PDA

View Full Version : Hella Horn Installation Guide

yearoftherat
11-08-2008, 07:48 PM
As we all know the stock horn in our car leaves much to be desired. So I decided to purchase a set of Hella Super tones and give the car a much needed boost in the horn department.

Installation of the horns is not really that hard. As long as you plan where you want to install them, take your time, everything will go smooth.

NOTE: This installation was done on a hatch with a CAI. If you have do not have a CAI there is not enough space for the horns with the stock airbox in place.

Materials Needed:

12AWG wire
Male and female connectors - 1 male / 4 female
Ring connectors - 2
Electrical Tape
Wire cutter/ Stripper
Stainless steel bolts - M6 X 20 mm
Stainless steel nylon nut

Prepare the Horns:

You need to make two ground wires. These should be approx 6 inches in length. Strip the ends and attach/crimp the ring connector to one end of each of the wires. On the other end attach a female connector. Use electrical tape and wrap each end once done.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k22/cjlee9/Hella%20install/IMG_0656.jpg

They will be attached to the GOLD terminals

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k22/cjlee9/Hella%20install/IMG_0658.jpg

You will now make the positive wire which will connect the horns to the existing horn wire. You will need 2 wires approx 12 inches in length. Strip the ends of both wires. On one end of each wire attach/crimp a female connector. Wrap with electrical tape
On on the other end you will join both end together and attach a male connector. When you are done you will have a "V" shaped wire set with a male connector at one end and two female connectors at the other end.
These will attach to the remaining connector on the horns.

(Sorry forgot to take a pic)

Remove the front bumper:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k22/cjlee9/Hella%20install/IMG_0662.jpg

I decided to mount the horns in the area where the original were for the following reasons:

1) They are hidden and therefore do not bring attention to themselves: aka stealth mode>.:chuckle
2) By placing them in the area where the original horn was, they are somewhat protected better from mother nature than if I was to install them behind the upper or lower grille.

Installation of the Horns:

1) Disconnect and remove the stock horn and bracket to which it is attached to on the frame.

2) Unbolt the stock horn.

Here comes the fun part.

3) I had decided to drill a 6mm hole in the bracket so I can mount the horns using the brackets. Look at the picture below and you can see where I attached the first horn ( the one facing away from us). The reason I did not use the existing hole from the original horn is that the Hellas are much larger and it would not fit where the CAI shield is OR the factory fogs are.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k22/cjlee9/Hella%20install/IMG_0665.jpg

4)Attach the first horn facing into the engine compartment onto the horn bracket with the hex bolt and nylon nut.

5) Ensure that it is angled enough that it does not hit the left fog housing. This was a trial and error as I had to bolt the bracket in place and attach the front bumper to see if it would clear. Once I found the proper angle, tighten the Hella horn bracket to the stock bracket and put it aside.

6) The second horn (the one facing us) is attached to a threaded part on the frame that already exists. This threaded part was used at one time to attach the stock airbox.
Use the bolt that attached the stock air box to mount the second horn. Ensure that it clears the CAI filter.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k22/cjlee9/Hella%20install/IMG_0666.jpg

7) Now its time to attach the first horn to the frame. Remember the ring connectors that we made and attached to the horns?
Take them insert the stock horn bracket bolt through them BEFORE attaching the bracket to the frame. This will be your grounding point for both horns

8) Now connect the wire with the 2 female/1 male connector to the horns. Wrap electrical tape over the connectors.

9) Insert the male connector to the stock horn connector.

10) Test the horn. If the horns do not work, check your connections.

Once everything is done, reinstall your bumper and you're now set to wake everyone up in the morning when you honk your horn at them :chuckle

Thanks to CWP_Sedan for his help with this installation. :)

NOTE: These instructions are for reference only...I will not be held liable for any problems you have during or after the installation. Use at your own risk.

Donutz
11-08-2008, 10:30 PM
I like your install location. I spent a good 10 minutes yesterday just trying to figure out how to mount them be behind the grill. I should just bite the bullet and take the bumper off.

Nice write up Chris!

Dragazn
11-08-2008, 11:08 PM
I would love to do this myself, but because its getting colder and with time restraints, I'm probably gonna have someone do it for me.

