PDA

View Full Version : Do dealers charge to look at car problems?

crono06
07-30-2009, 12:24 AM
Here's the problem... A new Mz3 that I bought about a month ago, seems as if it is having brake problems. It seems as if I have to jam down on the brakes pretty hard in order to stop the car... I wanna bring it in to a dealer to have a look at it, more specifically Oakville. It may or may not be a problem, but it seems much less responsive than the brakes on my 07 Civic.

What I want to know is, since the car is so new, will the dealer charge me for some bogus road test fee? I've had that tried on me at Mississauga Honda... I hope I can just stop by and have them take a look at it without any problems!

aris
07-30-2009, 01:09 AM
If your car is still under warranty then no you will not pay...but if it's not under warranty then the dealer will charge

What year is your car..and how many km

Thrizzl3
07-30-2009, 01:14 AM
he has a 2010..

aris
07-30-2009, 01:15 AM
he has a 2010..

Then they will check it for free:)

crono06
07-30-2009, 03:30 AM
Alright, thanks for the quick responses! Gotta look into my Honda problem then... >_>

Notorious MS3
07-30-2009, 09:08 AM
If your car is still under warranty then no you will not pay...but if it's not under warranty then the dealer will charge

What year is your car..and how many km

I thought I had a brake problem once and Mazda of Brampton told me if they looked at my brakes, and there was nothing wrong I would have to pay. This was also while my car was still under warranty. That was one of the many, many reasons I stoped getting my car serviced at Mazda of Brampton.

aris
07-30-2009, 09:53 AM
I thought I had a brake problem once and Mazda of Brampton told me if they looked at my brakes, and there was nothing wrong I would have to pay. This was also while my car was still under warranty. That was one of the many, many reasons I stoped getting my car serviced at Mazda of Brampton.

Your brakes are only covered for the first 20,000km or 1 year which ever comes first..so if it was over a year old or over 20,000km then you got to pay...and if it wasn't then your dealer was trying to screw you.

bhadreshl
08-04-2009, 10:26 AM
My car is still under warranty and they charged me to do a Diagnostic.

Aren't they supposed to pay the fee if they do warranty work?

Jeff-TheBiz
08-04-2009, 10:30 AM
My car is still under warranty and they charged me to do a Diagnostic.

Aren't they supposed to pay the fee if they do warranty work?

Was the repair a warranty covered item?

-RJ3-
08-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Many dealerships charge the 99.95 ECU diagnostic check... I never had issues with my original dealership.

Good luck!

SilentJay
08-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Interesting... I'm still throwing CELs, and could even provide a code (P113), but Westowne insisted that no matter why, they would charge $100 to take a look at it.

sip
08-04-2009, 08:39 PM
After I changed OME Toyos for Cooper CS4, I found the brakes less reponsive than before. I suspect it was because I downgraded from H to T rating on the advice of a tire dealer, highly recommended by this forum. Both Direct Mazda and Mazda of Brampton road tested my 2009 Mazda 3 and said brakes were fine. They didn't change me anything. But I think, they would have charged me a fee if they had put the car on the hoist, checked the barkes and found no issues.

aris
08-04-2009, 10:23 PM
After I changed OME Toyos for Cooper CS4, I found the brakes less reponsive than before. I suspect it was because I downgraded from H to T rating on the advice of a tire dealer, highly recommended by this forum. Both Direct Mazda and Mazda of Brampton road tested my 2009 Mazda 3 and said brakes were fine. They didn't change me anything. But I think, they would have charged me a fee if they had put the car on the hoist, checked the barkes and found no issues.

Your car is a 2009 ..you have less then 80,000km right?

If you had over 80,000km they would chrage you

crono06
08-05-2009, 02:34 AM
Brought the car in to Oakville last week... We went on a road test, and Nelson (I think?), said the brakes felt fine.

JashiK
08-08-2009, 07:27 PM

Don't quote me on this... but I don't believe the speed rating of a tire has a lot to do with braking differences. It depends on the compound and tread design. Was it just the tires you changed? or did you change rims as well? The Cooper's you picked up could be heavier tires than the prev. Toyo's you had, which could possibly affect braking.

Dante
08-09-2009, 03:24 AM
Dont even get me started with how mazda brampton are *******s, hence why I got a new car, all mazda service desks are dicks.

S.F.W.
08-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Dont even get me started with how mazda brampton are *******s, hence why I got a new car, all mazda service desks are dicks.
Don't paint all dealers with the same brush. Unless you have tried every single dealer.

Zoom Zoom Boy
08-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Don't quote me on this... but I don't believe the speed rating of a tire has a lot to do with braking differences. It depends on the compound and tread design. Was it just the tires you changed? or did you change rims as well? The Cooper's you picked up could be heavier tires than the prev. Toyo's you had, which could possibly affect braking.

Yes and no. It is the traction rating of the tire that is the measurement of braking ability, not speed rating. The traction rating has nothing to do with cornering ability, but rather, the ability of the tire to stop on wet asphalt or concrete. AA is the highest rating and then A, B, C in order of performance. However, the higher speed rated tires are typically performance or UHP tires and the compounds and tread designs used in these tires tend to give them a naturally higher traction rating too, but not always... They do tend also to be lighter than lower speed rated tires, again, due to constrcution and compounds, but yet again, not always...

MistaChin
08-10-2009, 07:57 AM

You got a new car because you feel that mazda service advisors are all dicks? Very odd reasoning...:loco

aris
08-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Don't paint all dealers with the same brush. Unless you have tried every single dealer.

+1

You got a new car because you feel that mazda service advisors are all dicks? Very odd reasoning...:loco

+1 he could have always took his car to another garage that is not a mazda dealer:)

JonsMazda
08-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Usually i'll ask the dealership to take a look at my car whenever i do oil change, they never ask for diagnostic fees.

kid_icarus
08-11-2009, 09:02 AM
I scheduled an appointment with Oakville Mazda next week to check a window rattle and a rear trunk area rattle???

Am I going to get charged for this???
I didn't think so... but now this thread has me thinking otherwise.

Zoom Zoom Boy
08-11-2009, 12:29 PM
I scheduled an appointment with Oakville Mazda next week to check a window rattle and a rear trunk area rattle???

Am I going to get charged for this???
I didn't think so... but now this thread has me thinking otherwise.

I doubt it. If you're under warranty, you really shouldn't be charged to have them look at something you deem to be a problem. Out of warranty, absolutely.

Oakville is touted on here as one of the best dealer places to take your car for service, although I can't say firsthand that they are, as I've never been there. So, based on rep, I would highly doubt they would try and charge you. If they do, well, I wouldn't take my car there any longer. This is why we have warranty coverage.

fatsock
08-30-2009, 11:11 PM
My Mazda is used, and I bought it from a different prvince then I currently reside in.

My car is still under warranty and both times I have simply driven my car into a random Mazda Dealer's service bay, and they have looked at it.

I would assume if you bought your car from a dealer they would give you even better service.:gone

krasyal
10-21-2009, 11:28 AM
Nothings free ... I suggest getting a good mechanic v.s paying Mazda premiums

Zoom Zoom Boy
10-21-2009, 11:59 AM
Nothings free ... I suggest getting a good mechanic v.s paying Mazda premiums

You do know what 'warranty coverage' means, right???

slidxe
10-21-2009, 03:11 PM
most likely they will charge