PDA

View Full Version : 2010 headlight lens melting/frosted

Pages : [1] 2

rickheatherley
07-24-2009, 04:42 AM
Has anyone experienced a melting and frosted look to parts of the headlight lens? Just above the Bi-Xenon bulb I have a frosted/foggy look that started after 10000km. It looks as if the headlights are melting the inside of the headlight. Dealer replaced both, had to remove the entire front bumper assembly to replace the 2 headlights. Each of the headlights are >$1000.

BeEvil
07-24-2009, 07:56 AM
Funny you should mention that. I noticed a misting in one corner on my right lens. :flaming Hope this isn't going to be a problem!!! I'll have a closer look today.

BeEvil

Aitch
07-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Interesting. Obviously Mazda has to replace it. I'll go out on a limb and predict a slightly revised part going forward.

(Just so in two years I can say I called it!)

Soyabean
07-24-2009, 09:43 AM
I dont this headlights should be misting. That means there is condensation in the headlights. You dont want that. My gf cracked her taillight and it gets condensation everytime it rains. Its bad because it can shortcircuit your lights

Soyabean
07-24-2009, 09:44 AM
Interesting. Obviously Mazda has to replace it. I'll go out on a limb and predict a slightly revised part going forward.

(Just so in two years I can say I called it!)

+1. Take photos. A picture is worth a thousand words. If they say they dont believe it, you throw the pic in there face and ask them, "How do you feel????"

rickheatherley
07-24-2009, 06:48 PM
I guess I should have taken a photo before Mazda replaced both of them. I noticed more if you view the lights from either side of the car. Head on you can't see it as predominantly. Mazda had no problems with replacing them, had them sent back to Mazda for investigation. It was not condensation, it was as if they were melting from the inside. If you take a piece of clear plastic, and start bending it back and forth, you start to see the white foggy/misty color of the clear plastic... that's what 40% of the headlight looked like, most above the bulbs, then more towards the back of the light. Mazda said they'd never heard of it. It may be that I drive alot each month, and the problem shows itself after 10000km or so. I guess we'll see what happens in 3 months when I've gone another 10000km. Mazda did mention a service bulletin that mentioned condensation but again this was not the case.

FLIPDADY
07-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Were they replaced at MOT?

rickheatherley
07-25-2009, 01:52 AM
MOT? what's that? It was replaced by a Mazda Dealership on instructions from Mazda Canada.

Zoom Zoom Boy
07-25-2009, 02:20 AM
MOT? what's that? It was replaced by a Mazda Dealership on instructions from Mazda Canada.

MOT=Mazda of Toronto

crono06
07-25-2009, 02:34 AM

Sorry, but I lol'd.

davis
08-22-2009, 11:17 PM
I'm having the same problem, and my car just reached 10,000km this month.
I'm having problem with both sides though...:(
let me take some pics and post it later...hope that mine can be replaced by warranty.

Did you get yours fixed, BeEvil?

BeEvil
08-23-2009, 07:37 AM
Not yet. But I'm going to the Agincourt BBQ today and I'll show Karen and the techs that will be there.

BeEvil

davis
08-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Not yet. But I'm going to the Agincourt BBQ today and I'll show Karen and the techs that will be there.

BeEvil

Please keep us posted. If everything goes smoothly for you, I''ll go to the dealership where you get yours fixed.

BeEvil
08-24-2009, 07:56 AM
Please keep us posted. If everything goes smoothly for you, I''ll go to the dealership where you get yours fixed.

I spoke to Karen at the Agincourt BBQ yesterday and she said it's a leak and that it's covered under warranty. No sure if it's a leak however but as long as it's covered that's all that matters at this point.

BeEvil

domlee03
08-29-2009, 01:48 PM
Both of my head light melted the surrounding plastics when my '10 GT sedan was at 3000k, got replaced no charge.

I spoke to Karen at the Agincourt BBQ yesterday and she said it's a leak and that it's covered under warranty. No sure if it's a leak however but as long as it's covered that's all that matters at this point.

BeEvil

pacmann33
09-02-2009, 10:41 PM
soooooo....do the new headlights just melt again? LOL

sounds like a design/engineering problem...I hope they have taken steps to resolve this issue. I hope mine doesn't do this...if I ever get my silly invisible car...still waiting for delivery with no estimated time for delivery. Fun.

Evil...get yours fixed yet?

mit-gee-mui
09-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Believe it or not, this issue goes all the way back to the 04's as well, and this includes taillights and foglights. (Sometimes, I still see foggy lights on some cars.) :whoa
As already stated, many members got their housings changed under warranty.

If you are curious (or want links to see for yourself), look below. I will only include a few links, not all:
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=9999&highlight=condensation
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=14039&highlight=condensation
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=22754&highlight=condensation

BeEvil
09-03-2009, 07:28 AM
soooooo....do the new headlights just melt again? LOL

sounds like a design/engineering problem...I hope they have taken steps to resolve this issue. I hope mine doesn't do this...if I ever get my silly invisible car...still waiting for delivery with no estimated time for delivery. Fun.

Evil...get yours fixed yet?

Nope not yet. I'll get it changed on my next oil change. Which will be in a few weeks.

BeEvil

mazda lover
09-03-2009, 09:07 PM

BeEvil

a leak and burning are 2 different issues???

BeEvil
09-03-2009, 09:18 PM
a leak and burning are 2 different issues???

It's definitely not a leak and it's not burning either. It's a fogging. Which is exactly what is happening to others on the board. And I don't think it's from the heat of the bulb as my other light is just fine. I think it's just a bad batch of lenses.

Here are a few photos for reference.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/EvnEvlr/fog1.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/EvnEvlr/fog2.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/EvnEvlr/fog3.jpg

BeEvil

cwp_sedan
09-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Yikes that is bad.

mazda lover
09-04-2009, 09:40 PM
Yikes that is bad.

+1

TheMAN
09-04-2009, 11:12 PM
can you try to retake the pics in better lighting and not use the flash? it's hard to make it out for me :)

McGuyver_3
09-04-2009, 11:16 PM
I have seen this before and it is condensation and eventually I have heard that the bulbs will blow. I am at the 12000km mark and have no such problems

WingZero_
09-05-2009, 09:32 PM
I noticed some frosting in one of mine. It's almost like that white that happens when you bend plastic. It's weird.

CFX
09-05-2009, 09:47 PM
I definitely have some kind of condensation happening in mine as well. Nothing like what BeEvil's experiencing but something similar to what I had with my Mazda6. Looks like a snowflake pattern, crystallized.

TheMAN
09-05-2009, 10:37 PM
watch as mazda gays out and makes a tsb saying this is "normal" like water in RX-8 tail lights!

pacmann33
09-07-2009, 09:50 AM
I hope they take care of us...I don't want to be replacing these headlights out of warranty...THAT'S for sure.

I hope the replacements are improved, no sense replacing junk with junk!

TheMAN
09-08-2009, 06:05 PM
mazda has always been good with improving/updating parts... but they haven't been good at issuing recalls/tsbs for them!

jjwhoa
09-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Are you using stock bulbs?
If you're using hid or those blue bulbs they sell everywhere sometimes if the bulb is to long or if it gets to hot it can cause that.

McGuyver_3
09-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Those are the OEM hid housings :( fortunatly i have not come across it yet but i am monitoring it

BeEvil
09-09-2009, 08:07 AM
All my bulbs are stock.

On another note, I called Prima Mazda yesterday to make an appointment. I told them that my headlight was frosting and would like a new one. The service guys response was that he hadn't heard of any problems with the lenses frosting and that he's have to have a look first. I hope this doesn't turn in to a "problem". I want both of them changed now. :flaming

BeEvil

cwp_sedan
09-09-2009, 08:47 AM
All my bulbs are stock.

On another note, I called Prima Mazda yesterday to make an appointment. I told them that my headlight was frosting and would like a new one. The service guys response was that he hadn't heard of any problems with the lenses frosting and that he's have to have a look first. I hope this doesn't turn in to a "problem". I want both of them changed now. :flaming

BeEvil

Once they see that there's no way they could say there isn't a problem with yours. I wouldn't worry about it too much until they deny you a new headlight. Then get angry :chuckle

pacmann33
09-10-2009, 11:07 AM
+1...what he said, once they see it they have to agree with you. Also before you go in hit the lenses with a coat of wax, so it accentuates the smoothness on the outside of the lens, making the inside problem seem worse. Can't hurt! Lol

plontoc
09-10-2009, 11:28 AM
I just hit 6000km and no sign of frosting or melting, but I'm checking everyday. It's only a matter of time...

Don't you just love 1st gen cars?!!!

BeEvil
09-10-2009, 11:47 AM
I find you can notice the frosting even more at night. Turn the headlights on and have a look. If it's starting you'll notice it that way before you can actually see it.

BeEvil

TheMAN
09-10-2009, 01:20 PM
hopefully once the problem is fixed and/or a tsb comes out for it, it'll be good for you guys to get some headlight protection film

it was the first "mod" I did to my 3 because the OEM HIDs are expensive as hell! so they're nice and protected from UV and rock chips... nothing sucks more than sand blasted plastic headlights and faded headlights

BeEvil
09-10-2009, 02:18 PM
hopefully once the problem is fixed and/or a tsb comes out for it, it'll be good for you guys to get some headlight protection film

it was the first "mod" I did to my 3 because the OEM HIDs are expensive as hell! so they're nice and protected from UV and rock chips... nothing sucks more than sand blasted plastic headlights and faded headlights

I am totally all over this. I've been talking to Mleblond about it. I'm just waiting for him to get the cutouts for the 2010. Hopefully soon!!!!

BeEvil

TheMAN
09-10-2009, 02:38 PM
I use xpel myself.... every other brand of headlight film I've seen suck... they're too thin and don't do anything to protect the lights!

I have xpel on all of my cars and they've been holding up great.... my van has EDM glass headlights (which means practically irreplaceable) and it's parked outside all the time... the (self custom cut) film has been holding up great for the past few years... my mom's 2 year old corolla (also parked outside all the time) started to peel at one spot of the headlight... putting xpel on it last month cured it... looks good as new!

vcp
09-10-2009, 03:21 PM
I am having the same issue but it is on both housings. The passenger side is far worse though. I will be taking the car in to hopefully have both headlights replaced. I will let you know how I make out when I can be without the car.

BeEvil
09-11-2009, 07:47 AM
I am having the same issue but it is on both housings. The passenger side is far worse though. I will be taking the car in to hopefully have both headlights replaced. I will let you know how I make out when I can be without the car.

I'm going today for an oil change and to have them "diagnose" the problem with the headlights. I also would like both replaced. We shall see. I'll keep you guys posted as well.

I don't think they'll need the car for more than a couple of hours to replace the headlights. I'll ask and get back to you.

BeEvil

Hives
09-11-2009, 10:59 AM
Yikes! Not good at all

vcp
09-11-2009, 03:52 PM
I hope it all goes nice and smooth as it looks like there will be a number of us heading to the dealership to have this fixed!

Good luck.

BeEvil
09-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Hi all,

So no problems today at the dealership. They will replace the one noticeably "fogged" headlight. The other, because they can't see any problem with it, I'll have to keep...for now. But I'm sure over time it will also go. So there you have it. Should be in, in a week.