BUMP for a good how-to write up Chris.

Donutz
11-09-2008, 09:16 AM
Did you use the relay? I'm trying to figure out where to mount mine. My choice locations are on the bracket where the stock horn is mounted, or in the batter box.

stormin84
11-09-2008, 09:22 AM
i mounted them behind the mazda emblem and i didn't remove the bumper. i did use the relay...but your way is pretty cool where you mounted them. good job

Donutz
11-09-2008, 09:43 AM
i mounted them behind the mazda emblem and i didn't remove the bumper. i did use the relay...but your way is pretty cool where you mounted them. good job

Where did you mount your relay? I'm wondering if I need to extend the wire from my stock horn to the batter box. If I do, the relay will be installed on the stock horn mounting bracket.

yearoftherat
11-09-2008, 10:20 AM
If you're using the relay, the only wire hooked up to the battery is from the relay

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/dchou7/Stuff/hellawiring.jpg

stormin84
11-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Where did you mount your relay? I'm wondering if I need to extend the wire from my stock horn to the batter box. If I do, the relay will be installed on the stock horn mounting bracket.

i installed the relay on the front of the battery box

mazdathree
11-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Nice write up YOTR!

cwp_sedan
11-09-2008, 03:54 PM
I was actually surprised on how easy it was to install these. Other than a little creative placement for the horns, the install could be done even by a beginner.

Effin Itai
11-10-2008, 09:31 PM
Good job, YOTR!

Donutz
11-23-2008, 09:50 AM
Did anyone bother to weather proof the connections on the back of the horns? I've installed mine behind the grill. While I've taken time to ensure the connections are well covered with electrical tape, I'm not confident that I could wash my car without them getting wet. Anyone have any advice or tips?

stormin84
11-23-2008, 10:06 AM
i just wraped the back of them with electrical tape i'll see after winter how well it holds up

Noisy Crow
11-23-2008, 10:14 AM
Did anyone bother to weather proof the connections on the back of the horns? I've installed mine behind the grill. While I've taken time to ensure the connections are well covered with electrical tape, I'm not confident that I could wash my car without them getting wet. Anyone have any advice or tips?

Once they everything is connected put a tidy blob of outdoor (or marine grade) silocone sealant over the terminals and into the end of the terminals where the wire is inserted. (Also works for under-hood wire-taps: once the wire tap has been attached but before closing the "lid" stick in a blob of silcone.)

Noisy Crow
11-28-2008, 09:57 PM
Hey guys, I want to add a bit of a twist to how the Hellas are connected up: I want to use a relay to switch between the stock horn and the Hellas -- easy enough to do. But... I want the switch to be triggered by a time delay.

The way I am wanting this to work is to have the stock horn sound intitially, and then about .25 to .5 seconds later the output should switch over to the Hellas.

All I really need is a relay with a delayed output. I have found all sorts of circuits, but it seems to be that for such a short delay there must be a simple way to do this with just a capcitor and a few other bits. Even better, if I could buy a time-delay relay for a reasonable price.

So... any suggestions?

Thrizzl3
07-30-2009, 12:41 AM
used this guide to install my hellas. flawless install thanks Chris.

(i know this thread is ancient but it still works).

Nextmod
07-30-2009, 12:50 AM
wow Great guide Chris =)

yearoftherat
07-30-2009, 02:12 PM
used this guide to install my hellas. flawless install thanks Chris.

(i know this thread is ancient but it still works).

Yep..though the 2010's will prb be a whole different story..

wow Great guide Chris =)

Thx !!

JadeButterfly
07-30-2009, 02:31 PM
Yep..though the 2010's will prb be a whole different story..

Nope, this guide works even "better" for the 2010...

So no worries, this guide will be still updated for at least another 5yrs lol.

Thanks again Chris!

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt219/barryau/2010%20Mazda3%20GT-E/P1000547.jpg

Tokic_o
07-30-2009, 02:55 PM
i would think you pay so much for these horns to install em in a location that will be visible outside...

nonetheless, its a very detailed writeup YOTR

FLIPDADY
07-30-2009, 06:53 PM
i would think you pay so much for these horns to install em in a location that will be visible outside...

