PDA

View Full Version : Brake Service

alhope34
08-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Hello. My car is in the shop for tomorrow getting my accessory belt changed anyway (it fell apart) so I decided to get a brake fluid flush since it was "suggested" by the mechanic about 15,000kms ago.

Anyway, at the same time they suggested doing a brake service and pin lubrication. I didn't do this either at the time as it is WAY overpriced for the amount of work done. I used to work for Toyota and I can do it fine myself, my question is what type of grease should I use on the caliper pins? I have a bucket of normal Motomaster all-purpose grease. Would that be good enough?

MRT_MS3
08-10-2009, 10:04 PM
If you can find the actual caliper grease, I would suggest that you use that. If its not available, lithium grease or anti-seize lube is good enough.

MajesticBlueNTO
08-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Permatex Caliper Lube (http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/lubricants/specialty_lubricants/auto_Permatex_Ultra_Disc_Brake_Caliper_Lube_1.htm) ... can find the squeeze tube of this stuff at Canadian Tire.

Fuman
08-10-2009, 11:28 PM
my mind is in the gutter... (when you say lube)

JashiK
08-11-2009, 11:49 AM
my mind is in the gutter...
http://www.cbc.ca/thehour/blog/images/vaseline.jpg
(when you say lube)

lol gross

Fuman
08-11-2009, 01:00 PM
lol gross
hey, i never put that Vaseline picture!! but
I was thinking of this article when I saw
lube (http://www.askmen.com/dating/love_tip_150/188b_love_tip.html)

Speedy2008
08-16-2009, 03:15 AM
Hello. My car is in the shop for tomorrow getting my accessory belt changed anyway (it fell apart) so I decided to get a brake fluid flush since it was "suggested" by the mechanic about 15,000kms ago.

Anyway, at the same time they suggested doing a brake service and pin lubrication. I didn't do this either at the time as it is WAY overpriced for the amount of work done. I used to work for Toyota and I can do it fine myself, my question is what type of grease should I use on the caliper pins? I have a bucket of normal Motomaster all-purpose grease. Would that be good enough?

Dealer recommends that I do this now as well for $200.00. Cleaning + lubricating caliper pins and sanding away excess brake dust. I'm only at 8600kms...should I go through with it? I've had my car since Dec. '07.

alhope34
08-16-2009, 09:19 AM
Dealer recommends that I do this now as well for $200.00. Cleaning + lubricating caliper pins and sanding away excess brake dust. I'm only at 8600kms...should I go through with it? I've had my car since Dec. '07.

8600 kms and you've had the car a year and a half?? I'm at 64,500kms now since Oct 07. Anyway, I personally wouldn't get it done till 24,000kms where it is scheduled to be done, but with how much time your car is just sitting unused the grease on the caliper pins could dry up and disappear. You need to use your car more!

Flagrum_3
08-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Permatex Caliper Lube (http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/lubricants/specialty_lubricants/auto_Permatex_Ultra_Disc_Brake_Caliper_Lube_1.htm) ... can find the squeeze tube of this stuff at Canadian Tire.

+1, Possibly the best stuff on the market, I picked up the Brush Bottle for I believe $18 at NAPA on Birchmount...It's synthetic and green in colour. :)

_3

Speedy2008
08-16-2009, 01:01 PM
8600 kms and you've had the car a year and a half?? I'm at 64,500kms now since Oct 07. Anyway, I personally wouldn't get it done till 24,000kms where it is scheduled to be done, but with how much time your car is just sitting unused the grease on the caliper pins could dry up and disappear. You need to use your car more!

Yep I do need to drive more...I'm trying cuz I've been using it every day so far this summer. Probably try to grease the pins myself like you do because $200 sounds unreasonable for such a simple job.

zoomzoom33
08-17-2009, 01:02 PM
I just had it done recently at the dealer, a bit expensive but I didnt want to miss any of the major service intervals, just warranty issues im worried about if something does come up, atleast i can say i followed all maintence to the tee.

alhope34
08-23-2009, 10:21 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. Well, I tried to tackle the front brakes last night but I was stopped dead. I need the hex bit for my ratchet. Does anyone know the proper size for this? Also, how does the actual caliper come out of the huge part that encases it? These are a lot different than the Toyota brake setup I'm used to.

Fobio
08-23-2009, 11:30 PM

For that low KM, you definitely shouldn't need brake service unless they're all track miles. ;) You actually need to drive to have any brake dust...lol...

Thanks for all the advice guys. Well, I tried to tackle the front brakes last night but I was stopped dead. I need the hex bit for my ratchet. Does anyone know the proper size for this? Also, how does the actual caliper come out of the huge part that encases it? These are a lot different than the Toyota brake setup I'm used to.

I swapped my front rotors last night. The flare bit you're looking for is either size 50 or 55 to disassemble the caliper. They're neither metric nor SAE. However, for MOST brake service, including changing pads and rotors, you do not need to take the caliper apart.

