PDA

View Full Version : Where to get 24K maintence done?

k-existence
11-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Hi everyone!

I got a quote for about $200 for the 24K service from mazda.

Now I did just buy the car at 16,000K so would I be needing the full service like lubricating hinges, replace oil filter, rotate tires, inspect brakes etc. (assuming those things were done when I bought the car?)

Also where do you go for your maintenance if not mazda dealership any recommendations?

Can anyone confirm not going to a mazda dealership will not void my warranty in anyway as long as the mechanic is registered?

Thanks!

S.F.W.
11-29-2009, 04:59 PM
Given you bought the car used with 16k, I would be inclined to have this first major service done at Mazda. Just in case you need warranty work.
Are you running winter tires? If you are, then you can decline the tire rotation and save some money.
With all that said, as long as you have the recipt for the mechanic sevice including oil change, Mazda will not void your warranty.

k-existence
11-29-2009, 07:32 PM
yeah I'm getting winter tires this week,
hmm so we can ask to not rotate & inspect tires to save me some money?

S.F.W.
11-29-2009, 07:38 PM

Yeah, declining the rotation saves $25-$35.

k-existence
11-29-2009, 08:17 PM
lol what about declining Inspect window washer fluid level haha

Flagrum_3
11-29-2009, 08:23 PM
lol what about declining Inspect window washer fluid level haha

No change :chuckle ...just make sure they lube your hinges etc; :)

_3

sip
11-29-2009, 08:58 PM
Hi everyone!

I got a quote for about $200 for the 24K service from mazda.

Now I did just buy the car at 16,000K so would I be needing the full service like lubricating hinges, replace oil filter, rotate tires, inspect brakes etc. (assuming those things were done when I bought the car?)

Also where do you go for your maintenance if not mazda dealership any recommendations?

Can anyone confirm not going to a mazda dealership will not void my warranty in anyway as long as the mechanic is registered?

Thanks!

Which dealer? $200 is the least expensive quote I have heard?

Zoom Zoom Boy
11-29-2009, 09:14 PM
Which dealer? $200 is the least expensive quote I have heard?

True. Most dealers are around $229.00.

To the OP, if you don't care about taking it to a dealer, Jimmy at Street Performance can do this service for you easily and will charge you less than half the amount the dealer will...and will likely do a better job too.

k-existence
11-30-2009, 10:39 AM
hmm yeah but if I bring it to street performance...
will it influence warranty in anyway? I know S.F.W. suggested to go to mazda... but its so much more expensive than non-dealership shops

anyone have any experience from not getting their maintenance done from mazda but no problem from mazda for the warranty?

i got the quote from oakville mazda =D... its $219 after taxes but then you get 10 or 15% off for being TM3 member

cwp_sedan
11-30-2009, 10:46 AM
will it influence warranty in anyway? I know S.F.W. suggested to go to mazda... but its so much more expensive than non-dealership shops

anyone have any experience from not getting their maintenance done from mazda but no problem from mazda for the warranty?

i got the quote from oakville mazda =D... its $219 after taxes but then you get 10 or 15% off for being TM3 member

I don't think the 10% or 15% applies to 24/48/etc packages as it doesn't apply to oil changes either, unless it differs between dealerships. Thats around what I paid at MOT.

Donutz
11-30-2009, 11:34 AM
To the OP, if you don't care about taking it to a dealer, Jimmy at Street Performance can do this service for you easily and will charge you less than half the amount the dealer will...and will likely do a better job too.

I take my ride to Jimmy for all services.

Zoom Zoom Boy
11-30-2009, 11:52 AM

No, it will not affect your warranty coverage, but you will need to keep a copy of all the receipts and receipts that show the exact mileage in km on your car when you had each service performed. This is in case you ever need to 'prove' that you serviced the vehicle when you were supposed too. For some, this is a pain in the ass to do, so they go to the dealer. For others, they don't mind keeping all the receipts somewhere.

You could technically do all the services yourself if you were mechanically inclined, keep all the recipts and this still wouldn't void your warranty coverage.