Anyone else with the "fogging" headlights?

Oh, and they loved the mods I've done to my car. One of the salespeople want's to do similar mods to one and sell it as a package thing. LOL. The guy I bought it from was really impressed as well.

BeEvil

TheMAN
09-12-2009, 05:11 PM
I suggest that you check the headlight aim on the replaced headlight after you get home... most dealerships don't bother reaiming new headlights properly or just halfass it

just match the aiming height of the new light with the side that wasn't replaced

BeEvil
09-12-2009, 05:57 PM
I suggest that you check the headlight aim on the replaced headlight after you get home... most dealerships don't bother reaiming new headlights properly or just halfass it

just match the aiming height of the new light with the side that wasn't replaced

Thanks for the heads up.

BeEvil

McGuyver_3
09-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Usually if the customer didn't play with the aim to begin with then the headlights should be level anyways but it is a good thing to check

TheMAN
09-13-2009, 01:08 AM
right, but anytime you R&R or replace a headlight... the aim will be off... which is why it always needs to be reaimed, much like R&Ring suspension parts... but most people are lazy and don't care to do it

mazda lover
09-13-2009, 07:36 AM
right, but anytime you R&R or replace a headlight... the aim will be off... which is why it always needs to be reaimed, much like R&Ring suspension parts... but most people are lazy and don't care to do it

what is R&R ? rest and relaxation? rock & roll?

pacmann33
09-13-2009, 09:08 AM
remove and replace, I believe

McGuyver_3
09-13-2009, 10:31 AM

I dont aggree with that because i have replaced several headlights and have never had to realign them sure i checked the alignment but knock on wood never had to adjust them

TheMAN
09-13-2009, 04:35 PM
you sure you're talking about headlight housings and not bulbs right?

McGuyver_3
09-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Yes i work ata delaerrship in service and have replaced several headlight assemblies and have not had to readjust them. I even did it with my old mazda

TheMAN
09-13-2009, 06:00 PM
you're lucky then
because I replaced plenty of headlights myself, including a BK 3... it was all slightly off

even my own 3 that was hit before... it was slightly off

McGuyver_3
09-13-2009, 06:17 PM
Of course i do check them but in pretty much all cases i have never had to relevel them. Just when people come in with the bulbs not installed correctly and they adjust the headlight upwards so much to compensate for the aim towards the ground which they are lucky the lights dont burn in to the reflector otherwise it would mean BIG money for a replacement

BeEvil
09-14-2009, 08:31 PM
So I was washing my car tonight and guess what I found...the other headlight is now fogging. I'll call the dealership tomorrow and ask that they now order the other headlight so i can get them both replaced at the same time. Wish they would have listened to me in the first place. I told them that at night you could tell it was starting to fog and now it's starting to show during the day.

Guys, keep an eye on your headlights they are bound to go.

BeEvil

pacmann33
09-14-2009, 08:33 PM
that really really really sucks....something like this can easily make the extended warranty worthwhile, since the cost of each headlight on these factory HID's is astronomical!

McGuyver_3
09-14-2009, 09:07 PM
KNOCK ON WOOD i do not have any fogging as of yet but i am monitoring on a daily

Logikz
09-15-2009, 06:59 PM
This is ridiculous...I brought my car in to Westowne Mazda and they said they'd have to contact Mazda before they can replace my headlights...it's been a 2 weeks and they still haven't gotten any reply from them :flaming
So...now i'm stuck waiting -_-....

McGuyver_3
09-15-2009, 08:17 PM
keep following up with them maybe even show them the thread.

mazda lover
09-15-2009, 08:22 PM
that really really really sucks....something like this can easily make the extended warranty worthwhile, since the cost of each headlight on these factory HID's is astronomical!

would the extended warranty cover the lights? might not, read the fine print..

McGuyver_3
09-15-2009, 08:26 PM
I personally have the bumper to bumper extended and i am pretty sure it would cover it depends on the type of extended you have and who it is with

tonyzoomzoom
09-15-2009, 08:31 PM
There is a Transport Canada issued safety recall on the 2010 headlight issue

2010 Mazda3
Vehicles affected: 5,738
On certain vehicles, a part of the headlight housing where the daytime running light (DRL) bulb is attached may be damaged by heat from the bulb when the vehicle is left idling for an extended period, or while driving in slow-moving traffic. In the worst case, the housing may be deformed, resulting in bulb detachment. Dealers will repair the housing.

McGuyver_3
09-15-2009, 08:36 PM
HMMM thats good to know so that should mean that a bunch of us should be getting letters then soon i suppose? How are they going to "fix" the lens? lol Are they going to bake them open and replace only the lenses LOL

Prima Tech Aaron
09-16-2009, 12:48 AM
Learned something new. I hven't seen a 2010 vomr in with fogged lighs yet.
btw I saw BeEvil's car whn it came in. I didn't work on it so I didn't see the lights. just a heads up, they won't order the other light just because you call and say it's fogged. A tech has to check it and order the parts because we're responsible for everything we change.

oh and you guys can check your headligt aim easily by marking out a grid on a wall in front of a flat surface. I belive the car should be 10 feet from the wall. mark the center of the car on the wall. then mark five feet up the wall.
with low beams on they should showbelow the 5 foot line slightly to the right. high beams on should just be above the line. the left one should be slightly more towards the center line. this is just a rough check, but works well.

BeEvil
09-16-2009, 07:32 AM
Learned something new. I hven't seen a 2010 vomr in with fogged lighs yet.
btw I saw BeEvil's car whn it came in. I didn't work on it so I didn't see the lights. just a heads up, they won't order the other light just because you call and say it's fogged. A tech has to check it and order the parts because we're responsible for everything we change.

oh and you guys can check your headligt aim easily by marking out a grid on a wall in front of a flat surface. I belive the car should be 10 feet from the wall. mark the center of the car on the wall. then mark five feet up the wall.
with low beams on they should showbelow the 5 foot line slightly to the right. high beams on should just be above the line. the left one should be slightly more towards the center line. this is just a rough check, but works well.

Yes, I realize that now. In a way I don't like that they don't trust the customer. If I say it's bad why can't they just order a headlight? If the customer is wrong or lied then the part can go in to stock and would eventually be used. But I do see the reasoning behind this policy as well. There are a lot of less that honest people out there.

I'm bringing the car back in to get the headlight replaced next Wednesday. I'm busy all week this week.

BeEvil

McGuyver_3
09-16-2009, 07:52 AM
They can't just take order in a headlamp because of the price and once they have it and don't use it its a burden for the dealerr to sit on such a high valued part. Tjats the way it is at my dealer. But if we sit on the part for to long I think 3 months at max it gets sent back to the warehouse but its still X amount of dollars that could have been saved to bring down warranty pricing index. Yeah sounds messed up but it all has to be taken in to consideration

BeEvil
09-16-2009, 08:02 AM
They can't just take order in a headlamp because of the price and once they have it and don't use it its a burden for the dealerr to sit on such a high valued part. Tjats the way it is at my dealer. But if we sit on the part for to long I think 3 months at max it gets sent back to the warehouse but its still X amount of dollars that could have been saved to bring down warranty pricing index. Yeah sounds messed up but it all has to be taken in to consideration

I totally understand. I just hate making an extra trip to the dealership. I'd rather just go in and get both replaced in one shot. It stands to reason that if one goes the other is going as well. Plus I had already mentioned to the service adviser that the other was on the way out. At night with the lights on you could tell it was getting fogged. But I couldn't demonstrate that during the day. Would have been nice to have them take my word for it, but a few bad apples ruin it for the rest of us. I just want to have a good relationship with the service department. Not that this has soured me, as I understand where they are coming from. Plus policy usually comes from the top. So not their fault.

BeEvil

TheMAN
09-16-2009, 03:12 PM
mazda dealers can always send back parts within a 30-45 day period with no penalty/handling/freight costs because mazda uses a dedicated delivery system, unlike some other smaller brands that depend on 3rd party commercial shippers (which then those dealers have to pay a shipper like UPS to return parts)

pacmann33
09-19-2009, 07:26 PM
Lars, how many kms on your car so far?

Glad to hear they are replacing them. Hope the replacements don't have the same issue! I will monitor my lights when I get the car next week.

vcp
09-19-2009, 08:36 PM
I am just shy of 17 000 km as well. I got the car used though and noticed it before picking the car up. It had 15 000 km at the time.

vcp
09-19-2009, 11:46 PM
I sure do.

davis
09-20-2009, 08:00 AM
Does that mean Mazda will issue letters of recalls soon?

There is a Transport Canada issued safety recall on the 2010 headlight issue

2010 Mazda3
Vehicles affected: 5,738
On certain vehicles, a part of the headlight housing where the daytime running light (DRL) bulb is attached may be damaged by heat from the bulb when the vehicle is left idling for an extended period, or while driving in slow-moving traffic. In the worst case, the housing may be deformed, resulting in bulb detachment. Dealers will repair the housing.

vcp
09-20-2009, 08:09 AM
Here are a few pics that I took and sent off to the dealership to hopefully expedite the repair/replacement.

Passenger side:

http://gallery.me.com/visualcravings/100005/passenger-headlight-fogging-melting-3/web.jpg?ver=12534482940001

http://gallery.me.com/visualcravings/100005/passenger-headlight-fogging-melting-2/web.jpg?ver=12534482910001

http://gallery.me.com/visualcravings/100005/passenger-headlight-fogging-melting-1/web.jpg?ver=12534482890001

Driver side:

http://gallery.me.com/visualcravings/100005/driverside-headlight-fogging-melting-2/web.jpg?ver=12534482810001

http://gallery.me.com/visualcravings/100005/driverside-headlight-fogging-melting-1/web.jpg?ver=12534482790001

McGuyver_3
09-20-2009, 01:45 PM
dam now i really want to inspect my headlights a little closer this is starting to get brutal :S

vcp
09-22-2009, 02:17 PM
I just got back from the dealership. They informed me that they have been notified by Mazda Canada that a Mazda recall is in the works. As well, corrected replacement assemblies are also in the works and should hopefully be sent out in the next few weeks.

pacmann33
09-22-2009, 02:30 PM
That is fantastic news! Glad to hear they are working on/have already developed corrected headlights for our cars!

JadeButterfly
09-22-2009, 02:39 PM
will they replace the headlight if there is no problem, and your VIN falls under the recall?

vcp
09-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Barry, others may correct me if I'm wrong but I am pretty sure that as long as your VIN falls under the recall they should replace them.

pacmann33
09-22-2009, 03:12 PM
You are correct, even if there is no visible problem, every car with a VIN that falls under the recall WILL recieve the new headlights.

BeEvil
09-24-2009, 08:16 AM
Hi all,

So I had my headlight replaced yesterday. They are ordering the other side for me and should be in next week.

I only have one complaint. It has to do with the service advisers. When talking to them, while dropping off the car, I made the comment about the Transport Canada safety recall. They basically laughed at me. :flaming And said that there was no such thing and that it was only condensation in my headlight. I told them no, that it was due to melting of the lens. Again they snickered.

I don't get it. This isn't the first time they have done this. I try to help or point something out and they just ignore what I'm saying and make me feel like an idiot.

