PDA

View Full Version : All New 2010 MazdaSpeed 3 Undergoing Tests

TM3GX
10-22-2008, 10:33 AM
http://www.worldcarfans.com/9081022.004/all-new-mazdaspeed3-aka-mazda3-mps-hatchback-spotted-for-first-time-on-nrburgring

I apologise to the moderators, if this article has been posted already.

cereal83
10-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Cool pics

Garu
10-22-2008, 10:39 AM
Wow that's something new.
No that article was never posted before.
I hope that's AWD.

LockOut
10-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Wow... looks good!

Not sure on the hood scoop, though. Looks very Subaru-like.

CanadaGTO
10-22-2008, 10:49 AM
Hope it's AWD.

mazdas3sporte
10-22-2008, 10:52 AM
So the big question for this Mazda3 MPS – what's under the hood? Rumors are indicating the 300hp 2.5-liter 5-cylinder turbo from the Focus RS could be in there or the same 2.3-liter turbo massaged from 263hp to 300hp could be the one.

That would be directly in the WRX teritory... dang cant wait to see it !!!

great find, i looked everywhere for this but couldent find a singal article

sunnyhomeboy
10-22-2008, 10:53 AM
hope itz AWD+moonroof :)

royroy
10-22-2008, 10:54 AM
hope it is awd too =/

RedRaptor
10-22-2008, 10:54 AM
I guess thats how the new hatch will look like.

mleblond
10-22-2008, 10:55 AM
guys you know it's gonna be FWD...stop dreaming. If they made the mazda 3 sport AWD then they would make the speed AWD otherwise your SOL

Dislike the key hole on the back of the hatch...hood scoop is intelligent but they should of put the FMIC stock like the Cobalts did. I think they dual exhaust is nice but again the rear valance is not sporty enough. The rims look like the new ones on the RX8. Front grill looks more and more like the batmobile they built lol

mazdas3sporte
10-22-2008, 11:07 AM
i really am not liking the rear lights so far.... I hope to god its AWD... that would be amazing and a huge advantage for mazda when going against sti, evo

chinsterr
10-22-2008, 11:14 AM
no sedan? boo!

3GFX
10-22-2008, 11:34 AM
I'm not liking the GIGANTIC hood scoop.

I'm definitly liking the aggressive side skirts and doors. I'm actually wondering if those side skirts will fit on the current model 3.

x_o_k_x
10-22-2008, 11:41 AM
I like everthing even the paint looks good:chuckle
Looks like the will have similar rims to R3. So in overall thats a good news!

MSMitch
10-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Don't like the happy face grill under the plate. Hood scoop - looks too Dodge Neon IMO. But I LOVE the black tape job!!!! I'm thinking of doing the same, then everyone will think it's an undercover car!!! :) :) :)

mleblond
10-22-2008, 11:43 AM
hood scoop = less heat soak which is pretty damn bad with the current model. 300hp to the crank is good too ;)

Go_Habs_Go
10-22-2008, 11:46 AM
I'm into the new fangled gas cap!! Wires and stuff sticking out, I love it!! LOL :)

Unoriginalusername
10-22-2008, 11:47 AM
it will be fwd but it still looks cool... if we all put our money where our mouths are we'd have sti's or evo's but the fact of the matter is more people are happy to complain about fwd but still buy it than those who will actually sign up and buy one.

Zoom Zoom Boy
10-22-2008, 11:57 AM
Looking at these pics, I'm thrilled I bought the 2008.5 instead of waiting for the 2010.

Although the hood scoop makes sense from a turbo set-up/intercool perspective, I'm not a huge fan of big hood scoops generally. I only ever liked them on the old REX STi sedans, mainly because they were my wet dream and I think they look stupid on non-rally car hatch's. The current lines and hood of the MS3 are so subtle, smooth and refined compared to this.

Dual exhausts are nice, but the rear valence is too plain. The diffusers on the rear valence of the current MS3 are a very nice touch IMO.

Really, really don't like the flared bodywork and protruding lights in the rear. They're okay in the front. Overall, makes the car look like bug-eyed Marty Feldman...

I like the flared and curved bodywork on the lower door panels, but don't like the straight line flare that extends all the way to the rear on the upper portion of the doors. Very matrix looking in feel, if not appearance.

I really hate the lower front valance/intake of the car. Just ugly. I hope this is changed.

Overall, the car has much less of the subtle "sleeper" feel to it than the current MS3 and just doesn't appear to have the same sense of overall refinement. The current MS3 let's you know with subtle visual and audible cues that it is a lot more than just a regular 3. I like that a lot about the current MS3. This 2010 version has zero subtlety at all and screams racerboy/rice rocket which is cool if you're into that, but is simply not for me. This is the reason I still chuckle everytime i see an SRT-4 or Chevy Cobalt SS. Way too over the top.

