PDA

View Full Version : TSB for rust proofing?

aberg83
01-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Just got a call from my dealer. They said Mazda Canada just issued a tsb for rust proofing and that I could bring the car in and get the work done at no cost. Any idea what this is about?

bman13
01-05-2010, 01:44 PM
I'm gonna call the dealer and confirm this one.

casperwonder
01-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Please keep us updated. Thanks

MajesticBlueNTO
01-05-2010, 04:30 PM
i heard it was for the 07s and it involved removing the door panels and spraying the inner door skin.

aris
01-05-2010, 05:21 PM
i never got no call???

Scottobot
01-05-2010, 08:11 PM
Me neither.
*waiting for updates*

MajesticBlueNTO
01-05-2010, 08:34 PM
call your dealer...TSBs aren't necessarily recalls.

Ogata
01-05-2010, 11:59 PM
my dealer blantly said we need to "replicate" first and then look at a TSB

aris
01-06-2010, 12:06 AM
my dealer blantly said we need to "replicate" first and then look at a TSB

??

mazdaskit
01-06-2010, 08:04 AM
is it all 07's or just one version of them

Ogata
01-06-2010, 09:45 AM
??

They won't fix something even if there is a TSB or you bring up a TSB with numbers unless they can determine the issue first.

aris
01-06-2010, 10:52 AM
They won't fix something even if there is a TSB or you bring up a TSB with numbers unless they can determine the issue first.

So if their is no rust then their doing nothing about it..i see now...thanks Ogata for clarifing it for me:)

mazdabetty
01-06-2010, 10:59 AM
So they're going to wait until the car is already INFECTED... and THEN rustproof it??? hahahhaha.... wow.... Mazda=:winner?

:whoa

dsichewski
01-06-2010, 11:06 AM
So they're going to wait until the car is already INFECTED... and THEN rustproof it??? hahahhaha.... wow.... Mazda=:winner?

:whoa

exactly what I was thinking....what is even the point of rustproofing it if there is rust there? its only going to spread eventually....not a smart move on their part...

aberg83
01-06-2010, 03:47 PM
Well, in my case, I have no rust, and the dealer volunteered to do the work. They called me out of the blue.

aris
01-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Well, in my case, I have no rust, and the dealer volunteered to do the work. They called me out of the blue.

Have you taking your car in yet??

alho
01-06-2010, 09:46 PM
which dealer are you with?

aberg83
01-07-2010, 10:10 AM
I haven't taken it in yet - Kieswetter in Kitchener

aris
01-07-2010, 10:19 AM

When you take it could you let us know exactly what they do..thanks:)

RetroLite
01-07-2010, 06:24 PM
can anyone find this TSB online? I would like to personally take this to avante mazda and show them.

Cosmo77
01-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Patience….were getting to you

thanu31
01-11-2010, 04:11 PM
I took my car to Scarboro Mazda to get some warranty work done, and the service manager mentioned that there is Rust Prevention work available for my car.

Its called MP26, or something, for (06-07 models), i forgot what it is, but he said they will insert something in the doors to help protect it against rust. He kept assuring, that its not rust proofing but only rust prevention.
He said Mazda is trying to prevent what happened with the 04-05 models. lol

I asked about the wheel wells, but he said its not covered for now.
They didn't have the parts available to do it so I have to go tomorrow.

So yea, go to your dealer and ask to get it done!:)

cwp_sedan
01-11-2010, 04:19 PM
I already had this done about a month or so ago. It's rust protection behind the b-pillars. They basically spray some stuff behind them to help prevent any rusting. Who knows if it will even work but it smells like ass.

You get a bright yellow sticker on the inside of the door if you have had it done.

I think it's only 2007 also but I'm not 100% sure.

Skwiggler
01-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Hmmmm while were on the topic of rust proofing.
I got rust protection from Mazda when I purchased the car. If I have any problems, do I have to take it back to my original dealer? Or is it like regular Mazda warranty, I can take it to any dealer?
Checkups, problems, re-spray, etc.

Google
01-11-2010, 10:00 PM
I already had this done about a month or so ago. It's rust protection behind the b-pillars. They basically spray some stuff behind them to help prevent any rusting. Who knows if it will even work but it smells like ass.

You get a bright yellow sticker on the inside of the door if you have had it done.

I think it's only 2007 also but I'm not 100% sure.
I was told it's the 06s too. And 05s if you havent passed the 5 year warranty.

I dunno how this is going to help unless the strip the car down and clean it. Just spraying the coating on top of the dirt that's already accumulated isn't going to squat.

casperwonder
01-12-2010, 12:02 AM
Hmmmm while were on the topic of rust proofing.
I got rust protection from Mazda when I purchased the car. If I have any problems, do I have to take it back to my original dealer? Or is it like regular Mazda warranty, I can take it to any dealer?
Checkups, problems, re-spray, etc.

I was told from my dealer that you have to bring it back to the original dealer. Because each dealer use different rust proofing company and the warranty work is preform by the rust company not your dealer.

