PDA

View Full Version : MS CAI pricing?

Turok
03-22-2010, 01:02 PM
So I'm looking at getting a CAI for my MS3 finally. And I checked the pricing at Westtown mazda and Direct Mazda in Mississauga and they both offered different prices on the CAI.

Is this normal are come Mazda dealers cheaper than others?

The total price including install was over $600 at both places.. which is crazy is you ask me.

Will Mazda let you buy the CAI kit from them and install it yourself or are you required to let them install it for you?

Thoughts?

philipfreire
03-22-2010, 01:05 PM
So I'm looking at getting a CAI for my MS3 finally. And I checked the pricing at Westtown mazda and Direct Mazda in Mississauga and they both offered different prices on the CAI.

The total price including install was over $600 at both places.. which is crazy is you ask me.

Will Mazda let you buy the CAI kit from them and install it yourself or are you required to let them install it for you?

Thoughts?

Yeah Its normal for them to offer different prices. Sometimes they will give you a 10-15% discount sometimes they wont.

Contact Joe at Mazda Of Toronto and hey can get you the intake with the TM3 discount. (15%) so basically saves you tax.

I would recommend installing it yourself. It won't void any warranty. Its hella easy! 416 642 1333 is his number.

Fobio
03-22-2010, 01:07 PM
sorry for thread jack...but what's up with this:

"IF YOU PICK UP GUYS OR GIRLS ON THIS SITE, YOU ARE PATHETIC. HAVE A GOOD DAY!"

lol

Thoughts?

There are lotsa of mildly used ones on sale sometimes here, and always on MSF.org...you can prolly find one for under $200...sometimes with new filter and the oh-so-important air-straightener.

Turok
03-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Cool, thanks for the replies :)

Turok
03-22-2010, 01:20 PM

lol

There are lotsa of mildly used ones on sale sometimes here, and always on MSF.org...you can prolly find one for under $200...sometimes with new filter and the oh-so-important air-straightener.

MSF.org? Lol that's not a car site..

philipfreire
03-22-2010, 01:21 PM

lol

Check your PM's.

As for the intake.. yeah theres used ones up on sale here. In fact I know someone selling one. Contact Craigrodrigues88, he lives in my area and last I spoke to him hes selling his. contact him for a price. I'm sure its a hell of a lot cheaper than what you pay at any dealership.

Fobio
03-22-2010, 01:22 PM
msf.org = mazdaspeedforums.org

Turok
03-22-2010, 01:27 PM
I know this is off topic and the thread I started..

But would you guys recommend getting a MS CAI vs a K&N 69 Series Typhoon SRI?

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=69-6011TS

I know the MS CAI has the tubing that runs into the bumper with the filter, vs the SRI which is short tube and filter within the engine compartment.

Thoughts on which one is better if one is better than the other.. I use to have a CAI with my old Mazda P5, but this is different since it's turbo charged etc.. and diff engine..

Anyways thoughts and suggestions please :D

philipfreire
03-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Actually the MS3 intake can be either a SRI or CAI. The only thing I would suggest if you do get the MS3 is get a DRY FLOW filter.

Fobio
03-22-2010, 01:30 PM
SRi is easier to clean and install, and have almost zero worries about hydrolock (running into a puddle of water and sucking water in thru the intake)

a conscious driver with a CAI should not have issues with hydrolock, but hey...shit happens...and it did several times on this very board.

the MS CAI is a factory mod, so your warranty is intact, and I know several ppl who run the CAI in SRI mode...

Turok
03-22-2010, 01:37 PM
Ok cool.. ya when I had my CAI for my old Mazda P5 I was always conscious of large puddles on the road.. well I even am now without a CAI.. ok that's good to know that you can go with a SRI mode or a CAI mode.

Is the filter that comes with the MS CAI a DRY FLOW? or is it just a cone filter in general. My old CAI was a K&N which had a filter cover, which repelled water.

Thanks for all the info Phillie and Fobio

Fobio
03-22-2010, 01:39 PM
the MS CAI is a rebranded AEM intake, and uses the AEM dry-flow filter...MajesticBlueNTO picked one up from Joe@MOT for like $50?

horto
03-22-2010, 01:46 PM
why MS CAI instead of Cobb SRI?

SRI's are easy to install, maintain, and not hydrolock.

Plus the Cobb is only about $175-$200.

Turok
03-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Any thoughts on the K&N 69 Series typhoon which is also a SRI?

SKYMP3
03-22-2010, 02:15 PM
You are 1 week late, someone in the forum just sold his MS CAI for 160$ last week, he was posting here since 2-3 weeks.

Turok
03-22-2010, 02:24 PM
Ya so I've heard, oh well what can ya do :)

Speed_Demon
03-22-2010, 04:58 PM
SRi is easier to clean and install, and have almost zero worries about hydrolock (running into a puddle of water and sucking water in thru the intake)

a conscious driver with a CAI should not have issues with hydrolock, but hey...shit happens...and it did several times on this very board.

the MS CAI is a factory mod, so your warranty is intact, and I know several ppl who run the CAI in SRI mode...

Does that mean I've voided my warranty with my COBB SRI? heh

SKYMP3
03-22-2010, 05:07 PM
^

Unless they can proof that your Cobb SRI screwed up the car.

I have a MS CAI and Check engine lights went on (not right after the installation), they didn't mention anything about my CAI installed and just replace the O2 sensor.

Sean80
03-22-2010, 05:44 PM
Get a SRI. I had a MS CAI on my old 3. It was great, but a pain in the ass to get at it when you want to clean it. Especially if your car is lowered. I just bought speed and I'm definitely going with a cobb SRI. Much easier to maintain and simple to install. Not to mention the money you save on the purchase/install.....

craigrodrigues88
03-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Don't forget, the MS CAI can be installed in SRI mode as well as CAI. I have it in SRI mode now with no problems. The fact that it was warranty approved is what did it for me though!

Fobio
03-23-2010, 02:17 PM
PM me if your interested...I think someone local may be selling soon. =)

WeatherB
03-23-2010, 03:12 PM
I seem to remember there being an issue with the MS CAI a few years back and them being pulled off production? Anyone else remember this or am I losing my marbles? I think something about the MAF housing not being the correct size and causing CELs.

You also want to look into the warranty under which the MS CAI falls, there is a colour code that dictates whether it needs to be installed by a dealership in order to be warranted.

Look into the COBB SRI, probably less risks there considering that you don't need to worry about puddles.

Turok
03-23-2010, 03:28 PM
I do remember this about them being recalled or production was stopped. I was offered the option to buy a MS CAI when I bought my MS3 2007, but I passed initially. Then I went back to the dealer the following year in the spring to buy one.. and they said they had been recalled/production stopped by Mazda Canada or something.. So basically months went buy and I kept asking everytime I had my car serviced but they said it was still not available. I think it was someitme in 2009 when they re-released the MS CAI for the MS3 and I asked the parts manager at Mazda Direct and he said they changed something with the housing and the way the air filter sits or how the tubing was bent.. something like that..

Anyways no your not losing your marbles.