PDA

View Full Version : Nov 2010 Cobb ATR/APR Update

Fobio
11-19-2010, 07:50 PM
I dunno if it's 1.08 or whatever, but it's a sure improvement over whatever we've been running.

Load cap? on Cobb Forums (http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/showthread.php?68106-Load-cap&p=644951#post644951)

Looking like a Monday release guys. We can't release on a Friday and there was more testing necessary than usual. We've moved over to a new code repository system since the last release so the developers wanted to do a higher degree of testing than normal to verify everything was working as expected. Don't want to grenade any ECUs.

Here is a sneak peek of the release notes:

New Features:

•Tuner Auto Updater
•Users can accesss tuner software updates through the "Help/Updates" menu.
•Users will no longer have to download the latest tuner version to stay up-to-date.
•Rollback - users also have the ability to rollback to the previous release of Tuner by using the "Help/Updates/Rollback last update" option.
•Added AP MGR 2.0 Installer
•Added HPFP Control Tables (BETA)
•HPFP Desired Pressure - Max A
•HPFP Desired Pressure - Max B
•HPFP Desired Pressure A
•HPFP Desired Pressure B
•HPFP Desired Pressure C
•HPFP Desired Pressure ECT Comp
•Added Knock Tables (BETA)
•Knock Retard - Decay Magnitude A
•Knock Retard - Decay Magnitude B
•Knock Retard - Decay Rate A
•Knock Retard - Decay Rate B
•Knock Retard - Multiplier
•Knock Retard - Offset
•Knock Retard Active - Min ECT
•Knock Retard Active - Min Load A
•Knock Retard Active - Min Load B
•Knock Retard Active - RPM (Max)
•Knock Retard Active - RPM (Min)
•Added Radiator Fan Tables (BETA)
•Radiator Fan - ECT Thresholds
•Radiator Fan - Voltage Compensation
•Added MAP Sensor Scaling Tables (Sesnor Cal. Tables)
•MAP Scalar for EM - Component A
•MAP Scalar for EM - Component B
•MAP Scalar for EM - Offset
•MAP Scalar for Log - Component A
•MAP Scalar for Log - Component B
•MAP Scalar for Log - Offset
•MAP Scalar for OBD - Component A
•MAP Scalar for OBD - Component B
•MAP Scalar for OBD - Offset
•Added Ignition Compensation Tables
•Ign BAT vs ECT Comp. - % Used
•Ign BAT vs ECT Comp. A
•Ign BAT vs ECT Comp. B
•Ign Low Octane Reduction
•Ign Per Cylinder Comp.
•Increased Boost Pressure Logging Limit
•Increased limit to log boost pressure above 24 PSI.
Bug Fixes:

•Fixed MIL Defeat
•MIL defeat implementation has been corrected for 06-07 MS6, 07-08 MS3, and 09 MS3.
•See "Edit\Advanced Engine Parameters\Toggles(Base)" for complete list of defeatable codes.
•Fixed Live Tracing

I also added toggled to enable individual cylinder ignition compensation.

A toggle is available to switch the ECU from using the Load Dynamics table to instead use the Boost Dynamics table. What this means is instead of the ECU tweaking the WG Duty cycle based on Load Error (difference of Desired Load against Actual Load) it will instead control the turbo based on Boost Error (different of Desired Boost against Actual Boost).

Finally a toggle is added to activate the Load Target table. This just enable a more simplistic Load Target functionality for the ECU so instead of using all the various potential gear based and other logic driven Load Target tables it simply pulls the target from the single Load Target table and runs with it.

Both those toggles have been added to assist you all with stable boost control. Of course you don't need to use them and the system will continue to operate 100% as before.

Cheers,
Trey @ COBB

...and somehow...I got Monday off....

Fobio
12-03-2010, 12:53 AM
update landed

MAZDASPEED3/6 AccessPORT and AccessTUNER Updates Now Available! (http://blogs.cobbtuning.com/2010/12/01/mazdaspeed36-accessport-and-accesstuner-updates-now-available/)

Tokay444
01-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Who's the best person to see to have a custom pro tuned ap?

Fobio
01-13-2011, 07:59 PM
technically...yourself...or me! LOL

unfortunately, not many local tuners truly knows how to tune a ms3...it's not really worth it for most of them to invest the time to learn and tune this car from scratch...most tuners are set in their ways from their past success, and will only want to build on that, rather than looking like an idiot who doesn't know anything about load-based tuning on a DI turbo'd engine..and at $35K out the door, we're also not the kinda big spenders that likes to hang out at the shop looking hard with their teenage girlfriends as an accessory...lol...

anyway...it's best to bite bullet and learn + do it all yourself...at least you won't blindly rely on anyone, and also, you will know what your car is doing just by listening and smelling...I'm not kidding about the smelling part.