RedRaptor
01-12-2010, 06:36 PM
My sister got a letter from Mazda today for her 2006 sedan. So it looks like they are going to take care of 06s as well.

thanu31
01-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Thats what service manager at Scarboro Mazda told me

06 and 07s

aris
01-12-2010, 06:56 PM
My sister got a letter from Mazda today for her 2006 sedan. So it looks like they are going to take care of 06s as well.

Thats what service manager at Scarboro Mazda told me

06 and 07s

Yes it's 06 and 07...I was talking to my dealer about this and they told me that the issue was only those 2 years and they fixed the problem with the 08 and up models

Google
01-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Why does the TB not apply to the 2004s and 2005s? Is it because the majority of these cars have had their warranty expire already? I know some people who have their 5 year warranty expire this year.

aris
01-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Why does the TB not apply to the 2004s and 2005s? Is it because the majority of these cars have had their warranty expire already? I know some people who have their 5 year warranty expire this year.

Call your dealer and ask..

Google
01-12-2010, 10:54 PM
Call your dealer and ask..
Did that. All they'll say is the VIN doesnt match what's included in the TSB.

thanu31
01-12-2010, 11:12 PM
I guess Mazda thinks its too late to prevent the rust in 04 05 models

aris
01-12-2010, 11:12 PM
Did that. All they'll say is the VIN doesnt match what's included in the TSB.

From what i was told it was only 06 and 07

Google
01-13-2010, 12:01 AM
I guess Mazda thinks its too late to prevent the rust in 04 05 models
That's my thinking too. But that' kind of thinking is not logical. I would expect the resale value to plummet quite a bit.

BTW, anyone hear what's happening in the US? Is there a recall or TSB on the rust there too?

MajesticBlueNTO
01-13-2010, 12:03 AM

the rust warranty on the 04-05s were quietly extended to 6 years. that is how i was able to get the rusty door b-pillars fixed on my 04.

mazda is repairing/replacing doors on 04-05s with rusty b-pillars. with this TSB, it looks like they are trying to prevent that from happening on the 06-07s.

RedRaptor
01-13-2010, 08:51 PM
I hope for Mazda's sake that this new rust TSB works. Or else there are going to be a lot of rusty door b-pillars to replace in a few years.

Google
01-13-2010, 10:43 PM
the rust warranty on the 04-05s were quietly extended to 6 years. that is how i was able to get the rusty door b-pillars fixed on my 04.

mazda is repairing/replacing doors on 04-05s with rusty b-pillars. with this TSB, it looks like they are trying to prevent that from happening on the 06-07s.
So it's just the B-pillar then? No TSB spray solution to treat other areas on the 04 and 05s?

Sparcas
01-15-2010, 12:23 PM
I just took my car into Aiport Mazda - there is a Recall for rust prevention... Took them 1.5 hours and they sprayed oil based chemicals in the doors to prevent rust....

Google
01-16-2010, 03:20 AM
I hear some dealers calling it a recall while others calling it a TSB.

thanu31
01-16-2010, 11:14 AM
lol yea

At scarboro mazda, when the technician came to the service manager and said "we dont have the parts to do the recall", he got mad, and hes like, its not a recall...... lol

but the letter i got from agincourt mazda, it says its a recall

weird

repoman_2
01-16-2010, 04:39 PM
It is not a recall. It is a special service program designed to prevent rust in the lower door seams and the door pillars. Some cars will also have the process completed on the trunk area as well. It all comes down to production date. They are not oil based chemicals sprayed into the doors either

yearoftherat
01-18-2010, 03:58 PM
I just got the letter today from Agincourt. Will call tomorrow to set up an appointment and see what happens.

jonjon72
01-19-2010, 08:44 AM
+1

Got a letter from Agincourt to contact them about the rust recall.

whiteomega
01-19-2010, 08:47 AM
as did I, unfortunately they're just too far away.

I popped by MoT, and they're servicing the TSB as well (though, oddly, I only have a letter from Agincourt).. my car goes in on Friday.

yearoftherat
01-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Made the appt today thru Agincourt for Thursday.Service advisor said it will take approx 3 hrs.

lancesir
01-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Just to clarify, can I still get this done if I did not purchase rustproofing from the dealer? My car is 07 model. I assume this TSB is for all qualifying vehicles not just ones that bought the rustproof option?

yearoftherat
01-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Just to clarify, can I still get this done if I did not purchase rustproofing from the dealer? My car is 07 model. I assume this TSB is for all qualifying vehicles not just ones that bought the rustproof option?

It shouldn't matter if you got your car rustproof somewhere else. Call your dealer to see if you qualify for the TSB.

lancesir
01-20-2010, 03:12 AM
That's what I figure. Thanks I will call my dealer and keep an eye out for mail.

bbell1984
01-20-2010, 08:31 AM
i got a letter in the mail last night that my call was elegible for a rust recall, i forget all the areas mentioned but i remember the hatch door was one area, and a couple pillars....
i'll be more accurate when i get home and read the letter again.......still half asleep right now

SilentJay
01-20-2010, 09:37 AM
:( No letter from MoT yet.

aris
01-20-2010, 11:02 AM
:( No letter from MoT yet.

