PDA

View Full Version : Shock/Strut Options?

starscream
11-04-2010, 12:41 AM
So what are all of you running in terms of shocks and struts?

I know most of us are OEM, however what other options are there?

So far I have seen:

-Blistens (no specific model I was able to find)
-Koni Yellow FSD
-Koni Yellow Sport
-OEM
-Mazdaspeed B spec (uber rare apparently)

Does anyone else know of any other options? Any cheaper alternatives that maybe I havent found? I figure that Koni Yellow Sport might be the best because of me having Cobb springs and they are made for lowered cars. However seeing if there are any other options. My struts/shocks arent blown out yet, however they are getting weak and I should probably prepare to swap them out soon. Any advice/options would be fantastic.

Gules
11-04-2010, 02:11 AM
BC coilovers coming in the spring

starscream
11-04-2010, 02:33 AM
Coilovers are not my type of thing for a DD going through winter as well. Heard too many horror stories and not to mention they are in the 1500+ range

thanu31
11-04-2010, 03:42 AM
KYB's ?

Those are relatively cheap

starscream
11-05-2010, 12:55 AM
KYB's ?

Those are relatively cheap

There are no KYB's that are Mazdaspeed specific. HOWEVER, some ppl have use Mazda5 Koni's, so I figure that they might work for the KYBs...anyone have thoughts on that?

taz4432
11-05-2010, 04:11 AM
There are no KYB's that are Mazdaspeed specific. HOWEVER, some ppl have use Mazda5 Koni's, so I figure that they might work for the KYBs...anyone have thoughts on that?

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?48576-Rear-Shock-Replacement-OEM

MBNTO says he's using the Koni's for the Mazda 5. =)

Jon2000
11-08-2010, 08:19 PM
New parts installed on my 2007 MS3 this past weekend:
- Cobb MS3 springs
-Bilstein Sport struts and shocks
- Hotchkis 32mm rear sway bar set on the stiff setting (rather than stiffest)
I haven't had a chance to do a lot of driving yet but it's already a huge difference. I love the firmer ride and how the suspension sucks up the bumps in the road now rather than bouncing off the bump stops. I have 42K on the car and the front bump stops were toast. The stance is nicer now as well although I wouldn't want to go any lower. I installed my MS6 rims and winter tires at the same time. If you're going to swap out your suspension I recommend replacing the strut bearings - they're about $26 each. My upper strut mounts and all end links came off without any issues - nothing was seized and the install went smooth - took a little over 3 hours at a decent pace.

McGuyver_3
11-08-2010, 10:43 PM
Bilstein shocks are top notch. I am on BC coils and yes my car is a DD as well.

swales
11-09-2010, 09:11 AM
I've got Koni Yellow Sports with my Eibachs and it's top notch

kid_icarus
11-09-2010, 10:20 AM
where would you be able to get the bilsteins?
reviews fromother ms3's speak highly of the bilsteins..... almost makes me want to get a set...

McGuyver_3
11-09-2010, 03:12 PM
My buddy has them for his rx8 r3 and they are very comfortable. Will ask him where he got them from

zmtomako
11-09-2010, 07:56 PM
I've been contemplating about getting the bilsteins and rear sway bar (or both front and rear) done since the spring
let me know where your search of bilsteins gets you

horto
11-10-2010, 02:39 PM
+1

I've been contemplating about getting the bilsteins and rear sway bar (or both front and rear) done since the spring
let me know where your search of bilsteins gets you

Jon2000
11-11-2010, 08:40 AM
I got my Bilsteins from allshocks.com (great guys!) ...I called a number of places and everyone mentioned that the rears are out of stock. allshocks.com had one set on hold for a guy who ordered back in June. He never got back to them to say he was still interested so I got them. I took the car out for a longer drive after work today and was amazed at the combo! The wife didn't notice anything right away in our neighborhood until we hit some bumpy roads and the highway - everything felt the way it should have been from the factory. She commented how the car rode different and described as "it feels heavier, more glued to the ground". The car sits flat now even through sharp off-ramps, there's a nice thud when going over bumps as the suspension is doing its job ...no bottoming out, no bouncing, speed bumps were fine and the car feels very firm like it should but not harsh. We braced ourselves for a stretch of the highway (406) where our heads would practically bounce of the roof-liner - not anymore. The stance is nice as well - a little lower than stock, less wheel gap ..I personally wouldn't want go any lower. I decided on Cobb springs as they're a little more firm then stock and I wanted to ensure the ride height wouldn't be higher. No clearance issues yet on my steep driveway. The ride feels so much more controlled now - before it felt unstable and I never knew where the weight was going to shift after bottoming out on the bump stops and bouncing. So far I'm very happy with the Bilstein Sport + Cobb springs + Hotchkis rear sway bar setup.

