PDA

View Full Version : Cobb Access Port....Canadian!

mleblond
10-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Hey, had some fun today with the AP...guess what I found!

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147/mleblond/DSC00115resized.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147/mleblond/DSC00117resized.jpg

Time to investigate some more ;)

07Speedfreak
10-11-2008, 04:58 PM
Son of a b***h :)

blackspeed3
10-11-2008, 05:33 PM
If we could find a direct link to supplier....we could get them for probably half!

SpeedBaby
10-11-2008, 06:35 PM
i've tried searching but nothing came up... If anyone has better luck locating that designer/assembler post it up!!

x_o_k_x
10-11-2008, 06:37 PM
http://www.techsol.ca/products/index.html

Josh @ COBB
10-13-2008, 02:15 PM
You caught us........we're guilty........we actually use North American people to manufacture the sub-components. We are the most horrible company ever! :D

Joking aside, some of the sub-components are manufactured in Canada. However, blackspeed3 and other conspiracy theorists, not all of the components are, and that combined with the programming that is done here means no going around us. Sorry. Even if our Canadian supplier decided to sell you a sub-component (and we fire them as a result!) then you have a useless piece of hardware. Like a computer with no operating system.

People's conspiracy theories and wanting to put good business out of business never ceases to amaze me. :P What else can a manufacturer do other than offer a good product, a large feature set, at a fair price (compared to other devices, flashes, etc., that do much, much less)?

07Speedfreak
10-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Relax Josh nobody is trying to put you out of business. We all love Cobb products here man. Welcome btw.

Josh @ COBB
10-13-2008, 02:21 PM
I know, it was a bit tongue-in-cheek (never comes across on the intarwebs).

mleblond
10-13-2008, 02:32 PM
lol yea no harm done ;) Were just proud to be Canadian :) You guys should get an office in canada :) that way we would not get hurt on exchange rates right now :chuckle

p.s. I guess I voided my warranty lol

Josh @ COBB
10-13-2008, 02:39 PM
Yep. :D There are ways we can tell it has been opened, the sticker is one. :)

Noisy Crow
10-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Yep. :D There are ways we can tell it has been opened, the sticker is one. :)

Posting large pics of your disassembled unit is another!:gone

Fobio
10-14-2008, 06:36 PM
hey...at least now we know Josh comes on these parts as well!

blackspeed3
10-14-2008, 06:40 PM
You caught us........we're guilty........we actually use North American people to manufacture the sub-components. We are the most horrible company ever! :D

Joking aside, some of the sub-components are manufactured in Canada. However, blackspeed3 and other conspiracy theorists, not all of the components are, and that combined with the programming that is done here means no going around us. Sorry. Even if our Canadian supplier decided to sell you a sub-component (and we fire them as a result!) then you have a useless piece of hardware. Like a computer with no operating system.

People's conspiracy theories and wanting to put good business out of business never ceases to amaze me. :P What else can a manufacturer do other than offer a good product, a large feature set, at a fair price (compared to other devices, flashes, etc., that do much, much less)?

Boo hoo Josh...if anyone could or had access to a product that was cheaper then the exact same thing someone else sells....do you really think they wouldnt purchase it for the cheaper price? Its everyones right to explore whatever options they choose to pursue. Get over it.

Unoriginalusername
10-14-2008, 08:34 PM
Boo hoo Josh...if anyone could or had access to a product that was cheaper then the exact same thing someone else sells....do you really think they wouldnt purchase it for the cheaper price? Its everyones right to explore whatever options they choose to pursue. Get over it.

did you even read his post? its made in north america and the hw is just a means to an end, the value is in the sw.

mleblond
10-14-2008, 08:41 PM
yep, it's like opening your dell computer and finding out none of the parts say dell on them....

what black speed is trying to say I think is that where they assembled the AP the software may be flashed there as well making this an option for Canadians with bad exchange rate not buy from the high US dollar. But I only see a lawsuit out of this anyway...

Unoriginalusername
10-14-2008, 09:23 PM
yep, it's like opening your dell computer and finding out none of the parts say dell on them....

what black speed is trying to say I think is that where they assembled the AP the software may be flashed there as well making this an option for Canadians with bad exchange rate not buy from the high US dollar. But I only see a lawsuit out of this anyway...

like josh said that company would be sued in a hurry and then lose the rights to assemble the product.

many cars are assembled in canada yet cost 24% on average more than some of the same cars that are shipped across the border... doesn't mean you can drive to the plant in Brampton and pick up an SRT8 for 10 grand less vs. buying it at a CND dealer

Fobio
10-14-2008, 09:35 PM
Guys...those are just some random pics from an unknown AP...just cuz you have pics of all the transistors and circuit board of an XBOX, doesn't mean you can put it together or drive up to a Plantronic facility and buy one from the back of the building...

besides...the goal was to add some jazz by making a CF cover for the AP...ppl buy cellphone cases and replace those all the time...

We don't need to antagonize the issue into some hoopla...

mleblond
10-14-2008, 09:41 PM
ok, thanks James.

Bottom line is techsol is in canada and I am happy for them. This is simply a discovery. Don't tell me this was a big hidden secret with cobb? Maybe this is good for Techsol :) Other companies may approach them now, I dunno I guess when your waiting for new maps you get bored and take shit appart...

mleblond
10-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Guys...those are just some random pics from an unknown AP...just cuz you have pics of all the transistors and circuit board of an XBOX, doesn't mean you can put it together or drive up to a Plantronic facility and buy one from the back of the building...

besides...the goal was to add some jazz by making a CF cover for the AP...ppl buy cellphone cases and replace those all the time...

