PDA

View Full Version : Why rustproof when the problem is surface rust?

sip
04-10-2009, 01:09 PM
I hear that Mazda 3 has a surface rust problem, specially near wheel wells. How could rust proofing stop this surface rust problem? Wouldn't rust proofing stop rusting from inside out not vice versa? Wouldn't regular washing and waxing better than rust proofing stopping the surface rust problem?

I bought a 2009 Mazda 3 few days ago and am confused by forum members preference for rust proofing when the real problem is the surface rust.

Any benefit of getting only the undercoating by Krown or Rust Check (without the full treatment) as oppose to doing nothing?

(I don't like holes being drilled, as some says that incorrect application may plug drain holes, which would promote rust)

x_o_k_x
04-10-2009, 01:13 PM
well i have never ever drilled holes in my car, the holes are already premade. They shouldnt be making any more holes. Also rustproofing your car, they spray oil in fender area as well. That way your car will not rust or slows down rust in very common place like in the fenders.
I also never spray in the engine bay area. It would make your car that much harder to work on and makes it very dirty.

Hives
04-10-2009, 01:17 PM
The Mazda 3 seems like the next honda civic with the rust at the rear :chuckle

Speedy2008
04-10-2009, 02:17 PM
For those of us fortunate enough to keep our cars for a long time, rust is inevitable. Don't like the idea of drilling holes or having to pay money for something that is unnecessary. If rust is ever a problem for me, this will act as a signal to buy a new car because at this point, I would have enjoyed the car for many years already.

sip
04-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Would Krown or Rust Check rust proofing damage rubber seals?

vladimir
04-10-2009, 08:41 PM
For those of us fortunate enough to keep our cars for a long time, rust is inevitable. Don't like the idea of drilling holes or having to pay money for something that is unnecessary. If rust is ever a problem for me, this will act as a signal to buy a new car because at this point, I would have enjoyed the car for many years already.
Not really, P5s have a ton of rust already, and first years mz3 already have a bit of rust to. I wouldn't consider 5 years many years for a car, infact generally a 5 year old car is still pretty young..

Dave_The_BMXER
04-10-2009, 10:26 PM
+1 to what Vladimir said. I have seen a few p5s that are horrible.

If these cars are rusting where its visible I can only imagine what its like where its not.

If you can afford to buy a new car every 3 years or so more power to you.

aris
04-11-2009, 01:08 AM
+2 on what vladimir said..i playing on driving this car to the ground and i want it looking like new when it dies:chuckle

Thrizzl3
04-11-2009, 01:17 AM
+2 on what vladimir said..i'm planning on driving this car to the ground and i want it looking like new when it dies:chuckle

tsk tsk...

my car has quite a few rust spots but im taking it to the dealer for corrosion warranty bodywork

Flagrum_3
04-11-2009, 02:46 AM
Not really, P5s have a ton of rust already, and first years mz3 already have a bit of rust to. I wouldn't consider 5 years many years for a car, infact generally a 5 year old car is still pretty young..

Exactly! 5 years is nothing!! It seems to some, cars have become disposable, this I reflect from comments I have heard/read recently.Whatever happened to keeping a vehicle long enough so it pays for itself? ...Even if you have the disposable income to replace your vehicle every 3-4 years...it sure doesn't make any financial or environmental sense.
Also you have to consider rustproofing a vehicle as an investment, as it will undoubtebly lengthen the life of the vehicle, protect your investment and most likely bring a higher price when you do sell.
I plan on keeping my vehicle super-long term, like till it's 15, and I expect it'll be in mint condition or atleast good enough condition to get a top-going price for it....This you cannot expect if you do not oil spray the vehicle.