There's a new tutorial on MSF for the MS6. The only bit that's different is that we need a big flat head screw driver to pry off the clip instead of the needle nose pliers. What the dealer usually does is just take out the pads, grease all friction surfaces including the guide pins.

The rears are, I believe the same as the MS6. so everything you need is listed in that tutorial. Of note, you'll need a rear caliper tool to push the piston back in if you're swapping pads as well.

MRT_MS3
08-24-2009, 01:03 AM
the 24000 km service cost 200$? a bit steep for just lubing the calipers. Is there anybody out there had early problems with their calipers that needed to be serviced through warranty? Thats the only thing thats stopping me from lubing my own calipers.

Speedy2008
08-24-2009, 10:28 AM
[QUOTE=Fobio;481126]For that low KM, you definitely shouldn't need brake service unless they're all track miles. ;) You actually need to drive to have any brake dust...lol...

Thanks Vince! Dealer keeps on pressuring me to have it done whenever I go in for an oil change. They even said my warranty could be affected if something goes wrong since I declined this service.

In addition to kms driven, they say time affects the fluids/lubricants. Last night on Car Help Canada on CP24, they were saying that dealers are now overselling fluid changes...fluids, fluids, fluids...cuz selling 'tuneups' are a thing of the past since cars are built so well these days.

09-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Tell your dealer to F..O.
No need to lube pins until you reach at least 25,000-30,000 km.

You can easily do this yourself.

And brake discs and pads are not warrantied anyway, it's normal wear and tear.

[QUOTE=Fobio;481126]For that low KM, you definitely shouldn't need brake service unless they're all track miles. ;) You actually need to drive to have any brake dust...lol...

Thanks Vince! Dealer keeps on pressuring me to have it done whenever I go in for an oil change. They even said my warranty could be affected if something goes wrong since I declined this service.

In addition to kms driven, they say time affects the fluids/lubricants. Last night on Car Help Canada on CP24, they were saying that dealers are now overselling fluid changes...fluids, fluids, fluids...cuz selling 'tuneups' are a thing of the past since cars are built so well these days.

Karen Lee-McNair
09-02-2009, 01:28 PM
my mind is in the gutter... (when you say lube)

lmao!! mine too, and i work in the trade!

Karen Lee-McNair
09-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Tell your dealer to F..O.
No need to lube pins until you reach at least 25,000-30,000 km.

You can easily do this yourself.

And brake discs and pads are not warrantied anyway, it's normal wear and tear.

[QUOTE=Speedy2008;481263]

just to clarify....

rotors are covered for runout during the comprehensive warranty, granted you will have to show proof of brake servicing, this also goes with caliper warranty. The pads are covered within the first year and/or 24,000 km warranty, unless due to abuse, and if not due to wear and tear, they are also covered under warranty. (Same procedure with Honda and Toyota)
This inexpensive maintenance can save you quite a bit in repair costs if needed.
$200 for the annual service will include more than just a four wheel brake service, someone may not be giving you all of the details efficiently.

If you're technically inclined and you can do the work, it'll save you the cost of maintenance, but it will also reject warranty coverage on these key parts.
ultimately, it's your call.

if you need any help, feel free to PM me.

Prima Tech Aaron
09-14-2009, 01:54 AM
A lot of things to respond to in ths thread.

frist the mazdaspeed3 front calipers ar a little bit harder to get off then regular but not impossible. if you are going to do it yourself use "sil glid" it a kinda clear/white silicone lucricant meant for brakes. "copper slip" or the silver brush on stuff is no good. sil glid is nice and slippery :).

also the main problem with the brakes is not caliper pins seizing. when they are sealed and lubed the should stay that way for a while.

the main thing is rust build up on the carrier (where the pads slide/sit in)
rust builds up causing the pads to stick causing accelerated/ uneven wear.

When I do a brake service I take the carrier off and clean the rust and resurface the pads. sometimes there is excessive rust lip, pitting, discolouration of the rotor which rquires a machining.

it's also a 24k or 24 month service. we inspect your car from top to bottom to make sure it's in good condition even if it does sit around. it's always good to have a mazda tech check it out once in a while, we know the common problems and help to catch things early so you don't get stuck on the side of the road.

my 2 cents, maybe 3. it was a little long winded

Speedy2008
09-19-2009, 09:42 AM
I plan to take my car in for the brake service. I decided not to recently because it was too early. I understand the benefits of preventative maintenance. Good responses.

wmzda5
09-24-2009, 08:55 PM
the 24000 km service cost 200$? a bit steep for just lubing the calipers. Is there anybody out there had early problems with their calipers that needed to be serviced through warranty? Thats the only thing thats stopping me from lubing my own calipers.

I had my brakes serviced thru warranty after only 4 months due to unusual noise when I apply the break. They found the caliper slide grease are dried up and took care of it because the car is literally brand new.