PDA

View Full Version : headlight issue and buzzing sound

stas
03-03-2009, 01:23 PM
need some opinions, i dont have HIDs, its a 2006 gt sedan, havent been to the dealer yet, car is parked in a garage, no accidents,

1. so in the fall my right headlight burned out, but then after nudging the harness it started working, so after a couple of days of constantly moving the harness i gave up and changed the bulb, couple of days ago same issue with the new bulb (about 3months after i changed the first one)

2. sometimes when i turn off the car i hear buzzing coming from under the hood, no clue what it is

3. hopefully this thread will finally get me to 1000posts :chuckle

so any clue of what it is? electrical issue, if so what could it be and why?

mazda lover
03-11-2009, 08:33 PM
need some opinions, i dont have HIDs, its a 2006 gt sedan, havent been to the dealer yet, car is parked in a garage, no accidents,

1. so in the fall my right headlight burned out, but then after nudging the harness it started working, so after a couple of days of constantly moving the harness i gave up and changed the bulb, couple of days ago same issue with the new bulb (about 3months after i changed the first one)

2. sometimes when i turn off the car i hear buzzing coming from under the hood, no clue what it is

3. hopefully this thread will finally get me to 1000posts :chuckle

so any clue of what it is? electrical issue, if so what could it be and why?

Can't believe no one has chimed in yet, I have no clue

Malcolm991
03-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Perhaps it's your fan still cooling the engine. When you installed the new head light bulb, did you happen to touch the bulb itself? If so that's more then likely the reason it's burnt out again so quick. Take it back, it's probably covered by the the store you purchased it from!

stas
03-11-2009, 10:28 PM
Perhaps it's your fan still cooling the engine. When you installed the new head light bulb, did you happen to touch the bulb itself? If so that's more then likely the reason it's burnt out again so quick. Take it back, it's probably covered by the the store you purchased it from!

for a week its been working fine, but tonight it stopped working again, then i slightly toughed the harness and it started working lol...WTF, its been like this for nearly 6 months

i'm sure if i go to mazda they'll tell me sometihng is worn out and i have to replace the wiring...

Gizzmo_jr
03-11-2009, 11:40 PM
I believe it has something to do with the fuel pressure system. It does a check after the system is off, then the noise at the end is a pressure purge valve.

xxSlidewaysxx
03-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Please describe the buzzing....high/low pitch?, does it sound like arcing, if you hear it at night open the hood and look for arcing?

stas
03-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Please describe the buzzing....high/low pitch?, does it sound like arcing, if you hear it at night open the hood and look for arcing?

its a high pitch sound, never checked for arcing, comes from the same side as the bulb issue. sound lasts for about 3-5 seconds after i turn off the car, was never able to open the hood in time before the sound disappears

mazda lover
03-12-2009, 08:07 PM
its a high pitch sound, never checked for arcing, comes from the same side as the bulb issue. sound lasts for about 3-5 seconds after i turn off the car, was never able to open the hood in time before the sound disappears

open the hood before you turn the engine off, or have someone turn it off as you listen for the buzzing sound,,

Flagrum_3
03-13-2009, 05:28 AM
open the hood before you turn the engine off, or have someone turn it off as you listen for the buzzing sound,,

+1,

Hey Stas, I'll speculate that it is probably a wiring issue at the light socket, I believe someone else here on the forum had the same issue and...the buzzing sound is most likely unrelated to the bulb/harness issue.

_3

Sparcas
04-20-2009, 07:15 PM
I have that same buzzing coming from underneath my hood, i think... The noise is a continuous buzz after turning on the ignition, but prior to starting the car. I noticed it while i was installing my strut bar, and the noise didn't go away the entire time during the install.

I'm assuming it's a pump or something.

insaini
04-20-2009, 08:48 PM
i have the same buzzing noise ( 07 hatch ) ....

at first i was trying to figure out what it was ... but now i just gave up ... doesnt seem to have any bad effect on anything ...

the thing is ... it only happens when i have the car on for a while ... and then turn it off ... but if i just turn it on and turn it off after like a couple of min ... no noise ...

not sure what it could be ....

i installed hids in both headlights and fogs .. but this buzzing noise was there before i did that .. and its still there after i put it in .. so its not the lights ....

but w.e it is ... not harmful ... hopefully ....

