PDA

View Full Version : Extra key no worky?

justin surdit
04-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Not sure if this is the right section, but when I picked my vehicle up, I received 2 key/fob sets. They also gave me a 3rd key w/ no fob and said that it was an extra spare.

This seemed odd to me, and a few days ago I tried the key. It went into the ignition, the ignition turned, but no start. Any know what the deal is? I tried my normal key right after and it started no problems.......

Did they give me someone else's key by accident?

If they did, does it seem right that the ignition turned???

Not really a big deal, it just seems really odd and i would feel bad if someone else ended up getting shorted a key because I have it.

cwp_sedan
04-22-2009, 10:50 AM
You have to program the key to work. To do this you need to have 2 working keys + the key you want to program, unless you have the dealer do it for you which will cost more than it's worth. Since you have 2 keys I would do it to make sure you have a back up.

Here are the instructions. You need 2 working keys to be able to program another key.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb106/cwp_sedan/Flip_Key_Procedure.jpg

justin surdit
04-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Well, can you be more specific - just kidding.

Thanks man, much appreciated.............

dentinger
04-22-2009, 02:18 PM
you sure its a chip key, and not just a blank?

ie, if you lock your keys in the car, you can unlock your doors with the blank, but it wont start the car.

cwp_sedan
04-22-2009, 03:37 PM
you sure its a chip key, and not just a blank?

ie, if you lock your keys in the car, you can unlock your doors with the blank, but it wont start the car.

Yeah, forgot about that also...

thefish
04-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Nice thread title :chuckle