PDA

View Full Version : Bike Rack...Trailer hitch?

BigDaddy
01-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Hey Guys,
I need a way to carry my mountain bike on my mazda 3 sport. I used to use a trunk rack on my old accord but the spoiler/moon viser or whatever its called gets in the way of the straps on my mazda.

Does anyone know anything about low profile trailer hitch options? I'm trying to avoid roof racks at all costs !!

Thanks,

Mike

RedRaptor
01-04-2010, 05:46 PM
This is a quote I got from Rack Attack about 2 months ago:

-Hidden Hitch = $264 + taxes (Installed)
-Wiring Harness if you are trailering = $65 + taxes (Installed).

Comes out to around $370.

Bomber-Stud
01-04-2010, 07:39 PM
can i ask why you're avoiding a roof rack? just curious, because I need something to carry skis/bike

BigDaddy
01-04-2010, 09:15 PM
I'm just not knocked about how roof racks look/ i find it a little easier to load the bike lower to the ground and I like to be able to see the bike the rear view in case things are coming loose.

Bomber-Stud
01-04-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm just not knocked about how roof racks look/ i find it a little easier to load the bike lower to the ground and I like to be able to see the bike the rear view in case things are coming loose.

good point.
I have a bike rack that fits a 2" receiver... can you get a 2" hitch for mazda 3s ...or are they all 1 1/4" ? I don't think I want to use an adaptor.

BigDaddy
01-05-2010, 12:24 PM
hmm...good question, id imagine that they come in both sizes but I haven't even started looking around yet. I just saw a you tube video of a hitch installation on a mazda 3 and it looks like a pretty easy do it yourself job if you have a drill, socket set, a decent jack and some patience!

Mike

pacmann33
01-05-2010, 03:42 PM
can you get a 2" hitch for mazda 3s ...or are they all 1 1/4" ? I don't think I want to use an adaptor.

Nope. I have a Curt hitch still to be installed on my 2010 hatch and it is 1.25 receiver. I don't believe anyone would make a hitch with 2 inch receiver due to liability etc etc.

only options are to use an adaptor (I'm also not a fan of adapters) or sell your rack and get a new one. Almost all bike racks come in either size.

On the 2010 you do not need to drill to install the hitch. 04-09 you will have to drill.

BigDaddy
01-05-2010, 05:54 PM
I've been shopping around and there isn't really much to those hitches, I'm tempted to make my own hitch and bike rack with the help of a welder friend of mine. Maybe a project for later in the winter...

pacmann33
01-05-2010, 06:53 PM
The Curt I have connects with 6 bolts, and is actually a class1/2 instead of a plain class1. It is very beefy, and is one of the best hitch manufacturers. A number of 2010 owners have this hitch.

Why would you want to exceed the 2,000lb rating of the hitch? not a good idea with a mazda3.

Mine cost 160$ or so with free shipping, it arrived 24 hours after I purchased it on ebay. You would be wasting your time making an UGLY hitch, not to mention the liability you and your friend would have should something go wrong while you are towing something. Any hitch made for the mazda3 will be way way way more than sufficient to hold a couple of bikes...

Do yourself a favor and buy a properly designed hitch.

BigDaddy
01-05-2010, 08:28 PM
Hmm...sounds like a challenge :). I realize that there are some liability risks but, my welder has some pretty good credentials (35+ years doing R&D for Magna and Mercedes Benz). Plus its looking like a hitch and half decent bike rack will run me in the $300s if I install the hitch myself, with a home brew I'm looking at about $75 for materials, a bottle of jagermeister for the welder and my own time.

If I actually end up going through with this project I'll post some pics

Mike

RedRaptor
01-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Do yourself a favor and buy a properly designed hitch.

+1.

Why even risk it? Its not like a hitch costs $1000. You save $50 but you put everyone else's life in danger should your custom made hitch fails? I'd hate to be the car behind you when you're trailering anything...

BigDaddy
01-06-2010, 08:33 PM
I'm surprised you guys are so skeptical. The hitch has to hold a bike rack, the weak link is the frame of the car...trailering anything heavy on a car like this is going to wreck the components of the car before the hitch by a long shot. Plus there are all kinds of vehicles on the road with custom welding...for example restored classic cars, tow trucks, fire trucks, vehicles repaired from accidents...the list is endless.

Mike

aris
01-06-2010, 08:35 PM
I'm surprised you guys are so skeptical. The hitch has to hold a bike rack, the weak link is the frame of the car...trailering anything heavy on a car like this is going to wreck the components of the car before the hitch by a long shot. Plus there are all kinds of vehicles on the road with custom welding...for example restored classic cars, tow trucks, fire trucks, vehicles repaired from accidents...the list is endless.

Mike

If you know how to weld you shouldn't have any problems

Goodluck