We don't need to antagonize the issue into some hoopla...

well said :)

mods this is where I would simply say thanks :chuckle

blackspeed3
10-15-2008, 09:42 AM

That is more or less what I was getting at yes, thank you. Might as well just close this thread now though. I dont see anything useful coming from it now anymore....

blackspeed3
10-15-2008, 09:44 AM
like josh said that company would be sued in a hurry and then lose the rights to assemble the product.

many cars are assembled in canada yet cost 24% on average more than some of the same cars that are shipped across the border... doesn't mean you can drive to the plant in Brampton and pick up an SRT8 for 10 grand less vs. buying it at a CND dealer

Actually not true. I have 2 friends who work at Chrysler and that is actually an option :)

Unoriginalusername
10-15-2008, 09:53 AM
Actually not true. I have 2 friends who work at Chrysler and that is actually an option :)

challenger group buy anyone

CanadaGTO
10-15-2008, 10:00 AM
I'll take the R/T in Orange with race stripes please.

♻①☛
10-15-2008, 10:07 AM
x2 =)

SpeedBaby
10-15-2008, 10:51 AM
yes, i'll take the srt-10, thanks you

http://img.lenta.ru/iauto/news/2008/10/15/challenger/picture.jpg

♻①☛
10-15-2008, 10:53 AM
and change the name of this forum also to SRT :chuckle

blackspeed3
10-15-2008, 03:47 PM
haha well maybe not that easy ;) But they do get a substantial discount on Chrysler/Mercedez vehicles. They offered it to me before i got my speed3 and I said no thanks...not into chryslers really.

FlashEngineer
10-18-2008, 11:33 AM
lol AP is canadian made.. nice

Zspeed
10-21-2008, 09:26 PM
Hey guy's, any of you hav any good feedback/power gains from the COBB AP?? I would consider purchasing one but I hear mixed opinions on it. Is it really worth $700.00+taxes???

Unoriginalusername
10-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Hey guy's, any of you hav any good feedback/power gains from the COBB AP?? I would consider purchasing one but I hear mixed opinions on it. Is it really worth $700.00+taxes???

Yes but it is different than other mods. Bolt on a DP and you get instant satisfaction.... the AP depends on optimizing your existing mods. With a DP, Intake, FMIC etc. the AP made it work together and pull hard but if you had zero other mods i can't see it doing as much as a dp. so yes its worth it but you need to have the other stuff for it to make use of in its tune imo

stormin84
10-22-2008, 05:17 PM
i agree with UOU...it is worth it
and Zspeed you can buy it for that price or find someone that is selling it and get it for cheaper, like i did....thanks UOU

Zspeed
10-22-2008, 08:49 PM
thanks for the info. I may just get some more bolt ons before I decide to get one. used ones are very hard to find. did you get good gains from it with your mods?

stormin84
10-22-2008, 08:55 PM
thanks for the info. I may just get some more bolt ons before I decide to get one. used ones are very hard to find. did you get good gains from it with your mods?

i did especially with the fmic...it is hard to find one used but if you look hard enough you will be able to find one...

Josh @ COBB
11-07-2008, 10:01 AM
blackspeed3
I actually agree with you completely.........unless a company's product is outright copied, stolen, forged, or other similar situation. If a competitor were to come up with THEIR OWN product, I am all for it. If they just sold, sotld, copied, or otherwise a product I hope they rot in the farthest reaches of the netherworld. :)

I may be biased there because we have had a few products copied. In one instance regarding a shifter a few years back a customer sent in a shifter for being defective that he had purchased from a shop that told him it was ours. When we got it I hated to call him and tell him it was not ours. It was poorly made to say the least and it didn't even have parts on it that worked together. I ended up feeling bad enough that I gave him a discount on one of our shifters. To date we have had somewhere around 10 products copied, some more blatant than others. Some met with success, others have not. Some just include features that ours had that were not used much before, which is cool with me.

This has also happened to us with the AccessPORT. Not a hand held device, but there are places that offer a flash that you will notice almost exclusively comes out after an AccessPORT is made for that car or another prominent company's flash software supports it. This has not happened in the MazdaSpeed 3/6 market yet, but it is likely only a matter of time.

I used to download free music for free. Now I do not since I work in a place that gets their stuff copied or at least does the R&D indirectly for other companies. Just a perspective you gain from being on the other side of the fence, and not intended as an implied life lesson to you guys or anything. :)

[/soapbox]

07Speedfreak
11-07-2008, 11:10 AM
blackspeed3
I actually agree with you completely.........unless a company's product is outright copied, stolen, forged, or other similar situation. If a competitor were to come up with THEIR OWN product, I am all for it. If they just sold, sotld, copied, or otherwise a product I hope they rot in the farthest reaches of the netherworld. :)

I may be biased there because we have had a few products copied. In one instance regarding a shifter a few years back a customer sent in a shifter for being defective that he had purchased from a shop that told him it was ours. When we got it I hated to call him and tell him it was not ours. It was poorly made to say the least and it didn't even have parts on it that worked together. I ended up feeling bad enough that I gave him a discount on one of our shifters. To date we have had somewhere around 10 products copied, some more blatant than others. Some met with success, others have not. Some just include features that ours had that were not used much before, which is cool with me.

This has also happened to us with the AccessPORT. Not a hand held device, but there are places that offer a flash that you will notice almost exclusively comes out after an AccessPORT is made for that car or another prominent company's flash software supports it. This has not happened in the MazdaSpeed 3/6 market yet, but it is likely only a matter of time.

I used to download free music for free. Now I do not since I work in a place that gets their stuff copied or at least does the R&D indirectly for other companies. Just a perspective you gain from being on the other side of the fence, and not intended as an implied life lesson to you guys or anything. :)

[/soapbox]

Josh are you working on an Access port for the 09 Wrx (265hp) ? :)

Josh @ COBB
11-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Yes.

07Speedfreak
11-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Yes.

You made my day :bana2