Update: wifey wants a new suspension in her car now

Jon2000
11-11-2010, 08:42 AM
I thought I posted the above last night but I didn't finishing sending it ...so it should read "after work yesterday" instead of "...today"

kid_icarus
11-11-2010, 08:53 AM
thanks for the review jon!
i have cobb springs too with the cobb sways.
i'm guessing you had the cobb springs on "alone" before the shocks right?
if so i agree... the car just throws u around with the cobbs on...

your post gives me great hope that the ride will finally feel "daily driver" worthy again after installing the shocks

question: did you only install rear shocks? or you did the whole setup? if only the rear's could you explain why?

just looking at their website looks like the total cost would be 738.40 USD?
did you end up paying customs/duties etc? would you be able to tell us the final damage?

Jon2000
11-11-2010, 10:35 AM
thanks for the review jon!
i have cobb springs too with the cobb sways.
i'm guessing you had the cobb springs on "alone" before the shocks right?
if so i agree... the car just throws u around with the cobbs on...

your post gives me great hope that the ride will finally feel "daily driver" worthy again after installing the shocks

question: did you only install rear shocks? or you did the whole setup? if only the rear's could you explain why?

just looking at their website looks like the total cost would be 738.40 USD?
did you end up paying customs/duties etc? would you be able to tell us the final damage?

No prob! Actually I was completely stock before but I was never happy with the handling since I got it. I was shocked that my old Protege with Tokico HP struts and Espelir springs had better handling/feel than the MS3. I did fronts and rears. I paid $738usd for the struts/shocks (free shipping to the usa), $199usd (free shipping to the usa) for the Hotchkis bar w/brackets, and $150usd for used Cobb springs (shipped to the usa). I used USAddressinc.com to receive my parcels - they charge $5 for each parcel (I paid $15usd). I declared $938usd for the sway bar and struts/shocks at the border and paid the HST - $121cdn for everything. I installed new strut bearings that I picked up at the dealer for $24/each. Everything is quiet and tight.

kid_icarus
11-11-2010, 11:22 AM
No prob! Actually I was completely stock before but I was never happy with the handling since I got it. I was shocked that my old Protege with Tokico HP struts and Espelir springs had better handling/feel than the MS3. I did fronts and rears. I paid $738usd for the struts/shocks (free shipping to the usa), $199usd (free shipping to the usa) for the Hotchkis bar w/brackets, and $150usd for used Cobb springs (shipped to the usa). I used USAddressinc.com to receive my parcels - they charge $5 for each parcel (I paid $15usd). I declared $938usd for the sway bar and struts/shocks at the border and paid the HST - $121cdn for everything. I installed new strut bearings that I picked up at the dealer for $24/each. Everything is quiet and tight.

thanks for the info! sounds like you had the process down pat! thanks so much!

did you install the shocks yourself too?

man 738 is not a bad price especially with the dollar the way it is now...
but i think i'll need to wait a bit for these puppies but will send them to my brother in the states instead....guess it was good to confirm the duties/tax

i suppose there are no canadian vendors or sponsors on our board who can bring the shocks in at similar cost

Jon2000
11-11-2010, 12:03 PM
You're welcome! The process sounds a little confusing but it was the best way to keep the cost down. I did the suspension on the Protege myself but this time around I had a mechanic I know install everything for $120. I helped out a little. I checked with a sponsor on here and got a price of $990 local pickup in Toronto/taxes in.

I found a distributor online in Canada but I had already hooked up my USA deal. You could try them as well: http://www.bilsteincanada.com/index.php?cPath=1_8390_8454_8485

kid_icarus
11-12-2010, 08:56 AM
thanks for the link jon
they actually look pretty good and price doesn't seem too bad too.

guess i'll need to put this on the list of things to do next year.

