PDA

View Full Version : Need Brakes; Help?

5_Alive
02-19-2009, 08:28 PM
Okay, so little Yoshi has 49,700km on her now and is in need of some new brake pads. I don't think the rotors need to be changed as they still seem to have a lot of meat on them and haven't been ground in at all, but the pads are pretty much almost done, around 20% life I'm going to say is left.
The rears are still great, not much wear at all.

Now I'm trying to find a good set of pads, and I am trying to find out which pad is best to use with the factory rotors.
Anyone have any advice? I spoke to a parts place in the US, and they can get me pads for $62US, the guy said they are a really decent brand, they have always dealt with the company and are better than the OEM ones. I forget the brand anyhow.
I also want a pad that isn't going to dust my wheels to hell and back after a one-hour drive.
I also don't mind buying from any of the vendors on the site if someone can provide me with a good price on a good product.
07' Speed3, front pads.
Moe

Fuman
02-19-2009, 11:08 PM
I don't think the rotors need to be changed as they still seem to have a lot of meat on them
huh?

ptfire
02-19-2009, 11:27 PM
Just buy stock oem pads. A stock MS3 is one of the best braking cars out there.

MRT_MS3
02-20-2009, 12:03 AM
huh?

meat = rotors still thick

Fuman
02-20-2009, 12:18 AM
meat = rotors still thick
rotor thickness shouldn't change noticeably.

Fobio
02-20-2009, 12:18 AM
Hawk HPS or ceramic pads will do...OEM pads are not bad, but tight-track work will really strain them on a hot day. hawk pads are about 30% cheaper than OEM, but will be noisier than oem...HPS Hawk are almost bullet-proof for most track work tho. pat's the man to talk to about those.

I'd be up for other options other than hawk tho...carbotech or ferodo? also, lemme know if you can find endless pads...

btw, OEM rotors from MOT are SURPRISINGLY inexpensive. I would not hesitate to just swap out for new rotors while I'm at it...

Fuman
02-20-2009, 12:23 AM
Hawk HPS or ceramic pads will do...OEM pads are not bad, but tight-track work will really strain them on a hot day. hawk pads are about 30% cheaper than OEM, but will be noisier than oem...HPS Hawk are almost bullet-proof for most track work tho. pat's the man to talk to about those.

I'd be up for other options other than hawk tho...carbotech or ferodo? also, lemme know if you can find endless pads...

btw, OEM rotors from MOT are SURPRISINGLY inexpensive. I would not hesitate to just swap out for new rotors while I'm at it...
Ferodo's are awesome on the C230!

5_Alive
02-20-2009, 04:57 AM
I wont be doing any kind of track except 1/4 mile. The OEM ones are great, its just that they dust so darn much.
My dealer here quoted me $188 list, selling to me for $155, I wtf'd that price as I've seen Hawk pads (forget which ones) online for as cheap as $70 and the HPS' around the $100 mark. The rotors I'm not too worried about because my next set of brakes I'll be doing front/rear all together.
I'll be contacting Pat in the next few weeks for some pricing; thanks guys!

SKYMP3
08-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Revivng this thread, so which pads you end up getting? I don't want a noisy one as my car is mostly a DD and track 1 or twice per yr MAX.

horto
08-03-2010, 05:38 PM
i run hawk ceramics... they're not bad... not that much of an improvement over OEM tho

SKYMP3
08-03-2010, 06:59 PM
^
Any squeezing noise? I used ceramic pads before and it noisy like bitxh...(not on the MS3)

horto
08-03-2010, 08:22 PM
no noise at all. brake dust is still annoying tho =) (they claim to be less dusty than OEMs... I personally disagree)

you're welcome to check mine out at track day this weekend, if you're coming

SKYMP3
08-03-2010, 09:15 PM
I already tracked last Saturday, that's why I'm looking for brake pads, lol

SKYMP3
08-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Anyone using HPS with stock rotors, I heard that it may squeeze with stock rotors.

MajesticBlueNTO
08-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Anyone using HPS with stock rotors, I heard that it may squeeze with stock rotors.

i'm using HPS with stock rotors...everything ok so far