PDA

View Full Version : Apollo Detailing

S.F.W.
07-24-2008, 10:44 PM
Wanted to share a great experience I had with Apollo Detailing Service. I wanted to have my car prior to T.A.S.R and decided to do some research on autopia.org for a local detailer.
I contacted Tyler from Apollo, and after exchanging a few emails I made an appointment. Aside from the exceptional examples I had previously seen of his work ont he web, I appreciated his pricing strategy. Rather than providing a set number of hours, he asked me to bring my car for an estimate, as he charges by the hour. I brought the car to Tyler's place as I don't have the facility for a mobile service. Upon inspecting the car, he showed me some of the contamination and fading in the paint I did not even see. The estimate was for 8 hours work. I left the car with Tyler, and picked it up later.
When I picked up the car, I was amazed at the work. The car looked better than it had in years. The paint had a great deep shine, and many if not all of the swirl marks were gone. As were most of the light scratches in various areas of the car.
You can see the pictures of the work here:http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=320885#post320885

If you need detailing work, I would suggest contacting Tyler.

yellow 3
07-24-2008, 11:35 PM
how much did that cost if you dont mind sharing
8 hours is alot of detailing

S.F.W.
07-25-2008, 12:13 AM
how much did that cost if you dont mind sharing
8 hours is alot of detailing
approximately $450.

yellow 3
07-25-2008, 12:21 AM
lol ur nuts
i dont care how bad ur car looked

S.F.W.
07-25-2008, 12:29 AM
lol ur nuts
i dont care how bad ur car looked
check out other pro detailers like GTA in detail, or Make It Shine, for multi step work, pricing is pretty similar.
If I was going to do it myself, I would have spent at least $80 on materials..not to mention I don't have the time/patience/skill to do that much work myself.

yellow 3
07-25-2008, 12:31 AM
ppl here used GTA no more then $300

S.F.W.
07-25-2008, 12:44 AM
ppl here used GTA no more then $300
don't want to get into an argument, as this is a review, but, this is direct from the GTA site:

Multi-step Compounding: Cars start at $450, Trucks or SUVs start at $550. Exterior Includes:

Full "Wash & Wax" as above
Clay bar decontamination
Multiple abrasive compounding/polishing steps applied by machine
Hand waxing or sealing

Compounds are applied via machine to remove moderate to severe defects & oxidation and bring back the paints original mirror finish. This package is for cars with moderate to severe paint defects; generally for any car more than 2 years old, especially darker colors. To find out why you need compounding click here (http://gtaindetail.com/diy).

Sounds like the same work I had done.

yellow 3
07-25-2008, 12:47 AM
if you drive a Ferrari
not Mazda
but ill let it go
and to be honest no one here in there rite mind will pay what you did
sorry man just my 02

Holden_Caulfield04
07-25-2008, 01:38 AM
You're not the first person to bring up this concern and you certainly won't be the last.

The single biggest aspect of my business is consumer education. Without it, I would have no business. So, here we go.

I have thousands of hours logged into learning this trade. Never mind the actual on-the-job learning or "seat" time, that's just reading and comprehension. If you were to categorize and summarize it, effectively, it would become the equivalent of a college or university education. Do you think that's the case with the place around the corner?

I import all of my products. I use microfibre buffing towels that are soft like velvet, maybe softer. The glass microfibre towels I use are like suede. My waffle weave microfibre towels absorb fifteen times more than its own weight, yet soft enough not to mar paint. And I still haven't factored in any of my German compounds or polishes, or my Swiss wax.

I use the Least Invasive Technique (one of the very few who do). When I wash a car, it takes me an hour. That's because I use a non-marring technique and I dress all trim, tires, and clean the wheels with a pH balanced wheel gel (no wheel acid here). When I polish a car, I don't instantly reach for a wool pad and 3M Extra Cut, I test the paint. I will work from my gentlest combo, to heavier combos of pad and polish until I find the right amount of defect removal.

I am talented with a rotary polisher. Really, a rotary is what makes a detailer like myself. Waxes don't do much for the finish, maybe 10%? The other 90% come from decontamination of the paint and polishing with a rotary buffer. I can remove 100% of swirls, including RIDS (Random Isolated Deep Scratches).

Here is what a properly polished car looks like. You know what, I worked on this with Kevin of GTA. So I know all about him.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa135/Holden_Caulfield04/03stingray.jpg

I hope I didn't offend you, as that was not my intent. Rather, I would like you to be informed about my business.

Regardless, though, you are free to choose whomever you like for detailing. There are cheap guys, guys in between, and then there are guys like me who do it because they're passionate about this work.

yellow 3
07-25-2008, 01:52 AM
i have used Kevin before and i will again
so far he my fav detail guy :)
im sure you guys use same stuff but Kev don't charge like you do for a Mazda

Holden_Caulfield04
07-25-2008, 01:53 AM
i have used Kevin before and i will again
so far he my fav detail guy :)
im sure you guys use same stuff but Kev don't charge like you do for a Mazda

I charge the same. :)

If you want a $300 job, I'll give you one. It's called "Single Step Polish" and is listed on my website. It actually starts at $249.99.