If you call them they can tell you right on the phone if your car is part of the TSB with your vin

Cosmo77
01-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Its not a TSB or a recall! Its a MSP-Mazda Special Service Program, not a TSB, and not a RECALL...

discuss

yearoftherat
01-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Its not a TSB or a recall! Its a MSP-Mazda Special Service Program, not a TSB, and not a RECALL...

discuss

Yes you are correct!!! Give that man a medal :winner

repoman_2
01-20-2010, 07:51 PM
Yes you are correct!!! Give that man a medal :winner

At least someone understands!!

aris
01-20-2010, 08:18 PM

discuss

I only said TSB cause i couldn't rember what you called it..so i just called itTSB:)

Cosmo77
01-20-2010, 10:58 PM
:bowdown

Google
01-21-2010, 01:03 AM

discuss
I never heard of that. What is a MSP exactly? How is that different from a TSB?

aris
01-21-2010, 01:22 AM
I never heard of that. What is a MSP exactly?

cosmo77 said what it is

Zoom Zoom Boy
01-21-2010, 04:06 PM

discuss

This is not addressed at you Cosmo, but really, this is all pure marketing Semantics.

Call it what you will, but if it addresses a design flaw or defect that can lead to premature rust then it is a TSB, whether the folks in Mazda marketing like it or not. The design was apparently changed in subsequent years to correct this susceptibility. So, even though it has a nice marketing name with the word 'special' built right into it, it's still a freaking TSB.

A pig in a fancy dress with nice shoes is still a pig, not a giraffe. Unless, of course, you've had lots of beer. In which case, it is still a pig when you wake up the next morning.

yearoftherat
01-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Tim, I've never woken up to a pig before. Is this is what you see when you wake up:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/32/51679641_130b585ded.jpg

Zoom Zoom Boy
01-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Tim, I've never woken up to a pig before. Is this is what you see when you wake up:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/32/51679641_130b585ded.jpg

Only when I look into the mirror Chris. :chuckle

yearoftherat
01-21-2010, 07:40 PM
Had the Mazda Service Program done @ Agincourt Mazda this afternoon and here is what the MSP26B Hem/Sash consists of:
Apply rust preventative "wax" as I was told to the interior of the 4 doors as well as the door pillars themselves. I asked if this included the trunk and was told no b/c the rust issues were only to the doors themselves.
They replaced fasteners, 3M foam tape as well as a cavity protector(?)
Car smells of the product applied and hope it will go away over the next few days.
At the same time they did a vehicle inspection. Overall satisfied with the work, since I had/have no rust issues to begin with.

MikeyGT
01-22-2010, 11:33 AM
I was told from my dealer that you have to bring it back to the original dealer. Because each dealer use different rust proofing company and the warranty work is preform by the rust company not your dealer.

That's not true. I got my car from Markham Mazda , unfortunately, and they never gave me a call or cared about writing me a letter.

On the other hand, Mazda of Toronto took the initative to let me know it needs to be done

uoftguy
01-22-2010, 12:29 PM
I have an '07 speed3, I'm not sure if the speeds are affected by this whole rust issued. I hope not. I did some searching at the other forums and couldn't find any complaints about the speed3 so that's good.

Anyway, I was contemplating buying some "Rust Check" at crappy tire and just spraying my car myself.

- door panels are easy to remove, so is the trim on the b-pillar
- front fender looks accessible through a hole where it meets the front door*
- rear fender is accessible through the rear tail light after the tail light is unbolted and moved aside*
- hatch is like swiss cheese if you look at it so it should be easy to spray
- rockers can be accessed by removing the scuff guard trim*

*When I say "accessible" i mean if you use a rust application hose...found one that 3M makes for like $25 (google "3M rust wand"). You'll need an air compressor and $25 undercoat application gun.

I'm considering doing this DIY rust spraying every year or two. But not necessary because of all the issues with 04-05's...the 04-05 issue looks to be surface related rust (or rust just beneath the paint)...not inside to outside rust.

As a precaution to prevent surface rust, I bought a can of "Rocker Guard" at crappy tire and sprayed two layers on that flap of metal in the rear tire wells that down toward the tire. It seems like this is the area prone to rusting due paint damage. I also took a brush and applied it to the other side of this flap and edge as well. My cars black so the rock guard matches as applied....if my car were a different color, I'd probably paint over it to match. In spring, I will probably drop the bumper and apply rock to the fender side of the seam between the plastic bumper and metal fender, just to thicken up the paint in this area.

I'm no expert but i think it will help in the long run....I wish i didnt have to do all this but mazda f'd up big time. Sorry for the long draw out post but i can't stand rust!!

cwp_sedan
01-22-2010, 01:04 PM
I have an '07 speed3, I'm not sure if the speeds are affected by this whole rust issued. I hope not. I did some searching at the other forums and couldn't find any complaints about the speed3 so that's good.

Anyway, I was contemplating buying some "Rust Check" at crappy tire and just spraying my car myself.

