PDA

View Full Version : this is what i call a real autox course

silvermist99
03-01-2009, 12:56 AM
i'm in miami now and drove by this... damn

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3325/3318520378_282e63b36e_b.jpg

If I am to guess, it appears 3x the size of hada. Also their cones are a lot taller then the ones here, its much easier to see when driving by... even in my suv :bang

The event organizers here should try and find bigger lots

JohnyGT
03-01-2009, 01:50 AM
i'm in miami now and drove by this... damn

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3325/3318520378_282e63b36e_b.jpg

If I am to guess, it appears 3x the size of hada. Also their cones are a lot taller then the ones here, its much easier to see when driving by... even in my suv :bang

that looks like so much fun to do!

Marsh
03-01-2009, 04:54 PM

That's kind of like saying "Poor people should try and find better jobs".

You have no idea how hard it is to get a lot. For one thing gigantic parking lots like you find all over the US simply don't exist here. The big lots that we have are always full of cars because we have sunday shopping. In any place where a person can drive by there will be noise complaints and calls to the police about "street racers". And that's not even beginning to consider the insurance paranoia that all property owners have and the fact that Toronto is the only population base in the country that can draw the attendance to afford a rental fee that owner don't laugh at.

condor888000
03-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Come to Ottawa, last year our shortest course was 55 seconds and our longest was 85....

Fobio
03-01-2009, 10:37 PM

You have no idea how hard it is to get a lot. For one thing gigantic parking lots like you find all over the US simply don't exist here. The big lots that we have are always full of cars because we have sunday shopping. In any place where a person can drive by there will be noise complaints and calls to the police about "street racers". And that's not even beginning to consider the insurance paranoia that all property owners have and the fact that Toronto is the only population base in the country that can draw the attendance to afford a rental fee that owner don't laugh at.

Having chatted with silvermist99, he told me this isn't a parking lot, but more like a permanent AutoX course that's reconfigurable. Plus, silvermist99 also specifically mentioned about TALLER cones...and how they are easier to see than the HADA ones...which I think would be reasonable...

But Marsh does have a point...in the US, there are lotsa county's that have NO SUNDAY shopping, which makes setting up AutoX courses easier.

Gizzmo_jr
03-01-2009, 10:43 PM
My local club goes to Picton, decommissioned airport FTW!

towelsnap
03-02-2009, 02:20 AM

I'll come out this year :)

mleblond
03-02-2009, 09:46 AM

Shhhh Matt! it's a secret location. :chuckle

But I agree, MCo has it good :)

condor888000
03-02-2009, 01:09 PM
You should come up and give it a shot at our lot some time. I should be down to St Lac once or twice this year, more seat time and all. Can't wait for the snow to go...

Marsh
03-04-2009, 04:16 AM
I've been to Ottawa several times. Very fortunate club. Back when I was a rookie MCO would run two courses and everybody got 4 or more runs on EACH course with your combined best time determining the winner.

Picton is the promissed land. Last year at the provincial I was doing 140km/h, or more, in a friends MS Miata at two different places on the course. It was insane. I already told the organizers that I won't permit a course that fast again this year. Way too many close calls with the dirt.
Here's a blooper real from Sat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c45e14lgneQ&feature=channel_page

Marsh
03-04-2009, 04:20 AM
Ah, and I'm in the red miata and the slalom where both the mini and I lost it the speed is around 110km/h. The next day I was hitting 140 or so near the end of that slalom going the other direction.

Fobio
03-04-2009, 08:58 AM
from your video, it looks more like a really long slalom rather than a "course"...considering what HADA deals with at the Powerade Centre (smaller lot, light poles, curbing, etc), it does a pretty good job of keeping it interesting. Besides, where else will you find elevation change in other AutoX courses...lol...

It would be nice if we can do them at the Allen/Dufferin Airbase in Toronto...

Marsh
03-04-2009, 11:39 PM
That's the nature of airfield courses. They tend to out-and-back slalom affairs. HADA courses are pretty typical of parking lot courses. In Sarnia you'd find our courses are similar, but larger and a little faster.

silvermist99
03-08-2009, 10:15 PM

You have no idea how hard it is to get a lot. no I do not but I do know what I & others would like to run on. As Fobio said, this place I drove by is dedicated to auto x , the cones stays there and doesn't leave. It is about 10-15min drive to downtown Miami, IE the equivalent of Scarborough/North York to Toronto... =/ Canadian winter does make this diffcult since the course cannot be open year round.

Gizzmo_jr, how far is Picton from Toronto? sounds interesting!

condor888000
03-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Picton's about halfway between Ottawa and Toronto, so figure 2-2.5 hours.

Youngun
04-02-2009, 02:31 AM
Thats not an autox course....this is an autox course http://www.vimeo.com/3935967
Taken two weeks ago at El Toro Pro Solo in San Diego CA

wikdslo
04-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Thats not an autox course....this is an autox course http://www.vimeo.com/3935967
Taken two weeks ago at El Toro Pro Solo in San Diego CA

Looks pretty good!
I'm a big fan of how the CASC-OR Autoslalom has taken to larger, faster tracks in the last couple of seasons.

The Picton event is always a hoot, faster speeds, longer tracks, more run time!

2hit6
04-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Anyone in the forum thinking of organizing a track day at Picton? I know many of the members would be interested.