PDA

View Full Version : K&N oiled cone filter .VS AEM Dryflow filter

Turok
04-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Which filter is better or are they equally the same?

I was looking around at filters lastnight and I was wondering which filter would trap more microscopic debris, particles in the air etc..

I would think the K&N filter since it's an oiled filter, but I could be wrong.

Cleaning the AEM cone filter seems like it would be easier since you can just use water and the AEM cleaning solution or mild detergent.

Are there any advantages or disadvantages between the two?

Thoughts?

MSMitch
04-19-2010, 07:37 PM
I've got both of them (for my CP-e CAI) - just put on the AEM - haven't noticed any difference. But the cleaning is easier and apparently, the AEM filters a bit better than oiled ones. I'm going to likely use the AEM in the summer and the oiled K&N in the winter when I switch rims over... Well, that wasn't much help was it??

laksman91
04-19-2010, 07:51 PM
From what I've read, oiled filters tend to cause problems by making the MAF sensor dirty? Especially with the high suction force.

Zoom Zoom Boy
04-20-2010, 11:16 AM
From what I've read, oiled filters tend to cause problems by making the MAF sensor dirty? Especially with the high suction force.

Oiled filters can also gunk up the throttle body. Especially true when they are cleaned and then over-oiled and put back in the car.

froggy
04-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Oiled filters can also gunk up the throttle body. Especially true when they are cleaned and then over-oiled and put back in the car.

that's why many people who use an oiled filter buy 2 of them. when they change to the new one they clean the old one, oil it and let it sit until the one they just put in is dirty. By the time that happens all of the "excess" oil should have drained out

The Johal
04-20-2010, 01:34 PM
The dry flow doesnt need to be cleaned, where as the oiled one those, and it needs to be air dryd which takes a day or two and unless you have another sitting around theres no driving..i could be wrong though.

Turok
04-20-2010, 01:51 PM
The dry flow doesnt need to be cleaned, where as the oiled one those, and it needs to be air dryd which takes a day or two and unless you have another sitting around theres no driving..i could be wrong though.

I was reading on the AEM website and they provide instruction on cleaning the cone filters for the AEM CAI aka MS CAI (AEM makes the MS CAI do they not?)

Has anyone else who has a AEM Dryflow filter ever cleaned it?

Pilzz
04-20-2010, 04:02 PM
They both have to be cleaned. The only difference is that once the AEM (MS) is dry you can put it back on the car whereas the oil filter has to dry and then you have to re-oil it, then it can be put back on the car.

I have the MS CAI on my car and I wash my filters every 6 months or so.

Nextmod
04-20-2010, 04:18 PM
ya I personally like the AEM dry flows better, thats all we stock now

never had a problem. no need to reoil (I know thats not a real word lol)

perfect for the newer cars since they are so sensitive.

but ya all the AEM dry flows from 2.25-3.00" we stock up at all times

Zoom Zoom Boy
04-20-2010, 04:31 PM
that's why many people who use an oiled filter buy 2 of them. when they change to the new one they clean the old one, oil it and let it sit until the one they just put in is dirty. By the time that happens all of the "excess" oil should have drained out

Sort of agree. However, if you do over-oil it badly, most of it will not drain out. Some yes, but a lot will retain in the filter element and ends up getting sucked into the TB where it creates a nicely burned and sticky mess since the TB in these cars run really hot.

I run an oiled filter on my COBB intake, but I just buy new filters once a year. I never clean them and re-oil them as I know I am prone to over-oiling cause well, I like lots of lube. :)

S.F.W.
04-20-2010, 05:55 PM
I like lots of lube. :)

Rumour has it, that's why Fang likes you more than Broli.

ST3ALTH
04-27-2010, 07:46 PM
ya I personally like the AEM dry flows better, thats all we stock now

never had a problem. no need to reoil (I know thats not a real word lol)

perfect for the newer cars since they are so sensitive.

but ya all the AEM dry flows from 2.25-3.00" we stock up at all times

Hey Peter how much does the 2.5" AEM go for?

technomaze
01-27-2011, 02:23 AM
I like the dryflow. Eventually I wanna switch to it instead of the cotton type that needs oil. I read an article in one of the magazines (forget which one) IIRC it was either hotrod or truckin. Anyways they put a dryflow aem brute force intake on a 2dr newer Blazer 4.3, dyno-ed it and it showed a gain of 12hp. K&N sends you a dyno sheet of the same vehicle as yours when you purchase a FIPK. (Mine did at least) It only showed about a 5 hp increase. Whether it gives more power or not doesn't matter to me. I like that it's easier to maintain.

rmcat
04-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Has anyone tried Amsoil?

shu5892001
04-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Injen come with Amsoil filters