PDA

View Full Version : Track in ATX?

shu5892001
09-09-2010, 10:50 AM
I tracked my car last week, and I liked it :chuckle. I plan to do more tracking, but what worries me is, will my ATX hold up? I put it on M when I track, and I down shift a lot. Is there anything I should do to bust up the ATX? Maybe a transmission cooler or something? Or should I just stop tracking my ATX lol

Thanks,
Shu

Donutz
09-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Some members here track their ATX. A tranny cooler won't hurt, that's for sure.

MajesticBlueNTO
09-09-2010, 02:33 PM
I tracked my car last week, and I liked it :chuckle. I plan to do more tracking, but what worries me is, will my ATX hold up? I put it on M when I track, and I down shift a lot. Is there anything I should do to bust up the ATX? Maybe a transmission cooler or something? Or should I just stop tracking my ATX lol

Thanks,
Shu

change the tranny fluid more often if you can't source a tranny cooler. if there's one thing auto transmissions hate it's heat.

if you plan on tracking more frequently, change the fluid at the end of every season at least.

Azi
09-09-2010, 10:24 PM
Put in a tranny cooler for sure. iirc the mz3 uses coolant to cool the trans, and on the track that is not a good thing, and the coolant does run a bit hot. You should be able to get a B&M kit easily. Also, if possible, install a oil temp guage with the cooler. That is the way I have it setup with my protege. I found on really hot days (>25C) it was best to run the aux cooler inline with the stock cooler.

condor888000
09-10-2010, 11:11 AM
That's advice I'd listen to...

shu5892001
09-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Put in a tranny cooler for sure. iirc the mz3 uses coolant to cool the trans, and on the track that is not a good thing, and the coolant does run a bit hot. You should be able to get a B&M kit easily. Also, if possible, install a oil temp guage with the cooler. That is the way I have it setup with my protege. I found on really hot days (>25C) it was best to run the aux cooler inline with the stock cooler.

change the tranny fluid more often if you can't source a tranny cooler. if there's one thing auto transmissions hate it's heat.

if you plan on tracking more frequently, change the fluid at the end of every season at least.

Thanks for the advice guys, I am looking at the B&M site, and I see a a few different coolers.

There is

Automatic Transmission SuperCooler rated at 14,400 BTU 11"x6"x1-1/2"
Item# 70264 $70.39

There is also

Hi-Tek Automatic Transmission Cooling System 13-1/2"x9"x3-1/2" with 9-1/2" diameter fan
Item# 70297 $247.21

Will the 70 dollar one provide sufficient cooling in my case?

Thanks,
Shu

Azi
09-11-2010, 04:28 PM
the $70 cooler will be just fine as long as you can install it in front of the rad where there is air flow.

shu5892001
09-11-2010, 04:59 PM
the $70 cooler will be just fine as long as you can install it in front of the rad where there is air flow.

Alright, thanks! Already put down the order on the 14,400 BTU one and hopefully gonna have it on before the next track day

Fayvir
08-03-2011, 02:51 AM
Sorry to revive this thread but wondering if there's a huge difference in tracking with Auto vs Manual? I mean, w/ Auto, you still have the tiptronic option that lets you control the gears.
My friend asked "why people track with Auto transmission?" I wasn't sure what the answer was, but maybe you guys here have the answer?

Thanks.

Chuckie
08-03-2011, 03:43 AM
The "sport" shift option on the automatics shift way too slow after the command to change up or down is given. The automatic gearing is also a bit more conservative (longer) than the manual.

The most important part is that with the manual, taking the corner after a straight section, it is more tolerant when you go from 4th or 5th back into 2nd quickly with proper rev matching.

You can't rev match in the automatic. It will be a hard downshift every time. Constant hard downshifts are quite hard on the transmission. But if you don't do that, you will be slow on the track.

Fuman
08-03-2011, 01:41 PM
The "sport" shift option on the automatics shift way too slow after the command to change up or down is given. The automatic gearing is also a bit more conservative (longer) than the manual.
The most important part is that with the manual, taking the corner after a straight section, it is more tolerant when you go from 4th or 5th back into 2nd quickly with proper rev matching.
You can't rev match in the automatic. It will be a hard downshift every time. Constant hard downshifts are quite hard on the transmission. But if you don't do that, you will be slow on the track.

"Going from 4th or 5th back into 2nd" - if you are talking about skip-shifting, for someone that has not tracked, this is not recommended as this increases the chances of a mis-shift. Mis-shifting at track engine-speeds (RPM) can lead to blown engines. If you are not then, I misunderstood you. Nevertheless, the Mazda 3 ATX can shift fast enough to keep up with braking. The Mazda 3 ATX is fast enough to keep up with preludes and civic SIs (8th gen). [ i.e. don't worry about ATX / MTX, worry about getting more seat-time =p ]

@Fayvir: "Why people track with ATX?", simple, because they can.
If your friend asks, "but why would you", a few possible reasons
1) only car they have
2) less things to go wrong
3) can spend more concentration on braking than shifting. [ there is debating on whether or not heel-toe takes away from pure braking. ]

sol_searchin
08-06-2011, 12:53 AM
If your tracking for fun than why not? If you actually want to compete than you will have to switch over to manual. I would put a cooler on ASAP and make sure your fluids are all topped up and clean, a good set of tires will go a long way as well.