I agree that the car will most likely not have AWD. Doesn't make sense for Mazda to do this unless they are going to start offering the new 3 in AWD versions also. Way too much overhead from a manufacturing and Q/A perspective for what will still be a limited production vehicle. If it does get AWD, it will need the 300HP being estimated in the article, just to compensate for the additonal weight and weight distribution that the AWD system will place on this car.

If I were a betting man, I'd say they keep the 2.3L DISI MZR engine and just tune it for more output with some suspension rigidity and other handling dynamic tweaks, but still in a FWD package. Perhaps they will give it launch control too which it sorely needs.

MSMitch
10-22-2008, 11:58 AM
it will be fwd but it still looks cool... if we all put our money where our mouths are we'd have sti's or evo's but the fact of the matter is more people are happy to complain about fwd but still buy it than those who will actually sign up and buy one.

+1 on that!!
Probably not a lot of people prepared to drop (at least) another $10,000 or so over the current Speed 3 if it were awd - especially since it would basically look like a car half of it's price (yes the same can be said for the Subie - but they certainly have a track record producing awd sports cars).

MAYBE we'll be in for a nice surprise, but for the time being, the STi is still on my "very next car" list!!! :)

MAZDA Kitten
10-22-2008, 12:00 PM
More info here: http://globalmotors.net/2010-mazda3-mps-spotted

For the lazy....

http://globalmotors.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/mazda-3-mps.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/zmmudu.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/350rxtu.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/oisvi0.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/1r7ukj.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/epev89.jpg

3GFX
10-22-2008, 12:06 PM
EVEN MORE INFO & PICS HERE!!!! :

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/22/spy-shots-mazdaspeed-3-spotted-at-the-ring/

MAZDA Kitten
10-22-2008, 12:48 PM
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x88/Crappage/MOAR.jpg

whiteomega
10-22-2008, 12:52 PM
guys you know it's gonna be FWD...stop dreaming. If they made the mazda 3 sport AWD then they would make the speed AWD otherwise your SOL

Dislike the key hole on the back of the hatch...hood scoop is intelligent but they should of put the FMIC stock like the Cobalts did. I think they dual exhaust is nice but again the rear valance is not sporty enough. The rims look like the new ones on the RX8. Front grill looks more and more like the batmobile they built lol

There's still a chance; the Mazda6 was FWD exclusively too, until the speed6.

I personally don't like the looks too much either; an FMIC would have been my choice. I'd still buy one though, but only if it came in AWD.

sas
10-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Wow! Focus have done hole on bonnet!

Mazda3X2
10-22-2008, 12:58 PM
As far as looks are concerned from what I can see, I like the subtleness of the current model.

If it turns out that 2010's have the 300hp 2.5 they mention, AWD, leather and a sunroof I will be truly jealous.

FLIPDADY
10-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Hood scoop screams get the **** out of my way!

Can't wait till the production models comes out.

Unoriginalusername
10-22-2008, 02:02 PM
the current mps had a scoup when it was caught testing a few years ago so don't assume this one will just because of this pic

iconicrocket
10-22-2008, 02:03 PM
That looks nice. The hood scoop reminds me of the mini.

Aitch
10-22-2008, 02:15 PM
As others have said, it likely won't be AWD for the pricepoint that Mazda is going for. I think they've had a lot of critical success with the Mazdaspeed3, versus the Mazdaspeed6. Although they had different target demographics I think they'll stick with the FWD setup out of cost considerations.

However, considering how the C1 Focus shares a similar platform, it would be awesome if Mazda took advantage of the newly designed Revo-knuckle front suspension design seen in the upcoming Focus RS. Not only does it help eliminate torque steer, the economies of scale would help both Mazda and Ford keep the price down on their respective models, an important advantage in the current marketplace.

I don't see the Mazdaspeed3 being so all-out like the RS; I think it will be more WRX than STI. But considering the success of the current car, I don't think that's a bad strategy at all.

Cardinal Fang
10-22-2008, 02:24 PM
SCREW THE AWD!

Make an auto transmission version of this so Mrs. Fang can drive the farker!

Walrus
10-22-2008, 02:30 PM
A person who can't drive stick, shouldn't be driving the performance version :gone

Fuman
10-22-2008, 02:33 PM
i really am not liking the rear lights so far.... I hope to god its AWD... that would be amazing and a huge advantage for mazda when going against sti, evoeven if it is AWD, it won't be much of an advantage when going against STI and evo. STI/Evo have years of AWD development, years of trial and error.

as much as we all wish it is awd, I agree that is rather unlikely.