Prima Tech Aaron. What the F... is their problem? I don't have an issue with the mechanics, they seem to do a great job. But your service advisers are a bunch of twits. Especially Nevil. They really piss me off and I'm seriously considering taking my car elsewhere for any service. I'm sure they have ticked a few other clients off as well. Not good for business.

Prima Tech Aaron. Did you get to have a look at the melted headlight lens? You commented that you hadn't seen one yet.

BeEvil

pacmann33
09-24-2009, 08:54 AM
That is really unfortunate about your experience. Just get satisfaction on knowing that shortly they will be flooded with people coming in for the impending recall, they will feel kinda dumb for laughing lol.

The funny thing is, unless your headlights are the redesigned ones you will likely have to have them replaced again. Imagine the look on their faces when you mention the transport canada bulletin LOL!!!

BeEvil
09-24-2009, 09:07 AM
That is really unfortunate about your experience. Just get satisfaction on knowing that shortly they will be flooded with people coming in for the impending recall, they will feel kinda dumb for laughing lol.

The funny thing is, unless your headlights are the redesigned ones you will likely have to have them replaced again. Imagine the look on their faces when you mention the transport canada bulletin LOL!!!

Yah, I'll probably rub it in their noses. But really that's not my style. I just would like some respect. This is the second time they have snickered at me and in the end they end up doing exactly what I asked them to do in the first place. It's just disappointing. I want to feel comfortable dropping my car off with these people and when I get treated like this I just don't. I feel like I'm being treated like a child not an equal. Respect goes a long way, and right now I'm not feeling it.

BeEvil

2010M3Owner
07-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Just noticed the exact same thing on my 2010 this morning. Passenger side in just about the exact same spot as vcp. Called the dealership and according to my VIN, I am not under the recall notice issued for the HID problems. I have an appointment on Thursday to have the techs check the light, but it appears to me that the issue is ongoing........
I will post an update after my appointment on Thurs

2010M3Owner
07-30-2010, 09:43 AM
Went in on Thursday and they are replacing under warranty, no problems. Even they were a bit surprised as my vin is outside of the recall numbers but it is obviously the same issue. Wouldn't be to shocked to see the recall expanded.....

BeEvil
07-30-2010, 11:18 AM
Went in on Thursday and they are replacing under warranty, no problems. Even they were a bit surprised as my vin is outside of the recall numbers but it is obviously the same issue. Wouldn't be to shocked to see the recall expanded.....

Awesome news.

BeEvil

vcp
07-30-2010, 02:25 PM
Glad to hear they are covering it for you!

TheMAN
07-31-2010, 01:53 PM
think of how much money mazda would've saved by using the HIDs as DRLs instead of this halfassed separate bulb deal that brought this problem in the first place!

McGuyver_3
07-31-2010, 08:03 PM
think of how much money mazda would've saved by using the HIDs as DRLs instead of this halfassed separate bulb deal that brought this problem in the first place!

that would have been stupid even though higher end cars are starting this trend. Cheaper for mazda under warranty but more expensive for the customer in the long run.

TheMAN
08-07-2010, 07:38 PM
why do you think this? HID bulbs last a long time, and much longer than a halogen bulb that half the people out there don't bother replacing (especially the dedicated DRL ones)

McGuyver_3
08-08-2010, 06:56 PM
why do you think this? HID bulbs last a long time, and much longer than a halogen bulb that half the people out there don't bother replacing (especially the dedicated DRL ones)

There is absoloutely no need for the xenons to be running all the time. I work at a dealer where HID's are standard on almost every car and I see my fare share of problems with them especially the ones out of warranty. Customers fork out big money to replace these broken parts. Why would they keep them on so as customer comes back to the dealer and pay 200$ for 1 lousy stinking xenon bulb? where a halogen is worth what 25-30$ granted ebay has them for 60$ but guess what, your average customer doesnt know that. As a delaer you are not allowed to tell them ooo by the way go to ebay or pacific mall and get them as you can get a pair for a fraction of the price that we sell one at. What makes you think that if people are not willing to pay to get the halogens replaced that they will want to pay more for xenon repairs

TheMAN
08-10-2010, 06:10 AM
by your logic, there's no reason to run any headlights on all the time either, because as you said, people don't want to spend any money replacing their bulbs :loco

McGuyver_3
08-10-2010, 07:24 PM
DRL's imo are pointless thats what we have auto lights for. Make that feature standard as a huge percentage of cars already have it and you solve all your problems. In many states in the US they are not required DRL's. IMO they are just as useless as front plates which ruin the look of a car and aerodynamics

TheMAN
08-11-2010, 05:27 AM
yes, but the "D" in DRL means "daytime"... they are not meant for night time use... therefore, auto lights and DRLs are mutually exclusive.... are DRLs useless? pretty much for the populated parts of canada, and all of the US save for alaska.... only those few areas of the world that experience winter twilight/darkness for months on end really need DRLs (such as far northern europe and russia)... DRL fanboys need not reply as the studies shown in north america are pretty inconclusive as to whether they provided any real safety improvements or not

2010M3Owner
08-12-2010, 01:41 PM

Got the work done. All seems well, but it was quite a big job in the end. I think I saw somewhere else that it was a pretty big deal to replace the lens so I was expecting it, but they had to pull the entire bumper off and then re-wire the whole works as the replacement was basically just the lens......... Took them about 2-2.5 hrs. I certainly hope this fixes the problem though. I REALLY don't want to get stuck replacing these outside of warranty. The bill came to about 900.00 (of course after the warranty deduction it was 0.00)!

vcp
08-12-2010, 11:39 PM
Yeah they also put a resistor inline to lower the power output of the bulbs. I noticed a pretty big difference in light output at night after the lenses were replaced. They haven't fogged again though so thats a good thing!

TheMAN
08-13-2010, 06:57 AM
big difference? for better or for worse?
the resistor is only for the DRL bulbs

vcp
08-13-2010, 11:17 AM
Not what the dealership told me. Yeah, there are lots of roads in my area without street lights. I definitely noticed the headlights were not as bright when compared to pre lens and recall fix. I'm not a mechanic but I do know light. My headlights are not throwing the same brightness of light that they used to.

McGuyver_3
08-14-2010, 03:08 AM
good possibility they changed the projectors up from the older style to the newer style. Infinity had a huge recal on headlights because they were "to bright" and they updated with lower light output ones

2zoom
08-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Same thing is happening on my 2010 speed 3 went to Mazda and they are replacing both light assembles on Monday no questions asked.... They are aware of the problem already

SammyBros
08-23-2010, 04:27 PM
That's not even bad lol you should see mine.. so your saying that is covered? So if I go back to Agincourt Mazda where I bought the car they should replace them? because I do not want to get my HID kit to have the bulbs get condensation on them..

I figure it was caused from the head of the lights to the cold temperatures of the winter. I have also seen this occur on peoples fogs but you have the option to turn them off. This is why I would like to get the HID kit so I do not have DRL.

Anyway thanks for the post if any of you know anything about why my trunk on my 2005 GT hatchback would not open let me know... I am having an issue.

McGuyver_3
08-24-2010, 05:33 AM
if you have an 05 then your warranty is already over and it will NOT be covered. But if you have a 10 then more then likely it will be covered (should only affect the 10 GT headlights though). BUT this is an actual haze from the headlights bulbs running to hot and burning, Mazdas fix is to put a resistor in the harness to reducde the power of the drls. The fogs hazing that is actual condensation because the seals for the bulbs are shady on the aftermarket bulbs.
Your trunk issue sounds like it could be either a wiring issue or a trunk lock actuator a faulty micro switch but hard to say without physically looking at it

pacmann33
08-28-2010, 02:49 PM
Dangit...mine are BOTH frosted/melted now...I haven't done much summertime driving in the daytime until now. I'm on vacation home in NB so I'll have to take my car to Northwood Mazda in Barrie. Hopefully they are aware of the issue. My car is also POST RECALL so this is obviously going to get expensive for Mazda.

Once i get them replaced I am going to immediately Xpel both headlights (held off on the Xpel for this very reason) and change the DRL bulbs to LED units..I just hope they seal out moisture like the OEM bulbs do. This will eliminate the heat problem that the halogens inherently have.

Unfortunately I won't be back in Ontario until after Labour day.

Anyone else have this problem and go to Northwood Mazda in Barrie?

McGuyver_3
08-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Dangit...mine are BOTH frosted/melted now...I haven't done much summertime driving in the daytime until now. I'm on vacation home in NB so I'll have to take my car to Northwood Mazda in Barrie. Hopefully they are aware of the issue. My car is also POST RECALL so this is obviously going to get expensive for Mazda.

Once i get them replaced I am going to immediately Xpel both headlights (held off on the Xpel for this very reason) and change the DRL bulbs to LED units..I just hope they seal out moisture like the OEM bulbs do. This will eliminate the heat problem that the halogens inherently have.

Unfortunately I won't be back in Ontario until after Labour day.

Anyone else have this problem and go to Northwood Mazda in Barrie?

The expel will not make a difference as the so called frosting (which by the way is removable if you bake the light open) is from the inside cause by the h8 bulb for the drl. the bulb gets to hot and starts burning causing a sort of haze/powder. This is the result of using a cheap bulb. They use bulbs from osram which even cars at my work are equipped with which are now being replaced with phillips bulbs.
Dealer installs the new lights and puts a miesly sticker on their saying the bulbs are "speacial bulbs" which is a pile of crap. All they are, are bulbs from phillips nothing special about them dont be fooled. the dealer also instals a inline T harness with a resistor to reduce the brightness of the bulb.

Redundant. When your headlight modules are replaced, they're replaced with updated units that don't have the same problem; therefore, you don't need to change out the DRL's which are 'causing the problem.'

They are replacing the bulbs that are the problem and adding in the inline T resistor harness. The headlights themselves are NOT the issue

pacmann33
08-30-2010, 09:47 AM
Yeah the xpel is just to prevent stone chips, I just didn't want to pay all that money to install the xpel and then just have the headlights replaced LOL!

My car is post recall, I would have thought the inline resistor would have been part of the recall?

What dealerships so far are well aware of this issue and have replaced headlight modules on the "frosty" 2010's? We should get a list going. I hate arguing with service advisors (though I haven't had to since I've owned a mazda yet...I've been very impressed thus far).

pacmann33
08-30-2010, 09:49 AM
I should also mention that I need my drivers side rear door lock solenoid replaced. It intermittently "squaks" when I unlock the doors. Makes me wonder how long before the rest of them go too LOL!

2010M3Owner
09-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Got my work done at Achilles in Milton. No issues. At first they told me that my car was not part of the recall, but as soon as they saw the lights, they ordered the parts and replaced them without any issues at all.

2zoom
09-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Just an update Mazda Canada will be adding the 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 to the recall list also. Mine is going in on Saturday to change the headlights

Mr Wilson
09-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Was washing one of the family cars this weekend and noticed that both passenger and driver side headlights were both foggy (GT model). Car was built in Jan or Feb this year. Phoning the dealer Tuesday, so fingers crossed everything will go smoothly.