120 for install is pretty good too... is that sorta average typical? i wonder how much jimmy charges...

starscream
11-12-2010, 06:41 PM
In a weird twist of events this is what position I am currently at:

MS3 Koni Sports - Rears Soldout in all of NA, Fronts will take 2 weeks
MS3 Bilstiens Sports - Soldout in all of NA

Thats both according to the manufacturer. I called their mainline and they checked for me. Distributors have the fronts in stock, the rears are the hard ones to find.

However I have the ability to get some Tien Basic Coilovers for a good price. Dunno if I should jump on it or not. They are used with 5000kms.

Thoughts?

S.F.W.
11-12-2010, 11:10 PM

Thats both according to the manufacturer. I called their mainline and they checked for me. Distributors have the fronts in stock, the rears are the hard ones to find.

However I have the ability to get some Tien Basic Coilovers for a good price. Dunno if I should jump on it or not. They are used with 5000kms.

Thoughts?

Don't go with the Tein Basics. They are only height adjustable, not dampening adjustable. What about the Mazda5 Koni's?

Jon2000
11-13-2010, 01:18 AM
thanks for the link jon
they actually look pretty good and price doesn't seem too bad too.

guess i'll need to put this on the list of things to do next year.

120 for install is pretty good too... is that sorta average typical? i wonder how much jimmy charges...

$120 for install is really cheap ...I think the average price would be around $250 - $300

I got it aligned today too - everything is back in spec!

Jon2000
11-13-2010, 01:23 AM

Thoughts?

I had one place try to sell me the Bilstein HD (heavy duty) rears and Bilstein Sport fronts ..they said the HD's and Sports are valved the same but the Sports have a shorter shaft for lowering springs. The Bilstein front struts have a built-in bump stop so you can throw the destroyed stockers out, the rear bump stops can be left as is. I read the rear bump stops should be trimmed if you're going with Koni's as they don't play nice with bump stop contact.

starscream
11-13-2010, 01:44 AM
I am just caught with this coilover deal...i dont need the extra stuff that all other coilovers have... its just like the in and around 550 price that i can get the coilovers for is cheaper then new koni's...lol..what to do...

Jon2000
11-13-2010, 10:31 AM
I am just caught with this coilover deal...i dont need the extra stuff that all other coilovers have... its just like the in and around 550 price that i can get the coilovers for is cheaper then new koni's...lol..what to do...

for $550 I would try the coilovers ..if you hate them, you can take them off and sell them off for what you paid. I changed my Protege suspension 3 times before I was happy with it. Luckily the Bilstein Cobb combo on the MS3 worked out the first time. The price seems great as long as there's nothing wrong with them.

starscream
11-13-2010, 12:20 PM
for $550 I would try the coilovers ..if you hate them, you can take them off and sell them off for what you paid. I changed my Protege suspension 3 times before I was happy with it. Luckily the Bilstein Cobb combo on the MS3 worked out the first time. The price seems great as long as there's nothing wrong with them.

Thats the thing...even though they look good, and he says theres 5000kms on them theres never no way to be sure. I am also worried about how they will be in the winter as well.

I would hate to blow 550 to have them blow out in a year's time. I would be hella pissed. I expect a shock to last at least 30-50K Kms.

Jon2000
11-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Thats the thing...even though they look good, and he says theres 5000kms on them theres never no way to be sure. I am also worried about how they will be in the winter as well.

I would hate to blow 550 to have them blow out in a year's time. I would be hella pissed. I expect a shock to last at least 30-50K Kms.

Yeah if you don't know the seller then you're taking a risk. Why did he pull them off after only 5000km's?

starscream
11-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Yeah if you don't know the seller then you're taking a risk. Why did he pull them off after only 5000km's?

He sold the car and went to a 2010 STI.

Thrizzl3
11-13-2010, 03:30 PM

my tein basics are still good after almost 60k

starscream
11-13-2010, 04:02 PM
my tein basics are still good after almost 60k

Driven through winter? Any prep you did on them for winter? Did you need Camberplates/etc too?

Thrizzl3
11-13-2010, 10:44 PM
Driven through winter? Any prep you did on them for winter? Did you need Camberplates/etc too?

yup lasted well through winter lol lots of WD40 Lube and the rust inhibitor. i should have done it when i was swapping my winters but i didnt get a chance..most likely when i replace my bushings i will grease them.

