PDA

View Full Version : BIG bump - Speed 3 goes OUCH!

MSMitch
09-02-2009, 09:27 PM
I was driving to Caledon for a friends a wedding a couple of weeks ago on a newly paved patch of road - going about 90clicks (80 zone) - I approach what looks to be the transition from nice to old (or ready to pave road) - no signs, no (watch out for the biggest friggin drop youve ever seen in your life) - I slow to about 60 clicks - and MAN - we're seriously talking 4" difference in road height - had two passengers in car - and WHAAAAAM - quite the bang - car drove okay, no problems.
When I checked the car later, I notice the outside tread of the rear passnger tire partially shaved off and the metal edge along the wheel well is bent (will post pics when I get a chance). I can partially bend back the metal (inside edge of the wheel well) - but the tire has lost over 1/2 it's life.

So, do I even bother with insurance? I also have a wheel/tire warranty which I should probably check to see what (if anything) would be covered.

Car seems to drive okay - but may have Jimmy or Scarb Mazda check it out for me. Those in Caledon - sorry, I forgot the hwy number - I think it was 50 or something like that? Drive safe!

towelsnap
09-02-2009, 09:31 PM
:whoa oh no ... had a simliar thing like that in Kingston, did some bad damage to my rims :( . Hope everything works out for ya

Unoriginalusername
09-02-2009, 09:34 PM
i had that happen to me on i think 6th line towards caledon, made an aweful sound. i would check with the town/province to see if they offer any compensation under the pothole program others have mentioned on here before/somewhere

S.F.W.
09-02-2009, 09:37 PM
I would think the tire/rim protection you have would cover this...

Hives
09-02-2009, 11:10 PM
Oh shoot. That sucks. I hate roads like that.
Hope all works out well

aris
09-02-2009, 11:43 PM
Sucks man

Thrizzl3
09-02-2009, 11:46 PM
damn..your lucky your not lowered..as for us lowered people we can kiss our undercarriage goodbye =(

-cj-
09-02-2009, 11:47 PM
I feel your pain. If you're stock, you probably cracked a bump stop or two... When I installed my cobb springs, I found out that my passenger side stop had crumbled... The stock springs are way too soft for our cars, IMO.

I had something like that happen to me today. I was driving on Lawrence Ave, just east of Keele... Right by the KFC (if anyone is familiar with the area... Phil?), there's a patch of road missing... No big deal. Didn't look that deep. I was slowing down anyway for the light... BAM! Both front wheels hit the bump stop and my dash makes that lovely "CLUNK!" noise that tells you that you're an idiot for driving so fast over uneven road.. I was swearing up a storm inside the car...

aris
09-02-2009, 11:49 PM
damn..your lucky your not lowered..as for us lowered people we can kiss our undercarriage goodbye =(

You realy got to watch out...caseu you are so low

aris
09-02-2009, 11:51 PM
I Bent one of my 20" on my truck one night coming back from oshswa..i smoked a transport tire siting in middle of road:flaming

Thrizzl3
09-02-2009, 11:52 PM
I feel your pain. If you're stock, you probably cracked a bump stop or two... When I installed my cobb springs, I found out that my passenger side stop had crumbled... The stock springs are way too soft for our cars, IMO.

I had something like that happen to me today. I was driving on Lawrence Ave, just east of Keele... Right by the KFC (if anyone is familiar with the area... Phil?), there's a patch of road missing... No big deal. Didn't look that deep. I was slowing down anyway for the light... BAM! Both front wheels hit the bump stop and my dash makes that lovely "CLUNK!" noise that tells you that you're an idiot for driving so fast over uneven road.. I was swearing up a storm inside the car...

ya i avoided it a couple of days ago..ppl thought i was drunk the way i was avoiding potholes

stevenma188
09-03-2009, 08:32 AM
I also had a similar, although not as bad experience driving on Hwy 32 near Guelph. As I went over a set of railroad tracks, my car hit so hard my CD skipped. From the looks of it, no other damage, but does anyone else have similar experiences where their CD player will skip on hard bumps?

FLIPDADY
09-03-2009, 08:50 AM
I would think the tire/rim protection you have would cover this...
+1

If Jeff (TheBiz) could chime in on this thread, I know they cover tire repairs like nails so maybe check with who sold you the protection.

Mazda3X2
09-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Sorry to see this happen.

Ticks me off when they leave the roads in this condition.

MSMitch
09-04-2009, 08:57 AM
Below are some pics of the wheel well after I bent back as much as I could on my own with the blunt end of a pocket knife! Also showing some of the tire damage...

