PDA

View Full Version : 2007+ mazda 3 rust?

hungtru
07-13-2009, 11:40 AM
I asked the APA, who currently has a couple of investigations on the 3, and they said that they haven't had any compliants about rust for 2007 and + models. They also noted that Mazda said they fixed the problem starting in the 2007 model.

Comments?

H

hungtru
07-13-2009, 11:44 AM
Mis quote. APA said:
According to Mazda, this issue was taken care of for the 2007 model year. We did not get any complaint on that matter after the 2006 model year.

I asked the APA, who currently has a couple of investigations on the 3, and they said that they haven't had any compliants about rust for 2007 and + models. They also noted that Mazda said they fixed the problem starting in the 2007 model.

Comments?

H

mazdabetty
07-13-2009, 11:55 AM
This has already been discussed many times on this forum.

However, I still think the reason they have not yet received any complaints is because it takes about 4 years for the rust to show. (Which leaves us screwed, as the perforation warranty only allows 5 years).

2004 models started showing signs in 2008. The 2005 models had no signs up until this year. There are only a couple of complaints for the 06's so far, I think we'll be hearing a lot more from these owners in 2010.

The 2007 models will possibly start to show signs in 2011, but no one really knows yet.

This is just my theory. Maybe they did fix the issue, but we won't find out until much later.

mazda lover
07-13-2009, 12:26 PM

However, I still think the reason they have not yet received any complaints is because it takes about 4 years for the rust to show. (Which leaves us screwed, as the perforation warranty only allows 5 years).

2004 models started showing signs in 2008. The 2005 models had no signs up until this year. There are only a couple of complaints for the 06's so far, I think we'll be hearing a lot more from these owners in 2010.

The 2007 models will possibly start to show signs in 2011, but no one really knows yet.

This is just my theory. Maybe they did fix the issue, but we won't find out until much later.

I have a 2005 and my rust started to show the spring of 2008, 3 years after I bought the car. You are right the newer cars 2007, might not show any rust until the spring of 2010 or the spring 2011

Go_Habs_Go
07-13-2009, 12:42 PM

This is 100% bang-on. Mazda can talk all they want till they are blue in the face but the reality is that we won't know if the issue was really fixed until at least 3-4 years have passed for each model year in question.

Personally, I highly doubt the issue was even addressed. Look at all the Mazda Protege 5 hatchbacks from 2002-2003 and even the models before that. They have been showing rust for years (some of the hatchbacks I see in Quebec are absolutely COVERED in rust in the rear areas) so Mazda was obviously aware of this for quite some time. It didn't just happen "all of sudden" with the 3.

Here's what I think: I think Mazda never really chose to address this matter. I think it's simple statistics...they looked at the cost of fixing the issue at the source (i.e. changing the manufacturing process of the car) vs paying out to have it fixed later and they decided it would cost less to pay out later. I'm sure they have formula's that take into account all sorts of stuff (including customer satisfaction or rather, dissatisfaction and "goodwill" costs, etc) but they must have still thought that the cost of fixing the problem later would be less than addressing it at the source.

But of course, this is just one man's opinion so take it for what it's worth. :)

And don't get me wrong, I still love the car, I would buy it again but I think it's pretty lame to have so much rust on cars that are only a few years old.

Flagrum_3
07-13-2009, 01:03 PM
Well atleast the APA is aware of the problem! So it may be anticipated that more recent models such as the '07-'09s' will be the same in some cases.

With the 2010, I believe Mazda took some steps to elleviate the problem but that is also still to be seen.

It really does suck, that even though you might take all necessary steps to prevent it, the rust can still show it's ugly head and even worse at such an early stage....IMHO a newly bought vehicle should give you atleast 8-10 years before any sign of exterior rust starts to show, if maintained properly, that is.

Not defending Mazda here but the problem may be due to thier suppliers i.e; Inferior metal coming out of China, which is where Japan is getting most of it's sheet metal from....Inferior quality Chinese metals as been discussed on some buisiness shows as of late.

_3

Bean
07-13-2009, 03:05 PM
I have a 2007 and why does it have rust on it?

Flagrum_3
07-13-2009, 04:24 PM
I have a 2007 and why does it have rust on it?

That sucks bigtime! You may be one of the first 07' unlucky ones, I guess....Have you reported it to your dealer or the APA?

_3

Bean
07-13-2009, 04:33 PM
Yes. Karen Lee-McNair knows about it. I was thinking of fixing it but being that once the lease runs out we will give back the car, I am not sure.

I am a Maam by the way ;)

Flagrum_3
07-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Yes. Karen Lee-McNair knows about it. I was thinking of fixing it but being that once the lease runs out we will give back the car, I am not sure.

I am a Maam by the way ;)

Sorry didn't realize, maam. Why wouldn't you fix it, if it's covered under warranty? Wouldn't the rust showing increase your charges at lease end?

