PDA

View Full Version : shaky staring wheel when breaking

singhspeed
04-07-2009, 11:36 AM
ive been noticing this problem for quite awhile now.... usually when im going over 60km and then apply breaks staring wheel starts to shake quite alot.... does this mean i need an alignment?

Noisy Crow
04-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Likely your brake rotors need turning / replacing. Do you feel any pulsing in the brake pedal?

Jeff-TheBiz
04-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Warped rotor...

Had them myself.

Aitch
04-07-2009, 12:16 PM
As above, I also agree.

N.B. Title should be "shaky steering wheel when braking" :)

whodilly
04-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Try to rebed the rotors with pad material as mentioned in some other threads. If that doesn't work, then check the rotors to see if they;re warped.

singhspeed
04-07-2009, 11:49 PM
ohh man i feel like an idiot for the typo lol ahh .... but thanks for the advice i will take a look.... and how much would it roughly cost to repair? is this under warranty by ne chance?

Soyabean
04-08-2009, 12:16 AM
no, you can get new rotors and pads for $260 from a sponsor on our forum or you can machine them to fix it

jonjon72
04-08-2009, 12:19 AM
Had the same problem and replaced the pads and rotors a couple of weeks back. All is well, no shaky steering when I brake! woo hoo.

I have a 2006 model so it was time to change them.....damn warped OEM rotors!

wikdslo
04-08-2009, 07:28 AM
no, you can get new rotors and pads for $260 from a sponsor on our forum or you can machine them to fix it

The problem with machining is that it happened before, it will happen again.
If you can't take off the rotors yourself and have another car to drive them to a shop to have them turned, then you're going to pay labour to have it removed/installed again. In that case I would suggest just buying new parts and replacing it.

Turning (also known as machining) causes them to get thinner, which means less metal to dissipate the heat, which apparently your rotors are already struggling with since they overheated and thus warped.

Also, when your rotors warp, your pads tend to bed in an unruly fashion to match the warped rotors.

It's always a good idea to change the pads at the time of changing/turning the rotors.

Changing pads/rotors is actually VERY easy to do, just requires a few tools for safety purposes, but the process is very similar for most cars.

Soyabean
04-08-2009, 09:00 AM
The problem with machining is that it happened before, it will happen again.
If you can't take off the rotors yourself and have another car to drive them to a shop to have them turned, then you're going to pay labour to have it removed/installed again. In that case I would suggest just buying new parts and replacing it.

Turning (also known as machining) causes them to get thinner, which means less metal to dissipate the heat, which apparently your rotors are already struggling with since they overheated and thus warped.

Also, when your rotors warp, your pads tend to bed in an unruly fashion to match the warped rotors.

It's always a good idea to change the pads at the time of changing/turning the rotors.

Changing pads/rotors is actually VERY easy to do, just requires a few tools for safety purposes, but the process is very similar for most cars.

I agree with you there. I was trying to offer a less expensive solution but i guess the problem will occur again afterwards so its not worth doing. My car actually has warped rotors and i've been driving for a year like that. When braking hard at like speeds of 100km+ it'll shake. I've just been too lazy to change them as they are still good for everyday driving and i should be safe as long as i dont drive fast and brake hard

Donutz
04-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Try to rebed the rotors with pad material as mentioned in some other threads.

Try this first. It's free.

Jeff0
04-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Had the same problem and replaced the pads and rotors a couple of weeks back. All is well, no shaky steering when I brake! woo hoo.

I have a 2006 model so it was time to change them.....damn warped OEM rotors!

How many kilometers when you changed both rotors and brakes? Is it city driven or highway?

jonjon72
04-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Since it was a couple of weeks back, I had about 84,000 KM. Its a mixture of hwy and city driving.

Rotors and pads for $260 (cross drilled). The install was done by Jimmy and got a great deal.....lets just say I had a huge smile when I was quoted $$.