PDA

View Full Version : Removing the steering wheel

froggy
01-22-2009, 01:10 PM
My new Mazda is my first car (that I care about improving) that has an airbag in the steering wheel. I'm going to get the steering wheel wrapped, don't feel like paying $500 + install for the mazda sport one. Although it is a nice one. To that I'd like to know if anyone knows how to remove the centre cap off the hub? Thank you all.

ismail_alikhan
01-25-2009, 10:56 PM
where r u getting it wrapped?

froggy
01-25-2009, 11:16 PM
There's this guy that has a furniture upholstery store up the street from me but I need to get the wheel off so he can make a template. Either that or i'll try to find one from a junkyard, does anyone know how far back that steering wheel style/size goes back on the mazda 3? is it all the way back to 04 or even farther back to when they were still protege?

Mundek
10-30-2009, 01:11 AM
Hey Froggy,
Have you wrapped your st. wheel rim yet? I've been looking for a shop like real hard and so far found this place in Dallas of all the places.
http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com/

They claim 3 days turn around, $30 shipping and $240 for the service.

Local shop would be nice and possibly cheaper.

bubba1983
10-30-2009, 09:16 AM
2 bolts on either side of the steering wheel cover...(there are caps covering them., one connector for the airbag module, that pops out, then u need a steering wheel puller to remove the steering wheel

stevenma188
10-30-2009, 09:24 AM
You do not need a Steering wheel puller to remove the wheel. Just undo the bolts at the side of the steering wheel, then pull out the airbag. The steering wheel is held on by 1 large bolt. After you undo that, it just pulls out. Make sure you are careful about the airbag.

I swapped my steering wheel when I put in cruise control on my car.

I followed the instructions here: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=45816.0

bubba1983
10-30-2009, 09:40 AM
weird, stering wheels are usually press fit...go figure

froggy
10-30-2009, 09:49 AM
You do not need a Steering wheel puller to remove the wheel. Just undo the bolts at the side of the steering wheel, then pull out the airbag. The steering wheel is held on by 1 large bolt. After you undo that, it just pulls out. Make sure you are careful about the airbag.

I swapped my steering wheel when I put in cruise control on my car.

I followed the instructions here: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=45816.0

Thanks that was just the kind of information that I was looking for, Mundek unfortunately I don't know what it would cost but it would be a lot less than that I"m sure. Also since I've only gotten an answer to this question now that winter is almost here and i'm working everyday, and it's to cold for me to take my motorcycle I'll have to wait until the spring, to try it. The place where I'm getting it done is actually a furniture re-upholsterer, but once he has the template from my doing my steering wheel, depending on how busy he is at the time it shouldn't take more than a couple of days

Mundek
10-30-2009, 10:15 AM
Ok, thanks. Keep me posted please. I intend on keeping the car for a few yrs and on my "to do" list the leather st. wheel wrap is quite high. After all this is one part of the car we interact the most. And I truly don't like the plastic rim.

jurgenk
10-30-2009, 03:10 PM
There's this guy that has a furniture upholstery store up the street from me but I need to get the wheel off so he can make a template. Either that or i'll try to find one from a junkyard, does anyone know how far back that steering wheel style/size goes back on the mazda 3? is it all the way back to 04 or even farther back to when they were still protege?

froggy, I did the mentioned cruise control addition to my 08.5 GX Hatch (using the instructions linked to) and I have a spare steering wheel without controls if you are interested. $20 + shipping to you but as I am in BC it might be expensive. I was charged $100 for a wheel and controls from a junkyard and from what I can gather, the steering wheels are the same from 04-09 (do not know about previous to that).

Brad

stevenma188
10-30-2009, 04:13 PM
Ya if you want, you can buy my steering wheel too, off an 05 Sport. I'm in London, ON, but can probably meet up with you in Toronto or something.

froggy
10-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Ya if you want, you can buy my steering wheel too, off an 05 Sport. I'm in London, ON, but can probably meet up with you in Toronto or something.

froggy, I did the mentioned cruise control addition to my 08.5 GX Hatch (using the instructions linked to) and I have a spare steering wheel without controls if you are interested. $20 + shipping to you but as I am in BC it might be expensive. I was charged $100 for a wheel and controls from a junkyard and from what I can gather, the steering wheels are the same from 04-09 (do not know about previous to that).

Brad

Thanks guys I'm not in a rush for this, it is something i'd like to get done but it's not the end of the world if it doesn't happen now. besides what would I do with 2 steering wheels?

stevenma188
10-30-2009, 09:04 PM
...besides what would I do with 2 steering wheels?
You tell me, I have no idea what to do with my old one.

froggy
10-30-2009, 11:11 PM
hang it up on the wall? or use it as the steering wheel for a go kart? Wrap it in L.E.D strips and use it as a chandelier?

Mundek
10-30-2009, 11:17 PM
mount it in the crapper so u can hold on to it when nature calls :)

Thrizzl3
10-30-2009, 11:18 PM
hang it up on the wall? or use it as the steering wheel for a go kart? Wrap it in L.E.D strips and use it as a chandelier?

wtf..how rice are you lol?

Mundek
10-30-2009, 11:29 PM
I swear that's all I could think of :)
Plus my post count goes up

Mundek
10-30-2009, 11:30 PM
Geez, now what da |? ,...

froggy
10-30-2009, 11:40 PM

sometimes i wonder myself, I must be watching too much anime, I think i'm turning Japanese

stevenma188
10-31-2009, 08:18 AM

LOL...well my car does have a sticker on it that says "Got Rice?". Currently my wheel is just hanging from my thermostat in my room. I also screwed my stock shifter into my door and am using it as a towel hanger. I wanna turn my wheel into something more than just decoration. Also, any ideas for the stock airbox?

froggy
10-31-2009, 10:54 AM
LOL...well my car does have a sticker on it that says "Got Rice?". Currently my wheel is just hanging from my thermostat in my room. I also screwed my stock shifter into my door and am using it as a towel hanger. I wanna turn my wheel into something more than just decoration. Also, any ideas for the stock airbox?

do you want to go full on rice for your airbox? Then let me suggest turning it into a flower pot and using it to grow a bonsai tree in it.

If you want to something useful for your steering wheel get an old coat rack attach the 2 together and viola you have a tie rack!

Hey cut me some slack here at least I'm trying

stevenma188
10-31-2009, 11:09 AM
HAHA! flower pot air box I LIKE!

DeadB2000
11-05-2009, 11:06 AM
One thing Froggy, when you are taking your wheel off next spring, unhook the battery. You don't need a face full of airbag if you happen to get some kind of freaky short or surge.

Mount your spare wheel on the glove box door so if you have a really stupid passenger some time, they can think they are driving too.:loco

froggy
11-05-2009, 12:40 PM
One thing Froggy, when you are taking your wheel off next spring, unhook the battery. You don't need a face full of airbag if you happen to get some kind of freaky short or surge.

Mount your spare wheel on the glove box door so if you have a really stupid passenger some time, they can think they are driving too.:loco

yeah electical issues always mean unhook battery, i'm just worried about damaging it during removal, plugging it back in re hooking up the battery and then having it explode