McGuyver_3
04-20-2009, 10:44 PM

sounds to me like the throttle body shutting down as long as it shuts down after about 10-20 seconds or so it should be allright

the bulb burning out after 3 months sounds like either the ground or power connector being almost broken off due to movement causing constant spikes burning out the bulbs. I have seen it before

stas
04-20-2009, 11:31 PM
which side of the engine is the throttle body? (never payed attention on the mazda3, sry for the newb question) the noise is coming from the passenger side. 10-20 seconds is about right for the noise

i replaced the bulb AGAIN last thursday so far so good, if its out again then i think its the harness, when i replaced it there was some build up, could be the issue. if anything will keep posted

McGuyver_3
04-20-2009, 11:42 PM
the throttle body sits right by the drivers side were the intake is. The build up you speak of is it almost like corrosion? if so try some contact cleaner to try and clean the contact points

stas
04-20-2009, 11:45 PM
wouldnt say its corrosion, its black, also the plastic further down on the harness (same side) is melted partially....

McGuyver_3
04-20-2009, 11:49 PM
hmm you running the right bulbs? not to high in wattage? the burning of the harness worries me a little although i am not all surprised as they are on 24/7 when you drive

stas
04-20-2009, 11:52 PM
hmm you running the right bulbs? not to high in wattage? the burning of the harness worries me a little although i am not all surprised as they are on 24/7 when you drive

i was runnning Pmall bulbs for 1 year, i am sure they caused the burning on the socket

stas
05-09-2009, 05:19 PM
NOW I HAVE AN ACTUAL PROBLEM!!!!! BOTH HEADLIGHTS AREN'T WORKING AT ALL. all other bulbs are on, as you all know the bulb that i had an issue with was replaces a couple of weeks ago. any thoughts?

McGuyver_3
05-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Hey Stas, check the fuses in the pjb in the passenger side footwell. If those are both ok get a voltage meter and check to see if you are getting 12V at the headlight connectors. If that is ok then i would suggest checking ground as they may have corroded. If worst comes to worst bulbs are good fuses are good and the grounds are good then it may be the PJB itself. Have you been noticing anything funny like lights staying on by themselves? Only the lowbeams nothing else though. That may be an indication that the PJB is gone. PM me if need be

stas
05-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Hey Stas, check the fuses in the pjb in the passenger side footwell. If those are both ok get a voltage meter and check to see if you are getting 12V at the headlight connectors. If that is ok then i would suggest checking ground as they may have corroded. If worst comes to worst bulbs are good fuses are good and the grounds are good then it may be the PJB itself. Have you been noticing anything funny like lights staying on by themselves? Only the lowbeams nothing else though. That may be an indication that the PJB is gone. PM me if need be

thanks for the suggestions.
i'll get MoT to check that stuff, i'm a newb when it comes to electrical stuff. i just hope its not the PJB it self, as i remember its expensive as hell

notoriousb
05-12-2009, 12:11 AM
sounds to me like the throttle body shutting down as long as it shuts down after about 10-20 seconds or so it should be allright

the bulb burning out after 3 months sounds like either the ground or power connector being almost broken off due to movement causing constant spikes burning out the bulbs. I have seen it before

+1 on the throttle body... That buzzing noise is the flap inside adjusting itself.

I had a problem with tail lights one time it ended up being calcium or lime buildup in the harnesses. Use electrical cleaner on all your wiring harnesses or at least inspect them for a green/white buildup.

McGuyver_3
05-12-2009, 11:27 PM
NotoriousB- The green build up is normal on the headlamp connector as they are not very well insulated even my old 3 had the same issues :(

notoriousb
05-12-2009, 11:39 PM
Yeah but to a point ... Mine got to the point of stopping proper current flow.

McGuyver_3
05-13-2009, 12:48 AM
I didnt know it would get that bad learned something new today

stas
05-13-2009, 06:11 PM
thats a good idea, i will definately check it out, cant be buying new bulbs every time