Do what you feel comfortable doing, but keeping the receipts with mileage noted, is an absolute must if you elect not to have Mazda service the vehicle. They don't care as much about the 4 months aspect, but they are very anal about the every 8K aspect when it comes to major warranty coverage on say an engine...

k-existence
11-30-2009, 01:38 PM
alrite... Im thinking of going to non-mazda for my service since its cheaper =D

any shop recommendations besides Street Performance? In Mississauga?
I did a search and found Camtech Automotive but no reviews...

Thanks!

Flagrum_3
11-30-2009, 02:37 PM
No, it will not affect your warranty coverage, but you will need to keep a copy of all the receipts and receipts that show the exact mileage in km on your car when you had each service performed. This is in case you ever need to 'prove' that you serviced the vehicle when you were supposed too. For some, this is a pain in the ass to do, so they go to the dealer. For others, they don't mind keeping all the receipts somewhere.

You could technically do all the services yourself if you were mechanically inclined, keep all the recipts and this still wouldn't void your warranty coverage.
Do what you feel comfortable doing, but keeping the receipts with mileage noted, is an absolute must if you elect not to have Mazda service the vehicle. They don't care as much about the 4 months aspect, but they are very anal about the every 8K aspect when it comes to major warranty coverage on say an engine...

That's a Sticky point, so I wouldn't go saying it's absolutely OK!! All work (except maybe fluid exhanges) should be performed by a Licensed technician, Mechanic or an observed apprentice...IF NOT; Mazda can refuse warranty work if anything arises and is linked to the work performed.

So do your own oil changes if you want, but anything more technical I'd take it to a certified person...Just to be safe!!

_3

k-existence
12-02-2009, 09:28 PM
... anyone used mr. lube before? their ad is like warranty safe!
i dunno how their prices compare to mazda tho

Donutz
12-02-2009, 09:30 PM
^^ Search the forum for that one! Even folks that used to work there recommend you go elsewhere. Seriously bro, go to Street Performance.

k-existence
12-03-2009, 01:34 PM
ah i searched Mr. Lube and no results came but then its all under mr lube =P

alrite its between street performance or mazda...

street performance- synthetic oil change is $50... is that fair?
how much is it at mazda? I may consider going with oil change at mazda and then inspect at street performance?

cwp_sedan
12-03-2009, 01:39 PM

how much is it at mazda? I may consider going with oil change at mazda and then inspect at street performance?

24k isn't just an oil change with an inspection. I'm pretty sure brakes are done as well.

Zoom Zoom Boy
12-03-2009, 02:41 PM

The $50.00 Jimmy charges for the synthetic oil change is including the oil... If you bring your own, I think he charges like $20-$25.00 for just the labour. Considering that a litre of synthetic oil is usually at least $9.99 at CT for just the oil itself and you will need to buy 5L to do the change, yah, $50.00 for oil and the service is a very good price...

Don't go to Mr. Lube for anything. Ever. Unless you really hate yourself and your car.

Fuman
12-03-2009, 02:51 PM

Go Mazda, less hassle if you need to do warranty claims later.
Go to Jimmy for anything not part of warranty claim OR standard service.

McGuyver_3
12-03-2009, 11:33 PM
For me personally having my last 3 where i did all my own servicing as i had lots of oppertunity and even had paper work to prove it from my dealer i worked at the time, the dealer i wanted warranty work done at was still giving me a hard time :@. So with my new car i change the oil relatively frequently and for every 8 16 24 etc etc i takje it to the dealer because i have extended warranty and have already had some issues with my car

OhAxela
12-04-2009, 09:10 AM
i get my 24k done free since they ****ed my brakes at my dealer, the dealer manager said its 249.99 regular so iam happy i get it for free, although I know it actually costs them maybe 10 dollars . can someone tell me what consists of 24k service, my cars only got 8k on it right now but coming up to 24 months, is there a must that i do this at only 8 k?

cwp_sedan
12-04-2009, 09:20 AM
i get my 24k done free since they ****ed my brakes at my dealer, the dealer manager said its 249.99 regular so iam happy i get it for free, although I know it actually costs them maybe 10 dollars . can someone tell me what consists of 24k service, my cars only got 8k on it right now but coming up to 24 months, is there a must that i do this at only 8 k?

Please search for this stuff...