- door panels are easy to remove, so is the trim on the b-pillar
- front fender looks accessible through a hole where it meets the front door*
- rear fender is accessible through the rear tail light after the tail light is unbolted and moved aside*
- hatch is like swiss cheese if you look at it so it should be easy to spray
- rockers can be accessed by removing the scuff guard trim*

*When I say "accessible" i mean if you use a rust application hose...found one that 3M makes for like $25 (google "3M rust wand"). You'll need an air compressor and $25 undercoat application gun.

I'm considering doing this DIY rust spraying every year or two. But not necessary because of all the issues with 04-05's...the 04-05 issue looks to be surface related rust (or rust just beneath the paint)...not inside to outside rust.

As a precaution to prevent surface rust, I bought a can of "Rocker Guard" at crappy tire and sprayed two layers on that flap of metal in the rear tire wells that down toward the tire. It seems like this is the area prone to rusting due paint damage. I also took a brush and applied it to the other side of this flap and edge as well. My cars black so the rock guard matches as applied....if my car were a different color, I'd probably paint over it to match. In spring, I will probably drop the bumper and apply rock to the fender side of the seam between the plastic bumper and metal fender, just to thicken up the paint in this area.

I'm no expert but i think it will help in the long run....I wish i didnt have to do all this but mazda f'd up big time. Sorry for the long draw out post but i can't stand rust!!

This thread about a TSB/RECALL/MSP is not the same as the one for the 04-06 for rust repair. This is something totally different to help prevent it on the doors. Your '07 may be affected since mine was and it's an '07.

uoftguy
01-22-2010, 02:04 PM
This thread about a TSB/RECALL/MSP is not the same as the one for the 04-06 for rust repair. This is something totally different to help prevent it on the doors. Your '07 may be affected since mine was and it's an '07.

Thanks! I owe you a beer.

I called my dealer for a second time after i read your post. The first time they said my car wasn't included. The second time, I guess someone more knowledgeable picked up. Apparently my car is included but its "class C". Class A is worse and requires the most panels to be sprayed.

The person explained that the 08's are no different in design...apparently '08 and above get this spray done in the factory...that's the only diff.

Well that's good, saves me some work. Thanks again.

ricohman
01-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Thanks! I owe you a beer.

I called my dealer for a second time after i read your post. The first time they said my car wasn't included. The second time, I guess someone more knowledgeable picked up. Apparently my car is included but its "class C". Class A is worse and requires the most panels to be sprayed.

The person explained that the 08's are no different in design...apparently '08 and above get this spray done in the factory...that's the only diff.
Well that's good, saves me some work. Thanks again.

Thats it?
They knew about a design flaw and all they could come up with was to coat the panels?
Talk about a cheapo quick fix. Sounds like the 80's all over again.

uoftguy
01-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Thats it?
They knew about a design flaw and all they could come up with was to coat the panels?
Talk about a cheapo quick fix. Sounds like the 80's all over again.

Well take it for what its worth...its just one guy behind a counter that told me this.

It sounds plausible to me though...its probably enough to hold off corrosion to a point when the owner is off warranty and not likely to complain too much.

whiteomega
01-23-2010, 10:55 PM
Well take it for what its worth...its just one guy behind a counter that told me this.

It sounds plausible to me though...its probably enough to hold off corrosion to a point when the owner is off warranty and not likely to complain too much.

Sounds more to me like the solution was conceived by Mazda's crack team of accountants.

In either case, be prepared to drive around in a smelly car for a couple of days. Also, I noticed there was a bit of drainage from this process that had leaked out onto the car's side skirts as the doors drained a bit. I was able to get most of it off using the pressure washer at a coin op, but use a little caution when doing this so you don't damage the paint..

5_Alive
01-26-2010, 01:41 AM
Taken directly from a voluntary e-mail sent to me by my great Service Manager at Chatham Mazda:

"We will be doing a MSP service to your car when it comes in on the 3rd. We will be looking at all 4 doors and the rear hatch to inspect for rust and if none is found then we will put a protector, hardener and clear coat around the door and trunk seals. Its not a recall so no letters were sent out to customers. The dealers will take care of the problem when the car comes in for service."

There is more to this e-mail, but nothing that is relevant to this thread..

So, yea. He doesn't lie to me either and he is always telling me things. I said do it if it has to be done since the car is going to be there to get other service work done anyways.

uoftguy
01-26-2010, 09:38 AM
Taken directly from a voluntary e-mail sent to me by my great Service Manager at Chatham Mazda:

"We will be doing a MSP service to your car when it comes in on the 3rd. We will be looking at all 4 doors and the rear hatch to inspect for rust and if none is found then we will put a protector, hardener and clear coat around the door and trunk seals. Its not a recall so no letters were sent out to customers. The dealers will take care of the problem when the car comes in for service."

There is more to this e-mail, but nothing that is relevant to this thread..

So, yea. He doesn't lie to me either and he is always telling me things. I said do it if it has to be done since the car is going to be there to get other service work done anyways.

Man, this sounds much different than what i was told...it sounds more like a surface treatment. I'm taking my 2007 speed in today at lunch. I will try to find out exactly what they are doing when i drop it off.

uoftguy
01-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Man, this sounds much different than what i was told...it sounds more like a surface treatment. I'm taking my 2007 speed in today at lunch. I will try to find out exactly what they are doing when i drop it off.

