PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing Wiper arms and strut top plate

stevenma188
07-12-2010, 02:56 PM
So there is a significant amount of rust on both my front wiper arms, as well some on the base of the strut bar. I was thinking of refinishing them. Currently I do not have access to a grinder etc, so I will need to probably do the sanding by hand. I then planned on buying some spray bomb primer and/or paint.

1. Does anyone have any tips on how to quickly and efficiently sand down the parts? How would i get into all the crevices?

2. I read somewhere that you can use acid etch solution to clean the metal after it's been sanded down. Is this necessary and if so where can I get the stuff?

3. What sort of paint should I use? The strut bar base are in the engine bay, but I don't think they get THAT hot, so would I need high temperature paint?

Thanks

Default User
07-12-2010, 03:36 PM
you should just take the strut plate off since you already have the strut tower bar. It's just acting as a spacer now. (doesnt it hit the top of your hood?)

stevenma188
07-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Sorry, to clarify, I am referring to the base of the strut tower bar that needs refinishing. I already removed the original strut plate.

Default User
07-12-2010, 05:26 PM
1. Does anyone have any tips on how to quickly and efficiently sand down the parts? How would i get into all the crevices?

buy a dremel or rotary tool. Even a cheapo JobMate one at Crappy tire cando the job. These are about $10

2. I read somewhere that you can use acid etch solution to clean the metal after it's been sanded down. Is this necessary and if so where can I get the stuff?

Aircraft Paint stripper is potent stuff. Again, crappy tire sells it in the DIY autobody section for about $10 in an aerosol can. If you think it's worth it, buy a jug fir $30 and let that shite soak for an hour. Keep in mind, it really just dissolves clearcoats and paint particles. It helps to scrape off the remaining paint by hand,when trying to getto the bare metal. (I used this when refinishing rims)

3. What sort of paint should I use? The strut bar base are in the engine bay, but I don't think they get THAT hot, so would I need high temperature paint?

Can't go wrong with using high heat engine enamel paint.

Hit up dollarama for a steel bristle brush to help getting the rust off by hand.

stevenma188
07-12-2010, 05:29 PM
I just talked to a guy at work and he said I can use the bench grinder with a wire wheel. I'm hoping that plus using a combination of wire brush and sandpaper will be good enough.

SonicBoy
07-12-2010, 06:44 PM
For the wiper arms, you don't have to get that radical to grind. Simply using a green scotch brite (dish/pan scouring) pad to go over the surface and hit it with some flat black paint.

For under the strut bar, perhaps some degreesing solution and the wire brush or if not that bad, just the scotch brite. Depends on how bad the surface is.

You just want to get the surface rough so that the paint has something to bite onto to adhere to.

stevenma188
07-12-2010, 06:47 PM
My wipers are really badly rusted. I don't think Scotch brite will be enough to remove the rust. I want to get it all the way down to bare metal before hitting it with paint.

The scotch brite might work for the strut bar base because it's not as badly rusted.

SonicBoy
07-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Funny how that is the other way around. :chuckle

You're probably going to hand sand then unless you have access to a sandblaster.

Some Steel Wool might also do the trick. That stuff really bites if you use the course stuff.

m_a_t_r_i_x
07-12-2010, 07:06 PM
did you check with the dealership how much to replace the wiper arms? maybe its cheaper than buying paint and using your time.

stevenma188
07-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Well I figure it will cost ~$20 for all the material (paint, sandpaper, etc), and I have lots of free time at work right now. Hopefully I will be able to borrow most of the tools I will need from the aircraft mechanics at work.

Default User
07-12-2010, 08:14 PM
there's a steel wool wheel grinder attachment for hand held drills

TheMAN
07-12-2010, 11:23 PM
the 04-05 wiper arms are prone to rusting... mazda updated the parts with improved paint and finishing to reduce this problem
I suggest looking for a wrecked 06-09 3 for the wiper arms or just buy new ones from the dealer... too much trouble to repaint, especially since you won't get the paint onto the spring thoroughly

Rob23
07-13-2010, 01:36 PM
steven i have a angle grinder with the steel wool attachment, if you can come by toronto ill help you out :P

stevenma188
07-13-2010, 01:59 PM
So I just called around the junkyards, looks like it will be $35 each for the wiper arms from the wrecks, and $47 new from the dealer. I think I'm going to see what the guys can do at work first, then go from there.

