PDA

View Full Version : Strange click in forward & noise rolling backwards

maplephin
08-22-2008, 07:39 PM
Ok, don't know if this is the right spot for this but....

when starting off, hear something like a click (only happens once) coming from what sounds like the left front wheel. (brake pad possibly)
If I let the car roll backwards in my driveway, it sometimes makes a sound like a stuck pad then stops.

Has anybody else had this with their MS3? Could the pads be worn and have gotten loose?? Don't know if that makes sense?

dj_chinaman2097
08-22-2008, 08:05 PM
For the past two months I had a clunking noise at low speeds on the front driver side. Took it into Street Performance so Jimmy could take a look. Turns out the bolt at the top of the strut was loose so the bar was knocking around.

I suggest taking it to Street Performance in Markham if your dealership can't figure it out for you.

Fobio
08-22-2008, 09:04 PM
hey eldon...I've had the "pad rubbing" sound...Jimmy of Stret Performance told me that the sound will go away, and it kinda did...it happened after my first track event with the car...I shortly changed my pads afterwards, as my pads were glazed...

Sounds like you might have a pad stuck...

maplephin
08-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Thanks guys, that gives me a couple of things to look out for.

I do think it may be brake related too, but djchinaman2097 your suggestion of the strut is something to definitely look at too.

Now Fobio, who would ever suggest that my car has ever seen the track and I'm sure I don't brake hard enough to ever glaze a "stock" brake pad:chuckle

- and -
I think before I ever take it to a dealer, I'll need to replace the tires, don't need them trying to figure how there are chunks out of them.

alhope34
08-22-2008, 10:52 PM
The exact same thing happened to our '02 Saturn. It's just the pad shifting inside the caliper. They can't be too tight together or the pads would seize. That's just normal pad play.

Fobio
08-22-2008, 11:29 PM
Thanks guys, that gives me a couple of things to look out for.

I do think it may be brake related too, but djchinaman2097 your suggestion of the strut is something to definitely look at too.

Now Fobio, who would ever suggest that my car has ever seen the track and I'm sure I don't brake hard enough to ever glaze a "stock" brake pad:chuckle

- and -
I think before I ever take it to a dealer, I'll need to replace the tires, don't need them trying to figure how there are chunks out of them.

I told you not to park under the oak tree!...The squirrels are chewing your tires and mucking up your brakes!

silvermist99
08-22-2008, 11:50 PM
squirrels must live in my garage.. my right tires are like that also. I think they like to eat red mazdas!

Dan Da Man
08-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Ive had the same problem in my sedan as well.

WhiteSpeed3
08-24-2008, 10:22 PM
i got the same prob with mine and one of our members told be that it could be the cv joint.

maplephin
08-24-2008, 10:27 PM
i got the same prob with mine and one of our members told be that it could be the cv joint.

That's what I have been starting to wonder.
I took off the wheel off and moved the axle by hand and it sounded like the same click.

Looks like I'll be heading to the dealer for a checkup. I'll let everyone know when they have a look at it. I away this week so it will probably be after that.

WhiteSpeed3
08-24-2008, 10:30 PM
if i got time tomorrow i'll put my car on the hoist and check it out at work

maplephin
08-24-2008, 11:05 PM
if i got time tomorrow i'll put my car on the hoist and check it out at work

let me know the results if you have time to get it on the hoist.
thx

silvermist99
08-26-2008, 01:08 PM
i heard a pretty loud one time click today reversing out of garage

maplephin
08-26-2008, 08:48 PM
i heard a pretty loud one time click today reversing out of garage

it seems to be getting worse.
When I start out slowly it tends to make one click, shift into 2nd, one click and that's it. Rest of gears don't seem to hear it.

Harder starts seem fine....

On vacation this week, so car will be going into the dealer next week. I'm starting to think CV or something related to the axle on the left side.

Pilzz
08-26-2008, 10:35 PM
it seems to be getting worse.
When I start out slowly it tends to make one click, shift into 2nd, one click and that's it. Rest of gears don't seem to hear it.

Harder starts seem fine....

On vacation this week, so car will be going into the dealer next week. I'm starting to think CV or something related to the axle on the left side.