McGuyver_3
09-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Was washing one of the family cars this weekend and noticed that both passenger and driver side headlights were both foggy (GT model). Car was built in Jan or Feb this year. Phoning the dealer Tuesday, so fingers crossed everything will go smoothly.

you should have no issues as when a problem becomes more and more common people tend to not ask any questions and just repair what needs to be repaired. To bad mazda doesnt make an oven big enough to fit the housings in and distribute them to the dealers. This would save mazda a fortune on headlights

p-o-g-i
09-05-2010, 11:51 PM
My 2010 hatch was a post recall vehicle, but still had the problem. Joe (MoT) can confirm that condition mine were in was the worst he has ever seen. I was even at Aut-Links one time to get the ride tinted, and John could smell the lenses/ housing smoking even with the hood shut.

Had the housing replaced through dealership.

chan7
09-07-2010, 08:24 AM
Hey All,

I recently noticed my headlight frosting as well, took it to the dealership (markham) and they have confirmed but has to order to part for replacement. I was wondering how long you have waited for your replacement headlight? its been about 2 weeks for me now and not sure if its normal?

viethoang
09-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Get it replaced on warranty if at all possible since your car is pretty new.

Otherwise, you're stuck with a DIY.

-remove the headlights, covers, bulbs etc.
-put headlights in sun to evap the moisture/water
-reseal the joints (plastic cover to headlights) with some clear silicone

After I did this, the problem went away (cross fingers), so far so good.

Good Luck!

viethoang
09-07-2010, 09:38 AM
EDIT - bottom post is for condensation. melting headlights - must be a recall or upgrade to HID, they have a lower wattage output during use (equals less heat output to melt your lens)

Get it replaced on warranty if at all possible since your car is pretty new.

Otherwise, you're stuck with a DIY.

-remove the headlights, covers, bulbs etc.
-put headlights in sun to evap the moisture/water
-reseal the joints (plastic cover to headlights) with some clear silicone

After I did this, the problem went away (cross fingers), so far so good.

Good Luck!

McGuyver_3
09-07-2010, 08:07 PM
EDIT - bottom post is for condensation. melting headlights - must be a recall or upgrade to HID, they have a lower wattage output during use (equals less heat output to melt your lens)

The HID's are not the problem for the frosting in the headlights it is the DRL's thats why mazda installed an inline resistor and went from osram to phillips bulbs. There is no condensation their is an actual smoke mist in the lights

p-o-g-i
09-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Hey All,

I recently noticed my headlight frosting as well, took it to the dealership (markham) and they have confirmed but has to order to part for replacement. I was wondering how long you have waited for your replacement headlight? its been about 2 weeks for me now and not sure if its normal?

The dealership I went to had to order them as well, but it only took a couple of days.

chan7
09-07-2010, 10:33 PM
The dealership I went to had to order them as well, but it only took a couple of days.

Hey Pogi,

thanks for the info. wondering if it makes any difference with the xenon headlight or not?

McGuyver_3
09-08-2010, 05:55 AM
Hey Pogi,

thanks for the info. wondering if it makes any difference with the xenon headlight or not?

You could have come at a bad time and parts are comming in from BC its nothing out of the ordinary

chan7
09-08-2010, 03:04 PM
You could have come at a bad time and parts are comming in from BC its nothing out of the ordinary

Hi McGuyver... thanks for the heads up, puts a sign of relief for me. Hopefully they will contact me soon

McGuyver_3
09-09-2010, 06:24 AM
Hi McGuyver... thanks for the heads up, puts a sign of relief for me. Hopefully they will contact me soon

Or just call the dealer, could be they have not had a chance to call you as they may be super busy. who knows

2zoom
09-09-2010, 03:45 PM
so just an update....I had both headlight assemblies replaced along with the lights and I'm noticing a big difference in light output....Not a happy camper....

vcp
09-09-2010, 04:38 PM
so just an update....I had both headlight assemblies replaced along with the lights and I'm noticing a big difference in light output....Not a happy camper....

Adjust the angle of your headlights a little higher, that helps a little.

pacmann33
09-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Drove by my dealership today...saw my car in the parking lot with 2 brand new headlight lenses, took less than 48 hours. My car is still there though, getting a rear door lock solenoid replaced also, and I ahd them test drive it cold to feel the crappy 6speed 1-2 shift...I want a paper trail in case the synchro goes totally.

Anyone else find the 6 speed in the 2.5 unacceptable? I HATE mine. HATE it.

Thread jack over!

As you were!

McGuyver_3
09-09-2010, 11:42 PM
Drove by my dealership today...saw my car in the parking lot with 2 brand new headlight lenses, took less than 48 hours. My car is still there though, getting a rear door lock solenoid replaced also, and I ahd them test drive it cold to feel the crappy 6speed 1-2 shift...I want a paper trail in case the synchro goes totally.

Anyone else find the 6 speed in the 2.5 unacceptable? I HATE mine. HATE it.

Thread jack over!

As you were!

I have had my tranny rebuilt 1 time already for shift in to 2 and 5 grinding and Reverse not going in properly. That was at 12k kmago, now i am at 38k km and grinding in 5th is back but everytime the desaler has it they annot duplicate it.

hit26k
09-11-2010, 02:10 PM
went to wash the car this morning and sure enough I see condensation build up in the headlights....:bang

I'll be adding my name to this list as the dealer has now ordered a new set of headlights for me and will be replacing them soon. Damn, I thought I was one of the lucky ones...:(

chan7
09-13-2010, 03:03 PM
went to wash the car this morning and sure enough I see condensation build up in the headlights....:bang

I'll be adding my name to this list as the dealer has now ordered a new set of headlights for me and will be replacing them soon. Damn, I thought I was one of the lucky ones...:(

LOL.. I had the same bad luck! (different scenario) went in to claim one headlight about the frosting, sure enough, I recently saw my other headlight was doing the same thing. Called the service manager and he quickly informed me that its back ordered and sometimes could wait about 5 weeks for a replacement depending on stock. He mentioned that to save time he would add the other headlight to the list so that I wouldn't have the hassel to come in until everything was there.

hit26k
09-13-2010, 03:31 PM
LOL.. I had the same bad luck! (different scenario) went in to claim one headlight about the frosting, sure enough, I recently saw my other headlight was doing the same thing. Called the service manager and he quickly informed me that its back ordered and sometimes could wait about 5 weeks for a replacement depending on stock. He mentioned that to save time he would add the other headlight to the list so that I wouldn't have the hassel to come in until everything was there.

I drove to the dealership right away after seeing it. Both headlights have condensation for me at the same time. Dealer said it would take a 2-3 days for the parts to come in.

chan7
09-13-2010, 11:55 PM
I drove to the dealership right away after seeing it. Both headlights have condensation for me at the same time. Dealer said it would take a 2-3 days for the parts to come in.

Are you serious? The service manager told me it takes long because of back orders. Its almost been 3 weeks now, wondering if their bsing me? Should or could I take it to another dealership?

McGuyver_3
09-14-2010, 12:27 AM
Are you serious? The service manager told me it takes long because of back orders. Its almost been 3 weeks now, wondering if their bsing me? Should or could I take it to another dealership?

backorder means parts are comming in from japan. So 3 weeks seems normal. depends on how many people are ahead of you to receive new lights aswell and depending on how backed up the manufacturer that makes the product is. Do not go to another dealer because then the dealer will be stuck with stock they do not need. Just wait it out

chan7
09-14-2010, 08:13 AM
backorder means parts are comming in from japan. So 3 weeks seems normal. depends on how many people are ahead of you to receive new lights aswell and depending on how backed up the manufacturer that makes the product is. Do not go to another dealer because then the dealer will be stuck with stock they do not need. Just wait it out

Thanks McGuyver, I'll just waited out like you've mentioned. Guess my concern is because of some negative feedback of the dealership and they've screwed me once already.

2zoom
09-14-2010, 03:03 PM
When I had my lights assemblies replaced last week it only took a few days for Mazda to get them in stock.

wilboy
09-21-2010, 11:18 AM
I took mine to the dealers yesterday and told me they need to order it but should only take 1 day. This morning already received a call telling me i can schedule my appointment. Mine is going in during lunch time and should get it back when i get off .... =D

hit26k
09-21-2010, 11:44 AM
I took mine to the dealers yesterday and told me they need to order it but should only take 1 day. This morning already received a call telling me i can schedule my appointment. Mine is going in during lunch time and should get it back when i get off .... =D

thats what you call good dealer service. I ordered my headlights and they came in 2 days later but I was never told. I only found out after going in and asking. Needless to say, I've booked an appointment this Saturday....

wilboy
09-21-2010, 09:36 PM
Just an update.... definitely its good dealer service, i got a ride to and from work (dealer courtesy car), car was washed, smiling driver even thou i was late 10 minutes, everything was done within 4 hrs.

but back to the fix, i dont like the new headlights, I noticed a very big difference in the light output... oh well i guess thats going to be another mod.... =D

chan7
09-23-2010, 02:48 PM
Just an update...went to the dealership today to get both headlights fixed under warranty, after 2.5 hours waiting it was finally done. As I made my inspections of both headlights, there were scratched as if the headlights were used or taken off another car. They claim it was straight from the box, but agreed that this was not correct and ordered me another headlight. I'm just so fustrated that someone doesn't look at the parts before either calling me or replacing the parts on the car.

raghtal
09-23-2010, 02:58 PM
Did the dealer confirm that it is condensation and not something that is the result of bulb heat discharge?
Don't HIDs produce less heat output than halogens? They consume less power....

raghtal
09-23-2010, 03:18 PM
It is the DRL's that produce the 'frosting' in the headlight assemblies, not the xenon bulbs.

Oh? And this has been confirmed via a technical service bulletin from Mazda?

McGuyver_3
09-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Oh? And this has been confirmed via a technical service bulletin from Mazda?

Yes that is why on most affected vehicles an inline resistor is added in and the drl bulbs are changed from osram to phillips bulbs like i stated earlier. I have taken a fogged up housing apart before and yes it is the drl bulb

raghtal
09-23-2010, 11:54 PM
Yes that is why on most affected vehicles an inline resistor is added in and the drl bulbs are changed from osram to phillips bulbs like i stated earlier. I have taken a fogged up housing apart before and yes it is the drl bulb

Thanks. Didn't realize this was a six page thread. I read it from the beginning, woah. My GT only has 1000kms on it. I'll get mine checked out.

hit26k
09-24-2010, 09:19 AM
Thanks. Didn't realize this was a six page thread. I read it from the beginning, woah. My GT only has 1000kms on it. I'll get mine checked out.

mine were good until i hit about 7000km. and then yea....:bang

raghtal
09-24-2010, 10:36 AM
I know there is a point where the honeymoon period with your new car ends. It's usually the first snap back to reality that your chariot is an engineered work of mechanical limitations that will fail you.

In reading about the 'fix' how do the more mechanically inclined feel about the 'solution'. Seems "stop gap" and "cost-containment" centric.

hit26k
09-29-2010, 09:39 AM
update:

So I took my car into the dealership to have the headlights changed. I picked up the car this morning and no condensation, great. While I was driving to work, I decided to test out the HID's and it turns out that the passenger Bi-Xenon is half the brightness of my driver side. I don't know what the issue could be but I called the dealer back and the car is going back in Saturday for them to have a look at. I'm a little frustrated but shit happens. I'll post another update come Saturday.

