PDA

View Full Version : New 2010 Speed3 review. (Toronto Star)

hatthi
08-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Clicky the linky:

http://www.wheels.ca/article/asset/781282

Zoom Zoom Boy
08-08-2009, 09:47 AM
Decent review of the car.

Couple of points though. The torque numbers are the same between this gen and the old gen. Both have 280lb.-ft. torque at 3,000rpm. The article says this is a 10% increase in the new model, which it is not.

He also calls the DSC (Dynmamic Stability Control) by the name of ESC (Electronic Stability Control). If you're reviewing a manufacturer, it is usually nice to utilize their 'feature' terminology.

Interesting to note that Mazda is still also using the 0-100kmph time of 6.1 seconds, as the benchmark. This was the same as they noted for the old gen MS3 also. However, most people running even stock can do the 0-100kmph in the 5.7 to 5.9 vicinity on a regular basis. Even Edmunds Inside Line managed to hit these numbers and they also tend to state on the higher end of the scale.

Anyway, thanks for posting.

dumpbear
08-08-2009, 09:52 AM
nice. I would think that Jim Kenzie forgot to include the VW GTI in the competition comparisons as well.

Zoom Zoom Boy
08-08-2009, 10:10 AM
nice. I would think that Jim Kenzie forgot to include the VW GTI in the competition comparisons as well.

Good point. Especially true considering Mazda has stated that it's main competitors in this market are the Civic Si, Golf GTi and Mini Cooper S.

Mazda have repeatedly stated and gone out of their way to state that they are not trying to compete with the WRX and Evo, hence the lack of AWD in the MS3. However, despite this, most people, including journalists, still make this comparison because of the raw HP and performance in the MS3. In a way, it is a very good thing, because in essence, they are saying the MS3 in performance terms is easily superior to what Mazda deems is their competition (Si, GTi etc. al) and is better suited to go up against the AWD hot hatch cars that are considered the tops in terms of performance value, i.e WRX's and Evo's. So, Mazda got something right in this regard for sure.