_3

Bean
07-13-2009, 04:41 PM
You are right. Although its not our fault the cars are like this and only when it is 2 years old. I will have to see. Problem is her dealership is in Markham and I dont have a second car and they do not provide loaners. So will have to see.

Bean
07-13-2009, 04:42 PM
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2128928230064652886iHnttx

Here is the best pic of it. Left side rear fender

thanu31
07-13-2009, 05:48 PM
You are right. Although its not our fault the cars are like this and only when it is 2 years old. I will have to see. Problem is her dealership is in Markham and I dont have a second car and they do not provide loaners. So will have to see.

The dealer is in scarborough, Markham and Finch.

Surprises me how you havent gotten it fixed for so long, as you complain the most about your rust too.

Bean
07-13-2009, 05:50 PM
I live in Newmarket and it is not easy to get down there and have to be without a car for a few days. I WONT deal with Dave Wood, so lets not go there

thanu31
07-13-2009, 05:57 PM
i guess fair enuf

Bean
07-13-2009, 06:00 PM
:)

Karen Lee-McNair
07-16-2009, 03:56 PM
Good news Bean...

if you have a MAP warranty (a new procedure has just been posted through Mazda) you will receive rental coverage. Boy, this makes my job a lot easier
:bana2

let me know when you are able to come in

:)

Bean
07-16-2009, 04:43 PM
Yes I do. Okay, I will talk with Hubby and we will go from there.

hungtru
07-20-2009, 10:23 AM
I was in the showroom, and took the picture of the lip inside the rear wheel well. It looks different, and similar to the Toyotas now.

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/3606/newlip.th.jpg

So it is noticeably thicker than previous models.

hungtru
07-20-2009, 10:24 AM
http://img193.yfrog.com/i/newlip.jpg/

hungtru
07-20-2009, 10:24 AM
http://img193.yfrog.com/i/newlip.jpg/

Bean
07-20-2009, 12:25 PM
Still wont be getting another Mazda

Karen Lee-McNair
07-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Rust would not affect your lease return - impact damage will though.
It is a third party that comes in to inspect for lease returns - no affiliation to mazda, and I have never heard of anyone being billed for rust buildup.
Dents and scratches are another issue.

Sorry didn't realize, maam. Why wouldn't you fix it, if it's covered under warranty? Wouldn't the rust showing increase your charges at lease end?

_3

mazda lover
07-20-2009, 07:15 PM
Notoced the same with the wheel wells also, will make no difference, surface rust is surface rust no matter how thick the metal is. Also noticed the inner door edges are different, will it make a difference?

Google
10-06-2009, 10:17 PM
What's mazda doing about this corrosion problem? I have several "freckles" of rust throughout body of the car, especially the outside of my trunk. I also have some rust underneath the car near the rear bumper which is really bad.

Bean
10-06-2009, 10:19 PM
What year is your car?

Zoom Zoom Boy
10-06-2009, 10:36 PM
What's mazda doing about this corrosion problem? I have several "freckles" of rust throughout body of the car, especially the outside of my trunk. I also have some rust underneath the car near the rear bumper which is really bad.

The freckles on your car are 'rail dust' not body rust. Do a search on here for more info.

Google
10-06-2009, 11:09 PM
"Rail dust" ? Thanks, I never heard of this term before. I'll do a search.

And the heavy rust on the underside on the steel panel near the fuel tank?

Bean, mine is a 2006.

Bean
10-06-2009, 11:24 PM
:(

Google
10-07-2009, 01:09 AM
I know....a collegue of mine told me that back in Montreal, Mazda 626s were always plagued with heavy rust. Everything else was great about them though.

Me thinks once the extended perforation warranty expires, I'll have to ditch my 3 and get into debt again by buying a new car. :(

mazda lover
10-07-2009, 11:08 AM

sorry you are wrong on the 2005 showing rust this year, I have an 2005 and noticed rust early 2008....

Zoom Zoom Boy
10-07-2009, 08:49 PM
I know....a collegue of mine told me that back in Montreal, Mazda 626s were always plagued with heavy rust. Everything else was great about them though.

Me thinks once the extended perforation warranty expires, I'll have to ditch my 3 and get into debt again by buying a new car. :(

Actually, your friend had it backwards, the 626 wasn't too bad for rust, but the rest of the car wasn't great at all...they were not particularly reliable and fit and finish left a lot to be desired, thanks in large part to being built in Michigan U.S. and not Japan.

Google
10-08-2009, 01:57 AM
Nah, he's not my friend. I should stop listening to his BS. Thanks for setting things straight. :)

mazda lover
10-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Actually, your friend had it backwards, the 626 wasn't too bad for rust, but the rest of the car wasn't great at all...they were not particularly reliable and fit and finish left a lot to be desired, thanks in large part to being built in Michigan U.S. and not Japan.