CanadaGTO
10-22-2008, 02:38 PM
even if it is AWD, it won't be much of an advantage when going against STI and evo. STI/Evo have years of AWD development, years of trial and error.

as much as we all wish it is awd, I agree that is rather unlikely.

Don't forget big brother Ford has a long history of AWD rally vehicles from which to pull tech from. The Mazda3 has plenty of Ford parts already, no reason it can't have more.

btown-mazda
10-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Decisions, decisions...

I kinda like the new speeds but also like the new sedans as well. I really do think I need to upgrade my car as I'm pushing 120k right now and in 2010 it'll probably be at 200k with the amount of commuting I do. If I can afford the speed I'll get it cuz I've always wanted a turbo'd car, if not then the new 3s would be my next choice. Can't wait to test drive these babies next year

Propofol
10-22-2008, 03:22 PM
I like it, except for the huge hood scoop. Maybe they can make it more subtle or do away with it completely.

mEtH
10-22-2008, 03:43 PM
I'll take 2 please!

Cardinal Fang
10-22-2008, 03:45 PM
A person who can't drive stick, shouldn't be driving the performance version :gone

That's exactly what she said. I want to take away her only excuse for not getting this baby.

intensity
10-22-2008, 03:54 PM
oh man i love those dual-exhausts and the hood scoop!

Garu
10-22-2008, 04:10 PM

Not necessarily true. Regular 6 was FWD until Speed 6 which was AWD. Just because 3s are FWD, that does not mean Speed 3 has to be FWD.
And if they are building 300 HP engine on the new speed, it will be just plain ridiculous to have that on FWD car. Talk about wheel hops and torque steer. Ouch.

Walrus
10-22-2008, 04:17 PM
That's exactly what she said. I want to take away her only excuse for not getting this baby.

Hehe.. I'm lucky, my wife bought a standard car, when she could barely drive stick. She knew it would force her to learn how, and quickly. She wanted to, since no one in her family can drive stick, including her brother. When it came time to replace that car ('98 Sentra) with a 3, she put big Xs through all the automatics in Autotrader :hawt

When it comes time to replace the 2004 3 we have, she's all for getting a speed.

Zoom Zoom Boy
10-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Not necessarily true. Regular 6 was FWD until Speed 6 which was AWD. Just because 3s are FWD, that does not mean Speed 3 has to be FWD.
And if they are building 300 HP engine on the new speed, it will be just plain ridiculous to have that on FWD car. Talk about wheel hops and torque steer. Ouch.

Not necessarily true perhaps, but still unlikely to be AWD. Having a specically dedicated AWD MS3 will increase production costs and overhead and that will also be passed down to the end consumer.

I also don't see AWD as likely, since the Speed6 was not particularly successful in this market niche and configuration. You add AWD and then bang, you are immediately compared to the EVO, WRX STi and some other elite range performance compacts. Mazda has a perfect niche where they are with the Speed3 and I don't see them drastically changing it, but who knows... I guess we'll all find out soon enough.

As for 300HP MS3's with FWD...well, there are plenty of people, including on this forum, who have already modded their cars to those levels and they didn't even have to place a "Mugen" sticker on their car to do it... :chuckle

Caesu
10-22-2008, 04:27 PM
I would love a 6 speed DSG'like option for this car, and a manual for everyone also, just how VW offers the GTI/GLI

ZeroChalk
10-22-2008, 05:11 PM
wow...hmm.. *ideas twirling in head*

Scottobot
10-22-2008, 06:21 PM
I love what I see so far. Looking forward to the final version!

subliminally incorrect
10-22-2008, 06:23 PM
sorry to be off topic but...

... if spiderman drove it car, it would definitely look like that. haha...

but personally if they released the 2010 ms3 like that it would definitely be an eye catcher.

5_Alive
10-22-2008, 08:09 PM
For all we know, the hood scoop is fake, the car isn't turbo, but has the 3.7L V-6 in it.. and that front end is just a cover up for a different design. Companies will make their test cars look like what people speculate so it takes heat off and no one pays attention.

Eg. Mazda will have the interior and exterior of the current 3, but the underpinnings and engine/drivetrain will be completely new.. we have no idea, just wait and see.. hopefully it'll be as good and better than the current MS3..

I'm a little surprised however that they are already testing and wanting to release the MS3 so soon to the model year introduction.

