PDA

View Full Version : Removing Side mouldings...?

mcordy
04-19-2010, 01:47 AM
I have an '05 mz3. If I remove the side mouldings will the paint look horrible due to UV not hitting the paint under the mouldings for all these years or will it be fine?

Thanks,

mcordy

coriolis
04-19-2010, 08:36 AM
On lighter colours it'll stick out for a bit, but for darker colours, most likely it'll be fine after a while. Just give it a nice wash.

My Titanium Grey had a line where the moulding was for the first month after taking it off, but its pretty much non-existent now.

stevenma188
04-19-2010, 08:51 AM
I did it on mine. Initially, I thought "oh crap" as the line was pretty visible on where the molding was. After a good wash and wax, you can't see it at all. From the looks of my car, it's definitely been parked outside most of its life, so you should be ok.

mcordy
04-19-2010, 07:56 PM
Thanks everyone, on my way to do it now :)

Skip
04-19-2010, 08:47 PM
to save you sometime, leave the car in sunlight for a few minutes until the paint heats up, then just pull them off slowly..i was surprised how easy they came off- no residue from the adhesive!

Default User
04-19-2010, 10:14 PM
....or you can use a hairdryer or heatgun, and some fishing line

mcordy
04-19-2010, 10:46 PM
I pulled them off and now I have lines of glue left behind :( Goo Gone?

S.F.W.
04-19-2010, 10:49 PM
I pulled them off and now I have lines of glue left behind :( Goo Gone?
goo gone, then clay bar.

mcordy
04-19-2010, 10:51 PM
Will the goo gone harm the paint in any way? Will it help to heat up the goo first?

PearlM3
04-19-2010, 11:12 PM
I just went out first thing in the morning, used a credit card to start it, then just pulled..lol..Came off no problem, used goo gone to get rid of the bits. I had a line for a while, but it's been about a month, and I have clay barred, and waxed it twice, and the line is gone.

mcordy
04-19-2010, 11:15 PM
I did it the same as you pearl, gonna go do the goo gone in the morning for now I have ugly lines where the trim was.

ericssonfan
05-03-2010, 09:58 AM
As soon as I read this thread, I couldn't wait to get off work so I could grab a bottle of Goo Gone so I could remove my side mouldings. My car is black and so far the paint doesnt seem off. I'm gonna give it a wash and see how it goes. I also used a credit card and there wasn't much sticky residue, mainly on the area where the ends of the strips used to be.

:bang for not removing the mouldings until now.

Matr1x
09-09-2010, 10:31 PM
I finally removed my mouldings after 2 years and was excited to do so. Driver side turned out great. But when I removed the passenger side mouldings I was horrified to find a pretty huge scratch where the side moulding was! It's not a normal scratch either, its more like a gash. It also feels like there is a slight indent in the door where the side moulding was vs. being smooth like the driver side. Is this a manufacturing defect? It looks like Mazda messed up the passenger side during manufacturing and instead of fixing it properly they decided to just cover it up with the side moulding. My question now is can I get Mazda to fix it? I also have an extended warranty on my car. Surely this is a manufacturing error and you can see that they tried to cover it up. Will they care that I tried to remove my side mouldings in the first place?

HELP!

stillmatic
12-22-2010, 07:53 PM
sorry to bring up an old thread but.....

My CWP car is 3 yrs old and I want to remove the mouldings. Do you know if it will leave a permanent line of differently coloured paint? I'm afraid any markings will be a lot more noticeable since its a white car. Any thoughts/advise?

cwp_sedan
12-22-2010, 07:54 PM
I pulled mine off about 2 years in and you can't see the lines anymore. It might be visible for a while but eventually it will fade. I would do it in the summer though.

bluemazda3
12-22-2010, 08:18 PM
I pulled mine off about 2 years in and you can't see the lines anymore. It might be visible for a while but eventually it will fade. I would do it in the summer though.

+1 yessir.. you wont notice it after a few washes...

stillmatic
12-22-2010, 08:21 PM
did you guys have to wax as well after removing or just let it blend in over time?

cwp_sedan
12-22-2010, 08:38 PM
did you guys have to wax as well after removing or just let it blend in over time?

I washed and clayed the area fist, then threw on some wax. There's nothing really else you can do other than a polish.

aris
12-22-2010, 11:24 PM
sorry to bring up an old thread but.....

My CWP car is 3 yrs old and I want to remove the mouldings. Do you know if it will leave a permanent line of differently coloured paint? I'm afraid any markings will be a lot more noticeable since its a white car. Any thoughts/advise?

Wait till summer

Once you remove the moldings use meguairs ultimate compound it might take a few passes then wax your car and you will never know their was moldings their

The Wolf
12-23-2010, 02:34 AM
Wait till summer

+1

bluemazda3
12-23-2010, 07:17 PM
yeah i wouldnt do it right now... summer would be easier

stillmatic
12-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Thanks guys! I will definately be doing this in the summer since my mouldings have a yellowiish hue to them now.