PDA

View Full Version : Hang on to those Cobb SRI boys

Fobio
09-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Not mine, of course...recent ebay sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazdaspeed-3-Cobb-Intake_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c39Q 3a1Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286 Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem130258252500QQitemZ130258252 500

CanadaGTO
09-28-2008, 12:25 PM
Jeez..... That's nuts.

Unoriginalusername
09-28-2008, 12:32 PM
how long is the backorder?

CanadaGTO
09-28-2008, 01:28 PM
No official word yet, but I would hope it wouldn't be long now.

stormin84
09-28-2008, 01:33 PM
wow if that guy does sell it then he is making a good buck on it...

silvermist99
09-28-2008, 01:42 PM
this is what I hate about modding this car.

Unoriginalusername
09-28-2008, 02:04 PM
this is what I hate about modding this car.

that its expensive, supply can be limited at times or that the sri is blue?

5_Alive
09-28-2008, 05:41 PM
what makes these intakes so special? lol.. its a short ram.. I dislike short-rams.. more heat-soak..
that's just my opinion though..

alhope34
09-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Yea, for that money I'd get CAI. Seems crazy to me to spend $330 US on a SRI. I'd have troubles even spending the $200 CAD or whatever it is on an SRI.

silvermist99
09-28-2008, 06:10 PM
that its expensive, supply can be limited at times or that the sri is blue?

I hate the fact that it is so damn hard to buy mods for this car. Aftermarket tuners make stuff for this car, produces them, hype them up, sells a first batch then they either have delays (AP, SRI) or they don't work / have problems ( SRI again with the straightner/bracket, CPE engine mount, cobb STS, various engine mount bushings, MS CAI). These are just a few parts that I wanted and couldn't get at some point from what I remembered. Eventually I got very tired of parts hunting/bidding war and lost interest in modding the car because of this.

If cobb sold their SRI for $400 and actually had them in stock. I and a lot of others probably would have gotten one and be very happy with. The suspense just kills.

For a new Ms3 owner who wants to mod their car it'll probably go like this: they want more turbo wooshing noise and a more solid engine/tranny feel.... then to go online to see what works best on their cars, majority of the online reviews will point out cobb sri for intake and cpe rear engine mount... then they decided on these mods and off they go to buy them, only one problem, its impossible to buy them new. Parts are there and they work great but you can't buy it. It is a very fustrating process modding this car.

Fobio
09-28-2008, 06:19 PM
I hate the fact that it is so damn hard to buy mods for this car. Aftermarket tuners make stuff for this car, produces them, hype them up, sells a first batch then they either have delays (AP, SRI) or they don't work / have problems ( SRI again with the straightner/bracket, CPE engine mount, cobb STS, various engine mount bushings, MS CAI). These are just a few parts that I wanted and couldn't get at some point from what I remembered. Eventually I got very tired of parts hunting/bidding war and lost interest in modding the car because of this.

If cobb sold their SRI for $400 and actually had them in stock. I probably would have gotten one and be very happy with. The suspense just kills.

Hey...I'll sell you mine for $400 shipped! :chuckle

Seriously...everything happened for a reason...now you have a colour-matched factory supported MS-CAI, and with the straightener installed, you have gotten an AEM-equivalent intake for much much less...

I think you just have too much money and not enough ways to spend it to your car quick enough...you need to get Pat on your speed dial...

Besides...you AND I are prolly more proud of the 700km/tank you just got out of the car...you ain't suffering that bad bro! I can barely get 400km/tank :flaming

Unoriginalusername
09-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Yea, for that money I'd get CAI. Seems crazy to me to spend $330 US on a SRI. I'd have troubles even spending the $200 CAD or whatever it is on an SRI.

at $200 the Cobb SRI is the best bang for the buck mod for this car.

alhope34
09-28-2008, 07:00 PM
at $200 the Cobb SRI is the best bang for the buck mod for this car.

I'd still much rather spend the extra money on a CAI, which is what I have done. I bought my MS CAI used for $300 back just after Christmas, and I'm sure they can be found cheaper now. To me, the whole point of an intake is to pull colder, less restricted air in from the front of the car. The SRI pulls air from the exact same place as the stock box, if not even closer to the engine which obviously is the heat source. CAI has two advantages, less restriction and colder air all the time. SRI has one advantage, less restriction. Sometimes the SRI might be able to bring in cool air if there is enough air flow from speed of the vehicle under the hood, but again, it's pulling air from the same general location as the stock box.