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj195/dr_mitch/IMG_4482.jpg

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj195/dr_mitch/IMG_4480.jpg

The rim rash is what happens when you go through an automated car wash, or let your father in law drive the car! :(

Dave_The_BMXER
09-04-2009, 09:25 AM
Oh man. I would have been finished. Good luck getting that all taken care of.

Thrizzl3
09-04-2009, 09:33 AM
ouch..

cosic
09-04-2009, 03:13 PM
holy curb rash

Aceius
09-05-2009, 02:28 PM
I also had a similar, although not as bad experience driving on Hwy 32 near Guelph. As I went over a set of railroad tracks, my car hit so hard my CD skipped. From the looks of it, no other damage, but does anyone else have similar experiences where their CD player will skip on hard bumps?

That's happened to me once or twice, nearly had a heart attack the first time

Jeff-TheBiz
09-05-2009, 02:41 PM
+1

If Jeff (TheBiz) could chime in on this thread, I know they cover tire repairs like nails so maybe check with who sold you the protection.

It will cover the tire & rim, if it will not hold air.

cy88
09-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Sorry about your lost, like UOU suggest, check with the city to see if they are willing to compensate. I am sure you are not the first one to get smoked by that section of the road.

The pot holes around the city is making me so sick that I am about to trade my car in for a SUV, seriously. I've banged into so many pot holes and I am very lucky that there are no visible damage to my rims/tires yet.

Prima Tech Aaron
09-14-2009, 01:36 AM
The tires don't look like the took too much damage. my friend lent me a cool tool long time ago to roll the fenders of my civic. it bolted to the hub and had a roller you pushed into the inner fender. I've also heard a baseball bat and a floor jack work well.

a side note once I went a size thinner on the civic the tire wasn't even close to touching. difference between 215/45r17 to 205/45r17. it would get thinner and slightly shorter.

Ex-Rolla
11-10-2009, 12:33 PM
How are the offset on these rims? Seems the rims/tire combo is wider then spec, which may have contributed to the problem.

I had the exact same issue, on both sides. I had to get my fenders rolled.

Overall though, i wouldn't be too concerned. Tires still look ok, just don't use them in the front. Go to any body shop and they can slowly bend the metal back.

jaimie08mazda3
11-12-2009, 03:48 PM
I was driving to Caledon for a friends a wedding a couple of weeks ago on a newly paved patch of road - going about 90clicks (80 zone) - I approach what looks to be the transition from nice to old (or ready to pave road) - no signs, no (watch out for the biggest friggin drop youve ever seen in your life) - I slow to about 60 clicks - and MAN - we're seriously talking 4" difference in road height - had two passengers in car - and WHAAAAAM - quite the bang - car drove okay, no problems.
When I checked the car later, I notice the outside tread of the rear passnger tire partially shaved off and the metal edge along the wheel well is bent (will post pics when I get a chance). I can partially bend back the metal (inside edge of the wheel well) - but the tire has lost over 1/2 it's life.

So, do I even bother with insurance? I also have a wheel/tire warranty which I should probably check to see what (if anything) would be covered.

Car seems to drive okay - but may have Jimmy or Scarb Mazda check it out for me. Those in Caledon - sorry, I forgot the hwy number - I think it was 50 or something like that? Drive safe!

Ahhh Caledon.. the reason why one of my rims have huge curb rash.. btw never let a woman drive your car haha... Anyway really no point in putting it through insurance. You could call the city and get them to pay for it. I tried that when I bottomed out my car on a pothole on Eramosa-Milton Townline. The person said they were not responsible and I was pissed. Wouldn't ya know it a month later they paved the damn road. Not to mention the potholes in Caledon are less then great at times... especially off of Highway 124.

Sean80
11-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Put a claim in with the municipality, they should give you compensation for that. That's pretty bad.

joeboy
01-12-2010, 09:30 PM
I wish GPS systems had the functionality so we could landmark big potholes and provide warnings when they are close. That would be sweet!

Mlochab
02-17-2010, 05:39 PM
I wish GPS systems had the functionality so we could landmark big potholes and provide warnings when they are close. That would be sweet!

you could use googlemaps on iphone and just "drop a pin" on the location lol :P

Mlochab
02-17-2010, 05:40 PM
Google maps on the iPhone is what i meant

timbit
03-18-2010, 04:35 PM
Had the same problem on my MSP when i first put the rims on. Stock i believe are +55 offset, i put on +45 offset. And they cut into the tire the exact same way.

You have a couple options...

Go get an alignment, but have them set the rears at -1.75 degrees, that should bring the top of the tire more in and away from the wheel well...

Go buy a grinder or dremel and shave off some of the lip on the wheel well (thats the method i did, worked perfectly fine. Used masking tape after i did some grinded to see IF it rubbed again, where it was rubbing so i can make the adjustments)

Go get your fenders rolled.