5 alive is correct. It appears as though they are applying something around the perimeter of the doors and hatch...sounds like its to make it more chip resistant.

I mistook this "spray" around the edges to be an internal spray the first time it was explained to me.

phoenix_bladen
01-27-2010, 10:49 PM
I got a call from Markham Mazda today apparently they left me a voicemail because I didn't pick up in time.

So yea basically it's the TSB whatever you guys discussed I'll probably will need to book an appointment and bring it in next week for them to do this.

Hey guys I did my rust proofing at Krown Rust Proof is that ok with this TSB? Cause it looks like they are going to do something to my doors so I hope they don't see my krown rust proof parts where they drill the doors or whatever......!

can someone please confirm?

whiteomega
01-28-2010, 08:06 AM
I got a call from Markham Mazda today apparently they left me a voicemail because I didn't pick up in time.

So yea basically it's the TSB whatever you guys discussed I'll probably will need to book an appointment and bring it in next week for them to do this.

Hey guys I did my rust proofing at Krown Rust Proof is that ok with this TSB? Cause it looks like they are going to do something to my doors so I hope they don't see my krown rust proof parts where they drill the doors or whatever......!

This would be something to ask Krown, I think. The two sprays may not be (and probably aren't) compatible.

aris
01-28-2010, 10:37 AM

Your rust proof you did at Krown will not affect the Tsb...

mazdaskit
01-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Went to mazda to pick up some parts.. & asked if mine was on this recall for it which it was.. told me when i come in Feb for my service to just make sure i add a extra 40-50 mins extra. So they can do the work

phoenix_bladen
01-28-2010, 05:48 PM
Your rust proof you did at Krown will not affect the Tsb...

thanks guys!

Cosmo77
01-28-2010, 05:55 PM
There are three different levels of the msp26. The shortest process takes 30-45 mins while the other two take upwards of three hours.

The process for inside the door panels dose not use a spray. Frankly I have done a few cars with "Krown" and "rust Check" stickers on them and have not seen that much "spray" in the actual door panels anyhow LOL

Cosmo

uoftguy
01-28-2010, 11:09 PM
There are three different levels of the msp26. The shortest process takes 30-45 mins while the other two take upwards of three hours.

The process for inside the door panels dose not use a spray. Frankly I have done a few cars with "Krown" and "rust Check" stickers on them and have not seen that much "spray" in the actual door panels anyhow LOL

Cosmo

Cosmo, can you explain what the actual process is? When I did my car, it was end of day and the tech's were gone...the chick at the desk couldnt really explain to me what the msp involved.

I take it from your post, that you are a service tech? Thanks.

Cosmo77
01-28-2010, 11:36 PM
it reallt depends on what process you had done. What does you invoice say? msp26 a, b, or c,?

Cosmo

uoftguy
01-28-2010, 11:44 PM
it reallt depends on what process you had done. What does you invoice say? msp26 a, b, or c,?

Cosmo

MSP26C is what was on my invoice.

Also got another question unrelated to this msp if thats cool, I'll PM you.

mazda lover
02-01-2010, 02:50 PM
I have a 2005 sedan, asked my dealer and they said my car's vin number is not included for the MSP26, I guess 2005 is too far gone.

repoman_2
02-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Applicable VIN #'s will be in the 2006 and 2007 model years only

zap50
02-03-2010, 06:02 PM
I have a 2006 sedan and had mine done today, took about three hours ,after they told me i had some rust by my tail lights on the trunk lid and said they will fix it under warrenty. All I have to do is take it to the body shop.This was done by regina mazda and I am very pleased with the service manager there.

TheMAN
02-03-2010, 08:01 PM
"B" involves cutting off and replacing the B-pillar part of the back door's window frame... "C" involves cutting off and replacing the entire back door's window frame (sedans only)
all a major PITA from what I can tell... this is all a body shop job

phoenix_bladen
02-04-2010, 12:09 AM
hey guys i just got this done today apparently the guy told me it's similar to rust proof and i do smell something in my car now it's like some sort of chemical spray

anyways my invoice showed me i got the

MP26A

- prevention trunk/hem/sash

prevention for front doors, rear doors, trunk lid and got a sash kit, trunk kit, and hem kit

i'm not really sure what all this means but if someone knows could they let me know what exactly was done for the MP26A?

Thanks!

-cj-
02-04-2010, 08:23 PM
+1 ... What does MP26A involve? Just regular rust proofing?

silverspeed2.5
02-05-2010, 09:15 AM
The vehicles have been prematurely rusting inside the panels of the doors, trunk, and ...I forget the other. Mazda Canada has issued 3 recalls
MP26A
MP26B
MP26C
A - all three areas, B - two areas, C- one area (doors only)
The mecahnic will have a look at the problem area, and if it has begun to rust, they will replace the part under Warranty. If there is not yet any rust, they spray a compound onto the problematic area to prevent rusting.