Flagrum_3
07-25-2008, 02:43 AM
Let's see $450 for 8 hours work...minus say $50 tops for material..........that's 50 bucks an hour for labour :whoa.........I'm definitely in the wrong business :chuckle

Nice work though Holden. :)

_3

yearoftherat
07-25-2008, 09:51 AM
You guys are willing to spend $$$ on modding your car
eg: wheels and tires for lets say $1100, exhaust for $500, audio system 500 and up.
But you will not pay $450 for looking after the exterior of you car?

Naveg
07-25-2008, 09:56 AM
They may not be "professionals" in the self-regulated profession sense (doctors, lawyers, engineers)...but they certainly are pros at what they do. You can't really put a value on what their labour is worth - some people are passionate about their cars looking great, and are willing to pay for a good job. To be honest, I think a friendly and skilled detailer who charges $50/hour has far more "worth" than a billionaire CEO who doesn't know how to run a business and crashes his company into the ground, or a stuck up doctor or lawyer who doesn't really care about his clients.

EvilEric
07-25-2008, 10:08 AM
I believe this was supposed to be a review. Education. Apollo is running a business.

Talking about overall price for a service is one thing but breaking it down into hourly wage to contrast someone's worth against other jobs/professions is a little rude.

Lets at least be polite.

Cardinal Fang
07-25-2008, 10:48 AM
I believe this was supposed to be a review. Education. Apollo is running a business.

Talking about overall price for a service is one thing but breaking it down into hourly wage to contrast someone's worth against other jobs/professions is a little rude.

Lets at least be polite.

Couldn't agree more. The thread has been cleaned up to note this. Apollo Detailing charges what they believe their service is worth. If you don't like it don't use him. But with all due respect as YOTR posted, if we start coming down on Apollo for their prices then we should all start coming down on each other for the money we spend modding the cars.

If you want to play you pay.

picus
07-25-2008, 12:13 PM

Lets at least be polite.

Couldn't agree more. The thread has been cleaned up to note this. Apollo Detailing charges what they believe their service is worth. If you don't like it don't use him. But with all due respect as YOTR posted, if we start coming down on Apollo for their prices then we should all start coming down on each other for the money we spend modding the cars.

Big thumbsup!

"Worth" is completely relative. I am sure we've all bought something someone else would consider "worthless". I could talk for hours about why good detailing costs what it does (trust me, there is a lot more to it than just standing around for 8 hours and walking away with $450), but I will just say this; if you can find someone that will do a comparable job for less money then by all means, give him your business. This holds true for *every* trade.

kaval
07-25-2008, 01:08 PM
Big thumbsup!

"Worth" is completely relative. I am sure we've all bought something someone else would consider "worthless". I could talk for hours about why good detailing costs what it does (trust me, there is a lot more to it than just standing around for 8 hours and walking away with $450), but I will just say this; if you can find someone that will do a comparable job for less money then by all means, give him your business. This holds true for *every* trade.

I couldn't have said it better myself Kevin. I kind of feel insulted that people think it's ridiculous to pay $450 for a detail. Those who feel that shelling out this kind of money isn't smart to do for any car, whether that be the Mazda3, or a Ferrari, I urge you to come out and watch any of us, whether that be Tyler, Kevin, or myself do a detail. We all understand that each person works hard for their money, and we work just as hard to earn it.

We treat each car that we detail like it's our own. I know for me personally that when I'm done a car, I'm actually sad to see it leave because I grew attached to the car. As weird as that sounds, there's no other way to put it.

Attaching your own value to what our work is worth is completely subjective, so I'll conclude by saying if you wouldn't pay the price, that's fine...but don't rag on other people for making a decision to spend the money to get the finest detailing services available.

Kaval

Holden_Caulfield04
07-25-2008, 01:44 PM

Lets at least be polite.

Big thumbsup!

I couldn't have said it better myself Kevin. I kind of feel insulted that people think it's ridiculous to pay $450 for a detail. Those who feel that shelling out this kind of money isn't smart to do for any car, whether that be the Mazda3, or a Ferrari, I urge you to come out and watch any of us, whether that be Tyler, Kevin, or myself do a detail. We all understand that each person works hard for their money, and we work just as hard to earn it.

We treat each car that we detail like it's our own. I know for me personally that when I'm done a car, I'm actually sad to see it leave because I grew attached to the car. As weird as that sounds, there's no other way to put it.

Attaching your own value to what our work is worth is completely subjective, so I'll conclude by saying if you wouldn't pay the price, that's fine...but don't rag on other people for making a decision to spend the money to get the finest detailing services available.