I was thinking the same thing. Not just for looks but you want the horn to sound forward towards the car in front of you.

Great write up though.

cwp_sedan
07-30-2009, 07:03 PM

Looks aren't everything... :chuckle

I was thinking the same thing. Not just for looks but you want the horn to sound forward towards the car in front of you.

Great write up though.

Have you ever stood in front of Chris's cars and had him honk the horn? It's still extremely loud!

yearoftherat
07-30-2009, 07:25 PM

Nope..removing the front bumper is very easy to do. Beside it looks very clean where they are...no wires and they aren't exposed to the elements like rain,snow and crap.

Nope, this guide works even "better" for the 2010...

So no worries, this guide will be still updated for at least another 5yrs lol.

Thanks again Chris!

Glad it worked out for ya.

Great write up though.

IMHO I don't think it will make much of a difference if its facing front or the side...its still fricken loud!!

mazdathree
07-30-2009, 10:56 PM
I'm also getting a set. I hope I dont make people on the street deaf if I ever have to honk! :chuckle

I havent heard the sound in person but are they extremely loud?

Thrizzl3
07-30-2009, 10:57 PM
I'm also getting a set. I hope I dont make people on the street deaf if I ever have to honk! :chuckle

I havent heard the sound in person but are they extremely loud?

lol i scared alot of people on the street while honking them. they are 118db which is very loud

blackaccord
07-31-2009, 09:11 AM
i wonder how loud the CT ones are.
they said its rated at 128db...but i dont know how accurate their packaging is

Thrizzl3
07-31-2009, 09:17 AM
how deaf do they want ppl to go..118db is good enough for me

Aitch
07-31-2009, 09:51 AM
i wonder how loud the CT ones are.
they said its rated at 128db...but i dont know how accurate their packaging is

Loud enough for me :)

jonjon72
07-31-2009, 10:13 AM
Damn, I am looking forward to getting these installed once I get my car back. Suffering from with withdrawl. :complain

Thrizzl3
07-31-2009, 10:16 AM
Damn, I am looking forward to getting these installed once I get my car back. Suffering from with withdrawl. :complain

jon DIY lol its sooo easy!

yearoftherat
07-31-2009, 10:30 AM
how deaf do they want ppl to go..118db is good enough for me

Its also the tone of the horn that makes a difference too.

jonjon72
07-31-2009, 10:50 AM
jon DIY lol its sooo easy!

Maybe if I had the tools to do the job! :chuckle

Auroraboy
08-28-2009, 07:42 AM
Just picked up my 2010 M3 Sport GT, and I agree that the stock horn is pretty pathetic.

Does one HAVE TO remove the bumper on a 2010, or can the stock horn be easily replaced from undercar access?

What are people's opinions of the Hellas versus stock, after having them for a while?

JadeButterfly
08-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Does one HAVE TO remove the bumper on a 2010, or can the stock horn be easily replaced from undercar access?

What are people's opinions of the Hellas versus stock, after having them for a while?

you can replace it without removing the bumper, but it is a lot easier if the bumper is removed.

bunchi
08-29-2009, 12:08 AM
so I thought I'd change the horns without removing the bumper, don't know where to mount the horns. So I followed YOTR's writeup :) thanks!

is it just me or does anyone feel like the car vibrates with the horns? maybe because it's so close to the bumper? it's so fricken loud! :chuckle first pedestrian crossing the street, walking slowly and talking on the phone will get a 5 second honk from me lol glad it's not the wuzzy stock horns anymore :)

Thrizzl3
08-29-2009, 12:09 AM
so I thought I'd change the horns without removing the bumper, don't know where to mount the horns. So I followed YOTR's writeup :) thanks!

is it just me or does anyone feel like the car vibrates with the horns? maybe because it's so close to the bumper? it's so fricken loud! :chuckle first pedestrian crossing the street, walking slowly and talking on the phone will get a 5 second honk from me lol glad it's not the wuzzy stock horns anymore :)

mine are behind my grille so the sound is projected forward:)

bunchi
08-29-2009, 12:20 AM
how different are the area behind the grill between hatches and sedans? i wanted to mount them behind the grill but didn't want to drill new holes

Thrizzl3
08-29-2009, 12:22 AM
i drilled holes in the plastic to mount the horns then bolted them into place. its a nice tight fit and the wiring is hidden behind the bumper

bunchi
08-29-2009, 12:29 AM
yeah thought of that... maybe next time if I feel like moving them, thats what i'll do... remove bumper again... rewire.... bah!