Had the same clicking noise from my right side front axel. I brought my car to the dealer made them hear the noise and had them replace my axel and the clicking noise stopped. I only heard it when I moved off from a complete stop either in reverse or 1st gear and when I downshifted, but outside of that no noise. That would be my guess, just an FYI.

maplephin
08-30-2008, 05:51 PM
Had the same clicking noise from my right side front axel. I brought my car to the dealer made them hear the noise and had them replace my axel and the clicking noise stopped. I only heard it when I moved off from a complete stop either in reverse or 1st gear and when I downshifted, but outside of that no noise. That would be my guess, just an FYI.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind when I go in.

maplephin
09-03-2008, 12:22 PM

Ok, just got back from the dealer. It appears to be the rear engine mount, not the one from the recall. Hopefully will be replaced by the weekend.

alhope34
09-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Why not just get the SU MM?

maplephin
09-03-2008, 01:25 PM
Why not just get the SU MM?

hmmm.... never really thought about it.
Probably will have this one replaced by the dealer under warranty and then possibly considering changing it.
Any idea on price??

narcolepticus
09-05-2008, 12:55 PM
How's everyone doing? I am hearing a knock/clunk sound coming from the front as well. Usually in first gear .. when i disengage the clutch/apply brakes ( i normally hear it going through Timmies drive thru it seems ) starting to piss me off but it doesn't happen *all* the time. I have also started hearing a strange, what a vibration would sound like when turning in *tighter* spots at slow speeds.. I had the one MM replaced at the dealer a couple of weeks ago but the sound persists. You know how it is, you hear the sounds, take it to the dealer and they can't hear it. Any ideas? She's got 79900 on 'er so i prolly should bring it in before 80000 .. grrrrrr

narcolepticus
09-05-2008, 01:28 PM
damn, posted in wrong section .. apologies, however this does apply ..

maplephin
09-09-2008, 03:46 PM
damn, posted in wrong section .. apologies, however this does apply ..

sounds like your in the right section.
That's what mine was doing also. They thought it was the rear mm and replaced it. They also feel the mm from the recall needs to be replaced also. with the replacement of the rear it improved and only happens once in a while. We'll see what happens when the replace the other.

WhiteSpeed3
09-09-2008, 03:58 PM
ya mine is going into the dealership tomorrow for a new motor mount after i checked it yesterday when i did my oil change and it was in pretty bad condition

WhiteSpeed3
09-14-2008, 12:26 AM
so i got my rear engine mount replaced last week and the clicking noise is still there so i took it to mazda today after i got of work and me and Aaron (the only person i trust to work on my car) at Prima Mazda went for a ride and he said he will replace the driveshafts for me and hopefully that will make the noise go away if its not that then we go back to the drawing board and try to figure this thing out

maplephin
10-20-2008, 09:19 AM
so i got my rear engine mount replaced last week and the clicking noise is still there so i took it to mazda today after i got of work and me and Aaron (the only person i trust to work on my car) at Prima Mazda went for a ride and he said he will replace the driveshafts for me and hopefully that will make the noise go away if its not that then we go back to the drawing board and try to figure this thing out

WhiteSpeed3 - did you ever get the noise resolved?

After replacing the rear mm on my car, they did the drivers side mm which along with the bolt was destroyed. It seems to have gone away! Just waiting for the next time the mounts start to rip themselves apart. Before then, I will be replacing at the minimum, the rear mount. Another strange rattle has disappeared also, so I'm wondering if it was vibrating through the chassis into the interior from that mount??

BTW the dealer says I'll never have any more problems with mm's:whoa
Anybody believe that?

silvermist99
10-20-2008, 03:24 PM
my clicking noise totally went away... very very strange. Before it was clunking a bit and now all of a sudden no more noises at all. But now my brakes squeel a little bit when i brake lightly and slowly.

I never did anything to it. It just went away. I tried pushing the engine around it feels quite solid, doesnt move at all

narcolepticus
04-23-2009, 12:58 AM
well, the noise is gone .. it was a blown wheel bearing, no noises since it was repaired. i am blaming the pot holes lolz

-cj-
07-14-2009, 11:05 PM
I've got this same noise... Loud cluck/click when changing direction AND turning the wheel (Like when doing a 3 point turn)... Doesn't seem to happen at any other time, except when I'm parking the car again (Slow tight turns) at work. I'll take it to the dealer tomorrow hopefully and see what they say.

Bluemazda3-S
07-15-2009, 12:02 AM
alhope had the same problem! He took his MS3 to the dealer, not sure what they did to fix it though.