Default User
07-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Dont Forget - Do not spray that spring under the wiper arm.

stevenma188
07-14-2010, 09:18 AM
...Well that was stupid.... the wreckers here are selling the arms off an 08 for $50 EACH. They are brand new from the dealer for $47...

mazdabetty
07-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Yah don't even bother sanding the rust off the wipers, I've done it twice already using this sanding machine thing and it keeps coming back anyway... just spray paint over them when they start lookin gross if you're not gonna get new ones lol

stevenma188
07-14-2010, 10:48 AM
...using this sanding machine thing...

:whoa

Were you able to go all the way down to the bare metal? I plan on taking the arms down to bare metal. I know that if you don't get rid of all the rust and just paint on top, they will come back quite soon.

mazdabetty
07-14-2010, 11:03 AM
:whoa

Were you able to go all the way down to the bare metal? I plan on taking the arms down to bare metal. I know that if you don't get rid of all the rust and just paint on top, they will come back quite soon.

hahahah I dunno what it was called... it was at the dealership my dad works at... actually he did most of the sanding, and yah it was down to the bare metal. It's hard to get around the hinges though. But whatever I'm not really a perfectionist, I'll just keep spray painting them every few months. They look good as new anyway. :P

mazdilla
07-14-2010, 11:42 AM
All the advice here is good, but hand-held tools for this application are dangerous unless the part is affixed to the vehicle or clamped in a vice.

I use a wire wheel on a bench grinder.

BTW, strut top plates are only $7 ea. at the dealer. I bought new and painted and clear coated before replacing the pitted and rusty ones.

I don't have any problems with my wipers 'cause I wipe/dust off the car everyday (several times); and park it in the garage at night (no dew).

stevenma188
07-14-2010, 12:31 PM
The strut top plate I'm referring to is the one for the Vibrant Strut bar, not the stock ones.

stevenma188
07-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Oh ya, mazdabetty, do you know what paint you used? I'm looking at the Tremclad rust inhibitor paint.

RECREATIONAL_ANXIETY
07-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Why not just prime it with that Rust Check Rust killer primer stuff, then use whatever paint you want.

mazdabetty
07-15-2010, 04:15 PM
Oh ya, mazdabetty, do you know what paint you used? I'm looking at the Tremclad rust inhibitor paint.

Yah I didn't prime mine.... hahahahha, just some sort of black glossy spray paint, can't remember which one it was... OH but don't get the rust spray paint, I tried using that stuff by accident and it's so thick it totally ruined them. We had to sand all the paint off and do it again lol

stevenma188
07-16-2010, 09:15 PM
So I got the guys at work to completely grind all the paint off the wiper arms and hit it with a layer of Rust Check gloss black paint today.

Before:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a124/StevenMa188/TM3/IMG_0835.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a124/StevenMa188/TM3/IMG_0836.jpg

After Griding:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a124/StevenMa188/TM3/IMG_0841.jpg

Paint:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a124/StevenMa188/TM3/IMG_0859.jpg

Billabang
08-03-2010, 06:21 PM
Don't know about your car but for my 07, I had my dealer replace my wiper arms twice because of rust under warranty.

stevenma188
08-03-2010, 07:58 PM
I tried to get the dealer to replace the arms under warranty, but the arms are only covered for 2 years.

TheMAN
08-03-2010, 08:16 PM
So I got the guys at work to completely grind all the paint off the wiper arms and hit it with a layer of Rust Check gloss black paint today.

Before:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a124/StevenMa188/TM3/IMG_0835.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a124/StevenMa188/TM3/IMG_0836.jpg

After Griding:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a124/StevenMa188/TM3/IMG_0841.jpg

Paint:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a124/StevenMa188/TM3/IMG_0859.jpg

you could've got much bettter results if you hung them and sprayed them that way

stevenma188
08-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Probably, but I didn't have the facility. I did all this while at work. Oh well, she'll hold.

Shaun
09-17-2010, 07:51 AM
I re-did mine last summer and they held up fine, i used rockergaurd black paint and works great, this paint is rubberized so it will repel most road crap and salt deposits.

2010gt3
10-14-2010, 12:48 PM
I had mine replaced under warranty as well, at around the 60k point. They wont replace if you dont ask.