BTW, look at this picture: check the third LED brake light.. something doesn't seem right, is it not installed in the spoiler?
http://www.worldcarfans.com/9081022.004/mini6/all-new-mazdaspeed3-aka-mazda3-mps-hatchback-spotted-for-first-time-on-nrburgring

iconicrocket
10-22-2008, 08:17 PM
I guess the current Mazdaspeed3 just depreciated a little faster.

Terrible3
10-22-2008, 10:08 PM
I do realize nothing is official yet, but at this moment in time I am not pumped. The air intake (yes it may be fake) makes the car look like a ricer and twin pipes on a single bank engine is weak. Both the rear wing and lower bumper just look out of place and basic. The only parts I like for sure are the new side mirrors and the 2009 RX-9 looking rims its running on.

As for the AWD speculations, I don't see it happening. Sure its possible, but like others said it would drive up the price of the car. With that being said having 300HP in a FWD car would scare me to death. My 156hp is already produces enough torque steer. I would guess that they will be using the new RS diff, or at least some new tranny and diff setup.

Split98
10-23-2008, 01:24 AM
For all we know, the hood scoop is fake, the car isn't turbo, but has the 3.7L V-6 in it.. and that front end is just a cover up for a different design. Companies will make their test cars look like what people speculate so it takes heat off and no one pays attention.

Eg. Mazda will have the interior and exterior of the current 3, but the underpinnings and engine/drivetrain will be completely new.. we have no idea, just wait and see.. hopefully it'll be as good and better than the current MS3..

I'm a little surprised however that they are already testing and wanting to release the MS3 so soon to the model year introduction.

BTW, look at this picture: check the third LED brake light.. something doesn't seem right, is it not installed in the spoiler?
http://www.worldcarfans.com/9081022.004/mini6/all-new-mazdaspeed3-aka-mazda3-mps-hatchback-spotted-for-first-time-on-nrburgring
Looks pretty integrated to me (looks well fit). IMO, it looks much better there than a spoiler mounted 3rd

silvermist99
10-23-2008, 01:28 AM
I hope there is a twin scroll turbo charger under that hood that can keep powerband wider & more consistant.

Those rims looks like rx8 19s.. pretty hot. I don't see any named branded brakes neither, they look a bit smaller then sti/evo's brakes.

The exterior change is pretty minor from what I can tell, I'd love to have that interior tho! finally PROPER gauges that starts at the 8 oclock position instead of 6. I see heated seat also!!! hopefully this makes it to the mps.

5_Alive
10-23-2008, 06:52 AM
The brakes wont be noted as it is a test car..

As for the brake light, that's what I was asking.. mine is in my spoiler, this one is in the hatch.. so it may be that spoiler isn't even the one going on the car?

3GFX
10-23-2008, 11:03 AM
Brakes look the same as current.

Zspeed
10-23-2008, 12:03 PM
Dont get your hopes up yet guys. We probably won't see the new Speed3 for at least 2 more years in Canada. As we know that europe get's the new models first before we do. I would say....sve your money 'till then.:)

Fuman
10-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Don't forget big brother Ford has a long history of AWD rally vehicles from which to pull tech from. The Mazda3 has plenty of Ford parts already, no reason it can't have more.
while true that ford has a long history of WRC experience, and Ford won the manufacture's championship in 07/06, I doubt there will be part sharing with respect to the AWD system. Mazda currently doesn't use Ford's AWD system in speed 6 or any other vehicle in their line up. Even the CX-7's AWD system is heavily based on the speed 6's.

Although, it will be pleasant to see Ford's WRC system in the new Mazdaspeeds 3/6.

Keep in mind that everyone doubted Mazda when they developed the Mazdaspeed 3 in FWD, stating too much power for a FWD car. In the end, Mazda pulled through. I see no reason to doubt Mazda's ability to pull of another amazing FWD car.

I do hope it will be AWD but I don't see it as likely.

maplephin
10-23-2008, 11:38 PM
hmmm....true red and a giant hood scoop....looks like the perfect invitation for more attention from the local constabulary! Let's hope like Unoriginalusername
said, that it is like the current MS3 and it was only for testing purposes.

Zoom Zoom Boy
10-24-2008, 09:12 AM
hmmm....true red and a giant hood scoop....looks like the perfect invitation for more attention from the local constabulary! Let's hope like Unoriginalusername
said, that it is like the current MS3 and it was only for testing purposes.

+1 :agree

RX9
10-24-2008, 10:43 AM
its not AWD yet from the photo and look at the dual pipe at the end. lol.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/tom2077/9081022_004_Mini6L.jpg

cy88
10-24-2008, 02:19 PM
I think it'll be harder for them to apply all 300hp on the front wheel compare to AWD, so either way it'll be interesting to see. I like the new look, the side view of the front looks a bit like STi.

