PDA

View Full Version : A/C is turned on for certain fan settings, but light doesn't come on?

Elusivellama
03-19-2010, 03:05 PM
So I was reading my manual the other day and I read that A/C is turned on when the fan mode is set to floor vent ~ defrost modes, but the A/C indicator light does NOT come on. Does anybody know for sure if this is true? I've never heard of the A/C indicator light not coming on when the fan mode is switched. My '02 Civic automatically turned the A/C on for floor vent ~ defrost modes, but at least the A/C light came on, giving me the option to turn it off....

JSI
03-19-2010, 03:29 PM
Yep, anything to the right on the dial will turn the AC on.

gabbygenier
03-19-2010, 03:33 PM
the floor/defrost is the only setting that the A/C dosent come on for as far as i know. never did on my car at fan settings of 1 or 4

Elusivellama
03-19-2010, 03:36 PM
Hmm nice, thanks for the confirmation. I try to save the A/C for really hot days, highway driving on hot days and rainy/humid days where I need to remove window fog. It's just weird (and somewhat irritating) to not have the A/C indicator light come on when it's actually on....

gabbygenier
03-19-2010, 03:44 PM
im not sure if it even comes on though. try it out, crank the ac when ur car is warmed up so you know itll be pushing cold air, put it on the floor/defrost with fan at 4, keep ur hand on the vent and then change it to floor/body to see if it gets colder or not, then youll know if it actually comes on or not.

liquidzyklon
03-19-2010, 06:32 PM
The way I tell if the A/C or compressor is on is when I am idling a warmed up engine. When the AC or compressor is off, the engine would idle lower at about 500-600 RPM. But if the A/C or compressor is on then the car would idle at about 750 RPM. It's very noticeable if you just turn your fan setting from 0 to 1. Give it a try to determine which settings actually causes the AC or compressor to come on.

I think what Mazda wants to do is to have the compressor on to remove humidity but not have the indicator on b/c people would turn it off thinking it's "cooling" the air or making the car less fuel efficient. The problem would then be a bunch of people complaining about their cars fogging up too much. That's my theory behind it.

Elusivellama
03-19-2010, 10:21 PM
Just tested it... as soon as I set it to lower vent (the one with the arrow pointing at the 'sitting person's feet), I hear the A/C kick in. I had the door open when I did it.

m_bisson
03-19-2010, 11:52 PM
ya.. you can hear it. It won't cool the air, just dehumidifies it. And it goes on/off as needed.

07m3gt
03-21-2010, 02:27 PM
ya i dont like it either we should have the option to turn it off. when its not needed something mazda has to work on