This isn't the same as Rust Proofing, which should be done on your vehicle to prolong it's life.

m_bisson
02-07-2010, 04:59 PM

they never called me.... i have an 06 from them.

silverspeed2.5
02-08-2010, 04:21 PM
they never called me.... i have an 06 from them.

call ur dealer and request them to look up ur vin in service and check for any recalls. I believe '06 model is the A service which requires all three areas to be checked and sprayed...process takes a few hours

phoenix_bladen
02-18-2010, 10:49 AM
call ur dealer and request them to look up ur vin in service and check for any recalls. I believe '06 model is the A service which requires all three areas to be checked and sprayed...process takes a few hours

that is corrected I received the A service

it seems like they just spray it with a chemical similar to rust proof oil based however they do take a part some plastics and covers to have them sprayed inside as well.

woodsy102
03-17-2010, 07:27 PM
I took my 06 mazda 3 to the dealer on the 29 of janurary for the other recall work on my car. I had the Transmission pipe service and the door lock service done and they said thats all the recalls available on my car. Now i have to go back again?!?!

Is this a special question to ask them or is it voluntary?

zoomzoom33
03-17-2010, 09:37 PM
had mine done 2 weeks ago and I wasnt too happy today. After getting it done I didnt bother cleaning/washing off the extra spray that got on the side of my door and the excess that dripped from the bottom of the door and on to the side skirt. I went to wash my car today and find out that all that extra drip became hard to the touch. I couldnt get it off and wondering if anyone else has this problem after the rust proof recall? I called the dealer and will be going this saturday so they can look at it.

VascoF1
03-20-2010, 12:25 AM
I have the exact same problem. Where did you get the work completed? I plan to return to Direct Mazda in Mississauga as it has eaten into the rocker panel mouldings as well the paint under the doors.

I am not going to be happy with them trying to take it off as it will scratch and strip the paint. Likewise, if they try painting it, it will chip eventually. Please report back on your experience at the dealer.

I will do the same.

zoomzoom33
03-23-2010, 08:56 PM
I have the exact same problem. Where did you get the work completed? I plan to return to Direct Mazda in Mississauga as it has eaten into the rocker panel mouldings as well the paint under the doors.

I am not going to be happy with them trying to take it off as it will scratch and strip the paint. Likewise, if they try painting it, it will chip eventually. Please report back on your experience at the dealer.

I will do the same.

I took mine in to have it looked at this past weekend and they re-scheduled me to come back this thursday to have their detailer have a go at it to try to remove it. They told me it should be more like a wax like substance and was surprised it had hardened up like crazy glue. Anyhow i will see how it goes on thursday and let you know. I just hope they dont end up chipping or scratching the paint.

Effin Itai
03-23-2010, 10:38 PM
So this TSB only refers to 06 and newer. How about 04's? lol. Someone send me the link for the tsd please just for my knowledge.

VascoF1
03-25-2010, 09:46 PM
I took mine in to have it looked at this past weekend and they re-scheduled me to come back this thursday to have their detailer have a go at it to try to remove it. They told me it should be more like a wax like substance and was surprised it had hardened up like crazy glue. Anyhow i will see how it goes on thursday and let you know. I just hope they dont end up chipping or scratching the paint.

Thanks for sharing. I have since brought mine in and Direct Mazda was not able to remove this material. They have recommended that the side mouldings be removed and repainted. Not the greatest solution but the best one at this point. They've since removed the mouldings and I am awaiting a call back from them on when they can take the car back to have it reinstalled. I will ensure that the paint properly matches and they are ultimately responsible for any chipping in the future.

-cj-
03-25-2010, 11:08 PM
Does anyone have pics of the specific areas they target? I gave the wife's car a quick look over and didn't notice anything out of place. I'd rather ensure I didn't miss anything....... She got all 3 areas done.

zoomzoom33
03-26-2010, 10:32 PM
Thanks for sharing. I have since brought mine in and Direct Mazda was not able to remove this material. They have recommended that the side mouldings be removed and repainted. Not the greatest solution but the best one at this point. They've since removed the mouldings and I am awaiting a call back from them on when they can take the car back to have it reinstalled. I will ensure that the paint properly matches and they are ultimately responsible for any chipping in the future.

My dealer also could not remove the stain and the service manager was not in so I have to go back to see what his toughts would be to repairing the stains. I have it stuck on both side skirts, part of my passenger side door and the bottom of all four doors. From what i can tell he sprayed waaayyy tooooo much and tried to wipe it away and didnt do a good job of it. kind of upset about the entire situation.

Does anyone have pics of the specific areas they target? I gave the wife's car a quick look over and didn't notice anything out of place. I'd rather ensure I didn't miss anything....... She got all 3 areas done.

I'll take some pics tomorrow and post it. The rust proof turns into a super glue like hardness and with all the dirt sticking to it, it turns into sand paper. Just keep an eye out on the lower part of your door and side skirt.

JaYson
05-19-2010, 04:22 PM
are there any updates on this issue?

one of the mechanics told me that the proper procedure is to:
1) clean the car entirely
2) apply the chemical
3) keep the car overnight so that dirt doesn't embed itself in the coating

they did only 1.5 of these steps. luckily i noticed the drips on my panel and had them wipe it off immediately after they gave the car back.

