PDA

View Full Version : Active Green & Ross

bluemazda3
09-13-2008, 09:42 AM
I got my alignment done at Active Green and Ross a few weeks ago in Hamilton, I dont know how the other franchises run there business but this one was exceptional.. Got my car in and out in less than an hour.. was going to charge me $95.. but he said he will only charge me for 2 wheels because the back ones were almost perfect.. they adjusted it without charge!!
I paid a total of $65 taxes in and a printout before and after... very satisfied.

KenYork
09-13-2008, 12:57 PM
very good price.

bigwood29
09-14-2008, 09:32 AM
The Green & Ross in Markham (on Hwy 7) is the same - great service and honesty. Totally recommend them.

Scottobot
09-14-2008, 10:33 AM
I've been taking my wife's car to AG&R for just under a year and I've been very very happy with them. If my dealership pisses me off I'll be taking my car there. I've been dealing with the one in Brampton on Queen St. East. They're also open 7 days a week, and until 8pm during the week.

bluemazda3
09-14-2008, 11:41 AM
I've been taking my wife's car to AG&R for just under a year and I've been very very happy with them. If my dealership pisses me off I'll be taking my car there. I've been dealing with the one in Brampton on Queen St. East. They're also open 7 days a week, and until 8pm during the week.

noy many shops are open 7 days a week! so convienient <--spelling?

Krisekca
09-14-2008, 11:56 PM
BlueMazda wich AGR it was there is couple in Hamilton

Thx

bluemazda3
09-15-2008, 12:40 AM
BlueMazda wich AGR it was there is couple in Hamilton

Thx

the one in Limeridge Mall.. nice guys.. very cool people..

SSmoked
09-15-2008, 08:51 AM
The Green & Ross in Markham (on Hwy 7) is the same - great service and honesty. Totally recommend them.

my experience wasnt as great tho. i went in for a oil changed. they were quick and the staff was nice. but they ripped my skidplate(to access the oil filter) off during the oil change. i leave the parken lot to hear my plate scratchen the floor i bring it back look under my car and the plate is being held in by 1 screw. they said they never touched it but i knew that it went into the place all in tack and left broken. they kindly fixed it. i can honestly say i wont be going back.

midnightfxgt
09-15-2008, 09:10 AM

If its the one near Keele I think it is..... stay away!

I had a good friend who was a mechanic there. They were instructed to over qoute and add items that "needed to be replaced" to work orders. A big one for them is struts/shocks since most people wont notice or know :complain

-John

06Touring3
09-15-2008, 09:12 AM
whitby mazda did the same thing with my skid plate!!! mine looks like they missed a screw and ripped it pulling it off....ridiculous....

back on topic...i will be considering AG&R for my alignment after i get my springs on friday

bluemazda3
09-15-2008, 09:25 AM
Drive to Hamilton!! lol cant go wrong with $65.. depends how badly its off by.

cereal83
09-15-2008, 10:13 AM
What did you get done that they only charged you for 2 tires instead of 4? no comprende

06Touring3
09-15-2008, 11:09 AM
2 of his tires were so close to stock spec that they only charges him to align 2 tires

bluemazda3
09-15-2008, 12:24 PM
but they did adjust all four!! :chuckle

ds2chan
09-15-2008, 01:52 PM
If its the one near Keele I think it is..... stay away!

I had a good friend who was a mechanic there. They were instructed to over qoute and add items that "needed to be replaced" to work orders. A big one for them is struts/shocks since most people wont notice or know :complain

-John

my fiancee went to the one at Yonge and Steeles for an oil change and the guy told her that she needs new shocks.. what do shocks have to do with an oil change?? and I know that there is nothing wrong with her shocks!! I told her that they were just taking her for a ride (pun intended)..

Scottobot
09-15-2008, 02:26 PM
my fiancee went to the one at Yonge and Steeles for an oil change and the guy told her that she needs new shocks.. what do shocks have to do with an oil change?? and I know that there is nothing wrong with her shocks!! I told her that they were just taking her for a ride (pun intended)..

I hate it when that happens.
A good mechanic whom you can trust is worth his/her weight in gold.

bluemazda3
09-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Atleast the hamilton location is honesty..

Friendly Spider
10-08-2010, 06:01 PM

Regarding shocks/struts replacement - You can replace when broken, replace when worn out, or replace on a mileage based schedule.

