PDA

View Full Version : Search Limitations

sudz
11-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Being a quasi DBA... I know that there are usually very good reasons for restricted search terms...

However the inability to look up KYB, or 185 65 R15 and such is highly limiting!

Any chance to perhaps even get the minimum character count in a word reduced to 2 instead of 3 characters?

S.F.W.
11-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Unfortunately because of the way Vbulletin search is handled now, reducing the minimum search character count, would put a very heavy load on our host. I have previously inquired, and the result would be a drastic increase in our operating expenses. For the near future we will not be changing the search minimums.

sudz
11-22-2010, 11:49 AM
I figured as such. Couldn't hurt to try!

Nobody here has a hosting company running out of their basement? lol

froggy
11-22-2010, 12:14 PM
does the search function recognize wild card characters as a character? ie could you use *Kyb to do a 3 character search?

S.F.W.
11-22-2010, 12:16 PM
does the search function recognize wild card characters as a character? ie could you use *Kyb to do a 3 character search?

unfortunately this does not work.

Fuyuzora
11-22-2010, 06:38 PM
I personally bypass these issues by using Google:

http://www.google.ca/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=site:torontomazda3.ca+kyb&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=

Downside is it's only as up-to-date as the most recent indexing. But it should still be enough to find a classic thread which you've lost track of, or to find a few previous threads on a subject.

sudz
11-23-2010, 11:33 AM
BRILLIANT! Thanks!

TheMAN
11-24-2010, 12:01 PM
for certain keywords like "KYB" or "CAI", vbulletin allows the administrator to make a exception word list to bypass the search character limit... it is tedious to do though because one has to think of all the common 2-3 character words you want to allow searched

cwp_sedan
11-24-2010, 12:27 PM
for certain keywords like "KYB" or "CAI", vbulletin allows the administrator to make a exception word list to bypass the search character limit... it is tedious to do though because one has to think of all the common 2-3 character words you want to allow searched

Correct.

Unfortunately those settings are trumped by the host/server setup. We looked into this a while ago as it is a bit of a paint but there is nothing we can do without upgrading our package.

TheMAN
11-27-2010, 11:41 AM
it has nothing to do with the host! this is all configured under vbulletin's admincp!
however, if the server is crap and when you added those exceptions, it crashed the server or bogged it down, that's a different story :)

thekid
11-27-2010, 11:57 AM
If you guys want I can give you all of the 3 letter care related exceptions that I've setup on TOP. Like Edwin said, the exceptions portion is in the Vbulletin admincp. Adding only 100 or so exceptions should add any significant load to the server.

Also if you need a host with a near perfect track record and very respectable rates, I can put you in touch with a great company that is very inexpensive for what you get. In the 5 years we've been with them, they haven't been down once.

thekid
11-27-2010, 11:58 AM
^ that should read "should not add"

cwp_sedan
11-27-2010, 12:53 PM
it has nothing to do with the host! this is all configured under vbulletin's admincp!
however, if the server is crap and when you added those exceptions, it crashed the server or bogged it down, that's a different story :)

Yes it does.

If you guys want I can give you all of the 3 letter care related exceptions that I've setup on TOP. Like Edwin said, the exceptions portion is in the Vbulletin admincp. Adding only 100 or so exceptions should add any significant load to the server.

Also if you need a host with a near perfect track record and very respectable rates, I can put you in touch with a great company that is very inexpensive for what you get. In the 5 years we've been with them, they haven't been down once.

TOP is still running VB 3.x.x. Ver 4 has changed everything. We used to be able to do 3 character searches prior to the upgrade.

S.F.W.
The search limitations - VB 4.X is different from 3.X . ToP is still running 3.8, we are running VB 4, and search is handled much differently. Vbulletin completely changed the way search is handled when version 4 came out.

S.F.W.
Yes it does.

TOP is still running VB 3.x.x. Ver 4 has changed everything. We used to be able to do 3 character searches prior to the upgrade.

HAHA, beaten to the punch.

TheMAN
11-28-2010, 07:43 AM
more reason to hate VB4 lol