Unfortunately, there are finger prints, and bits of dirt embedded along the edges of the door, and they are very clearly no longer smooth to the touch.

i voiced my concerns to someone from MoT who had called me to survey me about my experience with the service, he said he'd have the shop manager call me back...i havn't heard from anyone since (its been probably 3weeks?)

dkeil
07-04-2010, 02:15 PM
exact same issue - spray all over the skirt - mazda of white rock, bc

BiGBanG
07-06-2010, 04:40 PM
I just found out I have the same substance on the sides of my passenger doors and it's hard as rock...did Mazda fix it for you guys?

Go_Habs_Go
07-19-2010, 05:07 PM
This sounds ridiculous! They call you in to spray some sort of rust inhibitor on your vehicle and they aren't even sure of how the product will react? Clearly they didn't expect it to become rock hard as some of you have complained about.

What a joke...

For those of you who haven't had this done yet I would wait and see how this plays out before going in to get the work done.

Bean
08-19-2010, 05:03 PM
Got it done yesterday at Dave Wood. Didnt know a thing about it. Good thing I asked Eric if there were outstanding recalls on the car.

I dont notice any spray or fingerprints but the smell is bothering my daughter and I. Sigh

Hey_Chickee
10-02-2010, 04:02 PM
i heard it was for the 07s and it involved removing the door panels and spraying the inner door skin.

I just took my 2006 Mazda 3 in to my dealership (Autoworld Mazda in Leduc, AB) after getting 4 quotes for the 2 rust spots above both rear wheel wells. There was another lady in there and I overheard them saying something about a recall for rust proofing. I asked why I wasn't told about this and she said that it was for 2007's or newer. :(

TheMAN
10-09-2010, 04:15 PM
they are wrong.... the MSP26 recall affects 06 and 07s
rust prevention of the door panels (not window frames) are for 04-09s (TSB only)... cars affected under MSP26 will get the rust prevention done and/or repaired at the same time
the rusting rear wheel arches are for 04-09s, TSB only

olgeezer1
12-28-2010, 04:42 PM
Same drip from beneath doors over lower mouldings. Dealer(Carling Mazda, Ottawa) took pictures. They were unable to remove this stuff- hard as a rock. They're suggesting that Mazda will authorize them to repaint both lower mouldings. Have had good treatment from these guys so far so will wait to see how it plays out. Supposed to get word in Jan.

rajin929
01-25-2011, 08:42 AM
We recently received the letter from Mazda advising to take in my wifes 07 to get this done.

Reading about the issues of the chemical turning hard and the dealer not being able to remove it makes me REALLY worried about taking the car in now. :(

The letter states we have until March 31 to make the appointment to bring the car in, i'm going to wait a few more weeks to see how things pan out. I'm thinking of maybe removing a door panel and the trunk lid carpet and having a look at it myself

nsh
01-25-2011, 08:16 PM
I too received a letter today, saying the same thing. I'm wondering how many people are actually going to have this done? Anyone? All these posts seem super old, so I apologize for bumping an old thread. Buttttttttt... I've only had my 2007 Mazda 3 for a year. I don't want it to rust :(

petemjones
01-26-2011, 09:37 AM
I also just received a letter from Mazda asking me to take my 2007 GT M3 into the dealer for a rust check. I will be doing it soon.

Booter22
01-26-2011, 05:03 PM
Good Day Everyone,

Just an FYI - We have been doing this repair for a while now, there has been some vehicles in which there was over spray of the rust prevention. In these cases the chemicals can be removed, it does take a few washes but it does come off.

So please do not be worried about any potential damage. This is a procedure developed as a preventative maintenance to inhibit any perforation. This is divided in a few different areas:

Rear tail lamps and third brake lights – Sedans
Door hems - Sedans and Hatchbacks
Door sash welds - Sedans and Hatchbacks

If you do plan to book your service appointment be advised it can take a few hours to completed, unless there is a lot of perforation repair required the vehicle should be completed in the same day.

If you do have any other questions please feel free to contact me.

Pyro
01-27-2011, 03:12 PM
I got this letter to come in too. How would it work if I had my car rust proof elsewhere as well? I had the treatment done by MD&D

stuff

Booter22
01-27-2011, 09:37 PM
The perforation prevention should not interfere with your rust proofing. The areas I did mention including behind the tail lights, behind the door sash for the welds are not normally rust proofed to begin with. The only area that may be affected could be the door hems, but the prevention is for behind the door hem. If your rust proofing is only on top you should be ok unless a repair is required.

Be sure to check with your local service dealer for what procedure is required or pm me you’re Vin and I can tell you.

HYPER GEAR
02-14-2012, 11:20 PM
I was wondering, with all the mazda3 owners with their rust problems, Would you consider another a new mazda3?