Kaval

:agree :)

For comparisons sake, here is what Fine Details charges:

HIGH SPEED POLISHING
Prices Starting at* $299

Our highly specialized High Speed Polishing service revitalizes and beautifies your vehicle’s finish by removing surface oxidation and light-to-medium scratches and abrasions.
High Speed Polishing Our custom formulated compound is applied to your vehicle’s surface and high-speed polishers along with the experienced “touch” of our master detailers takes care of the rest!

Flagrum_3
07-25-2008, 05:21 PM

Lets at least be polite.

In case this statement was in response to my post, let me explain; IT was a joke...Notice the Smileys? and the sarcastic statement about changing vocations?

Anyways, I for one would never downplay someone's worth, especially when it comes to detailing.I can appreciate a professional detail job probably more then most as I am very picky and notice all kinds of irregularities (Its a sickness :chuckle)....I also realize its not an easy task to perform WELL....So I tip my hat to these guys, they do great work.

Whether or not its worth the big bucks that's up to the individual, I think its worth it if your car is in need of that kind of detailing!....Sometimes it comes down to personal time constraints, access to areas to do the job or just people not sure of what they are doing.....in those cases I think its also worth it.

Anyways, its nice every once in awhile to give the baby a professional touch :)

_3

Dave_The_BMXER
07-26-2008, 09:45 AM
Had I known you went to Tyler before the show I would have taken a closer look.

I see his posts on maxbimmer a lot and have been curious what his work looks like in person.

Dave_The_BMXER
02-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Seems like this detailer got himself into a spot of trouble.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/hot-tub/115785-call-out-forum-member-not-question.html

DumpInfo
02-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Seems like this detailer got himself into a spot of trouble.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/hot-tub/115785-call-out-forum-member-not-question.html

:whoa

ThucP
02-22-2009, 10:46 PM
Wow! he ruined that lambo so bad and the guy still paid him.

cwp_sedan
02-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Yikes!!

chinsterr
02-23-2009, 04:47 PM
4g for a detailing job like that ? Damn .

Should have got Kaval to do it hahahaha. Speaking of which, I want in on his paint correction GB !

Cardinal Fang
02-23-2009, 05:27 PM
Wow...cluster-fark if I ever saw one.

mazdas3sporte
02-23-2009, 08:49 PM
I would do a month worth of research before handing my car to anyone to detail, If I had a lambo I would rather pay hundreds more for a known detailer that has 100% postive feed back, I would than do a company background check and personally call the other clients up before handing the car over. Seems like this poor guy got screwd over pretty bad

Hives
03-01-2009, 11:20 AM
I would do a month worth of research before handing my car to anyone to detail, If I had a lambo I would rather pay hundreds more for a known detailer that has 100% postive feed back, I would than do a company background check and personally call the other clients up before handing the car over. Seems like this poor guy got screwd over pretty bad

Yea man. To spend so much to clean a "Mazda 3"? Like come onnnnnn, that is ridiculous to spend. It's a daily driven Mazda 3, not a 7 Series Bimmer or show car with $40 000+ pumped into it.

Brownsound
03-01-2009, 11:46 AM
So wait, was that guy tied in with Apollo or not?

Hives
03-01-2009, 12:09 PM
So wait, was that guy tied in with Apollo or not?

The Lambo was from somewhere else. That sucks though to have such a nice car get ruined. I saw on TV a guy in the UK who charges like $3 000 to detail a car, mainly high end ones like Ferrari etc.

Drew
03-01-2009, 04:39 PM
wow that some serious damage:flaming

kaval
03-02-2009, 02:02 AM
Apollo Detailing drove to Florida to detail the Lamborghini. I was called a few times during the course of the detail being asked for advice. I'm very surprised and extremely disappointed that Tyler hasn't corresponded with the owner to try and make things right. It gives a very bad image to Canadian detailers like myself.

Hopefully all damages will be paid and the car can be fixed without any legal proceedings taking place.

Dave_The_BMXER
03-02-2009, 07:14 AM
He called you as well? I saw in the original thread he called someone else too...

kaval
03-02-2009, 08:55 AM
I was called a few times regarding issues with removing the clear bra, and polishing out the defects in the paintwork. I'm not very experienced with removing clear bras so I suggested that he ask his question on Autopia as he would get an answer very quickly. Nothing was posted, and the experimenting cost was pushed over to the client since he was charged hourly for all work, including the clear bra removal which took more time than necessary.

For removing the defects, I suggested some common products that he didn't have, so eventually a new bottle of polish was purchased.
I just don't think Tyler prepared himself properly for this detail and got in over his head too quickly. Experience is key in this line of work and you can't be afraid to ask questions if you aren't sure. I don't know EVERYTHING about detailing but I'm always asking questions to the right people when I'm not sure of something. People are much more understanding when you are honest with them.

Edit- I just want to add that I am not insulting Tyler and his business in any way. I am truly, and understandably, disappointed with the way this has transpired. We all make mistakes but it's up to the individual to make it right.