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=10711

It's also in your owner's manual.

k-existence
12-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Sorry the many questions but you guys are most helpful

I made an appointment with Street Performance for my 24K service and a synthetic oil change for HALF of what mazda is charging me for non-sythetic oil change...

Anyone know if street performance people are Licensed technician and a Licensed shop?

Yeah i know warranty T_T people say it may be better to just go to mazda for less hassle but its so damn expensive and i did jus buy this car at 16K from a dealership... so I'm pretty sure the brakes and stuff are alright. and I will get street performance to do everything mazda will do cept for tire rotation (because im getting winter from simplytire on the same day)

Donutz
12-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Anyone know if street performance people are Licensed technician and a Licensed shop?

Yes, they are licensed.

OhAxela
12-04-2009, 06:06 PM
doesent really answer my question lol ,

my car has just over 8k but its almost 24 months after purchase... is it100% necesary to go for the 24k service now or wait longer

cwp_sedan
12-04-2009, 06:15 PM

my car has just over 8k but its almost 24 months after purchase... is it100% necesary to go for the 24k service now or wait longer

Yes it did answer your question.

I would say yes you should do the 24K. It says 24k OR 12 months. If you don't keep things lubed or cleaned, etc over time parts will start to fail.

McGuyver_3
12-04-2009, 07:08 PM

I hope you are not still using the oem oil otherwise you are going to have bigger problems then just a 24k service. Perrfect example our cars at work are rated at high mileage oil changes 1 year or 25000km whichever comes first which i think is pure bogus. Guy had a 2 year old car with 19000km on original oil. The car ended up needing an engine and because of neglect no warranty. The oil was like jellow beneather the rocker cover

Cosmo77
12-04-2009, 08:38 PM

Just remember you won't save any money by declining the rotation at the major services (ie: 24k 48k 72k 96k)...Since We would already have you tires off for servicing the brakes.

I would however mention that "winter air" is recommended in the harsh Ontario climate, and to have your "flibbery Flandge" checked to make sure its meshing with the "Grappel Gromment" to make sure your warrenty is not voided.

McGuyver_3
12-04-2009, 10:40 PM
I would however mention that "winter air" is recommended in the harsh Ontario climate, and to have your "flibbery Flandge" checked to make sure its meshing with the "Grappel Gromment" to make sure your warrenty is not voided.

Now i hope that was sarcasm :chuckle

r4BBiT
12-05-2009, 09:55 PM
That's a Sticky point, so I wouldn't go saying it's absolutely OK!! All work (except maybe fluid exhanges) should be performed by a Licensed technician, Mechanic or an observed apprentice...IF NOT; Mazda can refuse warranty work if anything arises and is linked to the work performed.

So do your own oil changes if you want, but anything more technical I'd take it to a certified person...Just to be safe!!

_3

That's stupid and I really hate Mazda for that. Why do I have to pay some "licensed" tech to do the work for me, when I feel that I can do that myself a lot of times better job than they do, because I car about the car?

I'm going to do my own maintenance on my 2010 3 like I did on any of my old cars and keep receipts. If they have problem with that they can go to hell!

McGuyver_3
12-06-2009, 12:54 AM
I am an apprentice work at a dealer and had receipts and proof of everything for my 05 v3 and they still hassled me so from now on my 10 goes to the dealer for all "major' services

Flagrum_3
12-06-2009, 07:33 AM
That's stupid and I really hate Mazda for that. Why do I have to pay some "licensed" tech to do the work for me, when I feel that I can do that myself a lot of times better job than they do, because I car about the car?

I'm going to do my own maintenance on my 2010 3 like I did on any of my old cars and keep receipts. If they have problem with that they can go to hell!

It's not just Mazda, it's any manufacturer!! You can do what you like, but it's a fact you could screw your warranty doing things yourself....it's up to you.

I'm just the messenger :)

_3

r4BBiT
12-08-2009, 09:21 PM
lol, i might of been little tipsy when i was writing it, i'm still debating on it...i should really have to do anything for at least 2 years, except oil changes and lube points

McGuyver_3
12-09-2009, 04:08 PM
at the end of the day its about 200$ which makes me cringe because being a tech i dont have to pay someone to tell me my car is in good shape and do an oil change for me. But stupid warranty will be to much a headache