Tokay444
01-14-2011, 07:15 AM
But I don't have a dyno...

Fobio
01-14-2011, 11:12 AM
chk out mazdaspeedforums.org for all your tuning needs...once you get firm grasp of the logic involved, you won't need a dyno...most of the smart guys are street-tuned, you know cuz the car drives/races on a road, instead of rollers...it's really the best IMO.

for street tuning, we use the MAF reading of mg/s and the load values to determine the incremental difference of tuning. the MAF mg/s readings mimmick your HP curve...

MajesticBlueNTO
01-14-2011, 11:15 AM
for street tuning, we use the MAF reading of mg/s and the load values to determine the incremental difference of tuning. the MAF mg/s readings mimmick your HP curve... ....and the Calculated Load readings mimic the TQ curve :)

Snotrocket
01-16-2011, 09:57 PM
Bingo!

Here is some additional information that I just posted for one of our Alpha testers...he may hop on with his comments/impressions as well. I just wanted to point out some of the funner stuff that you can do with a spreadsheet program and the ATR datalogs.

The Alpha tester was questioning whether or not the minor boost spikes just above 20psi were a concern when the car was targeting 19.3psi for the peak boost targets. My reply is below:

No, those minor spikes just over 20psi cannot be controlled with the stock restrictor pill/stock EBCS. The additional of the TIH is what usually allows for these spikes, but the benefit of additional airflow/less inlet restriction outweights the negatives IMO. The boost targets are 19.3psi...so hitting barely over 20psi is not that big of an issue. I would not be concerned, with the higher fuel pressure...the car apears to be perfectly fine with these small and short spikes. The throttle has been programmed to close as follows. The top number is the RPM point, the bottom number is the pressure level.

1000 1500 2000 2250 2500 3000 3500 4000 4500 5000 5500 6000 6500 7000
12.94 12.94 12.94 12.94 13.66 17.05 19.05 21.30 21.05 20.80 20.38 19.71 19.04 19.04
I think we have things set up appropriately. We also have a ful cut set to go off just above these pressure levels for every RPM point. If boost gets too out of control, the ECU will shut things down appropriately.

Your airflow is pretty significant, here is a fun trick. If you graph your Mass Airflow and Calculated Load (multiplied by 132 to get it to cross at ~5252 [remember that HP = (TQ * RPM)/5252 ;)] and to normalize it againse MAF Airflow) against RPM...your Calculated Load = TQ and your MAF flow = HP. Below is this graph of your 3rd gear datalog. Pretty cool IMO.
http://www.accessecu.com/Christian/MS3/Stage1+cpN+TIH 91 v100 +CDFP BT vB.jpg
Your next calibration revision is up...a little more WGDC down low, and some additional timing up top.

FYI, when you see airflow go flat (on a dyno I can almost guarantee that HP would be doing the exact same thing), it is telling you as a calibrator that you are out of airflow. Your WGDC % getting to the 90s during the pull is also telling us the same thing.

If we see that no additional airflow comes in with the slightly increased timing or if the ECU says it is not happy with increased KR...then we know to pull the timing back out.

COBB Calibration Team.

Bit over my head but im learning

Fobio
01-22-2011, 11:27 PM
I did Dano's scaling back when there was something called a Load Cap... =)

Anyway, I needed to have a clean tune for what's to come, so with the help of Dano, I've migrated my calibrations over to a clean 1.08 map for my mods. I did not change fueling or ignition tables, and Dano pointed out all I needed to do was to change CL - Max load D to 1.25 (and as per Dano, I might try 1.10) across, and all the CL - Max Throttle tables to 100 across.

I kept all my smooth throttle, aggressive traction control, tweaked CL/OL transition, and my own TRL tables. I also reverted back to the 1.03R MAF values that were perfect for me.

I have 2 logs for comparison...one from last yr's summer (where I did 2 solid weeks of Load tuning) and the same calibrations minus scaling (fueling and ignition/timing) on a clean slate 1.08.

datalog239 is from last yr...summary:

max Calc Load was 184 @ 3500rpm, max mg/s was 241 @ 6000rpm, max Boost 20.88 psi @ 4600rpm

datalog241 is the clean slate 1.08...summary:

max Calc load is 2.03 (203) @ 3500rpm, max mg/s is 279 @ 6500rpm , max Boost 18.86 psi @ 6000rpm

I'm very happy with this and hopefully, will help me start off with my attempt at boost base tuning.