JoeyW
10-24-2008, 11:38 PM
Not necessarily true perhaps, but still unlikely to be AWD. Having a specically dedicated AWD MS3 will increase production costs and overhead and that will also be passed down to the end consumer.

I also don't see AWD as likely, since the Speed6 was not particularly successful in this market niche and configuration. You add AWD and then bang, you are immediately compared to the EVO, WRX STi and some other elite range performance compacts. Mazda has a perfect niche where they are with the Speed3 and I don't see them drastically changing it, but who knows... I guess we'll all find out soon enough.

the current speed3 starts at 29... i dont see fitting a existing awd drivetrain pushing the cost past 33-36k.. and thats only wrx/ralliart territory

09 wrx vs 10 ms3
265hp vs 300hp

Why not?

By the time the ms3 is out, its almost for certain the sti will be setting the bar even higher.. (since recent tests of the 09 wrx is even to the sti)

Unoriginalusername
10-25-2008, 08:18 AM
the current speed3 starts at 29... i dont see fitting a existing awd drivetrain pushing the cost past 33-36k.. and thats only wrx/ralliart territory

09 wrx vs 10 ms3
265hp vs 300hp

Why not?

By the time the ms3 is out, its almost for certain the sti will be setting the bar even higher.. (since recent tests of the 09 wrx is even to the sti)

the ms6's drivetrain is no where near as advanced or durable as the ones found in the evo/sti... if mazda makes the three awd it has new competitors, ones that its not likely to dominate for a few years like the current car did let alone the whole it costing more then other good bang for your buck cars like the colbalt ss.

sure the mazda is 29k but the srt4 and cobalt are available for under 25k. the ms3 was overpriced in cnd dollars, the same math doesn't work when you look at bigger markets. the new ford focus RS is FWD, given the ms3 is 90% of the last gen ST in the UK that makes it about 99% certain that based on the rs the ms3 will also be fwd

mazdas3sporte
10-25-2008, 10:46 AM
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=10&article_id=7207

Road and Track ... I dont think its a repost

Now that Mazda has gone public with official photos of its all-new 2010 Mazda3, our spy photographer has caught the hot pocket-rocket version — the Mazdaspeed3 — in action. Even better yet, we're the first to bring you photos of the front-wheel-drive demon undergoing high-speed testing as it tears around Germany's Nürburgring race track.

While information is still sketchy, we expect the Mazdaspeed3's turbocharged 4-cylinder will stay at its current 2.3-liter size, not following the normally-aspirated sedan's increase to 2.5 liters. But it's expected Mazda will work some magic, upping power figures to about 280 bhp and an even 300 lb.-ft. of torque, while increasing the engine's ability to make power near its redline.

Although this prototype Mazdaspeed3 is still fairly disguised — especially at the front — it's clear the 5-door hatch silhouette remains. It's also clear it will adopt the new Mazda3's RX-8-like bulbous front fenders, with less severe versions (although more pronounced than the current car's) at the rear. The sides of the car appear more sculpted than before, and the disguised headlights and taillights likely will be more stylized.

The heavily taped and padded Subaru-esque hood scoop, which looks to channel air to the top-mount charge cooler, may well be just for show; Mazda has had an aversion to air intakes cluttering up hoods of late. Another change is a switch from a single to a dual exhaust, highlighted by a new rear bumper. The high-mount rear wing remains, although the element on this test mule looks to be larger than the current car's.

Look for the production Mazdaspeed3 at the Geneva show this March

Garu
10-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Everything seems to be an assumption at the moment. Like that article indicated we should find more about facts in upcoming March.

RX9
10-25-2008, 05:09 PM
how about a 300+ hp hybrid AWD speed3. lol...... that will be even better.

mazdas3sporte
10-25-2008, 06:24 PM
when ever there is too much hype about any product , be it a car , cellphone, computer anything , it never is as good as u expected it to be, so dont get ur hops up thats its gonna be direct competitor to Subaru STI... the awd system in the STI is far more advanced then anything mazda could come up with in a short period of time, its like comparing the mercedes 4matic system with the ford awd system

Zoom Zoom Boy
10-25-2008, 10:28 PM
when ever there is too much hype about any product , be it a car , cellphone, computer anything , it never is as good as u expected it to be, so dont get ur hops up thats its gonna be direct competitor to Subaru STI... the awd system in the STI is far more advanced then anything mazda could come up with in a short period of time, its like comparing the mercedes 4matic system with the ford awd system

There was huge hype about the original release of the MS3. I think it turned out just fine...

