PDA

View Full Version : Remote starter question?

sip
07-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Hope this is not a stupid question.

I am thinking about getting one way remote starter installed. My fear is that I may press the start button unknowingly and car would run unnoticed for hours until the gas is over. I am concern that this may happen, especially at work. I guess if I go with a two-way remote starter, I would avoid this problem, since the starter would indicate that car has started.

gabbygenier
07-01-2009, 11:16 AM
that would be the ideal thing to do. they are so cheap now that its worth getting one. id go with viper or compustar. a few of the sponsors sell each of them. maybe wait till audio heaven has their sale to get one. get a good deal on one

Noisy Crow
07-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Any decent remote starter will shut the car down after 10 or 15 minutes.

Donutz
07-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Yes, a good starter will shut itself down. If you are really concerned get a good system with a two way remote (gabbygenier suggested a couple of decent ones).

SuDD3N5HiFT
07-02-2009, 09:26 AM
I don't have any of the higher end such as compustar or viper, but my last car had a one way starter from canadian tire which was like 50 bucks has an auto shutoff feature. it only allows for the car to run 15 mins. The better ones should have a programmable clock, so you can decide how long to keep the car running.

Audio Heaven
07-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Hey

Yes that is correct.

Remote starters would turn off after 15 minutes.

Comeby our sale and have a look what we have.

Sincerly,

Jeff Try
Audio Heaven Inc.

905 763 1686

p-o-g-i
07-03-2009, 09:05 AM
Just to add my .02.....

From all of the remote starters I've used in the past, for all of them you had to hold down the auto start button for a couple of seconds to activate the start; not like an alarm where is just press the button to arm/ disarm.

This feature obviously does not prevent starting your car by accident, but it's just another added safety feature.

But as mentioned above, if your car is started remotely it will shut off on it's own after a pre-set amount of mintues. I got my last alarm/ starter combo installed at Audio Heaven; works like a charm!

sip
07-04-2009, 01:09 AM
Just to add my .02.....

From all of the remote starters I've used in the past, for all of them you had to hold down the auto start button for a couple of seconds to activate the start; not like an alarm where is just press the button to arm/ disarm.

This feature obviously does not prevent starting your car by accident, but it's just another added safety feature.

But as mentioned above, if your car is started remotely it will shut off on it's own after a pre-set amount of mintues. I got my last alarm/ starter combo installed at Audio Heaven; works like a charm!

What is make and model of your starter?

Mazda3X2
07-04-2009, 09:12 AM
We have had a few different remote starters over the years in my wife's cars. Having a two way remote was worth it's price.

For when you can't see your car you can tell my glancing at the remote if the car started, if the doors are locked, even how long it's been running for. Nice feature. Ours would vibrate to let you know as well.

kcmazda
08-18-2009, 11:04 PM
i would go with the mazda remote starter kit works nice...

TheMAN
08-22-2009, 10:36 AM
the mazda one is made by code... it also adds an alarm system with shock sensor
one thing is for sure though, it won't void any warranty on your car

p-o-g-i
08-22-2009, 08:45 PM
What is make and model of your starter?

Compustar I believe....

y21qdfat
10-03-2009, 10:18 PM
I'm confused on the warranty issue with Car Starters. Does it mean that the only option you have is to buy a a mazda 1 way car starter?.

Sales 101
10-04-2009, 05:44 AM
Compustar one way installed by Audio Haven last fall. Works great. Manual Trans. Neighbour just got new car and going to see Jeff next week for starter.

MRT_MS3
10-04-2009, 02:36 PM
I'm confused on the warranty issue with Car Starters. Does it mean that the only option you have is to buy a a mazda 1 way car starter?.

sad to say but thats how they work.

stevenma188
10-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Sorry to threadjack, but I was wondering how a remote starter would work for a manual car? I have a habit of leaving my car parked in gear, and I'm wondering what would happen if I tried to remotely start it when it is in gear by accident.

Noisy Crow
10-04-2009, 02:56 PM
Sorry to threadjack, but I was wondering how a remote starter would work for a manual car? I have a habit of leaving my car parked in gear, and I'm wondering what would happen if I tried to remotely start it when it is in gear by accident.

When installed on a car with a manual transmission the remote start has to be configured so that it does not work when the car is in gear. There a couple of ways to do this... Some cars have a neutral switch, which can be used to detect when the car is in gear. Another way to ensure the car is in netural is to have the remote start shut the engine off for you once you are out of the car with doors shut.

I have a remote start that I will (evenutally) install on my car. I will be safetying it by: using the netural switch, requiring the the parking brake to be applied, and finally using a motion sensor to kill the engine if the car moves while the remote start is active.

Back on topic, warranty would only be affected if the after-market remote start damages your car. Of course, if you take it in to a dealer with problems that turn out to be due to an aftermarket remote start you will have to pay for the repair and then try to recover the cost from the installer or remote start manufacturer.

y21qdfat
10-04-2009, 05:46 PM
sad to say but thats how they work.

Back on topic, warranty would only be affected if the after-market remote start damages your car. Of course, if you take it in to a dealer with problems that turn out to be due to an aftermarket remote start you will have to pay for the repair and then try to recover the cost from the installer or remote start manufacturer.