Thrizzl3
09-29-2010, 09:41 AM
better enjoy the GX while you can...karmas a bitch when you make fun of my trim :)

hit26k
09-29-2010, 10:27 AM
better enjoy the GX while you can...karmas a bitch when you make fun of my trim :)

LOL I have my car back now i just hate having to take it back :(

pacmann33
09-30-2010, 05:58 AM
Can anyone who is POST recall who had the philips bulbs from the beginning confirm as to whether or not the dealer still installed the inline resistors. Thanks to a friend I was able to get my hands on a brand new set. I just don't know if I should install them. Is the replaced headlight bucket actually any different than the one that melted? If not then I'll defly install them.

hit26k
10-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Update:

so after almost two weeks, and four trips back and forth to the dealer, my headlights are finally fixed. I won't really know until I drive at night but since the initial replacement, I haven't had any issues in regards to frost/condensation build up.

McGuyver_3
10-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Argh - both my headlights are starting to see the same problem again. Not happy. Back to the dealer...

Just pull the drl/ars fuse problem solved lol Then do the indy fog mod. i know how to do it now on the 2010's Its alot more work and material (the whole bumper HAS to come off) but its worth it

pacmann33
10-16-2010, 02:54 PM
I'm getting LED DRL....that will fix the problem.

zzz3
10-20-2010, 10:28 PM
From people's reports, this seems to only affect GT models with bi-xenon lamps. Are there any GX/GS 2010 owners with this issue?

is this frosting or something else (im such a noob)?

http://imgur.com/EGt6L.jpg (http://imgur.com/EGt6L.jpg)

http://imgur.com/xDQz3.jpg (http://imgur.com/xDQz3.jpg)

McGuyver_3
10-20-2010, 11:58 PM
Nope that is normal what you are seeing. look at page one of this very thread and you will see pictures of the melting frosting.

HOWEVER what this frosting is, is the bulb burning to hot causing a white smoke covering the inner side of the lense. now if you were to bake open the light yourself then yes you would be able to fix this problem yourself BUT because these issues are dealer warrantied why bother just take it to the dealer

TayTay
10-28-2010, 07:54 AM
Just noticed I have the same problem (only on the passenger side, so far). I went to Mazda Toronto and the service advisor (Ken) thinks it's dirt trapped inside the plastic lens cover and I said you must be kidding me and told him that it's burnt mark. He suggested that his foreman & service tech need to have a more in-depth look at it.

McGuyver_3:
What do you suggest I should say to the service tech & foreman in regards to this problem and to justify they should replace the entire unit under warranty.

McGuyver_3
10-28-2010, 12:38 PM
I would recommend you ask to see the service manager and get him to go out with you as their word usually have lots of pull. The dealer should be aware of this problem as they have probably replaced stack loads of headlights for this very reason. I bet a lot of our forum members have had theirs done at MoT aswel. Where I work if a customer complains about it and it is common and we can replicate it then yes it will get fixed replaced or whatever the case is. Since their is no other fix then replacing in your case I don't see why they are giving you a hard time.
Get the service manager involved but very big factor is stay polite. Do not throw the forum at them as dealers dread forums. You can mention that their was either a bulletin or recall for the headlights as a result of the problem you are experiencing. They may try to tell you that your car is not part of the recall but you just inform them politely that no it is not part of the recal but obviously I am having the same issues. Most important thing is stay polite I cannot stress that enough. The squeaky wheel gets the grease the people that rant and rave and blow up often get told to leave and not return to that dealer lol.

TayTay
10-28-2010, 03:01 PM
Thanks for your comment. McGuyver_3.

I have an appointment this Saturday and let see what the service tech says first and then I will take it from there.

Otherwise, I will have to visit another Mazda dealer to get this look at.

rgray
10-28-2010, 11:46 PM
Hey Guys,

Just to add my experience... I was in Avante Mazda yesterday for my 1 year service, and forgot to mention to them that I noticed this exact problem on my 3. Passenger side only, almost identical to BeEvil's shots on page one, but not as extreme. I called the service centre today and spoke with Antonio. I offered to email a picture, but he said they can swap it out (warranty) no problem, and it should take about an hour. Bought my 3 there and they have been great, no hassle.

TayTay
10-31-2010, 08:49 AM
Update on the dealer visit:

Dealer agrees to replace the melted/frosted headlight unit under warranty. But I addressed the question of adding the resistor to the bulb would prevent this from happening again and the service tech says no need to do that at all. I did mentioned the cause would be the DRL bulb is running too hot.

McGuyver_3: What do you think is the proper way of addressing this issue from happening again ? Should I insist they add the resistor or not to the DRL bulb or alternatively, should I get a better bulb (aftermarket) ?

McGuyver_3
10-31-2010, 09:05 AM
Update on the dealer visit:

Dealer agrees to replace the melted/frosted headlight unit under warranty. But I addressed the question of adding the resistor to the bulb would prevent this from happening again and the service tech says no need to do that at all. I did mentioned the cause would be the DRL bulb is running too hot.

McGuyver_3: What do you think is the proper way of addressing this issue from happening again ? Should I insist they add the resistor or not to the DRL bulb or alternatively, should I get a better bulb (aftermarket) ?

Since the issue is addressed to certain cars with certain production dates they will not add in the resistors. Mazda claims that in the production after the affected group that they already have a fix in place for that. I would take the new housings and be done with it. If it happens again their is always warranty to fall back to. Mazda has started using phillips bulbs over the osram. I would just wait it out and see what happens. Mind you though I have disconnected my drls anyway. Its a relay you have to pull in the fuse box that is called DRL/MRS. Their are no warning indicators for my airbag system so I assume everything is allright.

TayTay
10-31-2010, 11:49 AM
McGuyver_3: Much appreciate for all advises & comments. I will let the deler repalce the unit and hope this will not happen again.

What do you think about disabling the DRL in the headlight and using the fog as the new full time DRL ? Good idea or bad ? I am thinking of asking 'Street Performance' at Woodbine/Dension to do the job for this so-called re-routing of DRL.

pacmann33
10-31-2010, 01:11 PM
They don't install the resistors if your car was post recall for the first batch of mazda 3's. From what I'm hearing...it WILL happen again...so I decided to buy 15$ LED H8 DRL's on ebay to permanently fix the problem. very simple, and looks great if you get nice bright white ones! wait till they replace both of your headlights...then switch to LED DRL's and add laminX film to protect from stone chips.

Trinidad
11-03-2010, 06:07 PM
I noticed this issue when I last washed my car back in September. I didn't think it was a problem until I came across this thread. Called up Erin mills and they are going to get it replaced. However I can live with the slightly frosted look but I don't want less output from the HID's. Anyone who has had this done can you comment if the HID output is less? I know some have already mentioned that. If that's the case I wonder if I can get them to just replace the DRL bulb and put the resistor in if required.

Crocodilehunter17
02-07-2011, 02:21 PM
I have a 2010 Mazda 3 Sport GT.....bought new last October. At 30000km (June) I started noticing the frosting....first on one and then on both lenses. I spoke to my dealer in September and after they looked at the car advised me that they are aware of the lenses melting and will replace the lenses under warranty. My concerns are that the replacement lenses solve the problem because after warranty runs out....soon....I will be footing the bill. The advice I can give is document everything and keep all bills and receipts for future reference. The only other concern is the odd OEM tire size....hard to find enough brands in that size that the prices are discounted. Anyone else find the same thing?

McGuyver_3
02-07-2011, 02:36 PM
First off welcome, secondly never cheap out on tires and brakes 2 most important things. Winter tires are a must in my books. The frosting is fixable if you crack the housings open and wipe them clean. Its not a dealer thing its an aftermarket thing. If the dealers are aware if the problem and they see in the history that you had them replaced already. As long as their is a documented paper trail you are fine either way. I never had the problem because both
My 10 s got the fix and the new bulbs before anything was able to happen.

hit26k
02-07-2011, 02:53 PM
First off welcome, secondly never cheap out on tires and brakes 2 most important things. Winter tires are a must in my books. The frosting is fixable if you crack the housings open and wipe them clean. Its not a dealer thing its an aftermarket thing. If the dealers are aware if the problem and they see in the history that you had them replaced already. As long as their is a documented paper trail you are fine either way. I never had the problem because both
My 10 s got the fix and the new bulbs before anything was able to happen.

Dan, you had frosting on the Speed too? Damn...

McGuyver_3
02-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Dan, you had frosting on the Speed too? Damn...

I honestly couldn't tell you they were installed when I got the car. Never had a problem with my sedan though as I disconnected the drls right from day one. But the recal was done regardless.

hit26k
02-07-2011, 03:28 PM
I honestly couldn't tell you they were installed when I got the car. Never had a problem with my sedan though as I disconnected the drls right from day one. But the recal was done regardless.

I see. Do you find the light output of the HID's to be significantly lower than before? After my I had my headlights replaced, the Bi-Xenon's don't seem as bright.

McGuyver_3
02-07-2011, 03:38 PM
I never had headlight replacements before and I modified my lights. I aimed them professionally the way they are meant to be aimed. I also finishEd my projector fog mod and barely use the headlights because the fogs have a huge impact on the ground lighting. I still have a few clouded up headlights I got my hands on off eBay which are in the tampering customizing stages.

hit26k
02-07-2011, 03:42 PM
I never had headlight replacements before and I modified my lights. I aimed them professionally the way they are meant to be aimed. I also finishEd my projector fog mod and barely use the headlights because the fogs have a huge impact on the ground lighting. I still have a few clouded up headlights I got my hands on off eBay which are in the tampering customizing stages.

gotcha! Possible angel eyes again?

McGuyver_3
02-07-2011, 03:58 PM
gotcha! Possible angel eyes again?

I had a set on my sedan but due to tampering I killed the rings. I still have those headlights. Problem is they were leaking due to shitty reseal. I have a new method to get the lights in my oven but with little time and always selling my ring kits I never get around to redoing this.

FLIPDADY
02-12-2011, 01:19 PM
I just had my bi-xenon lamps replaced for the second time today; let's hope it's the last time I need them swapped out. (Under warranty due to internal condensation build up.)
Did they also install the new headlamp resistors? If they didn't your car will continue to have this issue.

Check on both side fender areas for a rectangular resistor and a label. See pic below.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/AJBOY_99/resistorkit.jpg

FLIPDADY
02-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Did they change the original bulbs as well?

oxide
03-17-2011, 02:12 PM
dealership won't replace my headlights and they've been bad since i bought the car 2 months, any suggestions for sucking/blowing air into the headlamp assembly to dry it out then try to seal it before i take the bumper off and disassemble the headlamnp to try and fix it?

