PDA

View Full Version : 900 km's = CEL?

Mazda3X2
09-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Got my very own check engine light today right at the 900 km mark. I can get into the dealer Thursday to look at it. I am wondering if it has something to do with my faulty gas cap?

I have tried searching for ways to reset it or check the code but haven't found anything yet.

This is a little disappointing.

mleblond
09-09-2008, 04:51 PM
go to a meet where someone has a Access port or Dash hawk, They can read the code and figure it out. Good luck!

Zoom Zoom Boy
09-09-2008, 05:03 PM
A faulty or loose gas cap can certainly cause the check engine light to come on. If you are having issues with your gas cap, then yes, that could certainly be the culprit.

To make the CEL go away, simply disconnect the battery for a few seconds. If it comes back, you know you have an endemic problem.

If it is just the gas cap, this is a pretty minor issue and best to be found out now. I am sure it is easily corrected. All cars and manufacturers have their issues, particularly since most of the components these days are all contract manufactured.

While I would find it dissapointing to have an issue on a new car also, at the end of the day, a faulty gap cap, or overfilling the tank with gas is not very serious in the scheme of things.

BTW- Which of your 2008.5's are exhibiting the CEL? The Speed3 or the regular 3?

I too just recently purchased a 2008.5 Speed3 and to date, have no issues, gas cap or otherwise.

Mazda3X2
09-09-2008, 05:20 PM
The CEL is on the Speed 3. I'm hoping it is the gas cap. But the car did seem a little.....less peppy than usual the last 2 days.

Zoom Zoom Boy
09-09-2008, 06:05 PM
The CEL is on the Speed 3. I'm hoping it is the gas cap. But the car did seem a little.....less peppy than usual the last 2 days.

I hope it's the gas cap too. Please update once you take it into the dealer and find out. Good luck.

mleblond
09-09-2008, 06:26 PM
did you check all your fluids?

Mazda3X2
09-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Well I got word from the dealer today on the CEL. Looks like it is the gas cap after all. Code was something about losing fuel vapour vacuum (?).

I put 2 big a$$ screws through the black portion of the cap into the white to hold it all together until I got a new one. I knew they would interfere with the valve inside the cap, but I had to do something. Now it's a 2 week wait to get a new cap. Oh well, could have been worse.

Fuman
09-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Well I got word from the dealer today on the CEL. Looks like it is the gas cap after all. Code was something about losing fuel vapour vacuum (?).

I put 2 big a$$ screws through the black portion of the cap into the white to hold it all together until I got a new one. I knew they would interfere with the valve inside the cap, but I had to do something. Now it's a 2 week wait to get a new cap. Oh well, could have been worse.
two week wait? When I went to MOT, I brought it on the spot.
Which dealer did you go to?

mleblond
09-12-2008, 11:16 AM
2 weeks has to be bull shit....I would ask for a free umbrella they are giving away ;)