You likely received the strut recommendation based on mileage (80,000+k)
this figure has been provided by Monroe (manufacturer) and also "The Motorist Assurance Program" a independant watchdog type company. If you want to see the MAP information go to http://www.motorist.org/ or http://www.motorist.org/uics/uics_suspen.HTM

And FYI - If the struts are weak the springs will likely be sagging with the ride height lower then it should be, and unless the ride height is still within factory specs you cannot get an alignment done to factory spec at all.

rebbekka
04-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Strongly suggest staying away from Active Green & Ross Whitby location.
They replaced my timing belt and water pump but never told me about the timing belt's pulley. That pulley broke a year later, broke the belt and has buggered up my engine. Looking at $2,500 minimum for repair and they are taking no responsibility. If I was a mechanic I wouldn't be using one, so I expect a mechanic to advise me on what does and does not need to be addressed when a huge job is being done.

Hyperion
04-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Stay away from Active Green & Ross as a rule of thumb.....

csr
04-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Thumbs down for AG+R at Kennedy & Steeles.

2 weeks ago....

Coles Notes:
- I did an oil change @ Active Green + Ross (AG+R) which resulted in thick white smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe (as a result of overfilled engine oil)

Long version: I took my car to Active Green and Ross @ Kennedy/Steeles for an oil change (tried to be cheap). When it was all said and done, my car was puffing white smoke so thick I couldn't see through my rear view mirror. My car was brought back to the garage at AGR and they tried to diagnose the problem. Turns out they overfilled the engine oil. They put it back up on the hoist and said they emptied some of the oil out and refilled it again, and that everything should be fine. The car was still smoking when we restarted the car so they took it for a long drive around the block tried to burn off the excessive engine oil. It came back a lot less smokey but there were still traces of white smoke. Warning: DO not go to AG+R no matter what!

I didn't rust these idiots so I called Jimmy @ Street Performance right away - the first person I could think of to try to diagnose the problem. I explained to him the situation and he suggested a couple potential issues. I asked if I could visit his shop right away to take a look at the problem and he said sure. I made my way over to his shop (which I should have gone to in the first place) and he confirmed there was too much engine oil. Without me asking, he emptied it and refilled it to the correct amount (Free of charge!). Turns out the idiots at AG+R overfilled the engine oil by over 0.5L even after they said they emptied some.

I definitely learned my lesson and will only go to Jimmy for service now. He was a pleasure to meet and a great guy. Thank you to Jimmy! Thumbs down for AG+R. Never going back if they can't even get a simple oil change done right!

salata2010
04-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Was reading the comments on here and just had to tell you - don't go to the Green & Ross at Limeridge Mall in Hamilton.
My husband, a mechanic of 40+ yrs was out town so my 86 yr old mother went to G&R at Limeridge Mall. The total bill for the repair was $600. They took advantage of her - my husband went to see them afterwards and this was their explanation:

1. They charged her $56 for a $10 part (from Barton Auto Parts): They claimed that their supplier charges them $26 and they have a 55% gross profit markup.
2. They replaced 4 of those parts when they only needed to replace 2: They claimed they "don't wait for a part to break before [they] fix it". They had to replace 2, so they felt they should replace all 4.
3. The standard labour manual that is commonly used by repair shops states labour should be charged 0.6 hours for the first two parts and 0.5 for the second two (that's 1.1 hrs total). Mom was charged 2.0 hours labour @ $90/hr. (that's 0.9 hrs overcharge) G&R admitted they "might have been a little heavy on the labour charge".

Mom told me the "really nice man who helped her" was Stephen. My husband spoke to the owner, Tony - who coincidentally happened to be the son of a friend of ours.

In summary, Mom was overcharged $112 for the 2 parts that didn't need replacing; $45 for labour of those 2 parts; $81 for the "little heavy labour"; and of course the resulting HST difference of $30.94 for a whopping $268.94 and that does not take into account the part price descrepency. So her $600 bill should have been roughly $330. Of course, G&R would not provide a refund or offer any other solution.

I would also mention that this whole incident came to our attention when the car broke down only days after this repair. Mom went back to G&R thinking it was part of the same problem. They gave her an estimate of just under $600 for the second visit. I arranged to have the car towed to another place where the repair was $310. Of course, since she didn't keep the car at G&R for the second repair they charged her $40 for the estimate.

And did I say my mother is a 90 lbs. 86 year old lady? And they tried to take her for $1,200. Disgusting!

highlineMotors
05-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Active Green + Ross are run by crooks. Unfortunately, I was an employee there when I was an apprentice. The owner offered me a raise and would pay me licensed-tech rate. But he also said, "if I were to quit, he would break my leg." The next day I called the police, left and went to work for Mazda the next day. Another tech I knew left that one green + ross location to go work for another. After finding out that the previous owner was stealing from his employees, he reported the incident. Green + Ross head office gave the tech issue and he now works for ford. To this day, the crook who runs that specific green + ross (fairview mall) location is still operating his shop. Shame on acrive green and ross. Would never recommend anyone to get their vehicle fixed there.