McGuyver_3
03-17-2011, 11:32 PM
it is a dusty haze material that is inside the lights. unfortunatly compressed air will do only so much. In order to do it properly you need to seperate the lense apart and wipe them clean. Unfortunatly this WILL void your warranty. dealer not wanting to replace, try another dealer or call mazda canada and say listen, you know their is a problem, my headlights are affected and the dealer does not want to do anything. I am sure they will be able to help you out as it is a warranty claim. If your car is within bumper to bumper 3 year plan or the extended 6 year bumper to bumper warranty

oxide
03-21-2011, 09:42 PM
it was a warm day today so i got a plastic hose and attached it to my wet/dry vac and sucked up the excess in the corner and blew air into it as well, of course the plastic hose left some markings inside (oh goody) but it looks way better now, but since it'll freeze again tonight it'll be back i'm sure, i guess until warm weather will i be able to determine if there is a seal issue or not but it didn't seem like it now

peterm15
03-21-2011, 10:11 PM
happened on the driver side of my moms jeep.
made them replace both cause they said "it was a problem"

fuhreakz
05-15-2011, 12:24 PM
I just got mine replaced 2 weeks ago. Driving to Niagara falls last week at night I noticed what I can only describe as missing light. What I mean by that is, the light that should be projected in front of my car, is on the ground for about 3 feet in front of the car, then there is an area shaped like R6 headlights or those grey alien eyes you'd see in photos. The majority of the light looks like its pointing towards the left and right lanes beside me, almost as if the beams are crossing. However if I drive up to a wall, the light looks normal, minus the ugly yellow that is now at the top of the beam :(

Anyhow, I've taken it back to the dealer and the technician that performed the replacement said he didn't aim them and he doesn't see anything wrong. grrrrrr..... Now they tell me there is a part they have to get me that is defective, but the service adviser couldn't provide me with the information as to what the part is and/or does.

Anyone else notice issues with light output after they've been swapped?

melissa
05-15-2011, 02:14 PM
I just got mine replaced 2 weeks ago. Driving to Niagara falls last week at night I noticed what I can only describe as missing light. What I mean by that is, the light that should be projected in front of my car, is on the ground for about 3 feet in front of the car, then there is an area shaped like R6 headlights or those grey alien eyes you'd see in photos. The majority of the light looks like its pointing towards the left and right lanes beside me, almost as if the beams are crossing. However if I drive up to a wall, the light looks normal, minus the ugly yellow that is now at the top of the beam :(

Anyhow, I've taken it back to the dealer and the technician that performed the replacement said he didn't aim them and he doesn't see anything wrong. grrrrrr..... Now they tell me there is a part they have to get me that is defective, but the service adviser couldn't provide me with the information as to what the part is and/or does.

Anyone else notice issues with light output after they've been swapped?

I have this. Going to MoT tomorrow to see if they can fix it.

fuhreakz
05-15-2011, 02:15 PM
I have this. Going to MoT tomorrow to see if they can fix it.

Lemme know what they say if you wouldn't mind

melissa
05-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Lemme know what they say if you wouldn't mind

Sure np! I just haven't figured out how I'm going to show them the issue in broad daylight lol...

melissa
05-16-2011, 09:35 PM
Sure np! I just haven't figured out how I'm going to show them the issue in broad daylight lol...

It was just a matter of re-aiming the headlights. Don't know if light output is decreased, don't remember what they were like before.

loosecannon
05-29-2011, 10:37 PM
Big problem.

After the Shine 'n' Show at Lakeshore today, I went back to Brampton where my girlfriend started practicing her parallel parking for her G test. After about an hour of practicing, I noticed something strange about my headlights. After a closer look...

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/3240/20110529205244.jpg
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/9564/20110529205305.jpg

Notice that infront of the projector, it's clear, but everything next to it and infront of the switchback LEDs, it's foggy. What worries me is that this does not look like condensation (hell, it didn't even rain before this). It actually looks like what everyone in the thread have mentioned, but at a different location, and a bigger area...

Also, if this is the actual burning/fogging problem, I can't replace this under warranty... FML :bang

loosecannon
05-30-2011, 01:46 PM
Big problem.

After the Shine 'n' Show at Lakeshore today, I went back to Brampton where my girlfriend started practicing her parallel parking for her G test. After about an hour of practicing, I noticed something strange about my headlights. After a closer look...

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/3240/20110529205244.jpg
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/9564/20110529205305.jpg

Notice that infront of the projector, it's clear, but everything next to it and infront of the switchback LEDs, it's foggy. What worries me is that this does not look like condensation (hell, it didn't even rain before this). It actually looks like what everyone in the thread have mentioned, but at a different location, and a bigger area...

Also, if this is the actual burning/fogging problem, I can't replace this under warranty... FML :bang

Bump.

Am I SOL?

BeEvil
05-30-2011, 01:50 PM
Bump.

Am I SOL?

Why wouldn't it be covered under warrantee or a recall?

BeEvil

hit26k
05-30-2011, 01:54 PM
Why wouldn't it be covered under warrantee or a recall?

BeEvil

He's opened up the housing for Angel Eyes. Unless he puts the headlights back to stock, the dealer won't cover the repair/fix.

Calvin, I know its going to be a pain in the a$$ but put the headlights back to stock, only then will they fix it. Eventually, the dealer will replace them with whole new housings.

loosecannon
05-30-2011, 02:06 PM
He's opened up the housing for Angel Eyes. Unless he puts the headlights back to stock, the dealer won't cover the repair/fix.

Calvin, I know its going to be a pain in the a$$ but put the headlights back to stock, only then will they fix it. Eventually, the dealer will replace them with whole new housings.

Problem is, I had also replaced the stock projectors with TSX projectors. I guess I have no choice but to go this route...

Booter22
05-30-2011, 07:40 PM

...you guys know i am on your side and try to offer assistance where and when i can... but if (depending on the dealer) they look close enough to the lights the should be able to tell they have been seperated which in itself will not be covered by warranty.. not to mention there are a few of us that do follow the majority of online posts.. i dont want to say it but this is not the first car i have seen where the leds have burned the lens which is the main reason i didnt put leds in mine.. in a gt there is an update for the DRL which did cause this to happen as well (more often then not) for some reason the update if it was installed too late or what have you it didnt work and then the headlights would be replaced.

i do wish you the best of luck and hope you can get it fixed.

hit26k
07-31-2011, 11:52 AM
So I got to wash the car this morning in prep for claying the car. Sure enough, my passenger headlight fogged up AGAIN! Had both headlights replaced less than a year ago. F************************************************* *************************** :flaming:bang:rant

/end rant

2zoom
07-31-2011, 12:14 PM
So I got to wash the car this morning in prep for claying the car. Sure enough, my passenger headlight fogged up AGAIN! Had both headlights replaced less than a year ago. F************************************************* *************************** :flaming:bang:rant

/end rant

I know how you feel Hitesh I am having the same problem again on the drivers side headlight...:flaming I have appointment this Wednesday to have them replaced.... hopefully this will be the last time

pacmann33
07-31-2011, 02:02 PM
Guys...the only fix for this issue is to use LED DRLs.

The heat from the halogen is what does it. In the summer, city driving, the housings get hot. Once you get a fresh set of housings, get them laminX'd and install LED DRLs right away. Then the issue will not occur again. annoying that it is designed poorly but I think we have to live with it for now.

pacmann33
07-31-2011, 02:06 PM
Loosecannon, your headlights look like condensation, you don't have the GT housings that most are referring to here. The known issue is with the GT headlights.

If they are melting, Mazda shouldn't really be liable. It sucks but it is one of the dangers of modifying your new headlights.

pacmann33
07-31-2011, 02:13 PM
...you guys know i am on your side and try to offer assistance where and when i can... but if (depending on the dealer) they look close enough to the lights the should be able to tell they have been seperated which in itself will not be covered by warranty.. not to mention there are a few of us that do follow the majority of online posts.. i dont want to say it but this is not the first car i have seen where the leds have burned the lens which is the main reason i didnt put leds in mine.. in a gt there is an update for the DRL which did cause this to happen as well (more often then not) for some reason the update if it was installed too late or what have you it didnt work and then the headlights would be replaced.

i do wish you the best of luck and hope you can get it fixed.

Well said. I think you mean HIDs, not LEDs though. I hate it when I hear about modifications that lead to parts being replaced under warranty. It costs us all.

2zoom
08-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Just had my headlight assembly replaced again today:flaming.... I hope this is the last time!!!!!!!!!

mazdaman1982
10-05-2011, 12:14 AM
It's definitely not a leak and it's not burning either. It's a fogging. Which is exactly what is happening to others on the board. And I don't think it's from the heat of the bulb as my other light is just fine. I think it's just a bad batch of lenses.

Here are a few photos for reference.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/EvnEvlr/fog1.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/EvnEvlr/fog2.jpg

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/EvnEvlr/fog3.jpg

BeEvil

ya i own the exact same car but myn has Leather heated seats lol , the problem i got with my headlight lens's is i got moisture in my Lens's and i got the GT to , my dealer is looking into it , i bought the car brand exact one year this month about the end of this month and i am hoping they replace the lens's cause it just dont look good ether water and electric stuff dont mix :(

boyracer
10-05-2011, 05:47 AM
My passenger side headlamp housing is starting to fog up, time to take it in....

slam525i
10-05-2011, 01:37 PM
I already had mine in for the first recall, got the new-look headlights, and then had it in again last month when they started to do the same thing. I was told there was a sealing issue with the 2nd set and thus the fogging, but they looked just like the first set, with the same blurring at the same place, and it didn't look like moisture. 3 sets of headlights in less than 3 years. I hope this doesn't happen again after my warranty is up.

FreshTHREE
10-05-2011, 01:49 PM
I have the same problem. Dealer already checked them out and ordered new headlights. It's not condensation. It's literally burn marks from your HIDS.

2zoom
10-05-2011, 01:57 PM
Ding!!!!! Round 3, So just had my head light assemblies changed again hopefully 3rd time is a charm. This is starting to become a pain

Jackal
10-05-2011, 05:44 PM
As was mentioned get LED DRLs and the problem should not reoccur. Did it with mine and so far so good.

derekl
10-30-2011, 01:42 AM
I got one of my headlights changed about a month ago.
Normally there's a plastic piece that covers the hole (has a bunch of with warnings on it) where the HID bulbs go.
I saw today that it wasn't there and it's fully exposed (would this cause problems)?
Anyone else have their headlights without the plastic cover for their replacement headlight?

My other one has the cover.

Elusivellama
01-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Sort of an old-ish thread, but it was the first hit I got when I searched for the problem so I'm resurrecting it.

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab96/Elusivellama/IMG_1210_resize.jpg

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab96/Elusivellama/IMG_1212_resize.jpg

I have confirmed that it is not condensation because of the recent temperature swings and cold weather - no water droplets beading, etc. That is actual heat damage from the halogen DRL lamps. Looks like I'll be going to a dealer tomorrow to see about fixing this under warranty... in the meantime, I know a number of people have had this problem before and it has returned for some (if not all) of them.

nguy3nha
01-05-2012, 06:13 PM
im guessing this is only for 2010s? nobody with a 2011 has this issue is that right>?

Elusivellama
01-06-2012, 07:19 PM
Just had both headlight assemblies (the entire assembly, not just the covers) replaced under the 3 year 80,000km bumper to bumper warranty. I was reading the actual recall on the Transportation Canada database and it specifically mentions the DRL bulbs causing the heat damage when in stop-and-go traffic or idling for long periods. Of course, the recall was for the 2010 Mazda 3, and the 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 had no such recall listed even though the headlights are the same.

I'll probably end up getting LED DRLs so this issue will not happen again.

im guessing this is only for 2010s? nobody with a 2011 has this issue is that right>?

