PDA

View Full Version : 2010 INDY FOG MOD FINALLY REVEALED

McGuyver_3
10-10-2010, 05:41 PM
I have posted the same how to on the US forums underm my alternate user name my_mazda 3

***********************DISCLAIMER I AM NOT LIABLE FOR DAMAGE CONFLICTED IF YOU DO NOT FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS PROPERLY***************

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING OR NEED HELP PLEASE PLEASE ASK ME RATHER THEN JUST THNKING YOU ARE RIGHT

Hello everyone,
I have had the indy fog mod done on my car for a long time and yes i drive a 2010. Unfortunatly with lack of time and pictures I have not come forward with an explanation of how to go through with the mod. I will giv you an explanation and the best of support possible.
Start by removing the front bumper.
on the passenger side behind the washer fluid bottle you will see a relay. That is your fog light relay on the 2010s
remove the relay as it is clipped in to the sheet metal. seperate the relay from the wiring. take your standard volt meter and check your wiring for 12V constant wire from the relay pins make your own wiring harness like on the previous gen 3's with male and female connectors. connect the 12V constant in to the pin on the relay that says 30 as that will all be written on the bottom of the stock relay. Back to the voltmeter again. from the stock harness of the relay to the positive side of where the fog bulb goes check for continuity. When you find that wire connect it from stock harness to pin 87 on the relay. This was the easy part of the operation now for the material wasting harder part.
You must run 1 wire from the relay itself on pin 86 to the fusebox under the hood on the drivers side. Their will be a fuse for INJ which basically means injectors but yes i used the power supply side of the fuse. To check for power supply side you have to remove the fuse and check which side has power when the key is on.
****You will get an engine light when you turn the key on with the fuse removed******

In order to connect the power with the fuse i had to strip the wire and insert the wire while putting the fuse back in. reason being is they do not make any inline fuse add ins for this style because mazda started using new fuses.
Now to move on to the last wire. pin 85 of the relay must be connected to ground. Now fortunatly mazda has not changed their wiring setup on the 2010s from previous generations and the connector to the light switch is the exact same as previous generations. the old colour of the wire used to be black/red. now they changed the colour and when i go to recheck my car i will supply you with the updated wiring colour. You must runa wire from 85 to inside by the light switch and connect it to that wire. I hope this helps you guys out if you have any further questions or concerns feel free to ask away.

Please note that the power wire i chose when the key is on, will have power 15-30 seconds after i shut down the car just like previous generations on the 07-09 models. 04=06 the wiring was different and was able to be shut down immediatly when the car shut off.

McGuyver_3
10-17-2010, 11:10 PM
the headlight switch wire colour you want to use is orange

crono06
10-17-2010, 11:41 PM
And even though this guide is here, Dan will now have a surge of install services hahah.

pnoy_vokal
10-30-2010, 12:47 PM
Want to do this but too scared to touch my electrical stuff...
Who wants to do this mod for me.... :)

loosecannon
03-31-2011, 12:50 AM
So I tried to tackle this today. I failed. My fogs stayed on constantly and wouldn't turn off, even with the turn signal stalk switched OFF and my key out of the ignition. After the fail, I took everything apart and put the car back together, and in the process, my fog lights stopped working. I think I killed my relay...

Tapped the wrong wires? Probably.
Do I need some help? VERY YES.

McGuyver_3
03-31-2011, 01:06 AM
So I tried to tackle this today. I failed. My fogs stayed on constantly and wouldn't turn off, even with the turn signal stalk switched OFF and my key out of the ignition. After the fail, I took everything apart and put the car back together, and in the process, my fog lights stopped working. I think I killed my relay...

Tapped the wrong wires? Probably.
Do I need some help? VERY YES.

very likely your fog fuse is blown. I doubt the relay has blown. I have some updated info on this thread as i have changed the power source. now they only turn on when the parking lights are on. I am willing to help you out with it

sharkbait
03-31-2011, 01:11 AM
Sorry for asking.... But whats a indy fog mod?
I am really curious as to what this is.....

mazdathree3
03-31-2011, 01:19 AM

The only way to turn on your fogs is when you turn on your full headlight system. With this mod you will be able to turn them on and off anytime you wish to do so.

Freakzaz
03-31-2011, 01:20 AM

I think it basically means independent foglight mod, so that the fog lights stay on as your DRL's, while your headlights are all off. Correct me if I'm wrong.

blackmica10
03-31-2011, 01:20 AM
i believe its when the fogs stay on independantly from your headlights, so you can use them as drls

sharkbait
03-31-2011, 01:22 AM
i believe its when the fogs stay on independantly from your headlights, so you can use them as drls

Well when I get fogs, I'll be sure to keep this in mind..lol
Thanks

McGuyver_3
03-31-2011, 01:48 AM
full control of fogs weather lights are on or off

Hyperion
03-31-2011, 12:10 PM
Excellent, this is the mod I want when I get around to installing fogs.