Thanks for the replies
I'm trying to decide whether to go with a 1way-Mazda car starter or a Viper/Compu. What's the Worse case scenario with an aftermarket one? Can I ruin my engine?

I also only have the standard warranty.

WingZero_
10-04-2009, 06:40 PM
I have an aftermarket one in my 2010. Ruin your engine, NO. Have the dealer bitch, PROBABLY. Void your warranty, NO.

Noisy Crow
10-04-2009, 07:28 PM
Void your warranty, NO.

Unless of course they remote tries to crank while the engine is running or fails to to stop cranking when the engine starts.

Now the odds of this happening are extremely unlikely, especially with a properly installed name-brand remote start. But with an off-brand starter or a half-assed install it's definitely possible.

WingZero_
10-04-2009, 07:32 PM
I've had this brand starter in 3 cars, no problems. It is the Nordic Start from Futurshop. It was a no brainer for me, good luck with it and it supports Manual tranny.

y21qdfat
10-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Unless of course they remote tries to crank while the engine is running or fails to to stop cranking when the engine starts.

Now the odds of this happening are extremely unlikely, especially with a properly installed name-brand remote start. But with an off-brand starter or a half-assed install it's definitely possible.

Thanks for info. Do you have one? None of my cars have one and I've heard mix stories regarding them.

Thanks!

y21qdfat
10-05-2009, 09:44 PM
I've had this brand starter in 3 cars, no problems. It is the Nordic Start from Futurshop. It was a no brainer for me, good luck with it and it supports Manual tranny.

I have an aftermarket one in my 2010. Ruin your engine, NO. Have the dealer bitch, PROBABLY. Void your warranty, NO.

I also just bought my little sister a 2010 GX Sport. I will consider your Nordic for her car.

Noisy Crow
10-05-2009, 09:59 PM
Thanks for info. Do you have one? None of my cars have one and I've heard mix stories regarding them.

Thanks!

Well, mine is sitting in the box (I am sure no one is suprised! :) It might get on this season if I can get a warm weekend... I've done all the pre-work.)
I have driven cars with them though... from my perspective the real value to a remote start is for pre-warming the car for a few minutes in cold weather to help get the windows clear. And of course a block heater would help with that too.

1nmhbacky
10-14-2009, 12:14 AM
how much are they going for?

I'm looking for one before the cold winter actually hits in the GTA.

You mentioned audio heaven has some?
which one did you go with?

that would be the ideal thing to do. they are so cheap now that its worth getting one. id go with viper or compustar. a few of the sponsors sell each of them. maybe wait till audio heaven has their sale to get one. get a good deal on one

fatsock
11-02-2009, 12:22 AM
i would go with the mazda remote starter kit works nice...

Mazda in Calgary quoted me $500.00 for a one-way...that is rediculous!:complain

Bomber-Stud
11-10-2009, 02:25 AM
Mazda in Calgary quoted me $500.00 for a one-way...that is rediculous!:complain

just purchased a 2010 GS in Edmonton.... going to ask the dealer about a remote starter. $500 is a little much for a one-way i thought. I was in futureshop the other day, and I think the cheapest two-way was about 400/450 (installed on a manual).

does mazda offer a oem two-way version?

anyone used the mazda oem starter? thoughts?

cassey20
11-10-2009, 11:11 AM
I have a Nordic two way starter installed on my 05 M3 GT - Manual Transmission.

Did me well for 2 yrs. Can't complain at all!

fatsock
11-10-2009, 09:19 PM
I gave up on the car starter thing. Visions in Calgary posted a Viper 2-way car starter installed for $350.00. Not bad, not bad...so I call and say I have a Mazda 3, how much extra to by-pass the immobilizer I ask (again installation was included in the price). The salesman say $150.00 including parts and labour.

You've got to be kidding!!!

All of you in Toronto...I envy you as you can just go to a sponsor and not get ripped off!

aris
11-10-2009, 09:47 PM
I gave up on the car starter thing. Visions in Calgary posted a Viper 2-way car starter installed for $350.00. Not bad, not bad...so I call and say I have a Mazda 3, how much extra to by-pass the immobilizer I ask (again installation was included in the price). The salesman say $150.00 including parts and labour.

All of you in Toronto...I envy you as you can just go to a sponsor and not get ripped off!

not realy getting riped off..my grand am their was a modue that i need to buy extra.

Their price is for basic intall...casue not every car has securaty features

sip
11-11-2009, 07:56 AM
Sponsors charge $70 for the by-pass module and about $180 for the basic one-way starter with installation. i.e Total about $250 installed before tax. A Mazda dealer quoted $381 plus tax installed and stated that the warranty is not voided as long as it is installed at the dealership. Does it mean the warranty will be voided id installed at a sponsor? I don't know, so I decided not to risk it.

Bomber-Stud
11-17-2009, 02:58 PM

did you try futureshop?
im going to start looking for one soon.

called the dealer in edmonton about mazda oem starters and they are refusing to install them... saying they have too many problems and told me to go to a 3rd party retailer.