A 626 I saw a few weeks ago had rust all over it, very bad with holes at the door pillars, wish I had my camera to take a pic. Don't know what year it was...

MattC
10-08-2009, 01:59 PM
I just gave my 07 3 back, and I call shenanigans. the underside was COVERED in rust.

stuone
11-03-2009, 02:49 PM
my car is a 2007 sport GT and it showed signs of wheel well rust during the winter of 2008-2009 at around 50K - I kept cleaning it until spring and finally had the repairs done in June of 2009 by Ajax Mazda (though they send it out to a local bodyshop)
the repair looked good but they didn't get all of the rust (especially under the plastic skirts and along rear bumper seem
my warranty (which is too short in my opinion) ends this month, so I will be taking it back in the next couple of weeks to be painted again while it is still free
Someone else on here also mentioned the lack of customer service from the dealer and Mazda Canada - I have found that to be the case as well.
Our other vehicle is a Kia, a year older - and we have had no issues with it to date and have actually enjoyed taking it in for service - really makes you think. Will keep that in mind when it comes time to replace the cars next year.

Bean
11-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Quite sad isnt it? :(

Google
11-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Once my extended warranty expires on my 3, I'm getting rid of it. I've already made up my mind. Perhaps by that time, Mazda will have improved their customer service and eliminated this rust issue.

Bean
11-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Dont get your hopes up :(

stuone
01-20-2010, 04:58 PM
an update on my rust issues...
I took the car back to Ajax Mazda in November to have the repairs done again, as the June repair was more of a cover up and new rust was already forming. The November repair looked better, and they put a seam sealer around the wheel wells this time, but still didn't remove the plastic rocker covers or rear bumper to do a complete job. Needless to say, rust appeard just 5 weeks after that repair and so I took it back again just this week. This 3rd paint job is the best so far, and it appears that the bodyshop did paint under the rocker covers and along the seam of the rear bumper this time. Let's hope it lasts!
I see below that someone mentioned Mazda customer service - it has been my experience that the head office and dealerships are well aware of the premature corrosion on our cars, but they lack any real or long term solution and I doubt that the 2010 models will fair any better with time. It is such a shame that the customer is left to feel like a nusiance when bringing up serious concerns about their cars. For those of you that are interested, the APA is doing a study into corrosion issues on Mazda 3's, go to their website and log your repairs on their online forms if this issue affects your car.

Bean
01-20-2010, 07:28 PM
What a joke and yet Mazda is selling these cars like crazy

hatthi
01-20-2010, 11:35 PM
My brother in law is from Montreal and is a mechanic. Next to his business is a body shop that has been repairing Mazda 3 rust issues for some of the local dealerships. According to the bodyshop the reason their is rust on many of our cars is because Mazda had used recycled metal on some vehicles during the manufacturing process. Not sure if it's the truth or not but that's what he was told.

aris
01-20-2010, 11:58 PM
My brother in law is from Montreal and is a mechanic. Next to his business is a body shop that has been repairing Mazda 3 rust issues for some of the local dealerships. According to the bodyshop the reason their is rust on many of our cars is because Mazda had used recycled metal on some vehicles during the manufacturing process. Not sure if it's the truth or not but that's what he was told.

This doesn't surprise me..back in the early 80's ford did this on their f150 and they were rusting also

hatthi
01-21-2010, 12:47 AM
The replacement process is cool. He says the guy cuts out the rusted wheel well and sticks a replacement part in with some new super adhesive automotive glue. This is supposed to be stronger than a regular weld and much faster to repair.

Google
01-21-2010, 12:59 AM
I was under the impression this was the case with all steel used in the manufacturing process. However, I doubt that's the cause though. It may have something to do with the liquid solution the body and frame is dipped into to resist corrision.

I wonder if that electrical anti-corrosion device that crappy tiers sales does anything?

aris
01-21-2010, 01:29 AM
I wonder if that electrical anti-corrosion device that crappy tiers sales does anything?

Complete garbage IMO

pato
01-21-2010, 08:23 PM
The car would be perfect for me but that rust problem changes everything and scares the heck out of me as a car is an important investment.

Is there an insider at MAZDA reading this board that could confirm the problem is fixed on the new 2009-2010 cars? And what was done at MAZDA's plants to rectify it?

Thanks.

hatthi
01-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Complete garbage IMO

I've heard the same. I saw a news show where they actually tested it and found it wasn't effective. Can't remember the name of the show.

Rob23
01-22-2010, 12:22 PM
get your car rust proofed and if your paint chips or cracks make sure to touch it up. any exposed metal will rust not much you can do, keep a close eye on the joints in the metal by the wheel wells thats the first place they go.

Google
01-22-2010, 11:54 PM
I think someone mentioned here that claybar your car is a good idea to reduce the impact of rail dust and rust formation.