PDA

View Full Version : 2010 MS3 replacing engine components

WillyH
11-22-2010, 12:50 AM
Hey all,

I have been looking into CP-E's website and found that they have custom rods and pistons to make my engine stronger so I can reach my whp and tq goals and greatly reduce the risk of damage. I don't know where to get head studs though.

The process for getting my engine strengthened would be to buy these parts and take my car into a shop and have them implemented right? The parts would cost a total of approx. $1500 CAD and maybe the installation would be maybe 4 hours, so another $400. Total $2000?

http://cp-e.com/product/mzr-23-disi-pistons

http://cp-e.com/content/mzr-23-disi-rods

Forgive me if I'm being naive, but I am really interested in getting into racing and from what I've researched, the engine is the main issue. I know FWD is also the issue because of the weight shifting, but I will also get AWD hooked up in the near future (I know it will be expensive).

Please give me your thoughts and ideas.

Please no flamming.

Thank you,

Willy

stevenma188
11-22-2010, 12:58 AM
Just curious where did you get the 4hrs? I think it would take longer than that.

taz4432
11-22-2010, 01:50 AM
I don't even know where to start...I will say this though - you're trying to simplify things that are not nearly so simple.

-What about new/stronger rod bolts?
-What compresion ratio do you plan to run - lower?
-Going to get your block honed/machined/etc.?
-Taking the engine out/apart by yourself and taking the block and parts to the engine builder?
-Going to get stronger head bolts/studs?
-Going to rebuild your head with new springs/valves/retainers/etc.? (It'd be pretty foolish to spend all the money on a bottom end and keep the head completely stock. You'd just be asking for something to go boom!)
-Going to get bigger injectors?
-What tuning solution are you going to use?
-You will have NO power/drivetrain warranty.
-You'll need a new head gasket/seals/etc.

Why would you do this to a 2010 MS3? Why not pick up a MazdaSpeed 6 which already has the AWD and the same DISI engine and then work with that or at least an older MS3...it's lighter and you won't have to worry about ruining the warranty on a brand new car.

therolexguy
11-22-2010, 06:48 AM
:loco

Mazda-Moots
11-22-2010, 07:23 AM
Noob

PearlM3
11-22-2010, 07:43 AM
Why not get a different car if your gonna do all this to it. One that has AWD already.

WeatherB
11-22-2010, 09:18 AM
You should sell the car and get something else that is more in line with your goals, perhaps the STI or similiar.

Doing what you suggested is more than a 4 hour job. You need to pull the engine out of the car and then tear it apart. Also, people don't suggest forged pistons for a daily driver.

The costs of doing this just don't make sense for a FWD car.

kckev99
11-22-2010, 11:48 AM
trade in your 2010 for a used Subaru STI

AWD + 300HP out of the box.

gotak
11-22-2010, 02:03 PM
I am not sure if you are running the engine stock whether you need any of this. After all you run out of steam way before the red line. Are you doing other stuff like putting a bigger turbo on? Which leads to the other stuff people were talking about.

Adding one more to the list: bigger/better high pressure fuel pumps might be needed if you get bigger injectors. Will also need new electronics/firmware to go with it all.

And on the other end of the fast equation, you'll need bigger brakes so you can stop.

As for AWD yikes that's going to cost way much.

It's one of those situations where people will ask you why didn't you just buy a car that cames with AWD like the STI.

You say you want to do this for "racing". Honestly, the car's like the last thing you should worry about in racing. You need to learn to race first with track days and instructors. That alone is going to cost a pot of gold before you feel the need for a faster car.

horto
11-22-2010, 02:12 PM
:pop