Thrizzl3
08-29-2009, 12:31 AM
yeah thought of that... maybe next time if I feel like moving them, thats what i'll do... remove bumper again... rewire.... bah!

max install time 45mins lol

Donutz
08-29-2009, 09:53 AM
how different are the area behind the grill between hatches and sedans? i wanted to mount them behind the grill but didn't want to drill new holes

Drop by my place and I'll drill the holes for you! Actually if you want to see a front mount forward facing setup I can show you mine.

bunchi
08-30-2009, 09:33 AM
Drop by my place and I'll drill the holes for you! Actually if you want to see a front mount forward facing setup I can show you mine.

lol hurts less if m not the one drilling and me not looking :chuckle actually i would reallly appreciate a pic of ur set up, front pic and where you drilled :) did u drill on the plastic or metal? thanks Jason :)

Donutz
08-30-2009, 10:49 AM
Here you go! You can see the bolt better on the drivers side horn. I just drilled through the rad support.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t32/sagexp/Mobile%20Uploads/1251643460-1.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t32/sagexp/Mobile%20Uploads/1251643434.jpg

bunchi
08-30-2009, 01:48 PM
Here you go! You can see the bolt better on the drivers side horn. I just drilled through the rad support.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t32/sagexp/Mobile%20Uploads/1251643460-1.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t32/sagexp/Mobile%20Uploads/1251643434.jpg

Thanks!! what kind of bolt is that? self tapping?

Donutz
08-30-2009, 03:10 PM
Nah, it's just a regular bolt. I don't remember how long it was, I just measured the rad support and estimated the length I thought I'd need. I bought the nut that has a nylon insert to prevent it from backing out though.

dsichewski
08-30-2009, 06:11 PM
Hey guys, So I'm installing mine and I'm just wondering...can I take the ground from my relay and run the wire to the ground spot where the horn ground is on the mounting bracket? I'd prefer to have 3 wires running down to the horns in a harness protector rather than have the ground wire run up top of the battery box to the frame ground on the side. I'm thinking there shouldn't be a problem but just wanted to double check.
Thanks
David

dsichewski
08-30-2009, 09:35 PM
So I just got inside from installing my hella horns and I have a bit of a problem....I followed the diagram and i hooked everything up and as soon as i put my bat - cable on the post the horn sounds....I had hooked my ground from the relay to the hella horn ground bolt. So I disconnected that wire and ran a new ground wire from the relay to the - ground cable that goes to the frame. put the - cable to the post on the battery and the horn goes off. saw on the diagram that the ground on the horn was the silver and the positive was the gold. so switched the connectors at the horns....connect - cable to post and horn sounds...

So where have I gone wrong??? Can anyone please offer some help...

Thrizzl3
08-30-2009, 09:38 PM
hmm jason would know. i hooked mine up to the stock horn connector. the relay isnt really necessary

Donutz
08-30-2009, 10:11 PM
So where have I gone wrong??? Can anyone please offer some help...

85 to ground
86 to stock horn wire
30 to (+) on the battery
87 to the horns (same posts on both horns)
other post on horns to ground

Are you sure that everything is wired to the correct posts on the relay? Also, when you wired the horns, are you sure that you connected 87 on the relay to the post on the same side of both horns?

*EDIT* I just read this again. Did you run the ground from the relay to the horns?

I had hooked my ground from the relay to the hella horn ground bolt. So I disconnected that wire and ran a new ground wire from the relay to the - ground cable that goes to the frame. put the - cable to the post on the battery and the horn goes off.

*EDIT (again)* I just ran out to double check my setup. I ran 85 to the stock ground location. I ran a ground wire from my horns to the passenger side shock tower (you could ground it anywhere). Did you ground your horns to post 85?

stormin84
08-30-2009, 10:11 PM
David if you want message me and tomorrow night....i can swing by and you could look at how i did mine....

dsichewski
08-30-2009, 10:46 PM
85 to ground
86 to stock horn wire
30 to (+) on the battery

Are you sure that everything is wired to the correct posts on the relay? Also, when you wired the horns, are you sure that you connected 87 on the relay to the post on the same side of both horns?

