PDA

View Full Version : oil pressure gauge?

froggy
09-17-2009, 12:12 AM
just wondering I'm sure the computer automatically checks the oil pressure but on my gx is there an easy way to get it displayed on a gauge? and if not does the 2.0 L block have an access plug screw to install one in?

Zoom Zoom Boy
09-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Don't know Froggy. I do know that the MS3 has an access plug screw and setting up a gauge is still a pain in the ass if you want a proper and clean install. Your best bet would be to call Jimmy or maybe 'The Man' or 'Aaron the Prima Tech' will see this and post up.

Good luck in any case.

froggy
09-17-2009, 05:19 PM
yeah i was just wondering, since when i was changing my oil i see a lot of plugged holes in the bottom of the block and i was figuring that's probably what it's for. do the ms3's share the same block and are just over bored/stroked to get the extra displacement?

jurgenk
09-17-2009, 06:35 PM
I have a 2.0L GX hatch and installed an electrical oil pressure gauge in a vent pod using a sandwich adaptor on the oil filter (gives you 4 ports for senders or you can simply plug the ones you do not use). The installation requires running a wire through the firewall from the sender and then tapping into two power wires and one ground.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c133/jurgenk/IMG_0773.jpg

Brad

Mty Mous
09-17-2009, 09:10 PM
I bought the spin-on filter attachment and the port for the stock oil pressure sensor is 1\4" ... picked up a brass 1\4" T-Connector (1 Male, 2 Female) for $5.

Now I just gotta find an aftermarket oil pressure gauge that uses a 1\4" sensor and I'll be set!

Anyways, thought you might wanna know of that option. :)

froggy
09-18-2009, 01:50 AM
I have a 2.0L GX hatch and installed an electrical oil pressure gauge in a vent pod using a sandwich adaptor on the oil filter (gives you 4 ports for senders or you can simply plug the ones you do not use). The installation requires running a wire through the firewall from the sender and then tapping into two power wires and one ground.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c133/jurgenk/IMG_0773.jpg

Brad

wow that doesn't actually sound that difficult at all where did you pick it up? Do any of our sponsors have those parts for sale? That sounds much easier than setting up or unplugging a plug to run a probe. I was actually thinking of using a ventpod I was just wondering if anyone made a multifunction one? something that I could switch to different inputs, ie have it be able to display more than 1 thing (obviously not at the same time)
I'd like to be able to monitor oil pressure/temp, and coolant temp, not just a scale without numbers. :(

froggy
09-18-2009, 01:52 AM
I bought the spin-on filter attachment and the port for the stock oil pressure sensor is 1\4" ... picked up a brass 1\4" T-Connector (1 Male, 2 Female) for $5.

Now I just gotta find an aftermarket oil pressure gauge that uses a 1\4" sensor and I'll be set!

Anyways, thought you might wanna know of that option. :)

thanks for that but my gx is already equipped with a spin on filter so i wouldn't need to go through all extra work. Thanks for the input though

jurgenk
09-18-2009, 12:50 PM
wow that doesn't actually sound that difficult at all where did you pick it up? Do any of our sponsors have those parts for sale? That sounds much easier than setting up or unplugging a plug to run a probe. I was actually thinking of using a ventpod I was just wondering if anyone made a multifunction one? something that I could switch to different inputs, ie have it be able to display more than 1 thing (obviously not at the same time)
I'd like to be able to monitor oil pressure/temp, and coolant temp, not just a scale without numbers. :(

froggy, here (http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=106786.0) is a thread from m3f on mounting a Aeroforce Scan Gauge in a vent gauge pod. He is using a different type of vent gauge pod so ignore the installation of the pod as it is simpler than that thread makes it appear. I do not have any experience with the multifunction gauges of this type so I cannot help you there but I will post back with links to the vent gauge pod and the sandwich adaptor I used later.

Brad

froggy
09-18-2009, 02:58 PM
thanks dude that'll help a lot. I'll also have to look at the oil cooler mod, and probably do them both at the same time

jurgenk
09-18-2009, 05:10 PM
Adaptor plate from glowshift:
http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/oilfiltersenderadapter-20mm15thread-1.aspx

Vent Gauge Pod from therpmstore:
http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=213_25&products_id=846

Brad

JohnyGT
09-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Ive recently purchased glowshift gauges & sandwich adapter,

make sure you get 3/4 UNF16 one for the adapter.

And unfortunately, they dont have one for 2.3L motors, so guess ill convert

my oil filter to 2.0 from 2.3

Chester_Lampwick
09-18-2009, 05:47 PM
Froggy,
I'll check if my Scanguage II has oil pressure. It definitely adds coolant temp, which the 2010 Mazda3 lacks.

froggy
09-19-2009, 12:13 AM
Froggy,
I'll check if my Scanguage II has oil pressure. It definitely adds coolant temp, which the 2010 Mazda3 lacks.

that would be cool if you could is that a gauge size that would fit into a ventpod setup?

Chester_Lampwick
09-19-2009, 01:07 PM
that would be cool if you could is that a gauge size that would fit into a ventpod setup?

No, it wouldn't fit into a round pod. It's rectangular, maybe 5" wide by 2" high.

For some reason I thought you had a 2010. I could recommend a spot for it on a 2010.

froggy
09-19-2009, 10:09 PM
that's to bad it would be great to have some thing like that in a vent pod size. I wonder where else on an 08 3 that would blend in? 5 x 2" eh??

jurgenk
09-20-2009, 01:04 AM
froggy, Aeroforce makes the Interceptor (http://www.aeroforcetech.com/products_order_mazda.html) which is a multi-function 52mm gauge that would fit in a vent pod. Expensive at $250 USD on the website but I imagine any multi-function gauge is not going to be cheap.

Brad

froggy
09-20-2009, 08:24 PM
well for something you buy only once i'm not worried about spending the money, I was just hoping the sponsors might have something I'd rather deal locally if possible.