Sip, Oil spraying by drilling holes is the only proper way to ensure all areas of the vehicle are protected.Drilling will not cause any damage whatsoever, this is a fact...Using Krown atleast, (can't speak for Rust-check as I don't use the product), I know that it will not effect any rubber seals/weather-stripping or will it plug any drain holes (I've been getting my vehicle sprayed yearly since new so I know first-hand).Again speaking about Krown, I know they have spent over 20 years with some top chemists to come up with their formula, so you know it's top-notch, there are thousands of cars out there still driving around 15 to 20 years old which still look prestine and are testaments to Krown's formula.Personaly when my vehicle is up in the air the under-pinings look like new, as if I just took her off the lot....this I know is due to yearly oil-spraying, as I've seen 'newer' vehicles then mine up on hoists and the rust is everywhere.

As for surface rust, that's up to you to wash and wax your vehicle regularly, clay bar atleast yearly and take care of stone chips promptly...there is nothing else to do.

It's up to you, but I strongly suggest the 'Krown Full-package' if you plan on using anything or love your car.

_3

sip
04-11-2009, 03:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladimir:

"Not really, P5s have a ton of rust already, and first years mz3 already have a bit of rust to. I wouldn't consider 5 years many years for a car, infact generally a 5 year old car is still pretty young.."

Valdimir,

What kind of rust you refer to: surface rust or hole in the body ?

Like you said, rust proofing wouldn't help surface rust. It is not covered by Krown warranty but covered in Mazda's 3 year warranty. Also, Mazda has a 5 year perforation (rust eaten a hole through the body) warranty but most people usually arrest the rust long before this occurs.

If Mazda 3 rust problem is only confined to surface rust why bother with rust proofing? Wouldn't it better to use that money to wash and wax the car?

I personally have used Suzuki, Hyundai and Dodge vehicles for 5 to 7 years and haven't seen any rust on them.

I have read most of the forum postings regarding Mazda rustproofing and feel that they comment about rust proofing without identifying the nature of the Mazda rust problem: surface or inside-out. Or may be I don’t get it.

aris
04-11-2009, 10:04 AM
I no matter what all ways rust check or Krown my trucks/cars. I can give you an example...my truck was 7 years old and not one spec of rust on it at all (before i sold it) cause i rust checked it yearly.

My brother has had his truck for 10 years and it's got almost 200,000km on it and it looks like brand new cause he rust checked it yearly...now my dad's truck is 11 years old and he has 140,000km on it and the body is starting to rust.

Speedy2008
04-11-2009, 11:43 AM
I am not convinced that any oil spray or electronic process could significantly limit the damage caused by rust.

Flagrum_3
04-11-2009, 12:52 PM
I am not convinced that any oil spray or electronic process could significantly limit the damage caused by rust.

Oil spraying, if done from day one and yearly will slow the rust (oxidation)process to a virtual crawl, not totally eliminate it...The physics behind this is not hard to understand.On the otherhand the electronic process you mentioned has been proven to be nothing but a pipe dream, when used for vehicles that is....works great on submarines though.:)

_3

mazda lover
04-11-2009, 06:09 PM
I hear that Mazda 3 has a surface rust problem, specially near wheel wells. How could rust proofing stop this surface rust problem? Wouldn't rust proofing stop rusting from inside out not vice versa? Wouldn't regular washing and waxing better than rust proofing stopping the surface rust problem?

I bought a 2009 Mazda 3 few days ago and am confused by forum members preference for rust proofing when the real problem is the surface rust.

Any benefit of getting only the undercoating by Krown or Rust Check (without the full treatment) as oppose to doing nothing?

(I don't like holes being drilled, as some says that incorrect application may plug drain holes, which would promote rust)

The black wax tar like rust proofing that dealers get you to buy from them may plug drain holes where as oil would not, oil will flow out.

vladimir
04-14-2009, 11:02 AM
If Mazda 3 rust problem is only confined to surface rust why bother with rust proofing? Wouldn't it better to use that money to wash and wax the car?
Why exactly can't you do both?
I wash my car every 2 weeks and wax every other month... I do get a bit more lazy in the winter but still try to do it often