PDA

View Full Version : empty connector in harness

froggy
03-14-2009, 02:10 AM
I today installed my twm ss and during the tear down when I disconected the Audio in and 12v outlet from the main harness I noticed another branch coming off the main harness with nothing plugged into it. My 3 is a base model gx 5 spd and i was wondering what might get plugged into there? My best guess right now is that it's the power for the lights for the Automatic transmission console. but I could be wrong, I'd just look at the wiring diagram and figure it out but I don't have one :( Any info on this to satisfy my curiosity would be great

Gizzmo_jr
03-14-2009, 02:12 AM
How many pins? One is the auto transmission panel like you said, another is for the navagtion control panel.

froggy
03-14-2009, 02:28 AM
I didn't check to closely I was more concerned with installing the shifter, and since my fingers were getting numb ( my garage isn't heated) and I didn't remove the seats and didn't want to bend like a pretzel to take a better look. I was just wondering if it could be the a/t power because i want to get a lighted shift knob to match the instrument cluster/ radio lights. So if that is the power source makes my job much easier. I'll double check when the weather gets warmer and I either install my LOC and amps or swap out the entire head unit and run amp/ speaker etc. Thanks gizmo for the fast reply, I think based on the position ( it was really low) it is most likely the a/t light harness. I'm so glad that these areas of the car are so easily accessible, not like my old vw:bang

Gizzmo_jr
03-14-2009, 10:18 AM
Well if your already in the lower middle console area, a fool proof spot to tap 12v switched with ignition is the cigarette lighter.