As far as I know/ can tell at the moment I ran everything you listed to those locations...I'm going to rip it all apart tomorow and see if my 86 and 87 wires got mixed up....I did put the wire to the same connectors on the horns....first time round was power to silver, second time I ran power to gold.

*EDIT* I just read this again. Did you run the ground from the relay to the horns?

*EDIT (again)* I just ran out to double check my setup. I ran 85 to the stock ground location. I ran a ground wire from my horns to the passenger side shock tower (you could ground it anywhere). Did you ground your horns to post 85?

I first ran my ground wire from post 85 all the way down to the horns and connected it to the bolt that the ground wires from the horns attach to. the second time disconnected the ground wire to that bolt and then I ran a new ground wire from post 85 and ran it to the small - bat cable that runs to the frame beside the strut tower at the side of the car. both times horns still sounded

David if you want message me and tomorrow night....i can swing by and you could look at how i did mine....

Thanks Kyle...I will try and work on this tomorow during the morning and will message you if I still can't get it...

bunchi
08-30-2009, 11:36 PM
yah just check your relay if you connected the cables to the right posts. as for the horns, gold is negative, silver is power.

@Jason - thanks for the bolt and nut info... I think I'll relocate mine.. but not now, it's working ok, just some vibrations felt when honking :chuckle bingbing!

dsichewski
08-31-2009, 11:32 AM
85 to ground
86 to stock horn wire
30 to (+) on the battery

so i just ripped my wiring apart this morning and checked everything and i have everything wired like how you listed above...

85 to ground
86 to stock horn wire
30 to (+) on the battery

no I didn't ground the horns to post 85....I have 85 going to the batt - cable that goes to the frame, and I have the 2 6 inch wires that was in the install that go from both horns to the stock horn mounting bolt for ground...

The only 2 things I can think of are the the relay is fubared inside and is allowing voltage through instantly instead of needing to be switch on or the mazda remote car starter is somehow playing a role in this and i don't even know how it would...

dsichewski
08-31-2009, 09:38 PM
Ok So Kyle was nice enough to come over tonight and we compared my wiring hook up to his set up on the speed. My wiring was correct. We tried switching the wires at the back of the horns. same problem, we tried changing the grounding location of the horns from the bracket to a ground cable under the light housing. same problem, swaped wires back to reg position on the rear of the horns and same problem, disconnected the wiring for the relay and connected the horns straight to the stock wire same problem, reversed wiring on the back of the horns and same problem

Basically I've come to the conclusion that it has to be something to do with the mazda car remote starter and alarm I have on the car....I don't know why or how but that's the only thing I could think it would be since its the only thing electrical that I've changed on the car......Not sure where to go from here...

Donutz
08-31-2009, 09:57 PM
Last thing I would try is to swap out the relay to a new one (or maybe someone would let you experiement with theirs). I may have a spare in the garage; when I have a sec I'll go take a look.

If all else fails you could try skipping the relay all together and wire the horns like YOTR and Phil did.

dsichewski
08-31-2009, 10:08 PM
Last thing I would try is to swap out the relay to a new one (or maybe someone would let you experiement with theirs). I may have a spare in the garage; when I have a sec I'll go take a look.

If all else fails you could try skipping the relay all together and wire the horns like YOTR and Phil did.

I bypassed the relay completly and still have the same problem....I ran the stock wire to the horns directly and horns to ground and as soon as i put the neg cable to the battery it goes off....It's really turning into a stumper....

I am going to try and run only one of the hella horns tomorrow and see if that will work....if not then i think I'm sol for running these. lol

Donutz
08-31-2009, 10:29 PM
Try hooking up your stock horn again and see if it still goes off. I wonder if something was shorted.

dsichewski
08-31-2009, 10:40 PM
Try hooking up your stock horn again and see if it still goes off. I wonder if something was shorted.

shorted where in the horns themselves?