The MS3 doesn't aspire to compete against the REX STi and never has aspired to compete against it. They are in completely different market niche's and I expect no different from the new version of the MS3. I don't understand why people keep trying to make the comparison in performance terms and think that Mazda should try and make the MS3 stack up against what is a legendary AWD performance car.

mazdas3sporte
10-25-2008, 10:46 PM
thats what Iam saying, STI is in a class of its own, what Iam sayin is that u cant compare the two, hence my two examples above, people expect that the new speed3 is gonna be soo much diffrent then the current one which is not gonna happen, history shows it will most likely be fwd with maybe a 20hp increase over the 09 model year, its not going to go from 260 hp to 350hp if thats what people thinking, I have a mazda tech tell me that which just sounds stupid, ... and this was from a guy that appreantly was working with mazda for 17 years...

alhope34
10-26-2008, 12:54 AM
Why are people saying they would be scared with 300hp at the crank with FWD? Anyone with the current MS3 and has an intake and 3" TBE is making 300 at the crank or a bit more, and even more torque than that. The current MS3 doesn't torque steer. I can put it in 2nd gear around 2000rpm, then bury my foot and it tracks straight with no hands on the wheel. Mazda has done a very good job limiting under steer too, with the boost limiting first and second depending on steering angle. Even with my modded MS3 it's hard to under steer in 2nd, even if I try and force it with DSC off. I'd only be scared if it didn't come with an LSD. No auto manufacturing company in their right mind should put more than 240hp in a FWD car without an LSD. All the power would be wasted.

Mazda3X2
10-30-2008, 07:23 AM
I don't know how your car doesn't torque steer? Mine has no mods and if I push it in 1st or 2nd it can get quite out of hand. If the road has any irregularities, I feel it 10 fold. If I didn't hold the wheel straight it would take me where I don't want to be for sure.

Am I missing something?

alhope34
10-30-2008, 07:29 AM
I don't know how your car doesn't torque steer? Mine has no mods and if I push it in 1st or 2nd it can get quite out of hand. If the road has any irregularities, I feel it 10 fold. If I didn't hold the wheel straight it would take me where I don't want to be for sure.

Am I missing something?

I don't know, I just don't have a problem. My old '94 Probe GT torque steered like crazy, but not the MS3.

Fuman
10-30-2008, 10:37 AM
No auto manufacturing company in their right mind should put more than 240hp in a FWD car without an LSD. All the power would be wasted.
There are a number of companies that does this. Alfa did this and Vauxhall did this. I am sure there are more.

5_Alive
10-30-2008, 09:22 PM
Saab with the Viggen was horrid with torque-steer..

mazdas3sporte
10-31-2008, 04:29 PM
i get torque steer with the normal 2.3 mazda 3 , very noticeable in first gear... i cant imagine the speed 3 having no torque steer

Fuman
10-31-2008, 04:38 PM
i get torque steer with the normal 2.3 mazda 3 , very noticeable in first gear... i cant imagine the speed 3 having no torque steer
I was getting torque steer on my 2.3 mazda 3 until I did an alignment.
The car would go straight unless I gun it off the line. My front right toe was out.

Unoriginalusername
10-31-2008, 04:46 PM

you don't have an lsd, or equal length drive shafts. the 2.3 is not the ms3

Zoom Zoom Boy
10-31-2008, 05:05 PM
you don't have an lsd, or equal length drive shafts. the 2.3 is not the ms3

+1. Or DSC, or a torque management system that helps control the understeer as Allhope noted.

ptfire
10-31-2008, 08:28 PM
I agree a lightly modded MS3 has more HP and Torque than the 2010 MS3 and I don't hear anyone regretting modding their car due to too much power and torque steer.
My last car has tons of torque steer 305whp and 320wtq in a car weighing 2300lbs with no LSD, so I guess compared to that car I can say my MS3 doesn't torque steer. Everything is relative.

Zoom Zoom Boy
10-31-2008, 08:51 PM
I agree a lightly modded MS3 has more HP and Torque than the 2010 MS3 and I don't hear anyone regretting modding their car due to too much power and torque steer.
My last car has tons of torque steer 305whp and 320wtq in a car weighing 2300lbs with no LSD, so I guess compared to that car I can say my MS3 doesn't torque steer. Everything is relative.