The Mazda solution is to put resistors to reduce the output of the halogen DRLs, but I can't see how this would solve it in the long term since halogens are much hotter than LEDs and you'll likely end up with the same problem after a while. I think it's just better to swap out the halogens for LED DRLs - they're $27 usd on ebay free shipping, so why not?

boyracer
01-06-2012, 08:13 PM
that reminds me that I need to get mine replaced this spring

2zoom
01-07-2012, 08:04 AM
Don't feel bad i'm already on my 3rd set of headlight assemblies. Mazda canada assured me that they now have corrected the problem.. We will just see about that because I just have had about enough of this issue....

pacmann33
01-07-2012, 09:08 AM
I switched to LED DRLs and haven not had the issue again, but then, I didn't use my car much this summer.

boyracer
01-07-2012, 10:30 AM
Don't feel bad i'm already on my 3rd set of headlight assemblies. Mazda canada assured me that they now have corrected the problem.. We will just see about that because I just have had about enough of this issue....

Ouch, 3rd set! That doesn't sound promising.

Elusivellama
01-07-2012, 12:17 PM

Here is the recall from Transportation Canada:

"On certain vehicles, a part of the headlight housing where the Daytime Running Light (DRL) bulb is attached may be damage by heat from the bulb when the vehicle is left idling for an extended period or while driving in slow-moving traffic. In the worst case, the housing may be deformed, resulting in bulb becoming detached and loss of DRL functionality. A loss of DRL illumination could render the vehicle less visible to other motorists and to pedestrians during daylight hours, possibly resulting in a crash causing personal injury or death. Correction: Dealers will affect repairs."

The DRL bulb is right where the heat damage occurs. Therefore removing the source of the heat should fix the problem.

TheMAN
01-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Just had both headlight assemblies (the entire assembly, not just the covers) replaced under the 3 year 80,000km bumper to bumper warranty. I was reading the actual recall on the Transportation Canada database and it specifically mentions the DRL bulbs causing the heat damage when in stop-and-go traffic or idling for long periods. Of course, the recall was for the 2010 Mazda 3, and the 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 had no such recall listed even though the headlights are the same.

I'll probably end up getting LED DRLs so this issue will not happen again.

The Mazda solution is to put resistors to reduce the output of the halogen DRLs, but I can't see how this would solve it in the long term since halogens are much hotter than LEDs and you'll likely end up with the same problem after a while. I think it's just better to swap out the halogens for LED DRLs - they're $27 usd on ebay free shipping, so why not?

MS3s are part of the recall... the VIN range covers the MS3 and there is no specific exclusions stated... the MS3 is considered a "mazda3" also for accounting and inventory purposes within Mazda, unlike the MS6 since that car was built in Japan with many things different unlike the US built 6

as a matter of fact, the 2010 HID headlights between the normal 3 and MS3s are exactly the same

Booter22
01-08-2012, 10:49 PM
MS3s are part of the recall... the VIN range covers the MS3 and there is no specific exclusions stated... the MS3 is considered a "mazda3" also for accounting and inventory purposes within Mazda, unlike the MS6 since that car was built in Japan with many things different unlike the US built 6

as a matter of fact, the 2010 HID headlights between the normal 3 and MS3s are exactly the same

a friend of mine's 2010 speed 3 lens was frosted and he didnt qualify for the recall. mazda only authorized to install the new light assembly not the recall parts. now the lights have been in for about 6 months or so with out issue, surprised me they didnt want to go the extra step to make sure that it didnt happen again and i am sure they had there reasons for it, but we will see what happens long term i suppose. just my :.02

Elusivellama
01-09-2012, 01:45 AM

When I spoke with the service adviser, he mentioned that my car had no recall listed for the headlights, my VIN didn't fall under a certain range. While I was waiting for the work to be done, I went to the TC website and searched the recall db for a 2010 MS3 but didn't find anything. I switched the search to a 2010 Mazda 3 and there it was.

And I do know the headlights are the same, why would they be any different?

mazda only authorized to install the new light assembly not the recall parts. now the lights have been in for about 6 months or so with out issue, surprised me they didnt want to go the extra step to make sure that it didnt happen again

That's what happened to me. By recall parts, I assume you mean a set of resistor cables to reduce the power of the DRLs. I looked over the new headlight assemblies and the DRL bulbs don't have the resistors shown in a pic that Flipdady posted a few pages back. So, as far as I'm concerned, it will only be a matter of time before it happens again assuming the special recall parts were not installed.

Booter22
01-09-2012, 02:00 AM
When I spoke with the service adviser, he mentioned that my car had no recall listed for the headlights, my VIN didn't fall under a certain range. While I was waiting for the work to be done, I went to the TC website and searched the recall db for a 2010 MS3 but didn't find anything. I switched the search to a 2010 Mazda 3 and there it was.

And I do know the headlights are the same, why would they be any different?

That's what happened to me. By recall parts, I assume you mean a set of resistor cables to reduce the power of the DRLs. I looked over the new headlight assemblies and the DRL bulbs don't have the resistors shown in a pic that Flipdady posted a few pages back. So, as far as I'm concerned, it will only be a matter of time before it happens again assuming the special recall parts were not installed.

It does seem all you can do is monitor it now. they may know something we dont. but i agree with you there is the chance of it returning if the recall parts are not installed. just make sure you keep an eye on it and follow up prior to any warranty periods ending.

Elusivellama
01-10-2012, 01:18 PM
It does seem all you can do is monitor it now. they may know something we dont. but i agree with you there is the chance of it returning if the recall parts are not installed. just make sure you keep an eye on it and follow up prior to any warranty periods ending.

Is the warranty on the headlights extended from when the replacements are installed, or does it all end when the 3yr/80k warranty period is up?

Booter22
01-10-2012, 01:51 PM
Is the warranty on the headlights extended from when the replacements are installed, or does it all end when the 3yr/80k warranty period is up?

no the warranty doesnt extend on warranty parts replaced, the lights still would be covered until the 3 years or 80,00 km warranty expires. however, i asked mazda if we are to replace the recall parts which they denied when we replaced my friends lights. so in future if he would be outside of warranty or anyone else that has the lights replaced and not the recall parts they may ( but dont hold it to me, quote me or say John Boot said you would :P ) i would think replace the lights within reason of the warranty expiry and install the recall parts.

but thats just opinion. hopefully mazda knows something that we / I do not know and why they would replace only the lights and not the recall parts.

has anyone had the lights replaced more then once and asked or had the recall parts installed?

however to date my friends have not had any note of failure, but i suppose time will tell.

Elusivellama
01-10-2012, 02:07 PM
I think it's just a case of following procedure. One is replaced under a TC recall and gets the recall parts, while the other is replaced under warranty but isn't listed under the recall. Both exhibit the same problem, but the initiative to fix it is different.

Booter22
01-10-2012, 02:10 PM
I think it's just a case of following procedure. One is replaced under a TC recall and gets the recall parts, while the other is replaced under warranty but isn't listed under the recall. Both exhibit the same problem, but the initiative to fix it is different.

agree, which makes me wonder how many of those who had had there lights replaced more than once that do not qualify for the recall parts and if they have asked or requested on the 2nd replacement to install the recall parts.

Elusivellama
02-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Old thread (kinda) but this is how LED DRLs look like (H8 sized):

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab96/Elusivellama/281d9ae7.jpg
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab96/Elusivellama/579f7465.jpg
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab96/Elusivellama/c3a5389e.jpg

This should resolve the frosting problem for good. My old halogen DRLs were a bit blackened (on the inside of bulb) when I removed them. The LEDs were bought from http://stores.ebay.com/ledautobulb. Superb customer service, too.

Ogata
02-24-2012, 07:00 AM
Old thread (kinda) but this is how LED DRLs look like (H8 sized):

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab96/Elusivellama/281d9ae7.jpg
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab96/Elusivellama/579f7465.jpg
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab96/Elusivellama/c3a5389e.jpg

This should resolve the frosting problem for good. My old halogen DRLs were a bit blackened (on the inside of bulb) when I removed them. The LEDs were bought from http://stores.ebay.com/ledautobulb. Superb customer service, too.

WHAT WHAT WHATTT? Those your DRLS? Damnn sucks to be a first gen for me unless I have a harness. How's the lighting output on those?

standsideways
02-24-2012, 09:31 AM
well they are DRL's so its not like hes gonna light up the road during the day. look at the pics, looking pretty bright to me!

looks good!

Elusivellama
02-24-2012, 03:35 PM
The pictures are misleading, sorry... I took the pic in my underground parking garage and while the lights are noticeable (as in, you can see the DRLs lit up just fine), the light appears more flared on the iPhone photo than it does in person. In other words, due to the way the iPhone 4S takes a picture, it appears brighter than it actually is. It's definitely not lighting up the road, but it's still very noticeable towards late afternoon/early evening, and it's still almost 50% brighter than the regular halogens.

Anyway, the main point of the LED DRLs (IMO) is to prevent the heat damage from reoccuring, the fact that they look better is a nice bonus. I'll take a couple more pics later to see if I can get them to appear more realistic.

Elusivellama
02-24-2012, 06:46 PM
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab96/Elusivellama/83f70dc2.jpg

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab96/Elusivellama/5a662c53.jpg

Jackal
02-24-2012, 07:21 PM
Hey,
Did you end up emailing them or did the DRL led fit OK?

Elusivellama
02-24-2012, 07:31 PM
I emailed them back and returned them for H8 sized bulbs, was credited back $4 because of the price difference :)

Jackal
02-24-2012, 08:02 PM
I emailed them back and returned them for H8 sized bulbs, was credited back $4 because of the price difference :)

Nice! They look great and no frosting!

kenghk
05-02-2012, 06:25 PM
Getting mine done on Friday. Dealer said my 10Speed wasn't in the VIN range of the recall but Mazda Canada says to replace them regardless. I hope they aiim them properly, I'm kind of worried they won't be aimed right.

I wonder what each OEM AFS Xenon is worth if you were to go in and buy them from the dealer?

gar_lei
05-02-2012, 07:18 PM
1200$

gar_lei
05-02-2012, 07:18 PM
The ballast is 450$ each...

kenghk
05-02-2012, 09:54 PM
$1200 sounds about right. Good thing i'm not paying anything. If i ever need a ballast or anything for my lights and I was paying for it, I wouldn't go to the dealer.

fuhreakz
05-30-2012, 10:13 AM
So I got mine replaced last year, first the headlights were not aimed properly, went back. Got that taken care of. At time I also got one of the yellow flasher bulbs replaced (passenger side headlight) as the always on filiment was broken. Which brings me to today. Well more like a few months ago.

I now notice every time I wash my car, the left headlight housing gets water in it. Not filled with water, but I thought these things are supposed to be sealed!?

Hope my extended bumper to bumper warranty covers it.

Check it out.

Right headlight housing.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/fuhreakz/Mazda/th_f9d09458.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/fuhreakz/Mazda/?action=view&current=f9d09458.jpg)

Left.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/fuhreakz/Mazda/th_e4218291.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/fuhreakz/Mazda/?action=view&current=e4218291.jpg)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/fuhreakz/Mazda/th_817a49ad.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/fuhreakz/Mazda/?action=view&current=817a49ad.jpg)

These were taken this morning after a quick spray down of the car.

Booter22
05-30-2012, 10:17 AM
So I got mine replaced last year, first the headlights were not aimed properly, went back. Got that taken care of. At time I also got one of the yellow flasher bulbs replaced (passenger side headlight) as the always on filiment was broken. Which brings me to today. Well more like a few months ago.

