PDA

View Full Version : looking for some re-assurance...

Speed_Demon
03-25-2010, 01:12 PM
So basically, in February, I decided I wanted to lower the car. Did lots of research and decided to go with the COBB springs ($290), was going to stay with OEM shocks on my 07 MS3.

I'm still waiting for my springs to arrive (it's been 3 weeks) and I've paid my deposit.

Last weekend I had my summer rims/tires put on when Jimmy noticed my rear shock was blown, tried to get Mazda to cover it, they wouldn't and they said it was $165 for a new shock + labour which he said was $200 (so about $400 total). So I ordered and paid my deposit for Koni yellows to match up with the COBB springs because I didn't want to miss out on the good prices and it made sense to get the yellows for the extra cost because Jimmy is giving me a good deal to install them all at once.

Now I feel like I should have spent $200 more on BC coilovers ($1200), but all my deposits were already paid because of the way everything played out, I was not expecting to spend $1000, but I feel like for the extra $200 it would be better for the coilovers. Now, I'm kinda stuck with deposits paid and parts ordered.

Am I going to be disappointed with COBB springs and Yellows? I know the yellows have a lifetime warranty and the coilovers don't. Is there much of a performance difference going my route vs the coils? This is my DD, I may track the car once this summer. I basically got the COBB springs because I wanted the one inch drop and a little more handling performance. I'm sure the springs and yellows will be a good match.

This has been eating at me for a couple days. Any reassurance would be great, I don't want to feel like I've spent so much and I am going the wrong route. But at the same time, it's how everything played out and deposits paid, so I'm kinda stuck.

rob3
03-25-2010, 02:12 PM
Well one should always make note that when you lower a car with only springs you blow your shock. This can never be avoided. When you put a smaller spring on a shock you put pressure on the shock rod and it can never go to full extension again. A shock isnt made to have that constant pressure. Im sure you already know this now that you have blown your shock.

The difference between koni yellows and coilovers? Coilovers, depending on the brand, will allow a stiffer spring weight, a better adjustable dampening, and you can adjust the ride height to your liking. A coilover is also not recommended in the winter afaik. They don't do well at freezing temperatures. Its better to have stock suspension for the winter and coils for the summer.

Hope this helps u a little bit in your decision.

Speed_Demon
03-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Yea, it's not really a decision. I've already paid my deposits because the series of events. I was just second guessing everything that has happened.

I am good with my purchases though. The yellows are dampening adjustable and lifetime warranty. From what I've read, the only major difference is the ride height on the BC coils as they are adjustable as well, but no lifetime warranty.

The springs give me a 1 inch drop which is more than the prokits, which is what I wanted.

Oh well, I should have everything installed soon, once the parts are in. I'll also be putting on the TP RSB, so I should see a night and day difference in handling. That, I can't wait to experience!

Fobio
03-25-2010, 02:51 PM
it's not a common combo, but you're not the only one...

one thing you gotta learn with this car...no one's going to hold your hand...it's not expensive enough of a car where there are pre-fab suspension/engine/power solutions where there'll be hundreds of guys before you...it comes with the territories...

best to ask questions like you did and read...here's soemthing that'll help you hopefully...

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f12/koni-yellows-w-cobb-springs-stock-springs-52070/

on a personal note, spending $200 more on BC's will not get you $200 more worth of suspension, unless all you want to do is go crazy low and tell ppl you have coil-overs...

ppl can say all they want, but a set of coil-overs @ ~$1000 are not the ones I'd personally go for...proper set of coil-overs from H&R, KONI or KW will easily cost twice that much but prolly offer about 4x the perfomance...I didn't get the KW v3's for $1800USD becuase I can get KONI Yellows plus enough track tires for the season...or that'd like be my track fee for the year, for the difference between KONI Yellow's and KW v3's...

at the end of the day, it really depends on the driving you plan to do...if you're just going for stance, anything low will do, if you want to go fast, then start reading and go driving...

Speed_Demon
03-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Thanks Fobio.

Yeah, I though about that after. I would rather have the COBB springs and yellows with lifetime warranty and spend $1k then getting the cheapest (price wise) coils on the market. The old saying, you get what you pay for. I was not going to spend $2k or more on coils. So for my application, this will be perfect for the price point and due to I had already ordered the springs when my shock blew and then found the good price on the yellows.... It's a no brainer. Thanks, I needed to feel better about it all, lol.

But now I'm basically broke and all I got was suspension parts and a COBB SRI.... I need a cp-e DP! I'd like to add some more power.

5_Alive
04-22-2010, 02:51 AM
Hey dude.. No worries. On a plus note, coil-overs, afaik, aren't the best application for a DD. You made a good choice going with what you ordered.
I have a set of Yellow's on order along with Eibach Pro's..

If you want more power, plain and simple grab a Cobb Access Port and have a nice day. My car is a monster now with that thing..

Speed_Demon
04-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Yeah, I just wish the yellows would arrive. I ordered them over a month ago....

I have my springs and tri-point RSB sitting at home. I want to install them all at once.

You would recommend the COBB AP before a cp-e catted DP? After I thought about it a bit, I may just do that. I am afraid of throwing cels or having a problem with the car and then that causing a warranty problem. But if I get the AP, I can easily remove it and put back the stock maps and clear cels!

5_Alive
04-27-2010, 11:30 PM
Access Port= best bang for buck. You wont throw CEL's because you aren't adding parts. Even then it is rare to get a CEL with a CAI or exhaust upgrade.

You can always unmarry the AP for dealer visits if you feel uncomfortable. If you are worried about warranty, def. DO NOT buy the CP-E downpipe, or any downpipe for that matter.

Speed_Demon
04-28-2010, 03:45 PM
Ok cool, thanks for the info! :)