Yup, compared to a 125CC shifter kart, the MS3 has absolutely no torque steer whatsoever and is slower than molasses too...

http://img2.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/characters/character0182.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/free-ashamed-smileys.php)

brecker
11-03-2008, 01:27 PM
That corolla is looking nicer every day - I'm tired of this crap. :)

I've now realized a car is supposed to get you around without too many issues, and cost as little as possible.

If anyone is looking to buy an MS3 in the spring - PM me.

mazdas3sporte
11-03-2008, 06:03 PM
u cant compare a corolla to a speed 3 , its a car my grandmother would drive, even the new matrix RS is a lemon, new toyota "sport" cars are all garbage -IMO-, even for mazda I only like the 3 and MS3, Rx8 not soo much, same with honda only the SI and S2000, the base packages can not compare with a 3. I looked around for months before deciding to go with the 3 , if there was a 4200 discount on the speed 3 when I got my 3 i would have jumped on it right away. every car has its issues, the civic si has the 3rd gear pop out which is worse then any problem the 3 has IMO.

RX9
11-03-2008, 09:17 PM
That corolla is looking nicer every day - I'm tired of this crap. :)

I've now realized a car is supposed to get you around without too many issues, and cost as little as possible.

If anyone is looking to buy an MS3 in the spring - PM me.

totally agree with you brecker, long time no see any way.:chuckle i love to drive my wife's van now, so quiet, so relax. i dont need to worry anything else and just driving it around.:)

x_o_k_x
11-03-2008, 09:29 PM
I was looking at new cobalt ss turbo the other day on youtube.. Apparantly it can smoke speed3 with advantage of having no turbo lag..And its not twin turbo, How is it possible?

5_Alive
11-04-2008, 01:47 AM
It weighs around 300lbs. less and has a 5-speed. I'm not going to get into the Cobalt debate again, oh god no.
Just stay away from that thing if you want to stay sane and not want to drive a car and yourself into a pole at 200mph with no seatbelt.

x_o_k_x
11-04-2008, 12:25 PM

x_o_k_x
11-04-2008, 12:27 PM
It weighs around 300lbs. less and has a 5-speed. I'm not going to get into the Cobalt debate again, oh god no.
Just stay away from that thing if you want to stay sane and not want to drive a car and yourself into a pole at 200mph with no seatbelt.

Im not a big fan of GM cars, so it is faster?

silvermist99
11-04-2008, 01:50 PM

yes it is faster. even if cobalt is faster & cheaper, the speed3 is still a performance bargin

chinsterr
11-04-2008, 01:58 PM
While we are on the topic of other cars, the Mitsu Evo X now has 0% financing ....

Aitch
11-04-2008, 02:15 PM
While we are on the topic of other cars, the Mitsu Evo X now has 0% financing ....

What? what about the Ralliart? I've been thinking about it for the next car in a couple of years; the auto shifting manual would be great for my fiancee while I'd still have a nice turbo'd performance car.

swales
11-04-2008, 02:37 PM

Wow what a shock, a car released 2 years later is faster

Fuman
11-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Wow what a shock, a car released 2 years later is faster
A F40 is faster, whats your point?

swales
11-04-2008, 02:51 PM
A F40 is faster, whats your point?

My point is he keeps going on about how the cobalt is faster like it's some kind of miracle...LOL

Fuman
11-04-2008, 02:57 PM
My point is he keeps going on about how the cobalt is faster like it's some kind of miracle...LOL
ahh i see what you mean. I missed his other post

chinsterr
11-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Boys, save your pennies and get a real car .... C350, 335i, G37s (coupe), etc.

It's not all bout the HP/$ ratio.

Turbo econo boxes will always be a market niche that gets highly criticized/mocked/whatever.

***IMO***

Fobio
11-04-2008, 03:22 PM
The Cobalt is great...no doubt about it:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/features_classic_cars/the_lightning_lap_2008_feature+page-2.html

but last I checked, no one bought their daily driver based on lap-times...my MS3 is pushing the envelope of what I would accept as a DD...and yeah, it's a bit harsh and rough, but hey when I'm in boost and on a nice stretch of track, it's the best bargain out there still, considering I can also fit a 47" LCD w BOX in the hatch...

Fuman
11-04-2008, 03:30 PM
considering I can also fit a 47" LCD w BOX in the hatch...
too bad I don't know where you live =p, lol

Fobio
11-04-2008, 03:40 PM
too bad I don't know where you live =p, lol

I can tell you and you can come over...but you drive a sedan...lol...

Fuman
11-04-2008, 03:41 PM
I can tell you and you can come over...but you drive a sedan...lol...
its okay Ming has a hatch, lol
btw give me a call tomorrow, gotta setup DT premeet for the blood donation meet

5_Alive
11-04-2008, 04:44 PM
The Cobalt may be fast, but like Chinsterr said; its not all about hp/$..

