PDA

View Full Version : Yes, you can get the "same" windshield as the original cheap!

TheMAN
08-04-2010, 07:48 PM
I've been meaning to post this for a while but got lazy...

I had my windshield replaced a few months ago, but like usual, the insurance company low balled and wanted me to buy some crappy $30 chinese windshield. No thanks!

Ideally, I wanted to get an OEM glass but seeing as how much I had to pay out of my own pocket to do this, this was unfeasible. So I had to figure out another way of getting a QUALITY aftermarket glass.

I knew Saint-Gobain Sekurit is the maker of the original glass, and I saw on their European website that they sell aftermarket replacement glass (ARG). Knowing this, I had to figure out how to get one here in North America. I finally found the US subsidiary Saint-Gobain Autover USA, which handles automotive ARG sales. I called them and determined that an ARG for the Mazda3 was available and got the NAGS part numbers:
FW2464 GTY... 04-09 windshield w/rain sensor
FW2461 GTY... 04-09 windshield w/o rain sensor
the "GTY" is actually the glass colour, this is particularly important when you want to have the exact same colour tint as the original glass and have it match the rest of the windows in your car. This also means that it is exactly the same as the original... no stupid blue visor band on the top! I hate those!

Once I knew a "Sekurit" ARG was available, I called around major glass companies in my area and told them exactly what I wanted. I told them also I wasn't in a hurry because my windshield wasn't in pieces. A lot of them have never heard of this brand before, despite the fact that Saint-Gobain is the 2nd largest glazing company in the world (After Nippon Sheet Glass/Pilkington Group)! It was obvious that they preferred to deal with cheap glass or the popular American brands such as PPG, Carlex, etc. Finally after what seemed like a dozen phone calls I gave up, and told my body shop the info and have them call their glass guys to figure this out. This was fine since I didn't need to drive the car anyway as I was leaving town for a few weeks.

After I got back, I checked on the body shop and to my dismay they weren't able to get it. So I said fine, just get me a Pilkington glass so I could get my car back. Finally, a couple of days later, the body shop called me and told me that the glass dude showed up with the exact glass I originally wanted! :headbang I stopped by to look and it looked EXACTLY like my original glass! It even came with a new moulding! All of this for more than 2/3 less than the OEM glass!

The optics are perfect, the colour exactly the same as the original, the frit looked just like the original, and the little VIN window was in the right spot unlike other ARG Mazda3 windshields I've seen. The only downside? The markings on the driver's side corner isn't the same because it comes from Saint-Gobain's factory in Colombia (yes, of all places) instead of the Central Glass factory in Japan. Is this a big deal? Not really. If I were to sell the car now, people won't be able to tell it's an aftermarket glass because the branding matches the rest of the windows on the car, which I feel better about.

Is the quality exactly the same as the original glass? I can't really say because ARGs are typically made to a lower standard than OEM glass... that's why they're so much cheaper! The ARG also doesn't have certification markings for Japan, Europe, and China, which also brings costs down. But knowing that Saint-Gobain is a reputable "Grade A" glass company in the world, I trust their products. Nothing wrong with the big American brands, but I like to get something that "matches" my car.
This whitepaper states that ARG are not the same as OEM: http://www.ultrabond.com/whywindshields.pdf
It also says most windshield replacements are unnecessary. Unfortunately, my original windshield had cracks more than 12" long :(

So, comparison pics...
ORIGINAL (not my car):
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_XtiJCLQ560k/TFn75vmVGyI/AAAAAAAAAOQ/arDy8N91YrA/s800/sekuritoem.jpg
AFTERMARKET:
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_XtiJCLQ560k/TFn75-HJsoI/AAAAAAAAAOU/w7BelSE4e0w/s800/sekuritarg.jpg

interesting trivia:
according to the DOT numbers printed on the windows, they are made in Thailand. That's right... all the windows, but the windshield are made in Thailand! Only the original windshield was made in Japan by Central Glass (under joint venture with Saint-Gobain Sekurit)

Default User
08-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Kudos to you for doing the research

Personally, being the lazy bastid that I am, probably would have just called Speedy Gonzales or Apple autoglass

TheMAN
08-04-2010, 08:02 PM
I'm normally pretty lazy, but I get pretty OCD over exactly what goes in my car :chuckle

Hives
08-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Speedy = $300 Installed for the same Windshield

Noisy Crow
08-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Excellent find! I am anticipating having to eventually replace my windshield (it seems to be a rock magnet) so this will really helpful.

While we are talking OEM-quality windshield replacement: what about the actual work itself? When getting a windshield replaced I am always worried about hidden damage (e.g. scraping paint off where it can't be seen but salty winter water can get it in)?

em3
08-04-2010, 10:15 PM
I vote for sticky

liquidzyklon
08-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Great research TheMan! But as Hives said, it's the exact same windshield provided from Speedy Gonzelas for $300 installed. So everyone who had Speedy replace their windshield have been getting OEM windshield without knowing it. This assumes that these windshields are not fakes.

aris
08-06-2010, 12:45 AM
I'm getting a new windsheild installed on tuesday from Apple Auto Glass $310 tax in

Tania
04-18-2011, 11:39 PM
Hi,
I was wondering if you could tell me if the Original Factory windshield has a visor tint on it. I just got my windshield replaced and they said they replaced it with a exact replica but there is no visor tint. Was I hallucinating that I had a visor tinit on my 2005 mazda?
Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

cwp_sedan
04-18-2011, 11:43 PM
Hi,
I was wondering if you could tell me if the Original Factory windshield has a visor tint on it. I just got my windshield replaced and they said they replaced it with a exact replica but there is no visor tint. Was I hallucinating that I had a visor tinit on my 2005 mazda?
Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I'm 99.9% sure there is not a tint trip on the factory OEM glass.

