PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Coolant

Tizmee24
09-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Is there anyone here did change their on coolant??? if so how and what coolant did you used???

Cause i want to change mine, But i dont see anywhere in front of my car to get an access to change my coolant, i know all about under the car how to drain the coolant, but where can i put the new coolant .... anyone????

ultimateM3
09-03-2008, 12:08 AM
Is there anyone here did change their on coolant??? if so how and what coolant did you used???

Cause i want to change mine, But i dont see anywhere in front of my car to get an access to change my coolant, i know all about under the car how to drain the coolant, but where can i put the new coolant .... anyone????

If i m not wrong. after u drain ur old coolant. U should fill it up where the rad is until is fully top up, then fill ur coolant resevoir (the plastic container) half way between cold n hot.

I normally change my every year, maybe is too frequent but i like to keep it clean. Even engine oil i change every 4000 km.

Correct me if i m wrong... anyone.

Btw, i dont change myself, i take it to my buddy's garage.

06Touring3
09-03-2008, 09:11 AM
yeah i'd liket o know also i want to change my coolant as well

Flagrum_3
09-03-2008, 06:21 PM
The rad has no cap, the cap is located on the reservoir tank...Do this with a cold engine only

Remove the reservoir cap, then remove the engine undercover.
Locate and remove the rad drain plug and let it drain completely in a pan.
Wash the system out thru the reservior tank with clean water till water comes out clear from drainage hole...Tighten the drainage plug to 12ft/lbs.
Fill the res' tank to the top with a 50/50 mix place the cap on and start the engine, let it run in idle or slightly above with the heater controls on full heat. (keep your eye on the temp guage) if it rises above normal shut it off and let it cool>also a good time to refill the res' tank- keep an eye on the res' tank as the level will go down.But after the enitial fill do not fill it past half!

Run the engine again, several minutes at 1500rpm, several minutes at 2500 rpm> keeping an eye on the guage and Res' tank.....the system may 'burp'.

After running the engine shut it down, let it cool, then carefully remove the cap and check level.....check underneath for drainage plug leakage and re=install the undercover....that should do it.

Take the car for a short spin and recheck the level...and keep an eye on the guage for awhile incase of air pockets etc;

_3

Tizmee24
09-03-2008, 06:31 PM
what coolant did you used ... they saying about FL22???

Flagrum_3
09-03-2008, 06:45 PM
what coolant did you used ... they saying about FL22???

Check on the cap, if it states FL22 then you must use it. ( get it from the dealer) if not stated, you can purchase any coolant as long as its a Ethylene-Glycol based coolant...any other kind will promote corrosion in the system.

_3

mazda lover
09-03-2008, 08:08 PM
I am not sure but to get any air out of the system leave the cap off the reservoir while running the engine for a few minutes with the heater on full. Did this to my older cars that had a cap on the rad. So the Mazda rad doesn't have a cap so not sure if it will work the same.
I think the manual shows where the drain plug is

McGuyver_3
09-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Check on the cap, if it states FL22 then you must use it. ( get it from the dealer) if not stated, you can purchase any coolant as long as its a Ethylene-Glycol based coolant...any other kind will promote corrosion in the system.

_3

Hey Flagrum_3,
quick question though does the block have a drain plug aswell or only the drain plug off of the rad?
thanks

McG_3

Flagrum_3
09-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Hey Flagrum_3,
quick question though does the block have a drain plug aswell or only the drain plug off of the rad?
thanks

McG_3

According to the Mazda3 shop manual the only drain plug available is on the rad.

Why you planning on doing it soon?

_3

McGuyver_3
09-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Yeah 70000ish KM and i have to do it haha. I have changed every other fluid this is the last one. I just asked because all the cars at my work have one in the block but every car is different
thanks

McG_3

Flagrum_3
09-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Yeah 70000ish KM and i have to do it haha. I have changed every other fluid this is the last one. I just asked because all the cars at my work have one in the block but every car is different
thanks

McG_3

Dan, there's another method to flush the system, it does a more complete job but takes a little more work, if interested I'll give you a hand!...What type and brand of koolant you going for? I was thinking of going for the longlife stuff!

_3

streetwerks
09-07-2008, 03:57 PM
you must use FL22 coolant. if you happen to mix it with any generic coolant the coolant will turn black and over time starts to eat the aluminum.

dentinger
09-07-2008, 04:11 PM
yupp ^^

thats what happens wit Dexcool in GM's.
as soon as the head gasket goes, the coolant eats thru everything.

Flagrum_3
09-08-2008, 12:40 AM
you must use FL22 coolant. if you happen to mix it with any generic coolant the coolant will turn black and over time starts to eat the aluminum.

Sorry but Wrong!! ...You Only need to use FL22 'if' it is stated on or around your cap.Otherwise you don't have to....Its true that you don't want to mix them though.
If it does not state to use FL22 type coolant you MUST use only a Ethylene-Glycol based coolant, other bases will promote corrosion and cause an early failure of your coolant system components.

_3

06Touring3
09-08-2008, 09:32 AM
can anyone confirm if the 3 does in fact need FL22 coolant so we all know?

Flagrum_3
09-08-2008, 03:32 PM
can anyone confirm if the 3 does in fact need FL22 coolant so we all know?

Hey Adio, no one here can confirm it better then you just picking up the Owner's manual and reading it./ On my '05 Sport GT, the manual states exactly what I wrote above!! ...I've checked the stickers on my cap and the surrounding area and did not find any writing or numbers pertaining to the use of FL22 coolant.So according to the manual I do not need to use it.This could have changed after '05...but it should tell you in your vehicles manual.

_3

McGuyver_3
09-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Dan, there's another method to flush the system, it does a more complete job but takes a little more work, if interested I'll give you a hand!...What type and brand of koolant you going for? I was thinking of going for the longlife stuff!

_3

Ron, yeah sure if you dont mind once i get my driveway back haha. Dad is still letting it settle b4 we drive on it. Coolant wise i was going to get some stuff from my work that stuff is pretty good. Gota get a price on it

06Touring3
09-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Hey Adio, no one here can confirm it better then you just picking up the Owner's manual and reading it./ On my '05 Sport GT, the manual states exactly what I wrote above!! ...I've checked the stickers on my cap and the surrounding area and did not find any writing or numbers pertaining to the use of FL22 coolant.So according to the manual I do not need to use it.This could have changed after '05...but it should tell you in your vehicles manual.

_3

yeah thank Ron i guess i coulda thought of that on my own lol

but i'll check since mine is an '06 and see what it recommends