Unoriginalusername
09-28-2008, 07:04 PM
I'd still much rather spend the extra money on a CAI, which is what I have done. I bought my MS CAI used for $300 back just after Christmas, and I'm sure they can be found cheaper now. To me, the whole point of an intake is to pull colder, less restricted air in from the front of the car. The SRI pulls air from the exact same place as the stock box, if not even closer to the engine which obviously is the heat source. CAI has two advantages, less restriction and colder air all the time. SRI has one advantage, less restriction. Sometimes the SRI might be able to bring in cool air if there is enough air flow from speed of the vehicle under the hood, but again, it's pulling air from the same general location as the stock box.

testing from companies and users with a dashhawk shows the temps identical once the car is moving. The silicone doesn't retain heat, there is no such thing as hydro lock, its cheaper, and easier to service..... and the sri works the best with the ap

alhope34
09-28-2008, 07:22 PM
testing from companies and users with a dashhawk shows the temps identical once the car is moving. The silicone doesn't retain heat, there is no such thing as hydro lock, its cheaper, and easier to service..... and the sri works the best with the ap

Yea, I'd amagine it would work better with the AP, cobb wants everyone to buy only their stuff, as does every other company. Maybe I feel like I'm actually getting something more with the CAI in the material sense for my money, but I'll always much rather buy a CAI than a filter stuck on the end of a rubber tube. I'm also stubborn enough that when I know what I like better, no arguement will change my mind. I'm sticking to my opinion that for me, my CAI is better anyway.

therein60mins
09-28-2008, 07:23 PM
how much gains can u possibly expect from an intake??

alhope34
09-28-2008, 07:27 PM

100hp or so.

No? :chuckle

b1epgh24
09-28-2008, 08:06 PM
I ordered one last week from cobb and they send me a email back telling me that it was out of order and they will have some this winter I CANT WAIT.

condor888000
09-28-2008, 08:31 PM

Speeds see 20-30whp. A regular 3, you can expect 3-5whp.

Unoriginalusername
09-28-2008, 08:37 PM
scc dyno tested the mscai at 14whp

alhope34
09-28-2008, 08:38 PM
Last year on M3F I've also seen the MS CAI get 22whp and 15wtq.

Unoriginalusername
09-28-2008, 09:12 PM
Last year on M3F I've also seen the MS CAI get 22whp and 15wtq.

i know generous and mean dyno's in the area... if everyone one wants big numbers i know where to send you but that doesn't make a difference on the road or the track :chuckle

Fobio
09-29-2008, 06:25 PM
well...at least we can all rest assured that CP-E will be coming out with a SRI as well eventhough they have had a CAI in production.

Options = Win

craigrodrigues88
09-29-2008, 07:26 PM
unreal! i still dont know what to go with..
do i go for the less expensive cobb sri with no hydro issues
or ms cai with warranty...urgh decisions, decisions!

stormin84
09-29-2008, 07:31 PM
didn't mazdaspeed recall their cai on the speed with having cel's

Fobio
09-29-2008, 07:34 PM
unreal! i still dont know what to go with..
do i go for the less expensive cobb sri with no hydro issues
or ms cai with warranty...urgh decisions, decisions!

MS-CAI is a discontinued part, as its length without an air-streightener causes turbulent and erratic MAF readings (read: lean conditions). There's an AEM-equivalent (the MS one is just a rebranded AEM-CAI) that's the same as the MS-CAI but comes with the air-straightener...but it's ~$350 I think...

If you grab or have a MS-CAI...it's a good idea to get the air-straightener to even the airflow out...not all MS-CAi suffers from this, but the fact that Mazda has discontinued one of their own MS parts is disconcerting enough...but with the straightener, you're good to go...

craigrodrigues88
09-29-2008, 07:37 PM
so i guess it would probably be more beneficial to wait for the COBB unit. I have heard nothing but good things about it, has anybody heard of any major issues when using it?

alhope34
09-29-2008, 07:40 PM
I haven'thad any problems with my MS CAI throwing CELs or anything, but I;m getting really curious to what all the hype about the Cobb is. Only down side is a rediculous waiting period.

Fobio
09-29-2008, 07:41 PM
so i guess it would probably be more beneficial to wait for the COBB unit. I have heard nothing but good things about it, has anybody heard of any major issues when using it?

Cobb SRI had its own "growing pains" too...a batch had crooked straightener-fins. This issue has been resolved now. The wait tho, makes it hard to commit to. So CP-E, Cobb, and MS-CAI w/ straightener are all game...

stormin84
09-29-2008, 08:10 PM
i had a problem with the cobb filter with it being cracked...where the rubber met the filter..

5_Alive
09-30-2008, 06:04 AM
I picked up an Injen CAI from SU and its been nothing but great to me.. no cel's, no weird hesitation or stuttering, etc. for me..