Here is an example.
http://carreviewsandnews.com/images/2005mazda3sedan/2005mazda3sedan1.jpg

aris
04-19-2011, 12:14 AM
I'm 99.9% sure there is not a tint trip on the factory OEM glass.

Here is an example.
http://carreviewsandnews.com/images/2005mazda3sedan/2005mazda3sedan1.jpg
+1
their is no tint strip on the oem glass

Tania
04-19-2011, 10:16 AM
Thanks for your input.
The windshield that they replaced my original is xyg Laminated safety glass CCCe000039 Dot-563 as-1 M-852 FW 02464... Is that comparable glass to the Saint-Gobain Sekurit?
I swear that I had a tinted visor.. I do have a mazda3 sport gt2005.
Do you think that would make a difference? I have pictures but I don't know how to post them... Newbie...
T

S.F.W.
04-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Thanks for your input.
The windshield that they replaced my original is xyg Laminated safety glass CCCe000039 Dot-563 as-1 M-852 FW 02464... Is that comparable glass to the Saint-Gobain Sekurit?
I swear that I had a tinted visor.. I do have a mazda3 sport gt2005.
Do you think that would make a difference? I have pictures but I don't know how to post them... Newbie...
T

You need to host your pictures somewhere else, photobucket, etc . In terms of the visor, it may be something your dealer had done prior to your picking up the car. I can tell you on my previous 04 Sedan, there was no tinted visor. As for comparing the two different glass parts. can't help you there..

Jeff-TheBiz
04-19-2011, 11:21 AM
I think I will be calling speedy shortly... as I have another crack in my 2010...

anyhow, there is no tint strip on any mazda3.. a lot of tinters offer a 6 inch comfort strip for the windsheild for a small fee when the rest of the car is being done..

peterm15
04-19-2011, 09:31 PM
Working in the NON auto glass industy for years i have learned a few things. one of the few who make GREAT glass is germany.
Frankly glass imported from Asia is garbage, breaks easily, imperfections just generally sub par.

Granted this is mainly float glass ( flat glass like you find in your house) but seeing as custom windsheilds are bent useing already laminated glass, i would assume its the same process for stock windshelds as its cheaper to lami glass when its flat.

Asia glass has become more popular in the last few years and trust me you can tell the difference, on average about 50% of glass i order i return due to defects, compared to maybe 2% 2 years ago.

As well consider glass in your windsheild, its actually 2 3mm pieces of glass with a .015mm of plastic in between, a picture frame is generally 2mm glass, so, the better quality the less chance of small stones causing cracks.

In a perfect world the outside piece of glass should be heat strengthened, (not tempered), this would decrease the possibility of chips and spreading in cracks.

Tania
04-20-2011, 11:31 AM
Now I know too much about windshield insurance and windshields.
Just incase you don't know....
If you have windshield insurance most insurers will not replace your windshield with factory(OEM/dealer) glass unless your car is less than 3 year old after that you will for sure get after market.
There are only a few suppliers that supply north america. Same suppliers for all glass places Apple, Speedy etc.
For my 2005 mazda GT there was only two choices rain sensor or not, no choice of green. So they ordered the only one they could rain sensor.
I am peeved because I know mine had a shade band and they didn't call to tell me that thier supplier doesn't have that choice and they replaced it anyways.
The ONLY reason I am now convinced that I had a shade band is that I kept on asking them will the replacement be exactly like the one that is in there and they assured me that it would be.
I really wouldn't have noticed a green tint but I would notice a shade band.

I got XYG glass from china, the autobody shop and the glass dude say that it is "of the same quality" as the glass that was replaced. Now from these forums I think different.
For my particular windshield at mazda there are only two choices non rain sensor or with rain sensor green, one dealer said the green means tint another one tells me that the green is a shade band. I am contacting one more dealer to break the tie.

My insurance TD meloche monexx( Belron) has been really helpful and so has the dealer the autobody shop not so much.
Today I am visiting the last mazda dealership/ Speedy and glass masters.
I know I am making a mountian out of a mole hill but seriously all I needed was a call and the choice of upgrading to OEM I would have been fine with that.
Oh the windshield saga continues....

Burner
04-20-2011, 11:17 PM
Like Jeff said there was never any tint strips on Mazda 3's from the factory. I have the same car as you, 05 GT, and there's no tint.

peterm15
04-21-2011, 07:55 PM
After market shade band possible?

aris
04-21-2011, 08:52 PM
After market shade band possible?

Ya any tint place can do it for you

CoolColombian
04-22-2011, 12:17 AM
That windshield says "Made in Colombia", its got to be good! Keep supporting my homeland industry!

baymoe
04-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Tania:
It still seems as though you're not listening to many of the members that commented. In stock form, the Mazda3 sold in Canada does not have this tint band. Furthermore, Jeff-TheBiz actually works for a mazda dealership and can confirm this. This band that you speak was probably an add-on or your imagination :P.

Kappa
04-22-2011, 11:46 AM
question.... the rain sensor... can that not be pulled off the window and put on a new one? i got quoted 600 bucks because i needed the sensor and i had someone tell me you can remove it and buy the cheaper one

aris
04-22-2011, 10:09 PM
question.... the rain sensor... can that not be pulled off the window and put on a new one? i got quoted 600 bucks because i needed the sensor and i had someone tell me you can remove it and buy the cheaper one

Apple auto glasss put my new windsheild last year and they used the same sensors