KING1307
03-31-2011, 07:21 PM
i dont think you need this mod if you install fogs. If you do it yourself, its probably a lot easier just to put a switch on the dash somewhere.

McGuyver_3
03-31-2011, 11:31 PM
i dont think you need this mod if you install fogs. If you do it yourself, its probably a lot easier just to put a switch on the dash somewhere.

This way you are keeping it oem. Personally I hate friggen switches and wires everywhere. Or if i put in switches, I make them look so integrated that you would think they came from factory.

KING1307
04-01-2011, 03:20 PM
This way you are keeping it oem. Personally I hate friggen switches and wires everywhere. Or if i put in switches, I make them look so integrated that you would think they came from factory.

Ya thats true, but even if you take the time to put in an oem switch and make it look just like factory, i highly doubt you would go through the effort of putting in the relay and what ever else is equired to make the fogs turn on only when the headlights are on, just like a real factory job.
what im trying to say is no matter how factory the switch is going to look, your not gonna put in the relay which the mod basically eliminates.

McGuyver_3
04-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Ya thats true, but even if you take the time to put in an oem switch and make it look just like factory, i highly doubt you would go through the effort of putting in the relay and what ever else is equired to make the fogs turn on only when the headlights are on, just like a real factory job.
what im trying to say is no matter how factory the switch is going to look, your not gonna put in the relay which the mod basically eliminates.

This is incorrect. the relay is still being utilized either way. Their is no real way of getting around it. Unless you hook up the fogs to amber corners or something like that

KING1307
04-01-2011, 09:23 PM
This is incorrect. the relay is still being utilized either way. Their is no real way of getting around it. Unless you hook up the fogs to amber corners or something like that

really? I woulda thought that if you hooked up aftermarket fogs that you wouldnt need this mod to get around the first mod. What would be benefits of hooking up fogs that way?

McGuyver_3
04-01-2011, 10:27 PM
You are referring to aftermarket fogs, I have not seen any as of yet for the 10's

loosecannon
04-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Turns out, the relay was fine but the relay HARNESS died. There's power coming from the car but the harness isn't feeding any of that power to my lights. Anyone know how much OEM foglight harnesses cost?

Also, are you still tapping into the INJ fuse, Dan? If so, did you tap into the 30A INJ fuse or the 15A INJ fuse?

I have some updated info on this thread as i have changed the power source. now they only turn on when the parking lights are on. I am willing to help you out with it

So they're not independent anymore? I managed to get this to work with parking lights but I still wanted them to be fully independent...

McGuyver_3
04-03-2011, 05:39 PM
I dont see how the wiring could be charred. Did you check the fuse for the fogs? I tapped in to the 15amp INJ fuse. I no longer use that fuse however. I have them hooked on to the parking light wire, so if my parking lights are on then can i turn on my fogs. I still wouldnt mind looking at your car though because something doesn't seem right

Turns out, the relay was fine but the relay HARNESS died. There's power coming from the car but the harness isn't feeding any of that power to my lights. Anyone know how much OEM foglight harnesses cost?

Also, are you still tapping into the INJ fuse, Dan? If so, did you tap into the 30A INJ fuse or the 15A INJ fuse?

So they're not independent anymore? I managed to get this to work with parking lights but I still wanted them to be fully independent...

loosecannon
04-03-2011, 06:21 PM
I dont see how the wiring could be charred. Did you check the fuse for the fogs? I tapped in to the 15amp INJ fuse. I no longer use that fuse however. I have them hooked on to the parking light wire, so if my parking lights are on then can i turn on my fogs. I still wouldnt mind looking at your car though because something doesn't seem right

Yeah, I did check the foglight fuse. It's still in one piece.

Why did you change the power source? Was tapping into the INJ fuse a problem?

And I'm down for meeting up. When are you available?

McGuyver_3
04-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Yeah, I did check the foglight fuse. It's still in one piece.

Why did you change the power source? Was tapping into the INJ fuse a problem?

And I'm down for meeting up. When are you available?

i just didnt like the fact that the fogs stayed on after the car was shut down. I tend to use only my fogs as driving lights anyways since I have projectors and the light output is amazing. That way the fogs only turn on with the ambers as i do drive in the dark quite a bit