Marta
05-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Stay away from Active Green & Ross as a rule of thumb.....

+1
Often have them & other quick lube places calling dealerships to ask what type of oil to use on the cars...
*facepalm*

leecheefoto
05-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Sorry but this isn't as big of a bad review but just contributing. I have a few family and friend's history with AGR and these couples are pretty fishy;

Had my dad's brand new F-150 truck to do oil change only 900kms in and they inspected the brakes and said, "These brakes are no good! They have to be removed."
My dad responds, "Oh yea?" playing along to see how long they try to scam him.
AGR: "I made a work order for you, here! It's over 90,000kms and should be changed"
Dad: "There must be something wrong! How can it be??"
AGR Manager comes in "Your brakes do need to be changed."
Dad: "But what do you mean? This truck is brand new with 900kms"
AGR Manager: "Oh.." and he walks away ripping the work order up.

----------------

My gf's brother comes in for a replacement of a lower ball joint and a fix of other electrical problems that were minor
Quoted him $400 + tax to fix, and all they did was fix some of the electrical problems and spray lube on the lower ball joint instead of replacing it.

Both of these were at Jane and Wilson

mickey
06-19-2013, 09:10 PM
I purchased a set of 4 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires for my Mazda 3 last Saturday June 15, 2013 from an Active Green and Ross (AGR) at Ellesmere and Kennedy Road in Scarborough. I was calling around and shopping for tires and the representative I spoke to on the phone at AGR said they had a “buy 3 and get one tire free” deal. The cost was $177/per tire * 3 plus other applicable fees and taxes for the four tires, including installation mounting + balancing (additional fee relating to wheel weights; the total amount I paid through my debit card on Saturday June 15, 2013 was $647). Since they did not have the stock at the time of payment but they said they would call me back during the week. Today I received a call from AGR saying that they cannot fulfill my order due to a “pricing error” but that they could help me get other tires or that I would have to pay an additional amount to get the Michelins I initially ordered (approx. $780 I believe in total). Another option they gave me was to get a refund of the amount I paid.

My question is, I have a paid invoice stating specifically what I ordered and the services to be performed. Is this not a contract and would Active Green and Ross not be in breach of contract if they suddenly decided to not to honour it because of their "pricing error"? Are they allowed to simply break off a deal like that? How should I proceed on this?

aris
06-20-2013, 08:03 AM
I purchased a set of 4 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires for my Mazda 3 last Saturday June 15, 2013 from an Active Green and Ross (AGR) at Ellesmere and Kennedy Road in Scarborough. I was calling around and shopping for tires and the representative I spoke to on the phone at AGR said they had a “buy 3 and get one tire free” deal. The cost was $177/per tire * 3 plus other applicable fees and taxes for the four tires, including installation mounting + balancing (additional fee relating to wheel weights; the total amount I paid through my debit card on Saturday June 15, 2013 was $647). Since they did not have the stock at the time of payment but they said they would call me back during the week. Today I received a call from AGR saying that they cannot fulfill my order due to a “pricing error” but that they could help me get other tires or that I would have to pay an additional amount to get the Michelins I initially ordered (approx. $780 I believe in total). Another option they gave me was to get a refund of the amount I paid.

My question is, I have a paid invoice stating specifically what I ordered and the services to be performed. Is this not a contract and would Active Green and Ross not be in breach of contract if they suddenly decided to not to honour it because of their "pricing error"? Are they allowed to simply break off a deal like that? How should I proceed on this?

It's not a contract it is a bill of sale.

I would just get a refund .... The pricing error would cost them money and makes no sense to sell it at a loss.

midnightfxgt
06-20-2013, 12:40 PM
They made a mistake. Everyone is human. You haven't received the product, nor are they forcing you to pay more. They are doing the right thing, and giving you options, and a chance to get your cash back

mickey
06-24-2013, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the insight and comments. An update on my situation: the store manager decided he was going to honour the original sale price and I'm very happy with his decision.

All in all, the store manager was pleasant to deal with and did the right thing by honouring the originally agreed upon price. I commend him for it. I've purchased two other sets of tires from AGR in the past five years and I'm glad this transaction worked out well.

SomeGuy
06-25-2013, 04:38 PM
I've heard lots of bad about them and wouldn't use them to actually have work done to my car...

However, I bought my Michelin PSS's from them here in Kitchener and they beat every price I could find by a fair margin. Not only that, but their install was perfection...not one little mark on the rims, the balance was beautiful and all around just a good experience. I guess it's hit or miss depending on which one you go to, but I'd definitely buy tires from them again.