pans out and then i'll decide on friday assuming pat still has one in stock lol

Here is another reason to get the sways: I drove fobio's car 0.8 second faster then I drove my own stock car in a 40 second course, that is pretty signifant difference.:chuckle. His car feels more planted then mine, and has faster reflexes. If I race my car next year I'll consider picking up the RSB too. I won't get the springs tho I don't want a harsher ride on streets.