HYPER GEAR
02-14-2012, 11:21 PM
I had a 2005 mazda3 hatch gt. with the same rust problems...

aris
02-14-2012, 11:21 PM
I was wondering, with all the mazda3 owners with their rust problems, Would you consider another a new mazda3?
Never again

aris
02-14-2012, 11:23 PM
I had a 2005 mazda3 hatch gt. with the same rust problems...
My sister inlaw 08 is rusting... It started when the car was 2 years old..it's already gotten repaired summer of 2010 and summer of 2011 and now it's back again

ParsM3GT
02-15-2012, 07:54 AM
My sister inlaw 08 is rusting... It started when the car was 2 years old..it's already gotten repaired summer of 2010 and summer of 2011 and now it's back again

My Mazda is a 05 and I`ve had the rust repaired 4 times in less than 3 years and it always comes back within months. Mazda Canada wouldn`t cover it anymore after that. My warranty is fininshed now. And it needs to be repaired again.:bang

Bean
02-15-2012, 09:13 AM

The Mazda was a wonderful car and I do miss it alot, but I would never get another one. Have a 1998 Corolla now with Zero Rust.

rajin929
02-15-2012, 11:52 PM
Never again

+1

i was so pissed to see rust on my wifes 07 sedan. not a speck of rust on my 05 accord

Bosshammy
02-16-2012, 08:36 PM
is this only for the hatch i have a 06 sedan with rust issues on the trunk, bought it in sept no warrentys added..

aris
02-16-2012, 08:47 PM
is this only for the hatch i have a 06 sedan with rust issues on the trunk, bought it in sept no warrentys added..
It's minor for the trunk this tsb.. This is for the pillars

Bosshammy
02-16-2012, 09:55 PM
It's minor for the trunk this tsb.. This is for the pillars

i do have some rust for the passanger back door as well, my rust on the trunk is around the brake lights forgot to add

aris
02-16-2012, 10:52 PM
i do have some rust for the passanger back door as well, my rust on the trunk is around the brake lights forgot to add
If your car is under 5 years old it's covered under Mazda warranty... Their is many threads about rust on our cars..check them out... All the info you need are in those threads.

Bosshammy
02-17-2012, 02:20 PM
i will find out monday if im elgiable or not , question though.. I bought the car still in the 5 year time frame but they sold me knowing that it was a TSB would they be liable to get it done because i wasnot informed about any TSB at the time of purchase?

Impressive
02-17-2012, 11:57 PM
If your car is under 5 years old it's covered under Mazda warranty... Their is many threads about rust on our cars..check them out... All the info you need are in those threads.

^this. For 04-06, the rust warranty was extended to 6 years however I think most if not all of those warranties are over & they're now only doing 07+ models which only came with a 5 year warranty for rust from Mazda.

Bosshammy
02-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Well fropm what it sounds they do not want to back up the warranty. Heres my situation please help me out!...

I was searching for a car and found which is now my 3, I had been chatting with the sales rep for a few days and at one point pointed out that there was a good ammount of rust on the trunk around the brake lights and on the passanger piller and i asked if there was a warranty that could help me out when i wanted them fixed. he said no. I come to find out recently that there was a warranty that I would have been covered by but it is not expired. I call city mazda of halifax and present the issue shop service guy looks up my vin and sure enough i cant get it now tried to speak further with the guy adn he hangs up on me. i call the main desk they put me through to the bussiness side adn he said he sees the situation that i am in but didnt help much. So i contacted the sales rep that sold me the car and tells me it had a 5 year 100k km warranty. with a quick google i find on auto.com that its a 5 year unlimited km warranty. point im trying to make is that I asked and have two witinesses that were there (my parents) when i asked if there was any outstanding warrantys.

what do ya'll think of this or am i just making a fool out my self??

Booter22
02-20-2012, 05:46 PM
nope. send me the vin. i will send you the warranty coverage remaining, and at the least thats the fastest way to double check that as it is 5 year coverage for perforation. i dont see why if you were covered why they would decline it but it would be interesting to see the warranty start date. so send that my way ill check tomorrow and let you know what it says. cant really advise much with out knowing if it is / isnt covered or even close to the warranty anymore. the dealership if it is covered could take it to the next step and send a ticket for coverage in. if that ticket is declined if the warranty is expired then they could ask there dealer rep if they would consider AWA ( after warranty assistance) they may cover it all. they may offer a 50% coverage in which you would have to pay the remainder or they may decline it outright but again it all depends on the warranty start dates.

Bosshammy
02-21-2012, 02:59 PM
nope. send me the vin. i will send you the warranty coverage remaining, and at the least thats the fastest way to double check that as it is 5 year coverage for perforation. i dont see why if you were covered why they would decline it but it would be interesting to see the warranty start date. so send that my way ill check tomorrow and let you know what it says. cant really advise much with out knowing if it is / isnt covered or even close to the warranty anymore. the dealership if it is covered could take it to the next step and send a ticket for coverage in. if that ticket is declined if the warranty is expired then they could ask there dealer rep if they would consider AWA ( after warranty assistance) they may cover it all. they may offer a 50% coverage in which you would have to pay the remainder or they may decline it outright but again it all depends on the warranty start dates.

Ill grab the vin when my class is done in about a halfhour and pm it