I now notice every time I wash my car, the left headlight housing gets water in it. Not filled with water, but I thought these things are supposed to be sealed!?

Hope my extended bumper to bumper warranty covers it.

Check it out.

Right headlight housing.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/fuhreakz/Mazda/th_f9d09458.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/fuhreakz/Mazda/?action=view¤t=f9d09458.jpg)

Left.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/fuhreakz/Mazda/th_e4218291.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/fuhreakz/Mazda/?action=view¤t=e4218291.jpg)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/fuhreakz/Mazda/th_817a49ad.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/fuhreakz/Mazda/?action=view¤t=817a49ad.jpg)

These were taken this morning after a quick spray down of the car.

even if your cars a 2010 unless your over your km or purchased it in 2009 it should still be covered under your basic warranty 3 year / 80,000 km. otherwise i suppose it demends on what your warranty covers, as no warranty is " bumper to bumper" as they dont cover brake pads, or rotors in most cases. clutch or flywheels. some dont cover suspension items. things like that.

DingosKidneys
06-02-2012, 02:59 PM
I have the same problem. I hadn't actually noticed it until one of the techs at SimplyTire pointed it out while I was there for an install ( thanks! ). Dropped by Scarborough Mazda today, they looked at it for about 5 seconds and placed the order for new units. No questions asked. Should be replaced this week, whenever the hardware gets there.

2010 GT

zzz3
06-02-2012, 04:29 PM
^make sure to switch to led drl or it may occur again.

DingosKidneys
06-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Any of the sponsors or local ( Toronto ) shops carry them? ( H8 LED for 2010+ ) Or is ebay from Hong Kong pretty much the way to go. All I could find was that Corksport thread, they were talking about getting them... but seems like it never happened

derekl
06-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Do they change the whole unit including the bulbs, or do they just change the unit and switch your old bulbs back in?

Pereira11
06-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Do they change the whole unit including the bulbs, or do they just change the unit and switch your old bulbs back in?

just the units are changed. bulbs are transfered over

Booter22
06-05-2012, 02:15 PM
just the units are changed. bulbs are transfered over

they are more vented and updated so it " should " not happen again. the owners who have had to replace theres more then once may have had the lights replaced with the old style units. i havent seen the new units need to be replaced again. ( keep a close eye on my friends speed that had his replaced)

zzz3
06-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Any of the sponsors or local ( Toronto ) shops carry them? ( H8 LED for 2010+ ) Or is ebay from Hong Kong pretty much the way to go. All I could find was that Corksport thread, they were talking about getting them... but seems like it never happened

Should be released soon since ottoyu already has them (I believe he is testing them for corksport):
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?16859-***-Mazda3-and-Mazdaspeed3-Sightings-***&p=955059&viewfull=1#post955059

Also the 'how to instruction' guide for them is up on the corksport website:
http://support.corksport.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=420

ski4life101
06-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Should be released soon since ottoyu already has them (I believe he is testing them for corksport):
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?16859-***-Mazda3-and-Mazdaspeed3-Sightings-***&p=955059&viewfull=1#post955059

Also the 'how to instruction' guide for them is up on the corksport website:
http://support.corksport.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=420

If you dont want to wait i picked up a set from Nextmod and they are working great so far.

reiklen
09-17-2012, 01:08 AM
Sorry to resurrect an old thread here, but I just came across this issue on my 2010 Mazda3 and I'm now out of the warranty period :(. I'm wondering if there is any point in trying to persuade Mazda to replace my lenses (my car did go in for the recall back in 2009/2010) or if that is a lost cause and I'm stuck with fixing this myself. If this is coming out of my pocket, any suggestions on where I should look for replacement parts? I'm guessing the "frosting" can't be removed?

TheMAN
09-17-2012, 01:10 AM
contact mazda canada and tell them their stupid recall didn't really fix anything and you demand to have it fixed properly
if they won't budge, contact transport canada

Booter22
09-17-2012, 09:19 AM
Sorry to resurrect an old thread here, but I just came across this issue on my 2010 Mazda3 and I'm now out of the warranty period :(. I'm wondering if there is any point in trying to persuade Mazda to replace my lenses (my car did go in for the recall back in 2009/2010) or if that is a lost cause and I'm stuck with fixing this myself. If this is coming out of my pocket, any suggestions on where I should look for replacement parts? I'm guessing the "frosting" can't be removed?

ok first off when did you buy the car if it is out of warranty? was it in 09? best thing would be to contact your dealer and see if they could contact there rep about having them replaced for you. you may need to go in an see them so they can take pictures and send them in as well. i dont see why they wouldnt if you had the recall done already. try your dealer first if not call mazda canada and let them know what happened. i wouldnt demand they fix anything as, if you are out of warranty they are in the right to decline the repair regardless of what you "demand" as they say you get more bees with honey.

TheMAN
09-17-2012, 10:04 PM
his warranty could be gone due to mileage, not time

reiklen
09-19-2012, 11:35 AM
I bought the car back in July of 2009, so I'm just a couple months out of warranty now. I will certainly be diplomatic about the situation, I realize Mazda has the right to refuse, I'm just hoping they don't :S Thanks for the tips, I'll let you know how I make out.

VertigoM
11-16-2012, 11:35 PM
Hmm... so I've noticed this issue on my car for some time and mistakenly thought it was condensation. Car is going to the dealer on Monday for the TSB. Hopefully there'll be no issues with the aiming of the Xenons.

2010mazda3gte
11-17-2012, 10:38 PM
I guess I should have taken a photo before Mazda replaced both of them. I noticed more if you view the lights from either side of the car. Head on you can't see it as predominantly. Mazda had no problems with replacing them, had them sent back to Mazda for investigation. It was not condensation, it was as if they were melting from the inside. If you take a piece of clear plastic, and start bending it back and forth, you start to see the white foggy/misty color of the clear plastic... that's what 40% of the headlight looked like, most above the bulbs, then more towards the back of the light. Mazda said they'd never heard of it. It may be that I drive alot each month, and the problem shows itself after 10000km or so. I guess we'll see what happens in 3 months when I've gone another 10000km. Mazda did mention a service bulletin that mentioned condensation but again this was not the case.

I too have a 2010 Mazda 3 GTE- same problem with the headlights!!! This is a GT problem from 2010---no recall from Mazda (typical) I was out of warranty by 2000k and Mazda in Chilliwack, BC replaced them free!!! This is a known issue and we as Mazda purchasers should not accept anything but a free replacement! My co-worker has the same car,same year & guess what??? He same headlight issue!!!! If you have this problem don't accept it!!! Take it to Mazda!!!!

2010mazda3gte
11-17-2012, 10:41 PM
I totally agree!!! If Mazda won't fix them contact transport Canada....that's exactly what I was going to do if Mazda didn't replace my lights...

2010mazda3gte
11-17-2012, 10:50 PM
The dealer replaced both of mine for free. He said one would be $1200.00 and the other would be $1400.00. Plus tax!!! OUCH

TayTay
11-20-2012, 01:05 PM
Another round of headlight replacement got done recently (just before the warranty expires). So pissed off at this and my dealer says any further occurences of the same thing will NOT be warranted and I will have to take it up with Mazda Canada directly for any approval repair.

I said wtf, this has been an issue from day 1 and you, the dealer and Mazda Canada have known this ongoing issue and yet I was told this would be my problem when the warranty expires. If this is the case, Mazda Canada has just seen my last $ spent on the car ... certainly, I will never buy another Mazda car ever !

TayTay
11-20-2012, 01:07 PM
Another round of headlight replacement got done recently (just before the warranty expires), in total, 2x for passenger side and 1x for driver side. So pissed off at this and my dealer says any further occurences of the same thing will NOT be warranted and I will have to take it up with Mazda Canada directly for any approval repair.

I said wtf, this has been an issue from day 1 and you, the dealer and Mazda Canada have known this ongoing issue and yet I was told this would be my problem when the warranty expires. If this is the case, Mazda Canada has just seen my last $ spent on the car ... certainly, I will never buy another Mazda car ever !

VertigoM
11-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Switch to LED DRL and you wont have to worry anymore.

Booter22
11-20-2012, 02:52 PM
Another round of headlight replacement got done recently (just before the warranty expires), in total, 2x for passenger side and 1x for driver side. So pissed off at this and my dealer says any further occurences of the same thing will NOT be warranted and I will have to take it up with Mazda Canada directly for any approval repair.

.. well the dealer can not warranty parts for you if the warranty is expired. these items are not covered by mapp warranty either and unless there is a service bulletin / recall or anything of the sort, they are right it would need to go through mazda canada. however the dealer shouldnt have told you tough luck your own your own. they should have advised you that they would need to go through mazda canada and the dealer rep but if it comes to that it could not be covered. also the design of the new lamps has changed to prevent over heating so they should not have to be changed. some of the vehicles that have had the lights repaired early sadly got the first batch of lights and i do not believe there was any change as they had not known yet that they did need to redesign them and the first sets of lights put on were just as good as the first lights and were bound to need to be changed later but at the dealer and warranty / mazda level until those lights were inspected no one knew what was going on. so you should be ok with the set you have now. but in case it does the dealer should take it to bat for you about getting them replaced.

hopefully this doesnt take you away from mazda due to a bad dealership experience. but it should have been presented in a much better way thats for sure.

TayTay
11-21-2012, 08:28 AM
This current round of replacement (passenger side) is with the new design one which is supposed to fix all problems. However, my driver side replacement is still with the old design which I am now worry it will happen once again in the future, in which I pointed this out to the dealer and that's my frustration on the blog is all about. It's like sitting on a ticking time bomb and when it happens, I am out $1500 and Mazda Canada will say tough luck to my case.

I do appreciate your comment.

.. well the dealer can not warranty parts for you if the warranty is expired. these items are not covered by mapp warranty either and unless there is a service bulletin / recall or anything of the sort, they are right it would need to go through mazda canada. however the dealer shouldnt have told you tough luck your own your own. they should have advised you that they would need to go through mazda canada and the dealer rep but if it comes to that it could not be covered. also the design of the new lamps has changed to prevent over heating so they should not have to be changed. some of the vehicles that have had the lights repaired early sadly got the first batch of lights and i do not believe there was any change as they had not known yet that they did need to redesign them and the first sets of lights put on were just as good as the first lights and were bound to need to be changed later but at the dealer and warranty / mazda level until those lights were inspected no one knew what was going on. so you should be ok with the set you have now. but in case it does the dealer should take it to bat for you about getting them replaced.

hopefully this doesnt take you away from mazda due to a bad dealership experience. but it should have been presented in a much better way thats for sure.

Booter22
11-21-2012, 10:16 AM
This current round of replacement (passenger side) is with the new design one which is supposed to fix all problems. However, my driver side replacement is still with the old design which I am now worry it will happen once again in the future, in which I pointed this out to the dealer and that's my frustration on the blog is all about. It's like sitting on a ticking time bomb and when it happens, I am out $1500 and Mazda Canada will say tough luck to my case.

I do appreciate your comment.

understand why you would be worried of course thats a large chunk of change to need to pay to replace a light if it happens in future and like i said hopefully the dealer would go to bat for you with mazda canada if that side does require replacement. but at the dealer level unless it is faulty we cant replaced them. so hopefully you have no problem with it.