Thanks for all the suggestions and help by the way :)

jonjon72
08-31-2009, 11:19 PM
Here are a couple of pics of my install done at street performance.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/jonjon72/IMG_3831.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/jonjon72/IMG_3832.jpg

stormin84
09-01-2009, 05:53 AM
David try and hook up the horns with the bumper on (not having at sensor on an angle) that maybe the problem....just throwing out ideas

MRT_MS3
09-01-2009, 08:32 AM
Just make sure you use the relay that is included on this kit. Running the power directly through the stocks horn trigger wire can melt the wire and cause fire. These horns needs a lot of power that is why you require a 12ga wire and it needs to feed off the battery (also make sure that is fused with a 20AMP fuse). Theres no sense of you using 12ga and tapping it to a 18ga wire. USE THE RELAY !!

dsichewski
09-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Well everyone get the flaming hats on cause I'm gonna deserve it...

When I put everything back to stock this morning and reconnected my neg cable on the battery the alarm went off...this is when I realized that when the neg cable gets disconnected the alarm comes on so no one can steel the car....So I hooked the hella horns back up and used the fob to shut the alarm off and now everything works fine...

Accepting flames and burns now. lol

bunchi
09-01-2009, 02:19 PM
nah.. not gonna flame you... it's actually a good piece of info to share :) I would back off myself and disconnect whatever cable I just connected right away when I hear the horn going off in that situation. is it an aftermarket alarm? haven't heard about that from anyone who disconnects the neg cable. glad you had this sorted out :) now go out and start honking at people! :chuckle

dsichewski
09-01-2009, 02:35 PM
nah.. not gonna flame you... it's actually a good piece of info to share :) I would back off myself and disconnect whatever cable I just connected right away when I hear the horn going off in that situation. is it an aftermarket alarm? haven't heard about that from anyone who disconnects the neg cable. glad you had this sorted out :) now go out and start honking at people! :chuckle

I have the gt model so it comes with the alarm and then I also have the mazda car remote starter which was installed by MOT because of the amount of work that is involved....I've never had the neg cable off before as I've had no reason too so that's why it took me hooking up the stock horn again to figure it out!

Donutz
09-01-2009, 07:23 PM
* Gets out blow torch*

Jk. I'm glad you figured it out. Enjoy your new found honking power! HONK HONK!

JovianGhost
10-25-2009, 01:01 PM
Very nice write-up!

I plan to do the same on my car, I just hope I don't have to pull off the bumper. jonjon72's setup seems like the best, I'm gonna try going for that.

Although I plan to get the [ulr=http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444245 7759&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672431&bmUID=1256439336843]El Grande horns from CT[/url] as they seem to have gotten pretty favourable reviews on these forums.

But should I keep the stock horn and supplement it with these, or remove it completely and just use the El Grandes?

JovianGhost
10-25-2009, 01:02 PM
Gah, URL tags have failed me!
Here's the proper link:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444245 7759&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672431&bmUID=1256439336843

Thrizzl3
10-25-2009, 02:09 PM
just get hellas man..they are so much better

JovianGhost
10-31-2009, 12:12 PM
just get hellas man..they are so much better

I don't wanna be one of "those guys" with the excessively loud horn that just annoys people. I know I would hate it if someone behind me was blaring their incredibly loud horn.

I don't even know how loud these Hellas are, but based on what everyone's saying, they are loud enough to wake the dead.

Donutz
10-31-2009, 12:28 PM
I don't wanna be one of "those guys" with the excessively loud horn that just annoys people. I know I would hate it if someone behind me was blaring their incredibly loud horn.

How frequently are you using your horn, or how long are you leaning on it? :chuckle

For me, the horn is a safety feature. Last fall some @ss was backing out of a spot at Timmies. I was blaring my (wimpy stock) horn at the guy the whole time but he didn't stop, and bam, he plowed into me. After that incident I decided I needed a more noticable horn.

I'm aware that it's loud so I only use it when I need to.

gibbons3
11-03-2009, 10:53 PM
im thinking of installing these and im stuck on weither to use the relay or not,

according to some reaserch i did i probly should be using the relay because the horns are rated at 72 watts each making a total of 144 watts, watts/volts= amps so 144/12= 12 amps, the stock wire that goes to the horn is 18 gauge and is rated at a maximum amperage of 10 amps with a safe working load of 8 amp (80% rule), it oviously works but its over the safe working looad of the stock wire, if ive read something wrong and these horns operate at 72watts total together then in theory it would work fine,

does this make sense? if so i guess i should go with the relay?