Jon2000
11-14-2010, 05:20 PM
I took a few pics (Bilstein+Cobb) if you're interested... although the car was dirty: http://picasaweb.google.com/jonwilson78/BilsteinSportsAndCobbSprings#

starscream
11-15-2010, 11:42 PM
The coilovers were a dud. When I went to see them first person before purchasing them...they were DEFINATELY not 5K used. Boots were torn, some were dislodged, paint was cracked/peeling and saw some rust. Decided to steer clear of them.

Back goes the search to Koni's!

-cj-
11-16-2010, 12:04 AM
Probably a good thing too, Tein doesn't make MS-specific struts from my understanding. I can't believe the boots were torn tho... I sold my SS-P setup that I had on my old car for probably 2 years and they were mint. You can't avoid the minor rust you get in areas because they get nicked and eventually rust... But I can't see how you would tear up the boots!

You can buy BC coilovers for like $1000 USD BTW, but some guy on MSF had his wheel fall off lol (Although that could have been due to the fact he kept driving on a blown strut).

I think I'm leaning towards the Bilstein's tho, they've had good reviews...

Edit: I would avoid coilovers unless you store your car in the winter. I refused to drive my last car in the winter simply because of the coilovers... Didn't want them rusting and having trouble adjusting them later (and I didn't want to keep oiling them to avoid that...)

kid_icarus
11-16-2010, 11:08 AM
any chance for a group buy on blisteins? probably not enough members to successfully do one to lower the cost decently though

-cj-
11-16-2010, 12:31 PM
There's a place that sells them out of Vancouver (bilsteincanada.com), and the prices aren't too bad.. It's in CDN$. Not sure how taxes work, since we are out of province...but now with HST I suspect we will pay taxes no matter what. BTW import duties across the border are generally the same as getting taxed locally...

Skyhigh
12-22-2010, 09:45 PM
So what are all of you running in terms of shocks and struts?

I know most of us are OEM, however what other options are there?

So far I have seen:

-Blistens (no specific model I was able to find)
-Koni Yellow FSD
-Koni Yellow Sport
-OEM
-Mazdaspeed B spec (uber rare apparently)

They actually have Mazdaspeed B-Spec springs/struts for the Mazdaspeed3? No way! where did you get this info?

laksman91
12-22-2010, 11:03 PM
They actually have Mazdaspeed B-Spec springs/struts for the Mazdaspeed3? No way! where did you get this info?

These: http://japanparts.com/db/parts_detail.php?submit.x=5&submit.y=12&NUMBER=00000150&VOLUME=143-018-711-1&DEALER=6&CAR=95&MIDDLE=3&SMALL=9&MAKER=1&VOLKEY=&SEARCH_DEALER=6&SEARCH_CAR=95&SEARCH_MIDDLE=3&SEARCH_SMALL=9&SEARCH_MAKER=&SEARCH_VOLKEY=&SEARCH_page= ??

Skyhigh
12-28-2010, 07:41 AM
These: http://japanparts.com/db/parts_detail.php?submit.x=5&submit.y=12&NUMBER=00000150&VOLUME=143-018-711-1&DEALER=6&CAR=95&MIDDLE=3&SMALL=9&MAKER=1&VOLKEY=&SEARCH_DEALER=6&SEARCH_CAR=95&SEARCH_MIDDLE=3&SEARCH_SMALL=9&SEARCH_MAKER=&SEARCH_VOLKEY=&SEARCH_page= ??

Are you sure those are Mazdaspeed3 B-spec springs? By the looks of them, I don't think they are

Skyhigh
12-28-2010, 07:55 AM
^ Sorry, I meant to say 'Struts' and not 'Springs'.

TheMAN
12-28-2010, 06:36 PM
Where does it say B-Spec?
there are no B-Spec anything since 1999! Mazdaspeed stopped making anything good ever since Mazda bought them out!

The best you're going to get are A-Spec parts for the 3. Those struts you can buy from the dealer here anyway. Same thing, different part number (because of packaging differences). Made by some company in Poland.
The silver JDM springs are completely different than what the Mazdaspeed springs are here. They are pretty soft and only drops 15mm too.