As soon as you drive the Cobalt off the lot, its worth nothing. Ask me, really..
I picked up the first 07' to be delivered in Windsor back in September 06'.. they were in transit, it came off the truck at 4am in Chatham (it only had 95km when I picked it up, who else is that close to me), they drove it down at 10am that same day, didn't even PDI it or nothing until it got to Windsor.
I took it in for trade appraisals around town after a couple months, and was getting offers of $15k-$19k tops, being generous from dealers, small lots, etc. The car was valued at $28,100 after tax..
My Speed is still worth $23k to a big box dealer right now.
Value and re-sale also play a big role in buying a car.
Frikkin' rubber-made garbage bin interior.. ahum, I mean.. :chuckle

Zoom Zoom Boy
11-04-2008, 04:51 PM
It weighs around 300lbs. less and has a 5-speed.
I'm not going to get into the Cobalt debate again, oh god no.

Liar, liar, car on fire...http://img2.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/fighting/fighting0070.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/free-animal-smileys.php)

:chuckle

mazdas3sporte
11-04-2008, 06:09 PM
i like the exterior of the new cobalt Supercharged but inside it looks like a ordinary base cobalt, amercian cars are only good from the outside, not considering the power just in terms of looks, even the new ZR1 which is over 100K is garbage inside,

if u want quality + power and u got the money u can go for the C63 . or Brabus bullet , M3,

5_Alive
11-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Liar, liar, car on fire...http://img2.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/fighting/fighting0070.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/free-animal-smileys.php)

:chuckle

LOL leave me alone! :chuckle
I wish that car lit on fire when I had it! lol..

x_o_k_x
11-05-2008, 12:31 AM

umm no.. its a simple yes and no question. Read before you post, clearly says that its a question, not "bragging":loco

swales
11-05-2008, 08:54 AM
umm no.. its a simple yes and no question. Read before you post, clearly says that its a question, not "bragging":loco

Who said anything about bragging???? :loco Here's one of your comments

I was looking at new cobalt ss turbo the other day on youtube.. Apparantly it can smoke speed3 with advantage of having no turbo lag..And its not twin turbo, How is it possible?

It sure sounds like you're confused and can't believe it's faster, which was what my post was about

x_o_k_x
11-05-2008, 12:41 PM
dude, i asked how is it possible for a car not to have turbo lag, not if its faster

Unoriginalusername
11-05-2008, 01:04 PM
dude, i asked how is it possible for a car not to have turbo lag, not if its faster

there are different designs that can reduce lag. The new Mini cooper s is a good example of this system. Its a long complicated answer but there are a few methods.

1) Small turbo, light weight turbine spools pretty fast, runs out of its efficency range in higher rpm. ms3 approach
2) Modern manifold/wg approach to keep the turbo more responsive and effective across the powerband. i.e. the cooper s. many of the newer turbos themselves are twin scroll which try and offer both advantages of a small and a large turbo.
3) ALS sw tuning. anti lag systems are used in racing or deep pocketed enthusiasts. They keep the turbo spooled but greatly reduce the life span of the turbo itself, but they do make a sweet sound and fireball backfires. they could kill your cat, but most people with als don't have the cats anymore anyways

craigrodrigues88
11-05-2008, 01:07 PM
there are different designs that can reduce lag. The new Mini cooper s is a good example of this system. Its a long complicated answer but there are a few methods.

1) Small turbo, light weight turbine spools pretty fast. ms3 approach
2) Modern manifold/wg approach to keep the turbo more responsive and effective across the powerband. i.e. the cooper s. many of the newer turbos themselves are twin scroll which try and offer both advantages of a small and a large turbo.
3) ALS sw tuning. anti lag systems are used in racing or deep pocketed enthusiasts. They keep the turbo spooled but greatly reduce the life span of the turbo itself, but they do make a sweet sound and fireball backfires.

I will take 1 of option 3 :)

Unoriginalusername
11-05-2008, 01:09 PM
I will take 1 of option 3 :)

then you'd like these videos of als systems in action
ALS EVO on the dyno (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXfUbFR-x7g)
ALS Battle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdu76oY8XU0)
WRX Huge fireball ALS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNhTKxwHIDk&feature=related)
Supra ALS luanch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLMqV47ZOV8&feature=related)

swales
11-05-2008, 02:00 PM

Yet you asked again ......I give up :bang

x_o_k_x
11-06-2008, 12:58 AM
Thanks UU and really liking video with Supra launching..