Thrizzl3
11-03-2009, 10:54 PM
i didn't use a relay..just connected them to the stock horn connector.

gibbons3
11-03-2009, 11:04 PM
ya thats what i was thinking of doing but i was wondering if its drawing to much amperage through the stock wire

Thrizzl3
11-03-2009, 11:07 PM
why would it..its not like your driving and honking your horn at the same time lol..only one or two toots and you scare shit outta the other drivers.:chuckle

gibbons3
11-03-2009, 11:13 PM
ya thats true, if its been fine for so many people im sure im sure it willl be ok, i dont think ill use the relay

gibbons3
11-04-2009, 07:15 PM
just installed them without the relay and they work great! thanks YOTR:)

mazdaskit
11-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Where did everyone put them on there 3 whats the best placement ??

ST3ALTH
11-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Yea, i want to see how people mount them in the lower grill, i like that look a lot and its what im going to be doing in the spring, if anyone has any how to's that would be great!!!

Donutz
11-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Behind the upper grill.

yearoftherat
11-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Yea, i want to see how people mount them in the lower grill, i like that look a lot and its what im going to be doing in the spring, if anyone has any how to's that would be great!!!

There are a few members on the MZ3 forum that mounted them behind the lower grill.
You will have to remove the bumper and remove the foam to install the brackets to the metal reinforcement.
They look nice but will be more susceptible to the elements : ie rain, snow and salt spray from vehicles in front of you in the winter.
The upper front grille is easier too but same issues as above. That's why I took the extra time and effort and installed it behind the bumper.

stormin84
11-05-2009, 08:06 PM
Behind the upper grill.

+1
there is not a lot room there since i have a MS3

gibbons3
11-05-2009, 10:08 PM
i put them behind the upper grill, i just finished putting dielectric grease on all the connections hoping it will make them all a bit more weather proof

Donutz
11-05-2009, 10:31 PM
i put them behind the upper grill, i just finished putting dielectric grease on all the connections hoping it will make them all a bit more weather proof

Use marine grade silicone on the connections on the back of the horns, then wrap them with electrical tape.

gibbons3
11-05-2009, 10:35 PM
ya i was thinking of doing that but i happened to have the grease at home and figured it would work, ill see how they hold up then use the marine silicone if need be

Noisy Crow
11-05-2009, 10:48 PM
I am going to put mine inside the passenger compartment, out of the weather :chuckle

Those of you who have done this that have the temperature sensor attached to the bumper: I need help with the sensor connector so the bumper can be removed. I can't see which part of the connector to press to unlatch it, so I have to unlatch it by feel, and I think road grit is not helping matters as nothing seems to move.

yearoftherat
11-06-2009, 08:51 AM
I am going to put mine inside the passenger compartment, out of the weather :chuckle

Those of you who have done this that have the temperature sensor attached to the bumper: I need help with the sensor connector so the bumper can be removed. I can't see which part of the connector to press to unlatch it, so I have to unlatch it by feel, and I think road grit is not helping matters as nothing seems to move.

Rick,
Did you mean the driver side? In regards to the sensor, I didn't have to disconnect the temperature sensor. I put a small box underneath the front bumper so that it the bumper would sit flat on the ground.

koorick
11-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Nice thread, this is probably one of the must-have for my new car (i'm thinking doing the HID fog light at the same time since I will have to take the bumper off anyway)

The stock horn is a toy , I literally laughed out when I used mine for the first time.

srbin
11-10-2009, 08:49 PM
I'm so up for this upgrade as I'm sick of my girly horn...
just have to decide between hella and mazda6 horn... :)

gibbons3
11-10-2009, 09:36 PM
hella ftw :winner

srbin
11-11-2009, 12:18 PM
hella ftw :winner

i like the sound of mazda6 horn better but I'm prolly gonna go with hella for the looks... :) i can't seem to find any video clips of mz6 horn...hmmm