PDA

View Full Version : auto-x with passenger

silvermist99
06-03-2009, 09:57 AM
question for the more experienced, does having a passenger slow you lap down??

I'm not that consistant in the past and I've ran very similar time with and without passenger.

Gizzmo_jr
06-03-2009, 10:00 AM
Ironically, on sunday I posted my fastest time of the day with a passenger. You can say the extra weight is bad, but technically it balances the car against the drivers weight.

People ride shotgun all the time without complains I find at my club.

Fobio
06-03-2009, 10:06 AM
silvermist is bringing a date (of equal weight) to autox. nice! :chuckle

silvermist99
06-03-2009, 10:14 AM
silvermist is bringing a date (of equal weight) to autox. nice! :chuckle

I don't want to be slow, but my friend is bugging me to take her to see these things she is like 120lb maybe, not close to my weight... lol.

& I have a second issue... where do I put my DSLR when I race if I bring it?? lol

Ironically, on sunday I posted my fastest time of the day with a passenger. You can say the extra weight is bad, but technically it balances the car against the drivers weight.

People ride shotgun all the time without complains I find at my club.

I had similar experience, my best laps was all with passenger. I don't know if its my driving or ?

Gizzmo_jr
06-03-2009, 10:19 AM
DSLR? Lock it up in a friends car, or if you trust most of the people around in the club just leave it with all your stuff on the side. That's what I do.

sjd
06-03-2009, 11:41 AM
I think that running with or without a passenger doesn't make that much of a difference since there are so many variables in autox. I once heard a top SCCA competitor say there is no such thing as a perfect run.

Personally I find my focus is better if I don't have a passenger, although I am almost always willing to take a passenger. I try to do a least two runs by myself and that's almost always where I get my fastest runs, especially since I switched the the MX-5.

I take my DSLR as well and usually have someone watch it for me while I run or lock it in the trunk if I am marshaling.

-cj-
06-03-2009, 12:19 PM
I don't want to be slow, but my friend is bugging me to take her to see these things she is like 120lb maybe, not close to my weight... lol.

& I have a second issue... where do I put my DSLR when I race if I bring it?? lol

Unless she's really cool, she's probably going to be bored as $%@( and ready to go home by the time you head out on your 4th run ;)

But on the up side, you'll have someone to watch your DSLR =)

Marsh
06-03-2009, 03:36 PM
OK get this straight. "Balancing the driver's weight" does NOT improve the performance of the car. If it did all the fast guys would have lead weights bolted to the passenger floor. It's simply a case of the added weight of a passenger does not usually decrease performance to the point where it is going to be noticed on any one given run because most drivers are inconsistent enough that their times would very from run to run by more than the amount the passenger adds.

Of course the heavier the car the less you notice it. In the Prelude I couldn't feel the difference but the stop watch could. In the Miata I do feel the difference and the stop watch does too, but again even I can rip off a good run with a passenger that's under 150lbs.

As SJD said there is no such thing as a perfect run. I can name a few particular runs over the last 10 years that stand out in my mind. I would say this is the best run of my life: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3uBd7PQXq4 and you can clearly see me making mistakes.

silvermist99
06-04-2009, 08:52 AM
DSLR = big camera

I think that running with or without a passenger doesn't make that much of a difference since there are so many variables in autox. I once heard a top SCCA competitor say there is no such thing as a perfect run.

Personally I find my focus is better if I don't have a passenger, although I am almost always willing to take a passenger. I try to do a least two runs by myself and that's almost always where I get my fastest runs, especially since I switched the the MX-5.

I take my DSLR as well and usually have someone watch it for me while I run or lock it in the trunk if I am marshaling.

where is your DSLR when you run?? you don't leave it in your car do you? lol I don't want it banged up. I have a couple lenses too.

Unless she's really cool, she's probably going to be bored as $%@( and ready to go home by the time you head out on your 4th run ;)

But on the up side, you'll have someone to watch your DSLR =)
She is coming with me on most of my runs I assume so I'll have to leave it with someone else... with sjd maybe?? What does your mx5 look like??? I'll come find you that day!.. or come find me I'll be easier to spot.

sjd
06-04-2009, 10:27 AM
where is your DSLR when you run?? you don't leave it in your car do you? lol I don't want it banged up. I have a couple lenses too.

She is coming with me on most of my runs I assume so I'll have to leave it with someone else... with sjd maybe?? What does your mx5 look like??? I'll come find you that day!.. or come find me I'll be easier to spot.

Last time a couple of different people I know watched it for me while I ran. Maybe I can watch your DSLR while you run and you can watch mine while I run.

Although there are a lot of MX-5's at the event I'm the only 3rd generation car. It's black and pretty easy to spot. I'll look for your car too.